Queensland Flood Crisis

Remove this Banner Ad

Was wondering if anyone knows if there is anywhere we can sign up to go upto Queensland and help out with the cleanup or anything? Been thinking i wouldnt mind going up to help them out as they need every bit they can get. I feel helpless down here and want to be out there helping.

http://www.emergencyvolunteering.com.au/ or call 1800 994 100

is there anywhere we can donate online donations via PayPal etc.?

I don't know about paypal, but any major bank will take a donation. The best way to donate is through the qld govt premiers appeal. They'll take any type of credit/debit card, and process immediately.

Thanks everyone for all your well wishes and your thoughts.

We live close to the Bremer river but we are on a rise. The next door neighbor is downhill a bit and his yard was inundated - they lost a caravan, their pool looks damaged and water crept under their house (2 story but most living area upstairs) and each house further along was worse off. Those at the bottom of the hill were totally under. The water level peaked about 3 am wednesday morning and slowly receded after that. The water has completely cleared from my street as of today (probably why they finally gave us power back). Everything that went under is covered with a slimy, smelly, red / black mud which is very clingy and has to be physically washed off.

My sons and I have been helping with the clean up up our street. One house has been abandoned but most are facing up to the task quite well. There is a lot of emotion and a lot of dispair but most people have been able to clear out most of their possesions as great piles of rubbish out front their house, then wash out the mud as the first stages of reclaiming their lives.

As I have stated so many times in facebook and text messages - my family are just so lucky - all we've had to put up with is isolation and loss of power (no hot water, food in fridge gone off, no coffee, no beer :eek:) but others have had their very lives torn apart.

Thanks for your thoughts - I'm going to celebrate having power back for a short while but then I have to get back to the serious work of helping others clean up.

Hi Guys, just got back on board. What an incredible few days it has been here in SEQ.

As I live on the GC, we where completely safe from what has happened to our big brother up the road. As I have property near Goodna (beginning of Ipswich) I took it upon myslef to go and have a look at the extent of the damage as the water began to receede. I can tell you that the pictures you see on TV do not do it justice.

To paint a picture, Goodna, is a community which houses a lot of housing commission and affordable housing projects, as I toured yesterday, I managed to find a vantage point from which I could view a great deal of devastation. The water had already fallen by a long way, yet I could see house upon house, large parts of the community and infrastructure still covered by up to 10m of water. In parts where that water had moved on, the stench left by the foot deep mud, was just bearable. I passed houses and spoke to people whose entire lives were now situated on the kerbside.

I can assure you that beacuse of the location of many of these houses, they would have no insurance to cover their losses, and probably little to no money to help get back on their feet. Devastaing to say the least.

I plead with you all to please dig as deep as you can and donate to the flood appeal, every little bit will help these people and many others bring some sort of normallity back to their lives.

My wife and I have now registered to help out in anyway possible. The registration process though, has for become entangled in politics and for some reason no one can give direction as to the best way to help those in need. So as opposed to waiting for them to contact us, we are hitting the streets and are going to help the first person we come across.

Hi Guys, just got back on board. What an incredible few days it has been here in SEQ.

As I live on the GC, we where completely safe from what has happened to our big brother up the road. As I have property near Goodna (beginning of Ipswich) I took it upon myslef to go and have a look at the extent of the damage as the water began to receede. I can tell you that the pictures you see on TV do not do it justice.

To paint a picture, Goodna, is a community which houses a lot of housing commission and affordable housing projects, as I toured yesterday, I managed to find a vantage point from which I could view a great deal of devastation. The water had already fallen by a long way, yet I could see house upon house, large parts of the community and infrastructure still covered by up to 10m of water. In parts where that water had moved on, the stench left by the foot deep mud, was just bearable. I passed houses and spoke to people whose entire lives were now situated on the kerbside.

I can assure you that beacuse of the location of many of these houses, they would have no insurance to cover their losses, and probably little to no money to help get back on their feet. Devastaing to say the least.

I plead with you all to please dig as deep as you can and donate to the flood appeal, every little bit will help these people and many others bring some sort of normallity back to their lives.

My wife and I have now registered to help out in anyway possible. The registration process though, has for become entangled in politics and for some reason no one can give direction as to the best way to help those in need. So as opposed to waiting for them to contact us, we are hitting the streets and are going to help the first person we come across.

Great post one2roo. That's what we've been doing - just cleaning up houses up our street no point in going further until those nearest have had some help. It would be overwhelming if you tried to help everyone. Just do what you can where you can and your contribution will aid the total.

My wife searched through our closets and grabbed some of our skinny clothes and our granddaughters baby clothes and some old computer chairs etc put them in containers out front our house with a sign "to give away" - all of it went. So many people have nothing left except the clothes on their back. Anything you can spare if you are near a flood affected area may be important to these people.

One comment re: Hater - Horrible news for your family

Got family that live just outside Grantham that lost the lot.

They no shit got my sister, brother in law, two kids and a dog out in a kayak. Tied it to a tree and watched their house disintergrate.

They had no warning.

...but so glad to hear that they survived.

Keep us updated about them please - would love to hear that some positive news comes out of it for them

thanks for stories guys
glad your all 'ok' sort of

I know my brother and wife have been helping out at the evac centre after clearing their own goods out,

suggestion:
the saints are looking for a project of some sort to put specific action into;
is there a sporting or other group that maybe you could suggest that they direct their assistance toward-

see
http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5315/newsid/106716/default.aspx

After close consultation with AFL Queensland - themselves affected by the flood - St Kilda Football Club is currently exploring ways we can assist as an organisation towards the redevelopment process of local football clubs in the affected areas.

