QAFL 2024 season

Remove this Banner Ad

IBroadbeach weighing up their options on Nolan.

But only rumours??

Told the win over the Roos last weekend may have stopped some of the drums beating. Cats getting a few top liners back to fitness and young lads standing up, but have got Morningside, Grange and Aspley in their run home.

Apparently Nolan only attends Thursday training due to his work commitments, which could be a factor also.

Told the win over the Roos last weekend may have stopped some of the drums beating. Cats getting a few top liners back to fitness and young lads standing up, but have got Morningside, Grange and Aspley in their run home.

Apparently Nolan only attends Thursday training due to his work commitments, which could be a factor also.
Sounds incredibly weird that a guy is appointed coach of a qafl team and can only attend Thurs nights ???

Ben has played 7 games in the seniors for Keilor this year SM - 2x in best and 2 games for Collingwood VFL side in May. Played senior footy all year from what i can see - not sure where your info is from?
He has been named in East Keilor Reserves a few times recently and not played. Not sure if it’s a points thing or form.

Played two games top up for Collingwood VFL when they had a heap of injuries and took anyone they could. He isn’t on there list as such.

Seen him play against Keilor as he played on my young bloke. So that’s how I know a bit about it Smy

Yep not sure when thats from, his current stats from Essendon FL says 7 senior games and 2 vfl games, last game on on 22 June. Doesn't really matter, be interesting to see how he goes, outside noise suggests footy may not be his main priority atm
I think that might be the youngest brother that has the other issues to contend with.

Any thoughts on the Colts competition?
With youth now going to up to 17.5 now (at one time it used to max out at 16.0 a few years ago and the Colts were 18.0) it’s really a slow developers comp now? I’d really be interested in any stats that show on average how many graduating Colts play QAFL ressies at their club the following year.

I think that might be the youngest brother that has the other issues to contend with.
Yes SM I’m hearing the same.I wouldn’t think AFLQ would approve a clearance to someone who may face sexual assault charges,particually with domestic violence issues at the forefront and the AFLW space so present.
Ben was talking pre season about having a sea change,I’d say the latest issue surrounding his sibling may have helped in his decision.
And with our injury list we will take everyone we can get especially at that height

With youth now going to up to 17.5 now (at one time it used to max out at 16.0 a few years ago and the Colts were 18.0) it’s really a slow developers comp now? I’d really be interested in any stats that show on average how many graduating Colts play QAFL ressies at their club the following year.

If i think about all the colts that went through and now play ressies or senior footy that ive witnessed, all of them were given games in ressie/senior footy while still in their colts year. I cant think of one that didnt have a game or two in ressies/seniors as a colt and went through the following year to ressies/seniors.

If i think about all the colts that went through and now play ressies or senior footy that ive witnessed, all of them were given games in ressie/senior footy while still in their colts year. I cant think of one that didnt have a game or two in ressies/seniors as a colt and went through the following year to ressies/seniors.
Yeah the colts had always been a talked about issue.I still don’t know the logic behind only QAFL clubs having colts but know a lack of or fluctuating numbers in this space is an issue everywhere.
I like the 17 age group as the final age in youth footy and would think it’s a better age to transcend into colts or under 19 footy.As mentioned before though the colts system adopted by the Vic Amos where kids transfer from high school footy into old boys club colts is a definite winner and lasted the rest of time without being jiggered around with!
From a Noosa perspective,the interest in our 17s wanting to play colts has been terrific this year,plenty of colts playing seniors on the back of positive decisions and mindset of our Senior coaches! Not a heap of wins right now but they will come

If you look across the competition, all the best Colts side have a mix of plenty of u17 eligible players in them, some of them have a few u15 eligible players. Some clubs are obviously taking a best available approach, others use their Colts exclusively for kids who have aged out of u17 footy.

Plenty of senior teams also have u17 and Colts eligible players such as Broadbeach, Wilston Grange, Sherwood and Palmy (and of course Mt Gravatt)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely not the case for us.

