QFA Div 1

Remove this Banner Ad

I dont see the benefit in clubs such as Sandgate having a largely dominant year in both grades (despite their ressies choking horribly in the GF) against bang average sides in Div 2. That is one club that should nut up and have a go in div 1 and see how they go. I think the standard between div 2 and div 1 is quite large though so they may be in for a rude awakening but at least they show some nuts!

I dont see the benefit in clubs such as Sandgate having a largely dominant year in both grades (despite their ressies choking horribly in the GF) against bang average sides in Div 2. That is one club that should nut up and have a go in div 1 and see how they go. I think the standard between div 2 and div 1 is quite large though so they may be in for a rude awakening but at least they show some nuts!
Donā€™t think it as big as the gap between QAFL and Div 1.

I dont see the benefit in clubs such as Sandgate having a largely dominant year in both grades (despite their ressies choking horribly in the GF) against bang average sides in Div 2. That is one club that should nut up and have a go in div 1 and see how they go. I think the standard between div 2 and div 1 is quite large though so they may be in for a rude awakening but at least they show some

Youā€™d think Alex hills would be the first to ā€˜nut upā€™
There senior side has played the last 3 grand finals lost to hinterland in one then beat Kenmore and then lost to sandgate
While there reserves have won 3 of the last 4 premierships if my memory serves correctly

the more teams in div 1 the better I say. i don't see the point of a club like alex hills or sandgate toiling away in div 2. behind qafl obviously, div 1 is the premier division in Queensland, anything below is mickey mouse league.

the more teams in div 1 the better I say. i don't see the point of a club like alex hills or sandgate toiling away in div 2. behind qafl obviously, div 1 is the premier division in Queensland, anything below is mickey mouse league.

Iā€™m sure all the coaches players and volunteers that toil away in those ā€œMickey mouseā€ leagues would share that sentiment

Last edited:
Thats a smart comment. Think Clubs will do whatā€™s best for them. Sandgate and Alex have been the bench mark in Div 2 for a few years. No different to Springwood , Mayne and Coorparoo in Div 1. How many teams have won premierships in last 5 years in Div 1?

3 in the last 3 years. Widely held none of them are equipped to go up though. Sandgate definitely are. Redcliffe have everything just need to work on player stocks and look on their way with the masters recruits. Alex should have a crack also.
Its an interesting conundrum as to whether a club stays in the lower division and is happy with their lot and players already there obviously okay playing that level versus going up a division and does it attract more who want to play a higher level than you lose from going that way? If most stick fat with the club then the worse that can happen is previous senior players go to the 2's which is always handy as well.

Its an interesting conundrum as to whether a club stays in the lower division and is happy with their lot and players already there obviously okay playing that level versus going up a division and does it attract more who want to play a higher level than you lose from going that way? If most stick fat with the club then the worse that can happen is previous senior players go to the 2's which is always handy as well.
There's a heap of reasons to go up and also plenty to stay put.
Best left up to the individual clubs to access that and when is the best time to go up.
Some may have a plan in place and won't be rushed into bringing that forward.
All this chat about growing some balls and such is complete rubbish.
I'll go out on a limb and say none of those people are directly involved at the clubs and are just dropping an opinion.
But that's the way it is on big footy.

On CPH2483 using BigFooty.com mobile app

There's a heap of reasons to go up and also plenty to stay put.
Best left up to the individual clubs to access that and when is the best time to go up.
Some may have a plan in place and won't be rushed into bringing that forward.
All this chat about growing some balls and such is complete rubbish.
I'll go out on a limb and say none of those people are directly involved at the clubs and are just dropping an opinion.
But that's the way it is on big footy.

Understand that. And I agree of course with the fact these clubs have plans (well, all clubs do) and donā€™t want to be pushed.

But Alex Hills have played in 3 consecutive grand finals. Won 1, and their first lost was against an undefeated hinterland team that is now in div 1. And the second loss was against a super strong Sandgate and lost by less then 5. As well as their ressies winning 2 of the last 3.

So is the idea now to beat up on the lower clubs and try to win another before going up? Is player retention the aim by staying in div2?

Iā€™d say their plan is working pretty well. 6 GFs in 3 years and 3 premierships with ressies and seniors.

Coorparoo made an even bigger jump to QAFL and in their 3 consecutive GFs. Only won 1. But still went up.

Just donā€™t see why Alex Hills more than anyone canā€™t go up? Or is it about doing a Noosa and Maroochydore and just beating up everyone till youā€™re bored for years and then decide to move up?

I am not involved with Alex Hills nor do I know much about their entire playing list.
As I see it, rather than just moving up for the sake of it, some questions they will probably be asking themselves are (in no particular order):
1. Does moving up to Div 1 enable more sponsors and/or provide more value to existing sponsors.
2. Do they have the resources to attract higher level players to ensure they are at least competitive in Div 1.
3. Who are the players that will fall out the bottom? Are they Alex Hills juniors and long term club supporters and if so, there would probably need to be good benefits to justify pushing them out?
4. Does staying in Div 2 longer and being successful at that level entice more resources to make the transition to being competitive in Div 1 easier.
5. Does Alex Hills have long term plans to move to QAFL in the future?

Some are easy to answer from outside, but not all.

Understand that. And I agree of course with the fact these clubs have plans (well, all clubs do) and donā€™t want to be pushed.

But Alex Hills have played in 3 consecutive grand finals. Won 1, and their first lost was against an undefeated hinterland team that is now in div 1. And the second loss was against a super strong Sandgate and lost by less then 5. As well as their ressies winning 2 of the last 3.

So is the idea now to beat up on the lower clubs and try to win another before going up? Is player retention the aim by staying in div2?

Iā€™d say their plan is working pretty well. 6 GFs in 3 years and 3 premierships with ressies and seniors.

Coorparoo made an even bigger jump to QAFL and in their 3 consecutive GFs. Only won 1. But still went up.

Just donā€™t see why Alex Hills more than anyone canā€™t go up? Or is it about doing a Noosa and Maroochydore and just beating up everyone till youā€™re bored for years and then decide to move up?
Can't fault your call on Alex hills if they had a plan to move up it would be ideal now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

QFA Div 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back