QAFL 2024 season

Remove this Banner Ad

Come on you guys ,, The Vultures are declining whilst the competition improves in standard .
Its time to step down a Division and survive or if not they may well have to fold.
They will not attract many recruits due to obvious reasons but they may well retain a lot of their list by dropping a division,
for at the end of the day the players would like to enjoy some wins in all grades instead of the beltings they are coping .
And do you not see the AFLQ s vision ?? Like I reported this 3 seasons ago , be it Coorparoo in , Mt Gravatt out ..

Gee hope you never barracked for Fitzroy or Box Hill as a child😂
Well as you know I did both :) And the history of Fitzroy as a foundation club in the VFL tells a story that no one is entitled to a position in a competition. Box Hill were terrible in 2nd div - obviously improved when i got there :) - and this was at a time when the VFA had promotion / relegation. This is where the QAFL is different. Just not a fan of carrying clubs at State League level - it's not supposed to be for this reason. All clubs need to be competitive to a degree imo - even if you don't win games, compete.

Let them have the summer to recruit (if they haven’t started already). AFLQ has given them a life line. However in my opinion they need to show they have the depth by Jan/Feb 2025 which is step 1. Then if they get past that. Step 2 will be praccy games. If they don’t get passed step 2 then they drop out. Eg losing by 11 goals to a div 1 team and 25 goals to the u18 lions academy like they did this year. That’s how I’d see it. Then you’ve given them every opportunity.
100%

Well as you know I did both :) And the history of Fitzroy as a foundation club in the VFL tells a story that no one is entitled to a position in a competition. Box Hill were terrible in 2nd div - obviously improved when i got there :) - and this was at a time when the VFA had promotion / relegation. This is where the QAFL is different. Just not a fan of carrying clubs at State League level - it's not supposed to be for this reason. All clubs need to be competitive to a degree imo - even if you don't win games, compete.
Agree SMY and I’ve always been a big fan of the relegation/promotion system where possible.Its worked really well in my old league the MPNFL and gives clubs time and a chance to reset and rebuild👍

Agree SMY and I’ve always been a big fan of the relegation/promotion system where possible.Its worked really well in my old league the MPNFL and gives clubs time and a chance to reset and rebuild👍
Yes and this is what I think could happen now that we have 13 teams in QAFL. Just doesn't seem to be the done thing in this part of the world does it?

Come on you guys ,, The Vultures are declining whilst the competition improves in standard .
Its time to step down a Division and survive or if not they may well have to fold.
They will not attract many recruits due to obvious reasons but they may well retain a lot of their list by dropping a division,
for at the end of the day the players would like to enjoy some wins in all grades instead of the beltings they are coping .
And do you not see the AFLQ s vision ?? Like I reported this 3 seasons ago , be it Coorparoo in , Mt Gravatt out ..
2 wins in the Colts , one win in the reserves an no wins in the seniors with percentages in the 20 % ,, geez thats just so bad ,,, not knocking Mt Gravatt , just wishing to see the best thing done by the QAFL

I think you start flirting with danger if you introduce promotion/relegation in a State League Competition.

Have no problem with that in Divisions below in QLD or at Suburban Level but if you introduce at Major League Levels like SANFL or WAFL we in trouble I reckon.

I think you start flirting with danger if you introduce promotion/relegation in a State League Competition.

Have no problem with that in Divisions below in QLD or at Suburban Level but if you introduce at Major League Levels like SANFL or WAFL we in trouble I reckon.
Yea prob right SM but at same time without it there has to be minimum standards for ALL clubs that play at state league levels.

I haven't been involved with a state league club since my playing days and not across the whole league.
But what I do know is if you remove a club it destroys them short term and makes it very hard to be competitive at any level.
You're basically starting as a new club.
It's taken coops 30 years to rise to this level again.
It's yet to be seen if they will be competitive.
Kedron and Zillmere still 30 years away.
West's no longer even a club.
Sandgate the lucky ones as only one year out altogether and now going well in div 2.
The nature of footy is someone must finnish last every year.
Sherwood and Grange were in your conversations not so long ago.
It can turn around but not overnight and if aflq go down the line it's qafl or Friday nite as their only options.
You can see how they would fight like hell to stay in.

