QAFL 2024 season

Remove this Banner Ad

Great game of footy at Morningside today with Aspley just to clean in the end with better ball use when it counted.

From the games I have seen this year it was definitely a step up and great advertisement for the code in QLD.

Hopefully that’s not the best standard of umpires we have as if so we in trouble GF Day. No feel for the game and physical contact. Paid far too many soft free kicks and the 50m penalties were very ordinary. Both ways I might add before I get bowled down. Spoiled a good game of footy. They were the only let down of game today unfortunately.

Watched a top game today be it Aspley vs Morningside ,, The 1st Quarter was a ripper ,, fast , great passages of play and 9 goals kicked, 5 to Aspley and 4 to the Panthers... Panthers had a good 2nd quarter kicking 6 goals to 3 so at half time it was the Panthers 10 goals to 7 ... 2nd half arrives and Aspley turn up the notches like a good side does booting 9 goals in the 2nd half to Panthers only 2 goals. The Panthers still had plenty od entries into the forwrd line but Aspley just shut them down with great defensive teamwork .
Was a top class game.
And Matt Payne, what is he 38 years of age ,, geez he covered some klms and racked up a heap of touches,

Sherwood are a top four team. They made Palm Beach look mediocre today at their home ground and should be respected. Won four of their last five and look to be absolutely rolling. They have some great young players coming through.

Sherwood are a top four team. They made Palm Beach look mediocre today at their home ground and should be respected. Won four of their last five and look to be absolutely rolling. They have some great young players coming through.
The 6 certainly isn't finalised although is pretty close. Be interesting to see if they can squeeze in but will need quite a few games to go their way.

Couldn’t help but watch the replay back for the game as I couldn’t believe the score. While PBC didn’t look full strength the first half performance from Sherwood is worrying for the competition. Clean, fast, scintillating ball movement left PBC with zero answers. Definitely a team to watch for the (near) future!

TIPPING UPDATE ..
74; BIG E , PUGS
73, ALL OR NOTHING
72; QLD CLUELESS
71; MAGPIE BOY
70. WESTERMAN, FOOTY BOY,THUNDERDOC
69; TOUCAN SOUP, BIG TEX, STUY D
68. STILL ME, SMY, SIMPLE SAUCE, LAGGING BEHIND
67, DEZARIO, NWO, UP IT STUMPY
66, MOBBS,BUD 63, SPOKEN BRIZZ
65; BUNYIP
64. GOALKICKER,SWITCHING THE PLAY
63; LONGY ZILLMERE, AJ8
56; NOOSA BOY

if they were a top 4 team, they'd be in the top 4.

Almost mathematically impossible to play finals looking at the ladder, even if they win the lasst 2 by 100

if they were a top 4 team, they'd be in the top 4.

Almost mathematically impossible to play finals looking at the ladder, even if they win the lasst 2 by 100
Take it with a grain of salt Miller1971. You seem offended that a team who has notoriously struggled the past few years is finally playing good footy. Sherwood might not play finals, but they can certainly impact the final standings of the ladder. Hence I said they should be taken seriously.

Great game of footy at Morningside today with Aspley just to clean in the end with better ball use when it counted.

From the games I have seen this year it was definitely a step up and great advertisement for the code in QLD.

Hopefully that’s not the best standard of umpires we have as if so we in trouble GF Day. No feel for the game and physical contact. Paid far too many soft free kicks and the 50m penalties were very ordinary. Both ways I might add before I get bowled down. Spoiled a good game of footy. They were the only let down of game today unfortunately.

Caught the second half of this one. actually thought they let a fair bit go watching live. Looking back on the replay there's only a few it's not pretty clear what they were for

50 in the last quarter was pretty touchy. can only guess he went over the mark?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round 16 Results

The Matter that’s Stuff

Half a round or a full round with only three games. Here are the QAFL Scorigami references for Round 16, plus other potentially useless scraps of local trivia:

Aspley 16-7-103 d Morningside 12-3-75
Played 16: Aspley 11 – Morningside 5 (2009-2013, 2022-2024)
Aspley has won their past nine games against Morningside.
The Hornets have recorded their 1,500th point against Morningside (224-183-1527).
This score has occurred four times previously:
1966 R15: Mayne 15-13-103 d Morningside 11-9-75
1968 R17: Western Districts 15-13-103 d Sandgate 10-15-75
1978 R18: Windsor Zillmere 15-13-103 d Wilston Grange 10-15-75 at Hickey Park
1999 R10: Labrador 14-19-103 d Morningside 11-9-75 at Hawthorne Park
The margin of 28 points has now occurred 104 times.

Maroochydore 34-16-220 d Mt Gravatt 2-1-13
Played 11: Maroochydore 6 – Mt Gravatt 5 (QAFL 1998-1999, 2020-2024)
Overall 13: Maroochydore 8 – Mt Gravatt 5 (1993, 1998-1999, 2020-2024)
This score has never occurred before (thankfully).
Maroochydore has won their past six games against Mt Gravatt.
The Roos have recorded their 1,000th point against Mt Gravatt (156-147-1083).
The margin of 207 points has now occurred twice.
There is quite a bit to discuss here – and depending upon your perspective, it is not particularly pleasant. Here goes:
This is Maroochydore’s highest “QAFL” score, surpassing 2013 R5 SEQAFL Div 1 (yes, I include these scores from the NEAFL years) of 25-19-169 against Coolangatta.
It is the lowest score against Maroochydore, falling one point short of Noosa’s 1-8-14 two weeks ago.
Previously, Maroochydore’s greatest winning margin was 100 points (2013 RV Coolangatta, and 2021 R2 Wilston Grange).
This is Mt Gravatt’s greatest losing margin, surpassing the 196-point margin against Sherwood, just last week.
It is also the highest score against Mt Gravatt, eclipsing the scores of 2012 R14 Brisbane Lions 34-14-218, and 2024 R2 Palm Beach 33-20-218.
This is the 140th time a team has kicked 30 goals or more in a game.
This loss represents the thirteenth time Mt Gravatt has succumbed by 100 points or more in the season. The previous worst was Caloundra in 1990 with nine 100+ defeats (although there was one other game that they forfeited). This is the first time ever in QAFL that Mt Gravatt has lost by over 200 points – Caloundra endured a 200+ point loss four times in 1990.
What will future hold? For this season, there are still two games remaining for the Vultures: Redland at Home, and Broadbeach Away.

