QAFL 2023 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Going to be a great comp next year seems like majority of clubs will be super competitive and several of those that missed finals this year look like they will improve plenty in 2024. It’ll make for some unpredictable results which adds interest and overall the standard feels like it’ll continue to get better

Palm Beach picking up Aaaron Hall ,, and of cause Tom Hickey ,, very good gains and Armitage as coach . Will be interesting to see the influence these 3 guys can have for Palm Beach , Remember Palmy are super strong in all grades so look out for them in 2024

Palm Beach picking up Aaaron Hall ,, and of cause Tom Hickey ,, very good gains and Armitage as coach . Will be interesting to see the influence these 3 guys can have for Palm Beach , Remember Palmy are super strong in all grades so look out for them in 2024
Keep an eye on Dylan Patterson for PBC as well. One of the best 2025 draft prospects after being named in the U16 AA team and played 8 senior QAFL games for Palmy this year as a 15 year old.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know this isn’t QAFL related but just saw on fb another central Victorian club has gone into recess for 2024 in the outer east league. I don’t know much about country footy in VIC but it’s interesting how there are clubs down there who can afford players from QLD for fifo each week. But then there are others who are outright financially destroyed like Broadford FC. Seems to be quite the disparity between those financially stable clubs and those who are struggling.

I know this isn’t QAFL related but just saw on fb another central Victorian club has gone into recess for 2024 in the outer east league. I don’t know much about country footy in VIC but it’s interesting how there are clubs down there who can afford players from QLD for fifo each week. But then there are others who are outright financially destroyed like Broadford FC. Seems to be quite the disparity between those financially stable clubs and those who are struggling.

The country teams and clubs are battling demographics I’m afraid. Just not enough young locals to fill the teams so it’s pretty much spend up to get enough players and talent or really battle to put any sort of competitive team out there.

It puts big pressure on club volunteers particularly in clubs that don’t have the sponsors/benefactors that their competitors have.

Depends how country clubs are structured. A lot of them own farms, cattle, pubs etc that have put them in good stead.

I know the league’s around Bendigo the country clubs in lower level competitions are way more financially set up then the City type clubs playing in Bendigo League.

Depends how country clubs are structured. A lot of them own farms, cattle, pubs etc that have put them in good stead.

I know the league’s around Bendigo the country clubs in lower level competitions are way more financially set up then the City type clubs playing in Bendigo League.
True, but in general the fact is that there are to many clubs in Victoria and becaouse of todays world so to speak quite a number have merged or totally disbanded ,, and this will continue.

The country teams and clubs are battling demographics I’m afraid. Just not enough young locals to fill the teams so it’s pretty much spend up to get enough players and talent or really battle to put any sort of competitive team out there.

It puts big pressure on club volunteers particularly in clubs that don’t have the sponsors/benefactors that their competitors have.
In this case Broadford have had a pretty tumultuous recent history which hasn't helped getting players to go there. Sometimes we have to be careful just blaming "demographics" because there are much smaller towns doing okay. Powell town that plays in the same competition and won the premiership has a population of 214....

Lots of clubs playing with 6 point players from the vultures next year let’s hope these clubs have the space for them and these players know the rules.
Yeah I suppose it depends where there off too GK.I know now we couldn’t fit them in,the points system with a transient population is a constant headache.I see Surfers have signed one from Vultures but from memory they had heaps of points to play with.Even Aspley who have signed their best player were 5 or 6 points under on Grand Final day.They lose Freeman also who was a 7 I think!

No points in the 2s
There will be a few 6 pointers.

Leahy & MacDonald are quality players and will play ones at Aspley

Smith & Carbone are quality players will play one’s at Redlands

Milford is a quality player will play ones at Morningside

Pearce will play ones at Grange and make a difference.

Light is FIFO to Vic country I n 2024

Tome & Torney headed to metro VIC.

There may a couple to Coorparoo for Friday nights to play with mates.

Whispers are that Vultures had 40+ at training this past week with a couple returning that weren’t expected and building nicely. I have been told that Hammer and McClennan have been recruiting and keeping it under wraps. May have to wait and see how the new year progresses.

Hope they get it together in time to be competitive.

There will be a few 6 pointers.

Leahy & MacDonald are quality players and will play ones at Aspley

Smith & Carbone are quality players will play one’s at Redlands

Milford is a quality player will play ones at Morningside

Pearce will play ones at Grange and make a difference.

Light is FIFO to Vic country I n 2024

Tome & Torney headed to metro VIC.

There may a couple to Coorparoo for Friday nights to play with mates.

Whispers are that Vultures had 40+ at training this past week with a couple returning that weren’t expected and building nicely. I have been told that Hammer and McClennan have been recruiting and keeping it under wraps. May have to wait and see how the new year progresses.

Hope they get it together in time to be competitive.
Still a big list management job as they lost 10-12 of their best 22 and most of them 1 pointers. How do you replace them with decent recruits at 2-4 points?

Good luck to them and hopefully they can be competitive but this is a 3 year fix at a minimum.

Not sure Carbone plays 1s at Redland, and Dyl Smith is a gun, but where does he fit with Hammelman, Huddy, Pakau, Brown, Williams already filling most of the roles he can play? Especially with clay Cameron signed on as well.

Would think Morningside have the biggest points headache of them all? Cockatoo, Milford, Winton all 6 pointers and McDonagh & Bertoli-Simmonds would be 5 each.

A team that floated around 40-42 points have added 28 points across 5 players.

Remove this Banner Ad

QAFL 2023 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back