We have a high retention rate from Colts, and we rarely (almost never) play Colts eligible players in the 2s, if they are an emergency for Seniors and they really want to play 2s, then sure - but most opt to play Colts.

I accept we are younger than most, but our Colts side on the weekend had 11 eligible u17 players and 1 eligible u15 player.

Our Senior side had 5 eligible Colts and 2 eligible u17s.

18 of the 22 Reserves came from our Colts in the last 5 years (none of whom played much (or any) Reserves or seniors when they were Colts)

Definitely not the case for us.

18 of the 22 Reserves came from our Colts in the last 5 years (none of whom played much (or any) Reserves or seniors when they were Colts)

Perennially Struggling Sherwood had 18 of 22 ressies on the weekend and none of whom played ressies or 1sts in their 18th (or 19th) year.

HORSE SHIT!

Edit. I found 4 of the 6 names i searched from the weekend, played ressies or seniors while still colts. Couldnt be bothered searching them all.

Last edited:
"None of whom played MUCH (if any)"

If any of them did, it was doubling up.

Looking at who played 2s on the weekend. Only one of them played a single senior game when they were a Colt.

The rest of them I don't think ever played 2s instead of Colts ever, 3 or 4 of them might have doubled up occasionally when the 2022/23 injury curse was at its worst.

At least 4-5 of them played in a Colts Premiership as well.

Broady appear to certainly go via a different policy

Lots of young blokes (even u17s) are playing in their Reserves, rather than Colts or u17s.

Interesting the different ways all the clubs seem to do it.

Not sure why any Colts kid would want to play Reserves? Or are some clubs old school and pick their best 44 and then backfill? Would leave it hard to field a Colts team at all at some clubs.

Why would Thommo lie? You’re a strange unit…

Who, me? 🤣

4 of the 6 one the names i knew in the sherwood team i looked at from this weeks ressies team had played senior footy (ressie and 1s). Which is a bit better strike rate than what 'Miller' suggested.

As i said; "... footy that ive witnessed."

Footy I witnessed. That doesnt mean i think it happened everywhere. Just what ive seen.

Lots of young blokes (even u17s) are playing in their Reserves, rather than Colts or u17s.

Not sure why any Colts kid would want to play Reserves? Or are some clubs old school and pick their best 44 and then backfill? Would leave it hard to field a Colts team at all at some clubs.

Perhaps clubs like to introduce kids to senior footy while in their last year of colts at least. Some kids really want to. Some probably loose a bit of nervousness about playing v men by doing it. Also Shows them there is still footy for them when they leave juniors?

See Jacob Townsend has re signed with Southport leaving Broadbeach .. !!!!

Playing a bit of 2s in your 19th year makes sense, either to make up numbers or gain experience.

Its strange to be playing 17s eligible kids in Reserves (just my view, obviously others will see it differently)

those youngsters stepping up to Colts because they are good enough makes sense, but just don't see the benefit of a 16-17 year old running around in the magoos.

I totally understand anyone playing seniors once they are good enough, reagrdless of age (though you have to be 15)

Who, me? 🤣

4 of the 6 one the names i knew in the sherwood team i looked at from this weeks ressies team had played senior footy (ressie and 1s). Which is a bit better strike rate than what 'Miller' suggested.

As i said; "... footy that ive witnessed."

Footy I witnessed. That doesnt mean i think it happened everywhere. Just what ive seen.

I really need to stop worrying about whatever you post and just ignore…

He has been named in East Keilor Reserves a few times recently and not played. Not sure if it’s a points thing or form.

Played two games top up for Collingwood VFL when they had a heap of injuries and took anyone they could. He isn’t on there list as such.

Seen him play against Keilor as he played on my young bloke. So that’s how I know a bit about it Smy
May be so SM but he’s been named 7x in their senior side and even if the pies were short I’m sure they didn’t go and pick complete spuds to pull on the jumper

Imo think the order of selection should go seniors, colts, 2s with flexibility around the colts/2s order. Ie do we want to see a kid play against men before promoting to seniors as one reason but if the senior side is performing badly u night parachute them in anyway. Alternatively playing a weak reserves side but strong colts oppo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back