QFA Div 1

Remove this Banner Ad

I think that geography and clubs in close proximity need to be taken into account. For the sustainability of clubs long term I don’t think it’s wise to have clubs stealing from each other for local talent particularly in areas that are not on the coasts.

Is it sustainable to have all 3 of Coorpooroo, Morningside and Mt Gravatt in the QAFL?
If Mt Gravatt does go to Div 1 is having them, Springwood and Beenleigh a good idea?

Further too that if you included Sandgate and/or Redcliffe to Moreton Bay on the North side does that allow all of them to go well?

Balancing out the areas of talent for all levels I think also needs to be considered. Of course well run clubs will find their levels but for the betterment of our game there needs to be consideration about helping clubs prosper without another’s demise.
Noble, but wishful thinking.

Whilst you raise suitable items for discussion and consideration if you break it all down the harsh reality is it’s always been dog eat dog. All clubs’ priority should be its own players, members/supporters & facilities first.

Absolutely each club has a responsibility to both the game and locality but they cannot be the priority of the club volunteers. There are just too many factors that work against the evenness you outline.

Think Sandgate surely go to D1.

Club sustainability needs to be linked to a strong junior base. If you have good youth numbers, there is always a strong line of willing players who love the jumper ready to keep your senior numbers healthy.

Sure, the better ones often will seek higher honours at QAFL level, but most good junior clubs will have 15-20 kids aging out of youth footy each year.

Sandgate have never dropped their bundle in junior footy and have shown they can rebound to be really strong at senior level in a short amount of time, and likely (without knowing) its mainly done of graduating juniors

Agree Miller. Have always felt Sandgate are a very suitable Div1 club with history, juniors, support around them. Good women’s side which contributes to overall health of a footy club these days too. They would prob love to win a premiership before heading up but with grange and Aspley on doorstep they would be a good option for blokes looking to ease bk their footy commitments but still play bloody good standard of footy

Josh Coombs- Aspley QAFL
Elijah Glass - was last at Sherwood QAFL
Kai Purslow- Morningside QAFL.
They are the big three I know were at Coorparoo, with two of those in Coombs and Purslow staters in their QAFL sides.

Couple went to Redlands, Marsh and another two went there.
Rolls from RVP was a junior there I believe, Cameron-Reeves from Morningside. Sure there are probably a few more floating round somewhere too.

I think that geography and clubs in close proximity need to be taken into account. For the sustainability of clubs long term I don’t think it’s wise to have clubs stealing from each other for local talent particularly in areas that are not on the coasts.

Is it sustainable to have all 3 of Coorpooroo, Morningside and Mt Gravatt in the QAFL?
If Mt Gravatt does go to Div 1 is having them, Springwood and Beenleigh a good idea?

Further too that if you included Sandgate and/or Redcliffe to Moreton Bay on the North side does that allow all of them to go well?

Balancing out the areas of talent for all levels I think also needs to be considered. Of course well run clubs will find their levels but for the betterment of our game there needs to be consideration about helping clubs prosper without another’s demise.
Understand where you’re coming from there but I feel nowadays guys are willing to travel a bit further to play for teams now etc. don’t think there has been much floating between Mt Gravatt and Springwood for probably over a decade maybe since the realignment of the QAFL/PHC. My main worry for mt Gravatt would be recruiting wise if they stayed in QAFL. Can’t see any decent recruit wanting to go there in the current situation especially with Morningside and now Coorparoo 10-15 mins away. Even Springwood you could argue is a more appealing location in that area right now even though they’re the comp below.

Think Sandgate surely go to D1.

Club sustainability needs to be linked to a strong junior base. If you have good youth numbers, there is always a strong line of willing players who love the jumper ready to keep your senior numbers healthy.

Sure, the better ones often will seek higher honours at QAFL level, but most good junior clubs will have 15-20 kids aging out of youth footy each year.

Sandgate have never dropped their bundle in junior footy and have shown they can rebound to be really strong at senior level in a short amount of time, and likely (without knowing) its mainly done of graduating juniors
Agreed on Sandgate almost being a certainty to come up. Think they definitely will want to win a flag though prior to coming up as SMY said.

Not many division 1 clubs with junior bases - Beenleigh, Mayne, Springwood, UQ
Mayne has a connection with Everton Wolves who also play at Mayne. And UQ have a connection with Wests Juniors. Beenleigh and Springwood do have juniors but not sure if either have a 16s.

The QFA colts was removed to allow struggling teams to fill their ressies but I’m sure there would be a handful of teams who wouldn’t mind having a colts team. As anyone who wants to play colts has to make the journey to a QAFL club.

Mayne has a connection with Everton Wolves who also play at Mayne. And UQ have a connection with Wests Juniors. Beenleigh and Springwood do have juniors but not sure if either have a 16s.

