Not open for further replies.
Slabs away.
Stack a Pork Belly on that...
And a Chocolate pudding...............:D
If we lose I won't be hungry.
Shattered but full.

:thumbsu:

That be Huge Upset

Not really, Melbourne is a good side. Not a great one. In better form than us, but they’ve had no where near the injuries we’ve had.

Lever does hurt them though.

Plus, Melbourne’s 2 best defenders are in the black and white.

I think it'll be Hogan and McDonald that do the damage. Can't see how we keep both quiet. They hold a clear advantage in the key post match ups as Oscar Mac should be able to stop Cox too.

In the middle we have better depth and quality

Grundy - Gawn
Pendles- Jones
Treloar- Viney
Sidebottom- Oliver
Adams- Harmes
Phillips- Brayshaw
DeGoey- Petracca
Thomas- Neale Bullen

Wells is the clear possible advantage we could have in the middle, if he plays anywhere near his best. Melbourne have the advantage in sweeping half backs- HIbberd, Lewis, Vince and Salem vs Maynard, Langdon, Greenwood and Crisp.

My prediction, we will look good at times and even dominate the midfield but not be able to score heavily enough and will go down by 3-4 goals as either Hogan, McDonald or Petracca get hold of us.

I think it'll be Hogan and McDonald that do the damage. Can't see how we keep both quiet. They hold a clear advantage in the key post match ups as Oscar Mac should be able to stop Cox too.

Grundy - Gawn
Pendles- Jones
Treloar- Viney
Sidebottom- Oliver
Adams- Harmes
Phillips- Brayshaw
DeGoey- Petracca
Thomas- Neale Bullen

Wells is the clear possible advantage we could have in the middle, if he plays anywhere near his best. Melbourne have the advantage in sweeping half backs- HIbberd, Lewis, Vince and Salem vs Maynard, Langdon, Greenwood and Crisp.

My prediction, we will look good at times and even dominate the midfield but not be able to score heavily enough and will go down by 3-4 goals as either Hogan, McDonald or Petracca get hold of us.

Brayshaw is the obvious breakout among that lot, though we could mercilessly harangue him about his Dad's poor commentary skills...

Last edited:
Team compared to R23 2017.
Out: Elliott, Broomhead, Aish, Goldsack, Brown, Moore, Kirby
In: Pendlebury, Wells, DeGoey, Stephenson, Greenwood, Mayne, Mihocek
Changes to the Dees are: Viney, Spargo, Fritsch, Smith in for Tyson, Hunt, Garlett and Watts. Definitely a better side but it is hard not to argue that we field a way better side than last time we beat them.
Pies should win in a canter but as we all know there are the refs to contend with.

Unfortunately they will kill us in the centre clearances and I can see several quick goals resulting from some Gawn magic.

Demons by 26.
A pox on you Adz.
I'll have none of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It might be the IPA talking, but I reckon we can win this one.
I was recommended IPA to take to a "cousins curry catch up" tomorrow - bought a cosy little pack of four. One cousin barracks for Pies the another for that mob so there's a fair chance of having the TV on - small set back room will do - otherwise it's pull an excuse and head home a bit early... PS taking a pumpkin and red capsicum curry - with a few almonds dotted throughout - no not a vegetarian - delicious ox-tail stew tonight
Pies by 7

Head up Dave.
You know there is actual scientific evidence that "positive attitude" actually makes things happen...unlike prayer....which actually has the reverse effect.....oddly.

That's because positive attitude is most likely also correlated to getting up and doing something yourself whereas praying is just waiting for everybody else to fix your problems. Makes perfect sense if you ask me.

Grundy to get the 3 votes. DeGoey to pump up his contract price again with 4+ goals. Howe to get mark of the year standing on Oliver’s head. Corksniffers to pack up at half time and head back to Falls Creek.

Go Pies!

Grundy - Gawn
Pendles- Jones
Treloar- Viney
Sidebottom- Oliver
Adams- Harmes
Phillips- Brayshaw
DeGoey- Petracca
Thomas- Neale Bullen

I think Pendles reprises his 'tagging' role and will try to stop Oliver at stoppages like he did with Cripps earlier in the year. Will be key for us to get on top in centre clearances, particularly if Gawn gets on top in the hitouts as Grundy is so important for us when the ball hits the deck. I like the Treloar/Viney matchup but Treloar will need to be on top of his game defensively. Adams/Viney could also be a good matchup for us.

Mayne or Maynard could spend time on Brayshaw if he plays on the wing, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them put a bit of time into Phillips. Perhaps Vince or Jones might go to him. Will be interesting if Melbourne or other teams start paying him a bit more attention given the form he's been in.

Down back, it's unfortunate to see Apples make way but someone needed to. The extra height of Howe will help as Pedersen coming in could have had the potential to stretch us. Dunn to Hogan, Shaz to McDonald. I also think Greenwood on Melksham could work for us.

I also think Melbourne should rightfully win this game. We have enough weapons to beat them if it all clicks & the loss of Lever could hurt what they've been doing down back. Their form has been pretty impressive though, so it's going to be tough. It starts in the middle though and if we can beat them in contested ball I think we're a huge chance.

Brayshaw is the obvious breakout among that lot, though we could mercilessly harangue him about his Dad's poor commentary skills...
Eh. Just get real physical with him. In a fair way.

Hey GC, on this post can I ask your opinion of the available list we have? Do you think there is more improvement in it? I know your general thought that it is not a finals worthy side - yet. It still is building and you're taking into considerations team continuity, lineal vs fluctuating form and off field affects etc.

Well that's my summation of your view. I'm just curious to know if you believe we can knock off such a form team and beyond, given your previous opinions.

You know my view, if this available list is managed correctly it could shape September - not win it but have influence. If the dees are half a percent off and we're on we can win tomorrow.
I wouldn't say not finals worthy. I see our list as one who if we play well can contend for a finals position. We are no certainties but pre season I saw finals as possible but not probable where I would say we are 50:50 now. Win tomorrow, and we can, and I would expect finals.

I think we clearly need a scalp. We did better in 2017 with teams above and around us on the ladder than we have done to date in 2017. At the moment we are a clear finals chance and our easy draw is a major factor in why this may happen. I don't think we have yet shown significant improvement in performance this season so the second half will be very defining. For mine we still lack a bit of top end talent as the main reason we will still struggle against the top teams this year. That is slowly being rectified.

We could however step it up in the second half of the season and enter finals with real momentum. I don't think that is likely but it's not out of the question.

This game will define our season. A win means we are a danger for the flag. A loss will mean that we are making up the numbers even if we reach the finals. The only alteration to this would be the early return of a fit Elliott, who quickly gains form. Then a loss tomorrow would not be so telling.

I was recommended IPA to take to a "cousins curry catch up" tomorrow - bought a cosy little pack of four. One cousin barracks for Pies the another for that mob so there's a fair chance of having the TV on - small set back room will do - otherwise it's pull an excuse and head home a bit early... PS taking a pumpkin and red capsicum curry - with a few almonds dotted throughout - no not a vegetarian - delicious ox-tail stew tonight
Pies by 7
I wouldn’t mind your recipe for the pumpkin curry please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back