QFA Div 4&5

Remove this Banner Ad

It always gets a bit awkward when your 3rds are dominating and your ressies are getting flogged. Pretty sure it’s caused issues with clubs in the past . That’s why most if not all the 3rds are totally separate. As they should be. I still don’t get Marcellin though. Are they the Grange or are they school old boys 🤔
Exactly GA - whether Thommo your club does the right thing, well thats fine, and hats off to you, but other clubs don't, and haven't in the past as GA has alluded to. Whether it is tempting or not shouldn't be the issue, it just should be legislated against imo. If Moorooka was to pu a dozen blokes from the left overs of Coops 2's, Morningside 2's, Sherwoods 2's I think I know who would win if they played most sides in Div 4 (not all).

It is legislated against.

If you play a single senior game at any level, even Div 2, you are not allowed to play Friday nights.

Blokes coming 'back' from 2s is incredibly rare, it's often the other way around. 2s might be short and a Friday night bloke backs up and helps out.

Last year, we had huge numbers in 2s in preseason and agreed to a plan that we would keep 3 spots on the bench free for guys that miss out on reserves. Never had to actually do it once, as once guys realise they aren't getting picked, they go and find something else to do or they go play Div 2 seniors.

I am good mates with the morningside Div 3 coach, I know they don't take blokes from their 2s either, unless they are short and there happens to be some available pretty much same as us, but it rarely actually happens.

Our 3rds have been going since 2005, we've won 5 flags in 18 seasons and we've actually only been the '3rds' since 2019, before that we were a fully separate club and if we needed to fill in for the 2s we needed a permit and vice versa.

Last year, I think 4 of us played 1 ressies game each, 3 of those guys (including me) were 35+ years old and just happened to be at the ground doing something else when a player was needed. I don't recall a single regular 2s player playing for us, and they sure as shit didn't play finals, we played with 21 in 2 out of the 4 finals we played!

If you actually look at the permits, we have sent our spares all over the place to Jindalee, Park Ridge, Beenleigh, Yeronga, Ipswich etc

Often those clubs play them in the 1s, which then renders them ineligible for Fridays anyway.

Reckon in last 3-4 years I've suited up for at least 3 of the above clubs a couple of times each.

This conversation about stacking a 3rds side is pointless.
Any club that has a thirds uses it to get blokes a game who miss on twos that weekend or 3rds helping fill in the 2s if needed.
If a club has three teams and the focus is on winning a 3rds flag then the culture there would come into question.
If clubs need permits to get a game up then so be it and well done to those who help.

Exactly GA - whether Thommo your club does the right thing, well thats fine, and hats off to you, but other clubs don't, and haven't in the past as GA has alluded to. Whether it is tempting or not shouldn't be the issue, it just should be legislated against imo. If Moorooka was to pu a dozen blokes from the left overs of Coops 2's, Morningside 2's, Sherwoods 2's I think I know who would win if they played most sides in Div 4 (not all).
SMY, have you got any examples that you can share where other clubs haven't done the right thing? i e. actually stacked their 3rds with ressies. I have never seen it happen nor heard of it happening. Happy to stand corrected with any facts provided.

Think GA alluded to it well enough Lagging. And yea I do know of cases where it has occurred where the 2's were out of contention but it wasn't at QAFL level.

Think GA alluded to it well enough Lagging. And yea I do know of cases where it has occurred where the 2's were out of contention but it wasn't at QAFL level.

Well until 2022, only 3 QAFL clubs had a 3rds team - so you're casting a pretty big accusation there!

Correct.

For example, I played QAFL Reserves last year. I was 41 at the time and had played a Div 3 final the night before.

I did take mark of the century though 🤣

View attachment 1663582

As for the rest of the laughable rubbish, It's not even worth giving it oxygen as its simply not supported by any facts at all.

We've played short in finals in the last 2 years, and for the last 2 grand finals we've picked 22 players from 24 fit available players who are qualified, so not sure who was missing out after playing all year!

there is no bloody way that photo is real :oops:

To throw in my 2 cents.

To suggest the woodies/Sherwood claim to be ‘world beaters’ and stack their side with blokes from the QAFL/QAFL ressies and that’s why they have success is a load of rubbish.

I/we (collingwood park) have been playing against Thommo and the boys since 2015 and in that time (I can only talk on personal experience) they haven't ever dropped a bunch of young guns down to beat us (not that they needed to in the earlier days). However, I will add and I’ve said this to Thommo on and off field it’s miraculous that the team from rounds 1-12 and the team after that are very different when all the ‘old boys’ get off the couch and come down for a kick.

If this is due to low numbers and the SOS going out because they are loosing players to top up the other two teams that makes complete sense and it’s what Thommo has alluded to. That again comes with the territory of having multiple teams.

Whilst it’s a hard pill to swallow with all the beltings we have had over the years from Sherwood I wouldn’t say they have ever carried on like ‘world beaters’ or with any arrogance toward us. We certainly haven’t ever experienced them dropping/stacking their side it’s more a case of former players emerging from the woodwork when/if required. Our Games are always played in great spirit, are a classy bunch of blokes and they stay for a chat and empty the bar every time.

