QFA Div 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting re the selection of the SEQ rep side. I note that 2 moreton bay players have been selected? Not sure how this could be with other teams well ahead of them having less?
Good to see a few clubs from out west represented, is there a quota for the selectors to hit?

On another note, very interesting round coming up after the bye as outlined earlier. Think we all know where the top 3 sides sit but the Springwood vs University game will test Uni”s credentials. I Note that they take on Hinterland and Mayne the following rounds aswell so a huge test for them.

Cooparoo and Mayne very interesting aswell. Think Mayne deserve to be premiership favourites as it currently sits but a win for Cooparoo can flip that narrative. Should be a cracking few weeks!
Think a lot of it comes down to whether the players are really interested in doing it. Think when it’s local (In SEQ) the appeal is a bit less for the guys down here to do it. They obviously love having a trip up to cairns paid for them etc. As far as I’m aware like Baz said there is a requirement for certain amount of players from each region. Have always been interested to see what the team would look like if it was exclusively Div 1 players, not saying that there isn’t good quality in the lower divs and regional areas. But think you could make a very good team from the Div 1 comp.

Uni always tend to play quite well at Springwood so will see how they go this time around, tend to give the pumas some trouble at their home deck. Coorparoo v Mayne should be a cracker again next weekend expect both teams to be pretty close to full strength. Think that Mayne & Coops Definitely the 2 front runners but wouldn’t go past the reigning premiers either, they definitely seems to go on some strong runs later on in the year.

Interesting re the selection of the SEQ rep side. I note that 2 moreton bay players have been selected? Not sure how this could be with other teams well ahead of them having less?
Good to see a few clubs from out west represented, is there a quota for the selectors to hit?

Broadbeach had 4 in QAFL state side, Morningside had 1.

Broady have won 2 games, Morningside on top of ladder

Think you look at the individuals picked, not the club quotas. Don't think you could query any of the Broady selections, despite it being strange to have 4 from a bottom 3 team

Notice Tom Fry is playing for Mayne and not Grange tomorrow. Acamady responsibility must be finished for the year??

Must be if that’s the case. Don’t think was playing much seniors at grange either. Probably had to transfer back before June 30th.
See Beenleigh only have named 6 players in their 2’s so far for tomorrow. Also have named their coach in the 1’s jeez that’s not a good sign

18 available senior players, hence the senior coach putting his hand up. If a ressies side plays there will not be a single buffs registered player, they will all be permits. No, not good at the moment, worst I have ever seen at any level of footy, unavailability list is horrendous.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hopefully Beenleigh lick their wounds and rebound from the Hinterland trip to get something out of the year. When will the depth of players and talent return? Just 2 years ago they had 4 teams (Colts & Div 4 included). There are some good stalwarts and volunteers at Dauth Park.

All clubs have tough stretches but it does beg the question on their division going forward. Looks like a hungry Sandgate, Redcliffe & Alex Hills in Div 2 North and Bond, Cooly & Burleigh in Div 2 South that appear settled and standouts in their respective divisions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully Beenleigh lick their wounds and rebound from the Hinterland trip to get something out of the year. When will the depth of players and talent return? Just 2 years ago they had 4 teams (Colts & Div 4 included). There are some good stalwarts and volunteers at Dauth Park.

All clubs have tough stretches but it does beg the question on their division going forward. Looks like a hungry Sandgate, Redcliffe & Alex Hills in Div 2 North and Bond, Cooly & Burleigh in Div 2 South that appear settled and standouts in their respective divisions.
Think they have had a terrible run with long term injuries this year. Few retirements from some of their better players from last year. Also over the last few years have lost a fair bit of depth players to Yeronga, couple to Jindalee, even the James boys over to Sherwood. Is a shame to see them struggling to much this year, as you said they have some very good people at that club who have been there for a long time.

Not sure what the club would be thinking but from my standpoint I can’t see them being back in Div 1 next year. Would bring Div 1 down to a 6 team comp next year though if that’s the case. Could make an argument bring up the two best from both the north and south divisions and make it a 10 team comp. Makes fixture easier to just play everyone twice. Although don’t think there has been 18 rounds in this comp for quite a while not since it was probably last a 10 team comp.