On CPH2483 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nothing wrong with finishing last, even nothing wrong with going winless.

However, if you are genuinely not competitive and your average losing margin is 120+ then its a complete compromise on the competition, especially in a situation where the draw is uneven.

Aspley, Redland, Surfers, Morningside, Palmy and Grange are fighting it out for spots 1 through to 6th, with Labrador hot on their heals.

Redland this week get Mt Gravatt a 2nd time, when they are coming off the back of conseuctive 200 point losses. Morningside have played them twice already, as have Labrador. (Morningside also played Sherwood and Noosa twice in the first 12 rounds, making half their opening 12 rounds against the bottom 3!)

Surfers, Palmy and Grange only get Vultures once, and it will have an enormous impact on the ladder positions and could cost a team a finals berth.

Exact same thing is likely next year and its surely not how a State League competition should operate.

Edit: I see the QAFLW has an even worse performing side, which is hard to believe. Wonder what the discussion is there? Yeronga have a % even lower than Mt Gravatt!

I haven't been involved with a state league club since my playing days and not across the whole league.
But what I do know is if you remove a club it destroys them short term and makes it very hard to be competitive at any level.
You're basically starting as a new club.
It's taken coops 30 years to rise to this level again.
It's yet to be seen if they will be competitive.
Kedron and Zillmere still 30 years away.
West's no longer even a club.
Sandgate the lucky ones as only one year out altogether and now going well in div 2.
The nature of footy is someone must finnish last every year.
Sherwood and Grange were in your conversations not so long ago.
It can turn around but not overnight and if aflq go down the line it's qafl or Friday nite as their only options.
You can see how they would fight like hell to stay in.

On CPH2483 using BigFooty.com mobile app
It took Zillmere 16 years just to get back to Saturdays once AFLQ took the license and handed it to Aspley in 2008. If you kick the Mounties out just because you think their results arent there - then they could fall just as hard. Even just dropping a division will see players leave because they arent State League. Then the juniors start to follow - because little Johnny needs to be at a State League club to make it to the AFL when he is going into Under 13's. Youth teams then start to fall away, and it can be quite devastating to a club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Northern derby is on again this week. Always look forward to this fixture as a Hornets fan. Although the Hornets have gotten the better of Grange since they joined the QAFL, this game in my opinion will be the closest one yet. Carn the Hornets! :bee:

Nothing wrong with finishing last, even nothing wrong with going winless.

However, if you are genuinely not competitive and your average losing margin is 120+ then its a complete compromise on the competition, especially in a situation where the draw is uneven.

Aspley, Redland, Surfers, Morningside, Palmy and Grange are fighting it out for spots 1 through to 6th, with Labrador hot on their heals.

Redland this week get Mt Gravatt a 2nd time, when they are coming off the back of conseuctive 200 point losses. Morningside have played them twice already, as have Labrador. (Morningside also played Sherwood and Noosa twice in the first 12 rounds, making half their opening 12 rounds against the bottom 3!)

Surfers, Palmy and Grange only get Vultures once, and it will have an enormous impact on the ladder positions and could cost a team a finals berth.

Exact same thing is likely next year and its surely not how a State League competition should operate.

Edit: I see the QAFLW has an even worse performing side, which is hard to believe. Wonder what the discussion is there? Yeronga have a % even lower than Mt Gravatt!
Might be wrong Miller but I think the draw is based on finishing position from previous year. So MtGravatt, Sherwood, Noosa and Morningside all finished in bottom half hence why they play each other twice.

It took Zillmere 16 years just to get back to Saturdays once AFLQ took the license and handed it to Aspley in 2008. If you kick the Mounties out just because you think their results arent there - then they could fall just as hard. Even just dropping a division will see players leave because they arent State League. Then the juniors start to follow - because little Johnny needs to be at a State League club to make it to the AFL when he is going into Under 13's. Youth teams then start to fall away, and it can be quite devastating to a club.
My point is that the majority of the players palying seniors for Mt Gravatt would not make it at any other aflq club so how can you state they will leave if Mt Gravatt drop out becauce they want to play seniors at AFLQ level ,,

My point is that the majority of the players palying seniors for Mt Gravatt would not make it at any other aflq club so how can you state they will leave if Mt Gravatt drop out becauce they want to play seniors at AFLQ level ,,
Mt Gravatt also deserve some credit to be still fielding 3 sides plus a womens side all year and well done to all coaches, volunteers etc etc .. so if that base is there would you not think dropping a divison will give them life ,, some winning ,, gain confidence etc etc ,,
I dont think there would be a mass player exodus at all , especially if the bases ( as noted above ) are in place.
In reality the mass player exodus occured this pre saeaon gone !!!

