QFA Div 4&5

Remove this Banner Ad

Kedron is about 3km north of the CBD, I reckon they qualify as central!

REdland are more south than Kedron or Mayne are north!

Current north located teams: 14
Maroochydore, North Shore, Caloundra, Moreton Bay, Marcellin,Aspley. Hinterland, Glasshouse, Ferny Grove,Mayne,Redcliffe, Kedron and Sandgate.

Current South Located Teams (Anything south of Beenleigh):8 teams
Jimboomba, Ormeau, Pac Pines, Labrador, Coolangatta,Southport, Carrara, Coomera.

North would have 14 so which is a huge comp unless Mayne and perhaps Kedron join the central comp. South would only have 8 but I’d say at least 2 other “central” teams wouldn’t have an issue making it a 10 team comp in south .

Central: 11 teams
Sherwood, Collingwood Park, Coorparoo, Moorooka, Ipswich Eagles, Ipswich Cats, Springfield, Fernvale, Redlands,Yeronga, UQ.

Apologies if I have missed any teams. This is based on people’s suggestions on a north/central/south comp based on teams right now.
yep - to me it makes sense and will improve the comps in due course with new clubs far more likely to jump in because of the better locality. this would allow for the splitting of comps into better numbers anyway down the track.

Whole thing is that the sunny coast could have their own comp. Meaning you’d probably be able to put Mayne, Kedron, Ferny Grove and Aspley into Central and keep Sandgate North. However that would make central comp huge. However easy fix as there are plenty of central teams that can move into the south comp.

Secondary suggestion is that you have div 3 north, central and south. And perhaps a div 4 central for any left overs. But suddenly you’re back at 4 comps again like we have at the moment.

Gold Coast are at a stage where they could have their own comp as well. A good comp imo is there are even teams and play everyone twice. But again just an old man putting his two cents in.

The big clash this Friday in Div 4 South between the 2 undefeated teams in Greater Springfield and Southport.
With the facilities Greater Springfield have and their apparent high junior numbers as well as being undefeated at the moment in just their second year in Friday nights. Wouldn’t be surprised if they go Saturday in a few years. However they’d need money (don’t know their financial situation) and numbers (which I think they have). Although you’d assume they’d go div 3 first before venturing to Saturday. And same with Southport? Do they look to go Saturdays as well?

Does anyone know why these leagues don't have boundary umpires?

Is it just due to lack of numbers or by agreement to keep costs down?

Just seems bizarre that nobody even has a couple of clubbies running around helping out

Does anyone know why these leagues don't have boundary umpires?

Is it just due to lack of numbers or by agreement to keep costs down?

Just seems bizarre that nobody even has a couple of clubbies running around helping out
I’d say volunteers. Many are lucky to get live score going.

We had clubbies probably 10yrs ago, but many couldn't get the volunteers. Rather than some games with and some without, it was decided It was better to be consistent and have none.
At the time AFLQ struggled to get enough field umpires let alone boundaries. I don't think it was an option for AFLQ appointed.

Not long ago it was clubby goal umpires for every game, numbers there seem to have picked up the last few years though.

Maybe one to look at again? I'd have thought some better than none.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do they use boundary umps for finals? that is a fair bit of a different structure required than the normal ball ups!

Whilst on the topic of finals. Yes there is boundary umpires for all finals.

But I’d assume the same locations and joint GFs will be the same again this year? Div 3/4 North at Moreton Bay and Div 3/4 South at Yeronga? And surely staggered starting times like last year. I went to watch the south GFs played last year and the sirens on both fields didn’t seem to affect either game. Did anyone go to the Norths GF last year?

The north grand finals were both stopped for an hour for lightning. Div 4 at quarter time and Div 3 at half time. Fascinating Youtube viewing. Wonder if they'd have been replayed if they couldn't restart?

If they were going the joint route again there's probably not a lot of other options as you need somewhere with 2 full size ovals. Sherwood/Kenmore, Coops (If you want to play Div 4 on a postage stamp), Maroochydore or Meridan if you're pretty confident it'll be coast teams involved

The north grand finals were both stopped for an hour for lightning. Div 4 at quarter time and Div 3 at half time. Fascinating Youtube viewing. Wonder if they'd have been replayed if they couldn't restart?

If they were going the joint route again there's probably not a lot of other options as you need somewhere with 2 full size ovals. Sherwood/Kenmore, Coops (If you want to play Div 4 on a postage stamp), Maroochydore or Meridan if you're pretty confident it'll be coast teams involved
There are two full size fully lit ovals at Mayne

I wouldn't say the 2nd is fully lit either. Even if they trim the branches that are well inside the boundary I think it would still be dark.

Well the options for clubs with 2 grounds that are full size would be Maroochydore and Moreton Bay. I don’t know any more in the north. Since Maroochydore is currently sitting first in Div 3 I’d argue it’ll be Moreton again for the GF.

South would be Yeronga, Coorparoo or Kenmore/Sherwood. Coops sitting first in div 3 so Either Yeronga again or they go Kenmore/Sherwood.

Of course you could go Coops and Maroochydore but the point is more about neutral grounds.

Meridan Plains (Kawana) has 2 full-sized fields and seems to manage hosting junior grand final days.

Parking would be a definite issue in any sort of wet weather though

Remove this Banner Ad

Back