Big question would be is there any appeal to Div 1 for the Gold Coast clubs? who have their own genuinely local Div 2 comp

Finals in Div 1 effectively set with a month of fixtures still to play. Only thing to play for now is who gets the home finals

Big question would be is there any appeal to Div 1 for the Gold Coast clubs? who have their own genuinely local Div 2 comp

Finals in Div 1 effectively set with a month of fixtures still to play. Only thing to play for now is who gets the home finals
Guess do you want more competitive games each week if you’re Burleigh and bond? Understand Burleigh lost of the weekend but those two have been the top of the south division for a few years along with Coolie. Would be surprised if bond didn’t have aspirations still like they did from a few years ago to be at a higher grade also considering the women are in QAFLW and they obviously have no shortage of funds, could obviously be hard though with 4 coast teams already in the QAFL that will not be leaving anytime soon. Also no Noosa or Maroochydore in the comp from when they were last in it so no going up to the sunny coast just to get belted. Do understand about the finals being set basically excluding the positions. Just feel the Div 1 comp could benefit from having Gold Coast representation in it.

Makes sense for div 2 north teams to come up as it’s a 12 team comp in div 2 . But div 2 south only has 8 teams and I doubt only 1 GC team will come up on their own. But if 2 come up then it’s a 6 team comp in div 2 south.

Let's summarise and surmise some of the comments regarding 2025:
  • It is reasonable to consider that many followers believe a 10-team, 18-round competition is ideal.
  • It sounds like most people are working on the expectation that Coorparoo will replace Mt Gravatt in the QAFL. On current standings, I think that looks like a fair assumption. Coorparoo will need to recruit aggressively - but they will already know that. However, what will become of Mt Gravatt? Would they drop one division? Or further? For the sake of this exercise, let’s say it is a straight reversal of the 1994 change and the two clubs swap places.
  • Will Beenleigh need to drop a division? Or can they solve their player concerns in the upcoming off-season? Let’s say they need to drop a division to regroup. They should also be provided with the option of choosing which Division 2 competition they enter, North or South. Their choice – they could yet remain.
  • Sandgate and Redcliffe are travelling quite well at the moment in Division 2 North. Alexandra Hills has a strong argument to be considered for promotion – but I reckon that Redcliffe’s current facilities are too good to look beyond.
  • Is there a club in Division 2 South that is willing to step up? Burleigh and Coolangatta are performing well – although I suspect that Bond University may have ambition to rise. Personally, I also believe that Bond Uni and Robina are too close to be playing in the same competition – for the long-term wellbeing of both clubs, there needs to be some separation.
So, hypothetically, Division 1 2025 could include:

Bond University / Beenleigh
Caloundra
Hinterland
Mayne
Mt Gravatt
Moreton Bay
Redcliffe
Sandgate
Springwood
University of Qld

Of course, every club would need to commit themselves to the level required. And where they are placed in 2025 would not dictate where they could be beyond next season.

Would a Division 1 competition structure like this seem feasible? Are there arguments for or against? The lower competitions would need to be re-organised too. And then, if something major happened in the QAFL (or above), that would have a significant impact on these thoughts too.

• It is reasonable to consider that many followers believe a 10-team, 18-round competition is ideal.
  • It sounds like most people are working on the expectation that Coorparoo will replace Mt Gravatt in the QAFL. On current standings, I think that looks like a fair assumption. Coorparoo will need to recruit aggressively - but they will already know that. However, what will become of Mt Gravatt? Would they drop one division? Or further? For the sake of this exercise, let’s say it is a straight reversal of the 1994 change and the two clubs swap places.
  • Will Beenleigh need to drop a division? Or can they solve their player concerns in the upcoming off-season? Let’s say they need to drop a division to regroup. They should also be provided with the option of choosing which Division 2 competition they enter, North or South. Their choice – they could yet remain.
  • Sandgate and Redcliffe are travelling quite well at the moment in Division 2 North. Alexandra Hills has a strong argument to be considered for promotion – but I reckon that Redcliffe’s current facilities are too good to look beyond.
  • Is there a club in Division 2 South that is willing to step up? Burleigh and Coolangatta are performing well – although I suspect that Bond University may have ambition to rise. Personally, I also believe that Bond Uni and Robina are too close to be playing in the same competition – for the long-term wellbeing of both clubs, there needs to be some separation.

