QFA Div 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Pumas play UQ in final round as well
That game could very well decide third spot. Looking at the run home UQ have Moreton and Springwood.
Hinterland have Coorparoo & Moreton, then Springwood have Beenleigh & UQ. If all pans out next round how you probably expect to that last game will be for 3rd spot

Spots 3,4,5 is turning out to be a very good battle, each team can beat one another on there day and you get the feeling if they catch fire in a final mayne and cooparoo cant take them lightly. Went out to lowe oval to watch the kings yesterday and they expectedly did take care of the pumas. Seemed cooparoo had a few back and springwood just not quite firing at the moment without Keneally. Will be an absolute blockbuster when they travel to University. Will keneally be back by then?

Spots 3,4,5 is turning out to be a very good battle, each team can beat one another on there day and you get the feeling if they catch fire in a final mayne and cooparoo cant take them lightly. Went out to lowe oval to watch the kings yesterday and they expectedly did take care of the pumas. Seemed cooparoo had a few back and springwood just not quite firing at the moment without Keneally. Will be an absolute blockbuster when they travel to University. Will keneally be back by then?
Kings were missing a few as well, not sure as to whether they will be back anytime soon. Gilhooley, Korander, Holna. Looked as though Hickie may have done his ACL as well that game.

Springwood were missing Keneally, Warren & Preston-Smith, three very important players to their system. Think all 3 will be back by UQ.

Div 1 Women’s ressies is a 6 team finals and only 6 teams… seniors top 6 with 7 teams…

This is interesting.

Fair assumption it will be the same 6 clubs involved in both, but in different ladder positions.

Could we have that ridiculous situation where every club is playing with their seniors and ressies at different grounds?

This is interesting.

Fair assumption it will be the same 6 clubs involved in both, but in different ladder positions.

Could we have that ridiculous situation where every club is playing with their seniors and ressies at different grounds?
It’s my opinion that the ressies should follow the higher ranked seniors if both playing on a certain finals day.

Anyone heard anything about finals venues?
Would assume it would just be the higher team on the ladder hosts up until the big dance. Havent heard anything about the grand final although.
On another note, whos in the mix to take out the comp best and fairest? Fair few injuries flying around the competition to key players this year so should make for a tight count. Very interested to hear whos in the mix

Would assume Mayne will hold 1st place as they finish with Beenleigh. Coops have Caloundra so unless they win by 200 points or more they will/should hold second. I notice they are playing up at Caloundra again up there? They played them up there in round 12? Weird draw but Coops will be wanting to make up for that loss up there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should also congratulate UQ as their seniors have finally made finals. Had a rough few years in QAFL and then sat at or near the bottom in div 1 since they dropped way back in 2015 or 2016. They even finished at the bottom last year. Now are sitting in 3rd spot. The ressies sitting nicely in third spot as well.

Should also congratulate UQ as their seniors have finally made finals. Had a rough few years in QAFL and then sat at or near the bottom in div 1 since they dropped way back in 2015 or 2016. They even finished at the bottom last year. Now are sitting in 3rd spot. The ressies sitting nicely in third spot as well.

They have a very good Coach!

They were always a much better team than their ladder position indicated in my opinion. Good to see them get some reward for effort now. Big pressure test now for them, hosting the reigning premiers for a double chance. Crozier has been massive for them now that he’s back. 21 goals in 3 games is a fair return

They were always a much better team than their ladder position indicated in my opinion. Good to see them get some reward for effort now. Big pressure test now for them, hosting the reigning premiers for a double chance. Crozier has been massive for them now that he’s back. 21 goals in 3 games is a fair return
Crozier 21 goals from the wing aswell? Only had a quick look at the footage but seems he goes there. Would be giving opposition coaches a few headaches albeit 17 have come against the bottom sides. Finals starting early this week for the Pumas and Uni. A seasoned Springwood side up against the young Red Lions. Should be an absolute cracker, Will definitely endeavour on heading out.

"Tradition V Trivia"

QFA Division 1 Edition (just one game):

University of Queensland V Springwood
Played 50: University 24 – Draw 1 – Springwood 25 (1982-1984, 1986-1987, 1991-2000, 2013, 2017-2024)