Sherwood 21-11-137 d Palm Beach Currumbin 13-5-83
Played 32: Sherwood 12 – Palm Beach 20 (QAFL 2011-2024)
Overall 48: Sherwood 19 – Palm Beach 29 (1999-2000, 2005-2008, 2011-2024)
This score has never occurred before.
The result breaks a 14-game streak for Palm Beach against Sherwood.
The margin of 54 points has now occurred 66 times.

One closing observation: it was an incredibly accurate round (albeit only three games played). In total, 98 goals were kicked, with only 43 behinds. Not bad.

I’m still hopeful we can see some close games to end the fixture season.

Take it with a grain of salt Miller1971. You seem offended that a team who has notoriously struggled the past few years is finally playing good footy. Sherwood might not play finals, but they can certainly impact the final standings of the ladder. Hence I said they should be taken seriously.
Why the change of form from start of year to end? Has there been some players added (Academy boys?) or just starting to click after a a change of coach 2 weeks before the start of the season?

Maybe the change of coach was the right call??

How would you know? Arguably it has taken most of the year for them to start to play some good, consistent footy. Would that have happened sooner if there had been continuity with the previous coach? Who knows?

They seem to have a promising group of young players coming through though. I wasn't surprised to see them beat Palm Beach on Saturday. Definitely improving, so I hope they can continue that into next season so that the competition continues to be more even, and the standard across the competition generally continues to grow. I don't think it serves anyone to have 2 or 3 teams who are miles off the pace.

How would you know? Arguably it has taken most of the year for them to start to play some good, consistent footy. Would that have happened sooner if there had been continuity with the previous coach? Who knows?

They seem to have a promising group of young players coming through though. I wasn't surprised to see them beat Palm Beach on Saturday. Definitely improving, so I hope they can continue that into next season so that the competition continues to be more even, and the standard across the competition generally continues to grow. I don't think it serves anyone to have 2 or 3 teams who are miles off the pace.
As an outsider I can only go on the win/loss and it’s improved significantly under the new coach who has been resigned for 2025.

It’s not personal with the old coach. Sometimes it just doesn’t click. Certain style and methods may work with one group of players and not another group.

As an outsider I can only go on the win/loss and it’s improved significantly under the new coach who has been resigned for 2025.

It’s not personal with the old coach. Sometimes it just doesn’t click. Certain style and methods may work with one group of players and not another group.
Agree with this however Sherwood have been on paper a talented yet young side. I would say players are starting to mature and this is resulting in wins. Marsh walked into an injury riddled Sherwood after having been assistant at a strong Aspley side so it would have taken some time for him to adjust too.

Caught the second half of this one. actually thought they let a fair bit go watching live. Looking back on the replay there's only a few it's not pretty clear what they were for

50 in the last quarter was pretty touchy. can only guess he went over the mark?
I thought the umpiring was ok,, yes a few bad decisions but that occurs every week ,, certainly did not detract the high game standard

Agree with this however Sherwood have been on paper a talented yet young side. I would say players are starting to mature and this is resulting in wins. Marsh walked into an injury riddled Sherwood after having been assistant at a strong Aspley side so it would have taken some time for him to adjust too.
Well actually he’d been coach of a rawly talented Sandgate in their last years of QAFL. So he did have experience with inexperience. The 3rd hand word I heard was that work commitments was the major factor to the separation decision. So maybe the planets just didn’t align.

not offended at all. they are going well lately, actually think their form all year has been ok. But you declared them a Top 4 team, and they are 10th on the ladder.... so, not really a Top 4 team. In fact they are 4 wins and 40% from the Top 4 and in 6 completed matches against the Top 4 they are 5 losses and 1 win, and the average margin of those losses is about 10 goals.

A team can be going well, there is no need to annoint them as a Top 4 PRemiership threat on the back of a good month.

I reckon they were always on an upwards trsajectory, from the outside, it looked a poor decision and while they were always going to improve, it probably slowed that improvement a bit. will never know.

Though of course, i do forget it was me that apparently sacked him!

not offended at all. they are going well lately, actually think their form all year has been ok. But you declared them a Top 4 team, and they are 10th on the ladder.... so, not really a Top 4 team. In fact they are 4 wins and 40% from the Top 4 and in 6 completed matches against the Top 4 they are 5 losses and 1 win, and the average margin of those losses is about 10 goals.

A team can be going well, there is no need to annoint them as a Top 4 PRemiership threat on the back of a good month.
As I said Miller1971, take it with a grain of salt. I was merely implying that the quality of football Sherwood has produced over the last month would have them on par with the top four sides of the competition. It wasn't meant to be taken literally... and I never anointed them a premiership threat 😅😅
Over My Head Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

QAFL 2024 season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back