They will be the standard again this year. Well coached with quality everywhere come the pointy end will be incredibly hard to beat. As always.

As I said earlier, we had 24 to pick from for the GF in the last 2 seasons. We used over 50 players both years. We put the SOS out most weeks for numbers and scramble every Friday night for a team.

There is a very committed core group that have varied availability most of the year, but prioritise being available for finals.

Police officers, firemen, current members of senior coaching staff, guys that have fifo jobs, junior coaches etc. The entire reason some guys play in this team is the casual nature, no expectation to train, be available when you can etc.

Last 2 years, this worked well as majority of guys were available and/or not injured at the pointy end of the year, which isn't always the case which is why we've also had our fare share of beltings.

From my own position, I'm President of the club, I help coach a few junior teams and if there was a clash during the H&A season, under the wife's orders I attended one of my 4 kids games... but when the finals arrive, all bets off and I prioritise being available for selection. There are heaps of guys in the same boat.

Even on Friday night just gone, the named team vs what took the field was very different. A guy who played seniors last year, is a senior premiership player and will be one of our best had a late issue with his 3 week old baby and withdrew. 2 guys away camping with the families, another star player came to training and tore his calf, another one isn't around until Rd 5 as he also just became a first time dad etc etc.

There has never ever been a situation where a guy has played 90% of the H&A session and then just been left out, just does not happen. It's not how we operate.

As I said earlier, we had 24 to pick from for the GF in the last 2 seasons. We used over 50 players both years. We put the SOS out most weeks for numbers and scramble every Friday night for a team.

There is a very committed core group that have varied availability most of the year, but prioritise being available for finals.

Police officers, firemen, current members of senior coaching staff, guys that have fifo jobs, junior coaches etc. The entire reason some guys play in this team is the casual nature, no expectation to train, be available when you can etc.

Last 2 years, this worked well as majority of guys were available and/or not injured at the pointy end of the year, which isn't always the case which is why we've also had our fare share of beltings.

From my own position, I'm President of the club, I help coach a few junior teams and if there was a clash during the H&A season, under the wife's orders I attended one of my 4 kids games... but when the finals arrive, all bets off and I prioritise being available for selection. There are heaps of guys in the same boat.

Even on Friday night just gone, the named team vs what took the field was very different. A guy who played seniors last year, is a senior premiership player and will be one of our best had a late issue with his 3 week old baby and withdrew. 2 guys away camping with the families, another star player came to training and tore his calf, another one isn't around until Rd 5 as he also just became a first time dad etc etc.

There has never ever been a situation where a guy has played 90% of the H&A session and then just been left out, just does not happen. It's not how we operate.

Wasn’t a dig at all mate. End of the day it’s pretty simple. When you’re on top everybody has something to say or rocks to throw. From our perspective it’s just get better and try knock you blokes off, everything else is just words. Hopefully you’re available later in the year for the usual rubbish chat and a beverage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok. This started because FIIK accused Sherwood of doing it without any facts. Just a good old fashioned BigFooty slander. Great entertainment, however I think we have clarified that now this isn't factual nor accurate.

You have said that you have some factual knowledge of clubs who have done the wrong thing. I have asked you to name them and you are referencing GA's comments, which mentions Marcellin.

So if I can summarise, we've moved from accusations of Sherwood doing the wrong thing to Marcellin/Grange now?? Do we have the same amount of facts as per the Sherwood accusation??

Ok. This started because FIIK accused Sherwood of doing it without any facts. Just a good old fashioned BigFooty slander. Great entertainment, however I think we have clarified that now this isn't factual nor accurate.

You have said that you have some factual knowledge of clubs who have done the wrong thing. I have asked you to name them and you are referencing GA's comments, which mentions Marcellin.

So if I can summarise, we've moved from accusations of Sherwood doing the wrong thing to Marcellin/Grange now?? Do we have the same amount of facts as per the Sherwood accusation??
Didn't I say it wasn't at QAFL level?

This weeks tips.

Zillmere 20
Pine Rivers 10
Maroochydore 60

Sherwood 20
Morningside 40
Coorparoo 60
PAC pines 80

Caloundra 10
Ferny Grove 60
Sandgate 100

Brisbane 30
Redlands 10
Greater Springwood 30
Labrador 10
Beenleigh 4

I just wanna know why they wear gorilla socks and marcellin jerseys 🤣

So changing the subject because this one is getting boring
Just noticed on Cararra football clubs Facebook page that they have merged with Beenleighs Div 4 side and they are now playing Coomera at Cararra on Friday night under the Cararra name
Does this mean it’s essentially a Cararra thirds side as there is no mention of Beenleigh apart from saying they have merged ?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
So changing the subject because this one is getting boring
Just noticed on Cararra football clubs Facebook page that they have merged with Beenleighs Div 4 side and they are now playing Coomera at Cararra on Friday night under the Cararra name
Does this mean it’s essentially a Cararra thirds side as there is no mention of Beenleigh apart from saying they have merged ?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
On PlayHQ clearly says Beenleigh v Coomera, no mention of Carrara at all. Carrara will be sending a few players to Beenleigh each week to help with numbers, no mergers, I believe it is still a Beenleigh Division 4 South team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back