Caloundra
Hinterland
Mayne
Mt Gravatt
Moreton Bay
Redcliffe
Sandgate
Springwood
University of Qld

Of course, every club would need to commit themselves to the level required. And where they are placed in 2025 would not dictate where they could be beyond next season.

Would a Division 1 competition structure like this seem feasible? Are there arguments for or against? The lower competitions would need to be re-organised too. And then, if something major happened in the QAFL (or above), that would have a significant impact on these thoughts too.
Great points Toucan.

Was only 5 or so years ago that the winner of div 2 would come up to div 1. However when Park Ridge won it they didn’t go up and were sent to Friday nights. Hence why Alex Hills, despite winning it last year did not go up. But both Moreton Bay and Hinterland came up after winning it each.

I’m at the stage now where I don’t understand the point of div 2 south other then to accomodate Northern NSW teams and so that any team north of Beenleigh doesn’t have to drive over the border. Which doesn’t make sense when you have Gympie in the other. For the quality of that south comp multiple teams have won it in the last 3-4 years. However it’s also those same 3-4 teams in Burleigh, Cooly and Bond who keep dominating both grades. The amalgamation of Byron Bay and Ballina into the Southern Stingrays has not worked with both teams sitting dead last and one win between both teams. Tweed has worked its way off the bottom in both grades but is still way off the top 3. But as mentioned in previous conversations, those teams in div 2 south whilst might have aspirations to go up, have no need to when they have their own local comp.

Div 2 north and south were created based on clubs desire to not travel. So whilst some teams are happy to drive 25 mins and beat everyone, other teams are driving 25 mins and being smashed. Of course 25 mins is just an average number I threw in as there are many many bigger drives then that on both comps.

Mt Gravatt could well and truly fall off the face of the earth if they do not retain those young players. I hope the worst they get is going into div 1.

There should be a 8-10 team comp in div 1. I also believe we should go back to the standard div 1,2,3 Saturdays and div 4/5 north south if required.

Anyway just my opinion. Just have to wait and see what AFLQ do.

Great points Toucan.

Was only 5 or so years ago that the winner of div 2 would come up to div 1. However when Park Ridge won it they didn’t go up and were sent to Friday nights. Hence why Alex Hills, despite winning it last year did not go up. But both Moreton Bay and Hinterland came up after winning it each.

I’m at the stage now where I don’t understand the point of div 2 south other then to accomodate Northern NSW teams and so that any team north of Beenleigh doesn’t have to drive over the border. Which doesn’t make sense when you have Gympie in the other. For the quality of that south comp multiple teams have won it in the last 3-4 years. However it’s also those same 3-4 teams in Burleigh, Cooly and Bond who keep dominating both grades. The amalgamation of Byron Bay and Ballina into the Southern Stingrays has not worked with both teams sitting dead last and one win between both teams. Tweed has worked its way off the bottom in both grades but is still way off the top 3. But as mentioned in previous conversations, those teams in div 2 south whilst might have aspirations to go up, have no need to when they have their own local comp.

Div 2 north and south were created based on clubs desire to not travel. So whilst some teams are happy to drive 25 mins and beat everyone, other teams are driving 25 mins and being smashed. Of course 25 mins is just an average number I threw in as there are many many bigger drives then that on both comps.

Mt Gravatt could well and truly fall off the face of the earth if they do not retain those young players. I hope the worst they get is going into div 1.

There should be a 8-10 team comp in div 1. I also believe we should go back to the standard div 1,2,3 Saturdays and div 4/5 north south if required.

Anyway just my opinion. Just have to wait and see what AFLQ do.
In my opinion if Gympie do drop out then realistically you could almost get rid of the South/North for a saturday comp. The most northern team in that come is probably pine rivers/redcliffe if Gympie is out of the equation? You got what 5 teams technically south of the Brisbane river? I think 1,2,3 is certainly the way to go but maybe no promotion/demotion in it as we have seen that hadn’t really worked when it was forced upon teams. Depending on what happens with Mt Gravatt I hope for their sake as well that they don’t go below Div 1, but realistically I almost look at their list right now and wonder how many Div 1 teams they would actually beat this year? Beenleigh in their current state yeah sure but all the others I wouldn’t be as confident about. Was only a practice match but Mayne absolutely belted them earlier in the year. But who knows what conversations that AFLQ have even had in regards to all this. Probably not even on the to do list knowing what they’re like.

