QAFL 2024 season

Remove this Banner Ad

"Tradition V Trivia" (for anyone interested):

The fascinating thing for me this week is that of the six clashes this week, none of them have any history in the previous millennium. Two of the games have records going back only as far as 2000. For a competition that endured for 114 years, it is remarkable that the most number of past encounters for any game this week is 38 (Broadbeach and Redland).
Anyway, here is this week:

Round 10

Noosa V Palm Beach Currumbin

Played 14: Noosa 6 – Palm Beach 8 (QAFL 2011-2013, 2021-2024)
Overall 37: Noosa 12 – Palm Beach 25 (2000-2013, 2021-2024)
The first time these two clubs met was in 2000 when the BAFL and GCAFL (or QAFL Div 2) merged. Noosa triumphed on that first occasion with a two-point victory over an inaccurate Palm Beach. I guess the Lions didn’t like that, as they won the next eight contests over the following four years in the AFLSQ Premier Division. Some years later, Noosa scored a rare win in the 2009 Second Semi-Final – yet Palm Beach enjoyed the ultimate result with a premiership two weeks later.
The QAFL record is evenly matched, albeit with not many close games. Considering there has only ever been one game decided by a kick, it should not be too surprising to find out that the average QAFL margin has been over 40 points across all 14 games.

Broadbeach V Redland Victoria Point
Played 38: Broadbeach 20 – Draw 1 – Redland 17 (QAFL 2000-2013, 2021-2024)
Historically, this is the most prolific clash of the weekend with a grand total of 38 games played. It could have been even more if COVID didn’t rob us all of one extra meeting!
What really stands out for me in this game is how many close results have been recorded. There have been 8 matches decided by a single-digit margin (including the one draw). That means the Cats V Sharks games are running with a close result at a rate of better than one in every five games. The last four games have had margins of 4, 9, 22, and 3 (in reverse chronological order).
The Sharks are 17 goals short of 500 against Broadbeach.

Wilston Grange V Labrador
Played 18: Wilston Grange 4 – Labrador 14 (2014-2023)
Both of these clubs have been around a real long time! In QAFL circles, Wilston Grange commenced in 1950, and Labrador moved across from the GCAFL in 1997.
And yet, mostly due to fluctuations in the Grange experience, they’ve only crossed paths in a fixture match 18 times.
The Tigers have dominated these games. There have only been two games decided by less than 10 points – and they were both won by the Gorillas.

Aspley V Morningside
Played 14: Aspley 9 - Morningside 5 (2009-2013,2022-2023)
Here is another clash that whilst both clubs have been prominent within Brisbane for many decades, they have only ever met within the QAFL competitions – and for a total of only 14 games. Aspley has been more successful recently, having won the last seven encounters between the two clubs.
Aspley is only three short of 200 goals against Morningside. Similarly, the Panthers require only 10 goals to reach 200 against the Hornets. How close does the aggregated score get? Well, Aspley has kicked 197-163-1345 compared with Morningside 190-166-1306 – so if Morningside wins this game by 39 points, then the historical score will be all locked up.

Surfers Paradise V Mt Gravatt
Played 21: Surfers Paradise 10 – Mt Gravatt 11 (2014-2023)
First meeting in fixtures after the Vultures stepped back from the NEAFL, this rivalry has proven to be very close. Four of the games have been decided by a goal or less (so once again, nailbiter games have occurred close to once in every five encounters).
Similar to the previous game, let’s work a couple of assumptions: if Surfers Paradise win, the record will become 11-all. And if they win by 101 points, then the historical score will be even too. At this moment, within Surfers Paradise and Mt Gravatt clashes, the Vultures are ahead by 11–35-101.

Maroochydore V Sherwood
Played 10: Maroochydore 4 – Sherwood 6 (2011-2013,2020-2023)
Overall 14: Maroochydore 4 – Sherwood 10 (2005-2008, 2011-2013, 2020-2023)
This is one of only two games this weekend that has pre-QAFL history – but not much though.
Two of the QAFL results have been decided by less than 10 points – so I guess that is another example of 1 in every 5 games being close. It made me wonder: how often do “close games” occur in the QAFL? It turns out that the incidence of results with a margin of less than ten points across all QAFL games is just under 14.5%.

As usual, if anyone disagrees with any details, or has more information to share, please let me know – I want to get these records as accurate as possible.

Enjoy. :thumbsu:

Toucan Soup

Have you been able to source any GCAFL scores from the Gold Coast Bulletin from any libraries or historical societies.

I remember as a youngster it good coverage in the early 80s and when I was in the state library in Melbourne last week, someone was going through old copies from the 70s.
Thanks, MortlockWatcher
Unless anyone else comes good with some GCAFL or SCAFL results (or maybe even some 1977 SQAFA results), I know I will be able to source a lot the info from the microfiche files at SLQ.
The big test is finding the time, patience, and inclination to sit through that tedious task.

I've relied on the microfiche files for a lot of the SQAFA/BAFL results. I would often find that either the local newspapers were deficient with accurate reporting (or sometimes no results at all) or the clubs had been lousy by not calling in their scores. As mentioned, 1977 was an extremely poor year for Sunday Mail local results of all codes (and I can't figure out why). Any info from credible sources is taken into consideration.

🤜:boom:🤛

My Tips for Round 10

Palm Beach Currumbin
Redland Victoria Point
Wilston Grange
Aspley
Surfers Paradise
Maroochydore

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Concerned about Labrador coming to Hickey Park today. They've had some all-over-the-shop results this season. Grange wouldn't want to take the game frivolously. I do think it'll be a home victory but I wouldn't place money on it.

Btw guys I am almost completely uneducated on this player points system. I get the basic concept and the intent, but now I'm starting to entertain that when the points tub is pretty much full (eg with Grange) high points players just can't all be squeezed in at the same time, so players are rested to rotate the points around? Originally I thought it was just call-ups to VFL etc (eg Bailey Gordon who I'm a massive rap for) is in and out, but is there an actual "just can't play them all at the same time" issue sometimes, based on points? Or am I misreading this?

Concerned about Labrador coming to Hickey Park today. They've had some all-over-the-shop results this season. Grange wouldn't want to take the game frivolously. I do think it'll be a home victory but I wouldn't place money on it.

Btw guys I am almost completely uneducated on this player points system. I get the basic concept and the intent, but now I'm starting to entertain that when the points tub is pretty much full (eg with Grange) high points players just can't all be squeezed in at the same time, so players are rested to rotate the points around? Originally I thought it was just call-ups to VFL etc (eg Bailey Gordon who I'm a massive rap for) is in and out, but is there an actual "just can't play them all at the same time" issue sometimes, based on points? Or am I misreading this?

Yeah, i recon you are right. Gorillas Certainly not the 95% certainties that the tipping suggests.

Last edited:
Aspley with a comfortable win at the end to give Morningside their first loss. Morningside are good but gee when Aspley turn it on they are a class above. And around the 25-27 (can’t quite remember the time) minute mark in the 4th, Morningside ruckman gets what looks like a shoulder to the face and went down. Ended up coming off but too hard to see if reportable or not as it was on the far end.

Aspley with a comfortable win at the end to give Morningside their first loss. Morningside are good but gee when Aspley turn it on they are a class above. And around the 25-27 (can’t quite remember the time) minute mark in the 4th, Morningside ruckman gets what looks like a shoulder to the face and went down. Ended up coming off but too hard to see if reportable or not as it was on the far end.
Aspley have been like that for the past 3 years ,, 2 flags and headed for the 3 Peat

Remove this Banner Ad

Back