I have heard people suggest that these games are often close. Well, maybe not “always” – but the record certainly is. I took a little time to figure out a “This Is Your Life” summary of games between the Red Lions and the Pumas.
The first Senior games against each other happened in SQAFA Second Division in 1982. Springwood, as a developing club, had been promoted only recently, and University were dropped from First Division after a couple of tough years. Over three seasons, the two clubs met on seven occasions. Now, the full list of results is not available – but based on ladder position, for argument’s sake, lets assume that it provided a record of University 6 to Springwood 1.
Following premiership success, University returned to SQAFA First Division in 1985, and Springwood followed soon after in 1986. The first two seasons proved to be an arduous elevation for Springwood, as they then returned to Second Division. A second promotion in 1991 saw a much stronger Pumas’ outfit competing. During these SQAFA/BAFL First Division seasons, they clashed 26 times for 15 wins to University and 11 wins to Springwood.
They did not meet again until 2013 when in the SEQAFL Division 1, Springwood defeated University in their only two clashes (23 and 5 point margins).
A further hiatus ensued, as University perhaps got a bit ahead of themselves to have a crack at the QAFL, whilst Springwood opted for the QFA Division South competition.
A restructure occurred for 2017: University dropped out of the QAFL and Springwood was one of the more prominent clubs in the newly-formed QFA Division 1. (I would tend to suggest that the previous North and South Divisions of QFA Div 1 were poorly conceived or awkward – but I am sure that there are other people who thought they were a great idea.) Both clubs have remained in the same competition ever since, with Springwood holding a superior record. The QAFL sojourn had knocked the stuffing out of University – it took them some time to recover (in my opinion from the outside). Of the 15 games played since 2017, Springwood leads 11 to 3, with 1 draw. Seven of these games have been decided by “small” margins (about two goals or less), including the draw.
Last time they met (Round 11), Springwood won by 7 points at Lowe Oval.

"Tradition V Trivia"

QFA Division 1 Edition (just one game):

University of Queensland V Springwood
Played 50: University 24 – Draw 1 – Springwood 25 (1982-1984, 1986-1987, 1991-2000, 2013, 2017-2024)

I have heard people suggest that these games are often close. Well, maybe not “always” – but the record certainly is. I took a little time to figure out a “This Is Your Life” summary of games between the Red Lions and the Pumas.
The first Senior games against each other happened in SQAFA Second Division in 1982. Springwood, as a developing club, had been promoted only recently, and University were dropped from First Division after a couple of tough years. Over three seasons, the two clubs met on seven occasions. Now, the full list of results is not available – but based on ladder position, for argument’s sake, lets assume that it provided a record of University 6 to Springwood 1.
Following premiership success, University returned to SQAFA First Division in 1985, and Springwood followed soon after in 1986. The first two seasons proved to be an arduous elevation for Springwood, as they then returned to Second Division. A second promotion in 1991 saw a much stronger Pumas’ outfit competing. During these SQAFA/BAFL First Division seasons, they clashed 26 times for 15 wins to University and 11 wins to Springwood.
They did not meet again until 2013 when in the SEQAFL Division 1, Springwood defeated University in their only two clashes (23 and 5 point margins).
A further hiatus ensued, as University perhaps got a bit ahead of themselves to have a crack at the QAFL, whilst Springwood opted for the QFA Division South competition.
A restructure occurred for 2017: University dropped out of the QAFL and Springwood was one of the more prominent clubs in the newly-formed QFA Division 1. (I would tend to suggest that the previous North and South Divisions of QFA Div 1 were poorly conceived or awkward – but I am sure that there are other people who thought they were a great idea.) Both clubs have remained in the same competition ever since, with Springwood holding a superior record. The QAFL sojourn had knocked the stuffing out of University – it took them some time to recover (in my opinion from the outside). Of the 15 games played since 2017, Springwood leads 11 to 3, with 1 draw. Seven of these games have been decided by “small” margins (about two goals or less), including the draw.
Last time they met (Round 11), Springwood won by 7 points at Lowe Oval.
Love the history work there Toucan. Will be interesting to see tomorrow how it goes. Pumas look to have 6 very handy additions back. As you said in your write up Springwood with quite a big lead in the head to head but many of those games are very tight and I wouldn’t expect much different tomorrow with a lot on the line.

Wow! Talk about some last round thrillers.

Caloundra seem to be Coops boogie team up there this year. A Draw!

Hinterland with a comfortable win over Moreton Bay.

Mayne doing what we all expected and thrashed Beenleigh by 185. According to playHQ, Zach Quinn kicked 15!?

The biggest upset of the round and a message to the rest of the finals teams was UQ winning by 40+ points over the reigning premiers Springwood.

Meaning the top 5 gives Mayne a week off. Coops hosting UQ and Springwood having to make the trip in a do or die against Hinterland.

2 massive finals games coming up.

Fascinating week indeed. Caloundra seem to have found some form which bodes well for 2025 after a difficult offseason and start to the season. Certainly an organisation to watch.

Made the trip to uni for the matchup with most finals ramifications and was not disappointed. Scoreboard probably doesn’t do the pumas justice, plenty of acid in the game for all four quarters and it always felt closer than margin suggested. University very efficient going forward with potent combination of Crozier, Wong and Lane again combining for a large percentage of the goals.

Mayne certainly look like the team to beat this year, and I’d imagine Quin tough to beat for the league medal now. Should be a fantastic few weeks of community football ahead.

15 - 9 for Quinn. Tied with Magin from Hinterland for most goals 74
geeeeeze just one of those years for the buffs. They do play some pretty good football. At times today they looked the better team, but they really let themselves down with poor/sloppy second efforts.
I hope they regroup over the off season and build for 2025. With Coop moving into Qafl we dont need any other teams to drop out.
Mayne must be favorites with home ground advantage in finals. UQ on a roll and will push coops next week.

Remove this Banner Ad

QFA Div 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back