Likewise, Backpocket101 - good points.
I'm not an advocate of automatic promotion/relegation either. The opportunity to rise & fall should be there - but it ought to be in the best interests of the clubs, competition, and code.
Clubs like Mt Gravatt and Beenleigh are too important to watch dissolve completely. For a code that is crying out for more facilities locally, we definitely do not want to see long-established clubs suffer - or worse, fold.
Interestingly, with regards to Mt Gravatt and Coorparoo, when the clubs swapped comps back in 1994, a large number of the Vultures players moved across to Coorparoo - and to some degree, vice versa. Coorparoo have a lot of top players right now - but will they maintain the same list in the higher comp? It may be possible that a good number of Kings' players may shift to Mt Gravatt, thereby strengthening their position. Of course, that might not happen at all. (Bear in mind too that when Coorparoo Roos dropped back down to the BAFL, they only lasted a further two seasons. Potentially different circumstances though.)
I'm also really intrigued as to what may happen in higher level competitions. What if Southport did not continue in a VFL-level League? What if there was a current QAFL club that did not want to continue in that comp? (I'm not suggesting there is.)
A lot of good ideas get shared around. Always good to read what people are thinking.

Caloundra
Hinterland
Mayne
Mt Gravatt
Moreton Bay
Redcliffe
Sandgate
Springwood
University of Qld

Likewise, Backpocket101 - good points.
I'm not an advocate of automatic promotion/relegation either. The opportunity to rise & fall should be there - but it ought to be in the best interests of the clubs, competition, and code.
Clubs like Mt Gravatt and Beenleigh are too important to watch dissolve completely. For a code that is crying out for more facilities locally, we definitely do not want to see long-established clubs suffer - or worse, fold.
Interestingly, with regards to Mt Gravatt and Coorparoo, when the clubs swapped comps back in 1994, a large number of the Vultures players moved across to Coorparoo - and to some degree, vice versa. Coorparoo have a lot of top players right now - but will they maintain the same list in the higher comp? It may be possible that a good number of Kings' players may shift to Mt Gravatt, thereby strengthening their position. Of course, that might not happen at all. (Bear in mind too that when Coorparoo Roos dropped back down to the BAFL, they only lasted a further two seasons. Potentially different circumstances though.)
I'm also really intrigued as to what may happen in higher level competitions. What if Southport did not continue in a VFL-level League? What if there was a current QAFL club that did not want to continue in that comp? (I'm not suggesting there is.)
A lot of good ideas get shared around. Always good to read what people are thinking.
I don’t know what the kings would be thinking but I would be surprised if they haven’t already gotten in contact with guys playing at QAFL level that would qualify as 1 pointers due to being Coorparoo Juniors. I do think there list will look a bit different next year to what it is now, can’t see the likes of Suckling, Reid, Gibson etc going around at QAFL level as they’re starting to get up there in age. They’re a very well run football club so no doubt they’ll have a long term plan already in place that they’ll be using.

I don’t know what the kings would be thinking but I would be surprised if they haven’t already gotten in contact with guys playing at QAFL level that would qualify as 1 pointers due to being Coorparoo Juniors. I do think there list will look a bit different next year to what it is now, can’t see the likes of Suckling, Reid, Gibson etc going around at QAFL level as they’re starting to get up there in age. They’re a very well run football club so no doubt they’ll have a long term plan already in place that they’ll be using.
Josh Coombs- Aspley QAFL
Elijah Glass - was last at Sherwood QAFL
Kai Purslow- Morningside QAFL.
They are the big three I know were at Coorparoo, with two of those in Coombs and Purslow staters in their QAFL sides.

Couple went to Redlands, Marsh and another two went there.

I think that geography and clubs in close proximity need to be taken into account. For the sustainability of clubs long term I don’t think it’s wise to have clubs stealing from each other for local talent particularly in areas that are not on the coasts.

Is it sustainable to have all 3 of Coorpooroo, Morningside and Mt Gravatt in the QAFL?
If Mt Gravatt does go to Div 1 is having them, Springwood and Beenleigh a good idea?

Further too that if you included Sandgate and/or Redcliffe to Moreton Bay on the North side does that allow all of them to go well?

Balancing out the areas of talent for all levels I think also needs to be considered. Of course well run clubs will find their levels but for the betterment of our game there needs to be consideration about helping clubs prosper without another’s demise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back