QAFL 2024 season

Remove this Banner Ad

So it’s not a QLD State side then

Historically you could only play state footy for the state you're playing in at the time. Hence a Qld born player in the Tassie team, & various Tas & Vic born players in the Qld team.
The alternative is state of origin, but that is only really possible at the AFL level. Trying to get a Tassie team with some SANFL & VFL players wouldn't be possible. Same for any Qld lads playing interstate.

Historically you could only play state footy for the state you're playing in at the time. Hence a Qld born player in the Tassie team, & various Tas & Vic born players in the Qld team.
The alternative is state of origin, but that is only really possible at the AFL level. Trying to get a Tassie team with some SANFL & VFL players wouldn't be possible. Same for any Qld lads playing interstate.
Not even possible at the afl level. Dunstall pulled the jumper on for VIC as did many non victorians over the years once SOO came in.

So it’s not a QLD State side then
U might be able to answer this more accurately SM but I doubt any Queensland state team has ever been made up of bona fide Qldrs soley. Might be wrong. But with guys like John Blair and Crowley playing during the 80s highly unlikely I’d think

Last edited:
Hi, just thought I'd mention the fact that although Tassie don't lose players to their own VFL side, we continually lose players to SANFL, VFL & QAFL. So Its a bit misleading to think its only a QAFL issue. The TSL side, like the QAFL are rep sides for those competitions. (although Tassie picked 2 guys from lower regional competitions because of standout performances).
I doubt Tassie will have a state team moving forward. AFL Tas have killed the TSL for next year. We'll have a VFL team, & AFL Devils from 2028. Below that we'll go back to 3 regional comps. The standard will drop, players will still try SANFL, VFL & QAFL as the regional level wont be able to keep the better players who want a better challenge & opportunity to improve their footy.
Its a pity. AFLTas did this when we had the last VFL team in 2001-2008. We lost players to other states as regional footy was not much of an attraction. They never learn. We do need a TSL as part of the 'pathway' like the QAFL is.
Anyway it was a nice win but sadly, state games don't really mean much anymore. :(
No agree with all that MM but with 3 vfl teams in the state there are a lot of unlisted afl players running around at that level rather than playing qafl footy. Its not really a state team but a qafl team

No agree with all that MM but with 3 vfl teams in the state there are a lot of unlisted afl players running around at that level rather than playing qafl footy. Its not really a state team but a qafl team
Smy , correct thats right ,, its a QAFL team missing plenty who didnt want to play or their club did not want them to play ..
Put it simply,, its 2024 and this format of our game is dead and buried ,,, waste of time now .

Sadly there really is no Qld team anymore. Development footy in 16s and 18s has gone the way of the Academies and apart from one Under 17 game a year locals are denied the chance to show pride in their state.

It would never happen but who wouldn't watch a "best of the rest" State of Origin featuring non-AFL listed players only. Pool A: Vic / SA / WA, Pool B: Allies / Tas / NT. Only two games each. Win Pool B get promoted for the following season, 3rd in Pool A gets relegated. Great way to get exposure if you're on the fringe or have been otherwise overlooked throughout your footy journey as well.

Sadly there really is no Qld team anymore. Development footy in 16s and 18s has gone the way of the Academies and apart from one Under 17 game a year locals are denied the chance to show pride in their state.
There’s an U18 qld girls team that plays in the national champs. But sadly you are right. Best boys can only play allies.
Only at school level does it still exist with 15s and in fact is being brought back at the Open level in 2025?

There’s an U18 qld girls team that plays in the national champs. But sadly you are right. Best boys can only play allies.
Only at school level does it still exist with 15s and in fact is being brought back at the Open level in 2025?
I don't think you can equate some kids games with senior interstate games. Sadly they are a thing of the past I'm afraid.

"Tradition V Trivia" (for anyone interested):

Back for more “stuff” following the break for the representative games:

Round 12

Wilston Grange V Palm Beach Currumbin

Played 23: Wilston Grange 5 – Palm Beach 18 (QAFL 2011-2024)
Overall 39: Wilston Grange 8 – Palm Beach 31 (2000, 2002-2024)
Historically, Palm Beach has been able to cover the Gorillas. This week feels a different prospect though.
During their QAFL era together, across the 23 games, Palm Beach has only scored less than 10 goals once. Once Palm Beach reaches 12 points this week, they will have scored 2,500 against Grange.
Prior to the QAFL, the Lions dominated the clashes, although this also largely coincided with the reformation of Senior football at Wilston Grange.

Surfers Paradise V Redland Victoria Point
Played 4: Surfers Paradise 1 – Redland 3 (QAFL 2021-2023)
Not a lot to report here. The lowest winning margin between the two teams is 14 points. It feels like another game extremely tough to tip.

Maroochydore V Broadbeach
Played 10: Maroochydore 0 – Broadbeach 10 (1998-1999, 2020-2023)
The most obvious aspect here is that the Roos have never defeated Broadbeach. In amongst the ten games, the 2021 Grand Final is included.
There has only ever been one game decided by less than ten points – and that occurred the last time they met in Round 10 2023. Broadbeach has never kicked less than 12 goals in a game against Maroochydore.

Noosa V Aspley
Played 3: Noosa 1 – Aspley 2 (QAFL 2022-2023)
Overall 38: Noosa 28 – Aspley 10 (1993-2008, 2022-2023)
The two shortest named clubs in the QAFL with the shortest QAFL record.
Yet overall, across all competitions, the clashes have been dominated by Noosa. From the time Noosa joined the BAFL in 1993, the club was a strong competitor. I cannot imagine there were many people who relished a journey up the Bruce Highway to play the Tigers – unless of course, they were staying up there overnight. Regardless, more often than not, you were probably ending the day with a Loss (at least on the field).
The clashes of these two clubs includes the 1997 BAFL Grand Final, won by Noosa by 9 points.

Mt Gravatt V Morningside
Played 74: Mt Gravatt 30 – Draw 1 - Morningside 43 (1994-2024)
There are not too many substantial histories left in the modern QAFL.
Across 30 years of QAFL contests, the two clubs have played in nine Finals, including the 2003 and 2009 Grand Finals. Sixteen of the games have been had single-digit margins. And Mt Gravatt is only 22 points short of scoring 6,000 against Morningside across the 74 games.
Earlier this year, I saw a competitive first half from the Vultures against Morningside. How good would it be if they could repeat that across a whole game this week.

Sherwood V Labrador
Played 30: Sherwood 10 – Labrador 20 (2001-2004, 2009-2010, 2014-2024)
Not trying to influence anyone here, but I reckon this is the fourth tough game to tip this week.
There have been four games with a margin of less than ten points (two apiece) – but another four have been decided by over 100 points (all won by Labrador). They have only ever played one final against each other: a Semi-Final in 2016.
The Magpies are only 39 points from 2,000 against Labrador. On the other hand, if Labrador had a thumping win, they require a score of 146 to reach 3,000 points.

As usual, if anyone disagrees with any details, or has more information to share, please let me know – I want to get these records as accurate as possible.

Enjoy. 🤜 :boom: 🤛

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back