Supplying equipment to clubs that have been destroyed would be fantastic. If they could run some coaching clinics for kids once they get the grounds back in order it'd probably be fantastic for the psyche of kids that have suffered through this. They need things to take their minds off it.

thanks for stories guys
glad your all 'ok' sort of

I know my brother and wife have been helping out at the evac centre after clearing their own goods out,

suggestion:
the saints are looking for a project of some sort to put specific action into;
is there a sporting or other group that maybe you could suggest that they direct their assistance toward-

see
http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5315/newsid/106716/default.aspx

Not 100% sure how it faired, but Yeronga FC woudl have been close to the epi-centre of the floods in that area.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not 100% sure how it faired, but Yeronga FC woudl have been close to the epi-centre of the floods in that area.

Yeah, but they are the new headquarters of AFLQ so they'll be taken care of.

Jindalee Jaguars FC is/was completely submerged.

Yeah, but they are the new headquarters of AFLQ so they'll be taken care of.

Jindalee Jaguars FC is/was completely submerged.

Kenmore bears and Sherwood Magpies also were close to going under on midday lunch time so I assume they were completely under aswell.

typical media. following the players (off all clubs) around until they do something stupid nobody would ever find out about, then put it on the front page saying how they are setting a bad example.

why don't they have some interest in keeping the 'vunerable' kids out of harms way by not forcing it down people's throats. write about the game.

leave the saints, cousins, fevola and the next puppet alone. if you really cared then you would keep this behaviour off the front page and away from the kids.

My media rant of a post seems well out of context now I have read the whole thread. Sorry about that. Glad everybody seems to be okay given these horrid events.

Sauce

My wife searched through our closets and grabbed some of our skinny clothes and our granddaughters baby clothes and some old computer chairs etc put them in containers out front our house with a sign "to give away" - all of it went.

Such a good idea. Many people probably have a ton of stuff that they probably won't use. Unfortunately most of the agencies down here say "cash only" which kinda gives me the shits. Thankfully my workplace did donation matching and we raised about 2.5 grand from a morning tea (where people baked the goods and brought them in).

But if anyone was able to take a truck from Melbourne to an affected area, I'd bet we could fill it with many more thousands of dollars of goods (just from this board alone).

the problem with Donated 'goods' apart from organisations/companies - ie large companies donating goods- food, bread, personal goods - is that it is often the ' NQR' variety and I can understand agencies saying- no more
I know in Victoria that agencies said they would have enough in warehouses for years after the bushfire relief and much of it Doesn't store well being that it is ' used'.

and you wonder then how much is " destroyed" I have heard for fact one well known agency regularly disposes of goods - and only keep the very best for resale.

I can understand those who need feeling that after/ or as soon as able wanting to ' get' for themselves.
the Red cross person at the showgrounds in Brisbane said they were better able to target the distribution of good when able to take from their warehouse and match size, style, gender etc.

hence the Donation of cash can be then directed to the less material needs- costs,food, petrol, medications,even business start up..
if as Kildonan did you can distrubute localy or to known then it seems to wrok better.

I wonder how the Victorian victims and even NSW victims are going to go trying to get assistance- whilst the extent and danger may be greater in Qld the personal result for each family may be similiar.

this link may be of interest
http://www.nearmap.com/?ll=-27.583345,152.795019&z=15&t=k&nmd=20110113

Nearmaps did a fly over on Thursday and have updated results from ipswich to the Mouth of the Brsibane- port

here's Ipswich

and in particular Colleges crossing
I was interested in this sara to give me a more precise view of what was has happened as I was out there just 3 weeks ago
if you go to the slide bar on the top right and hit the spot previous you get a picture from June last year- to see where the level was then.

Squizzy in relation to sending a container of goods- maybe chip in for specific items of some style- I saw a story ona group somewhere that was putting together personal baskets that could even be ued by those in emergency care- washing basket with toiletries, personal needs, a towel and a tea towel,
but I wonder even to get direct it to target, coles, big w etc and to supply new underwear., sock and jocks donations.,

163483_1592559534695_1257098112_31403999_1711387_s.jpg

My front door

167067_1592566334865_1257098112_31404016_1573590_n.jpg

Next door neighbor's driveway

168949_1592566494869_1257098112_31404017_295973_n.jpg

Over back fence

165685_1592566694874_1257098112_31404018_2975971_n.jpg

My dog testing the waters as they rose

162960_1592566974881_1257098112_31404020_3088287_n.jpg

Looking from my street after the waters fell - not the worst area - but remarkable still

163402_1592566054858_1257098112_31404015_5135837_n.jpg

Looking at the tops of trees that usually line the river bank - these frequently harbour rainbow lorikeets and/or flying foxes

169053_1592565974856_1257098112_31404014_3813827_n.jpg

Our major shopping centre - quite elevated -car park was completely under but shops safe. Only sign of clever planning that I saw.

Will post some more later

Read the article (thanks).

But out of date food and soiled clothing - that's just disgusting and (aside from the dimwits who used a tragedy to dump a pile of shit) it should never have made it through the sorting process.

And geez louise - the article mentioned it was hard to get down to Melbourne to collect the goods. Can't believe that's the arrangement - surely the goods would already be sorted and sent to affected areas (nearby warehouses who weren't damaged) well before a year passes by.

Sad really.

Remove this Banner Ad

Queensland Flood Crisis

Remove this Banner Ad

Back