There’s also the human element to it. Will players want to stick around and enjoy another season of getting smashed by 20+ goals a week. I personally hope they stay up and can at least show some improvement

stuyd1 Just my opinion....
But I feel that after the disruption that occurred at Mt Gravatt after last season, there were efforts to "cobble" together a team this season.
If the club dropped down, whilst there will be a core of players who may remain loyal to the Club, there could potentially be others who return to their original clubs (or try different clubs). And if, as Miller1971 states, there are scant juniors graduating to open-grade, then further lost players will be difficult to replace at a lower level of competition.
All of this needs to be balanced against an entity that has been prominent within the area for 60 years, together with the risk of losing an important facility to local football.
However, I emphasize this is just my own uninformed opinion.

Might be wrong Miller but I think the draw is based on finishing position from previous year. So MtGravatt, Sherwood, Noosa and Morningside all finished in bottom half hence why they play each other twice.

I think you are spot on. I'm just saying when there is such a massive outlier, it makes a draw far more uneven than it should be.

But I feel that after the disruption that occurred at Mt Gravatt after last season, there were efforts to "cobble" together a team this season.
If the club dropped down, whilst there will be a core of players who may remain loyal to the Club, there could potentially be others who return to their original clubs (or try different clubs). And if, as Miller1971 states, there are scant juniors graduating to open-grade, then further lost players will be difficult to replace at a lower level of competition.
All of this needs to be balanced against an entity that has been prominent within the area for 60 years, together with the risk of losing an important facility to local football.

They actually have 4 x Senior mens teams and a womens team.

They also have plenty of juniors and youth relatively speaking to your 'normal' junior club, but compared to all the other QAFL clubs they are way behind in that space.

Wouldn't think there is any risk of them folding, just dropping back to Div 1 and potentially still fielding a Friday night team as well. Thats a mile from folding, just more reflective of their overall position structurally, financially and talent wise.

Miller1971 Fair enough - although, minor events can have dramatic consequences.
If the Club was no longer competing at QAFL level, would there be the same level of commitment and enthusiasm permeating throughout all levels? I could not possibly determine that from the outside.
I guess what generally bothers me is that none of us have any surety of the League's strategy for 2025 & beyond (but that's my problem). :thumbsu:

Toucan, with your knowledge of the history of local footy I feel a little sheepish responding but in my mind the clubs that have dropped out of QAFL all recover as an entity.

In my memory Zillmere (in various entities before withdrawing), Sandgate, Wilston Grange, Sherwood, Coorparoo, Mayne, UQ, Maroochydore/North Shore, Kedron, Caloundra all stepped back over the last 30 odd years yet all still exist today, some quite powerfully. Western Districts is the outlier but they merged with Sherwood to make West Brisbane and arguably Western Magpies later, plus their old ground is currently used by Kenmore and has recently had significant upgrades.

Hence I’m not convinced it’s Armageddon for MtG as a club or a venue to step back. The above says that they haven’t been the first club to ever have to consider readjusting their status.

In my opinion a no step back mantra will lead them to oblivion quicker than stepping back. That club needs a leader to make the honest call.

Miller1971 Fair enough - although, minor events can have dramatic consequences.
If the Club was no longer competing at QAFL level, would there be the same level of commitment and enthusiasm permeating throughout all levels? I could not possibly determine that from the outside.
I guess what generally bothers me is that none of us have any surety of the League's strategy for 2025 & beyond (but that's my problem). :thumbsu:

They are playing in the QAFL, but in reality have no QAFL footballers at their club, and no future Senior footballers at that level in their youth program.

I think its a no brainer, but each to their own.

I wouldn't even be going D1 either, they'd get flogged there too.

Remove this Banner Ad

QAFL 2024 season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back