The QFA colts was removed to allow struggling teams to fill their ressies but I’m sure there would be a handful of teams who wouldn’t mind having a colts team. As anyone who wants to play colts has to make the journey to a QAFL club.
Beenleigh and Springwood Junior numbers have slowly been going down over the past few years. In Springwoods case for Juniors probably didn’t help that Rochedale created a junior base right around the corner. Although springwoods junior base is moving to Springwood state high school at some point over the next few years is starting to grow an AFL excellence program which will probably help the youth and junior numbers in the area

Whilst you’d obviously prefer one than not as the romance, attraction & financial benefits of a strong junior program providing the players are intoxicating I’m not convinced it’s what it’s all that it’s built up to be. The natural disconnect and change in priorities as lads grow from ages 15-20 presents plenty of distractions from footy.

I believe that a solid senior squad culture trumps any fantasy about the junior club producing a production line of senior stars because they leave if the senior squad isn’t appealing anyway.

Whilst you’d obviously prefer one than not as the romance, attraction & financial benefits of a strong junior program providing the players are intoxicating I’m not convinced it’s what it’s all that it’s built up to be. The natural disconnect and change in priorities as lads grow from ages 15-20 presents plenty of distractions from footy.

I believe that a solid senior squad culture trumps any fantasy about the junior club producing a production line of senior stars because they leave if the senior squad isn’t appealing anyway.
Agreed, UQ are a good example of that, before their affiliation with Wests Juniors they still have done quite well to maintain a strong Senior base, consistently have 3 teams. They do it well.

Interesting exercise would be to see how many kids aging out of youth are playing Seniors/Ressies at D1 & D2 clubs who otherwise would have oplayed Colts? Quite a few I would reckon

Agreed, UQ are a good example of that, before their affiliation with Wests Juniors they still have done quite well to maintain a strong Senior base, consistently have 3 teams. They do it well.

Thousands of incoming students aged 18-20 every year doesn't hurt!

Interesting exercise would be to see how many kids aging out of youth are playing Seniors/Ressies at D1 & D2 clubs who otherwise would have oplayed Colts? Quite a few I would reckon

Thousands of incoming students aged 18-20 every year doesn't hurt!
Well that’s the other side of it. How many colts coming out of colts age or who are colts age trying their hand at playing seniors/ressies at their local club rather then going QAFL.

For those clubs in div 1 or 2. Is it better that there is no QFA colts? As I’d assume there would be some clubs putting colts in their Friday night teams if they have them. Or playing seniors or ressies as mentioned before.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well that’s the other side of it. How many colts coming out of colts age or who are colts age trying their hand at playing seniors/ressies at their local club rather then going QAFL.

For those clubs in div 1 or 2. Is it better that there is no QFA colts? As I’d assume there would be some clubs putting colts in their Friday night teams if they have them. Or playing seniors or ressies as mentioned before.
The whole colts decision was a fail and should be reinstated . However the damage could be done and some may take a few seasons to get a team back up.

On CPH2483 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think the key point make is that the senior club culture has to be appealing. Often it’s not and if the senior club is full of knobs the kids work this out pretty quickly and move to other clubs, other sports. It’s the clubs that see their juniors come through regularly where you know it is a good relationship.

Always thought Rolls was a panther junior?
Play HQ says 2010 & 2011 played at Coorparoo. Dunno if he played enough prior to that to qualify as a 1 pointer for them though. That’s saying he would even want to go back to Coorparoo or they could convince him to come anyway

Would think the clubs that were struggling for numbers in their senior ranks, are now better off without Colts (Jindalee might be a good example?)

Then those that already had solid numbers, have a Friday night side as well - and the Colts aged kids are dispersed across the 3 teams on ability

Always thought Rolls was a panther junior?

I think the Rolls boys are actually Kenmore juniors, before treading the well worn path across town to Morningside/Coorparoo thanks to academy coaches..

It appears MtGravatt have been given an undertaking by League that they have 2 years in QAFL to get their house in order. So if that’s the case and C’Roo get the nod in 2025, Div 1 is in a bit of a bind.

Also depends on what Beenleigh do but I wouldn’t be surprised if they head back to Div 2 South.

Not many clubs really jumping to go to Div 1 and after a few have failed in recent years it’s not that appealing to be honest for clubs who are comfortable in the current competitions they are in.

Not sure what the answer is and maybe Redcliffe or Sandgate have ambitions to go up but it will be interesting discussions at end of year.

might go back to a D1 North/South model and just pull the best Div 2 sides up?

like the comp circa 2014-2016

Coorparoo and Springwood were in the South and Robina were pretty good

Mayne, Noosa and Marcoochy the powerhouse north clubs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back