Question Mark Over Leroy Jetta?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think that is because of the positions they play in the side. Davey does play more closer to goal, so if someone runs off him the will be exposed on the counter. Both are important to our side and I think we need both of them in the 22.

What? Davey plays a lot further away from goal compared to Jetta.

Big ? over jetta...not a fan at all, he has the worst hands in the afl and as a crumbing forward should be a lot better with his hands...really bad first half but his pressure in the second half probably keeps him in the side...geelongs backline isnt very quick but are just smart so hopefully our small, quick forwards will cause some headaches
GO DONS

i think he's a confidence player, and while he's still young, he needs a string of games in the seniors to maintain that confidence.

i'm a firm believer he will be a gun. i'd rather him be in the team than a player like skipworth for example, who we all know will be consistently ok.

Which goals are you refering to? He was involved directly and indirectly on only 2 goals for the entire game. One was when the ball landed in his arms from a Lloyd soccer which he then dished off sideways to Zaka who was 30M in the clear. This is nothing impressive and he would have needed to completely fall over for us not to goal out of that (or fumble an uncontested chest mark).

The second one involved some good play in the centre where he gave the 1,2 and then hit Davey with a pretty good kick. This was his only decent bit of work all game in regards to getting the ball then hitting a target.

The rest were shanks, mis-kicks, fumbles, and an overal lack of confidence. I would be surprised if he got the ball more than about 10 times and he would need to be getting it alot more than that in order to make up for all of his stuff ups.

Davey kicked 3.2 and usesd the ball well every time he got it. He was scratchy the week before but his performance against Richmond was quite good.

I am shocked that people are saying Jetta was as good as Davey.

He also laid a great tackle in the 3rd quarter which resulted in a turnover and pretty sure we got a goal out it.
Maybe you need to watch the game again as he wasn;t that bad.

I'm sure there was a thread on the Collingwood Board a few years ago exactly the same as this, but talking about Leon Davis
This is the only thing that keeps me going with Leeroy, the fact I can see some similarities between him and Leon. But if he is going to be at our club past the end of next season he must start improving at a little bit more of a faster rate! Do we finally agree on something? You must have put some thought into one of your posts for a change:D:eek:

I'm sure there was a thread on the Collingwood Board a few years ago exactly the same as this, but talking about Leon Davis

Another guy i was thinking about today was Richard Tambling. On the back of a couple of decent games, people are starting to think he might actually be a player.

What chance of a breakout year for Leroy in 2010 or 11?

Another guy i was thinking about today was Richard Tambling. On the back of a couple of decent games, people are starting to think he might actually be a player.

What chance of a breakout year for Leroy in 2010 or 11?
Lets hope that will happen. He was a a fairly high draft pick in the '06 superdraft and we've already lost hislop from that draft and gumby can't take a trick. He is important to our team structure in the future as our forward line would look much more dangerous with him and alwyn roaming the pockets complimenting our talls like neagle, gumby and still.

Not sure about the comparisons being made.

Tambling is blessed with explosive pace and pretty good skills.

Davis is blessed with exquisite skills and pretty good pace.

This was apparent long before they were any good.

What tricks does Jetta have? He is quite slow and his skills are questionable to say the least.

I'm not saying he can't make it as a player but he doesn't have anywhere near the upside of the other 2 players. He needs to improve rapidly if he is ever going to become a decent player.

Put him on the trade table at the end of the year should Con Freo to giving us a first round pick for him and some other late picks

lol, yeah nah..... those days are gone my friend, the times of cashing in on freo are history, we will probably go the other way now where we will just refuse to trade with anyone... thank christ :)

I remember jetta against freo last year when you guys beat us by 2 points i think, jetta really put us to the sword..... before leon davis got good, he only ever seemed to play well against freo, it was frustrating because id be saying, gee this guy cant get a kick against anyone, he is useless and now look at him... id perservere with jetta if i were the bombers

Jetta obviously can play the game. Jetta's confidence looks to be quite low atm, so I think he should stay in the Bendigo side for a while maybe a month or longer and work on his weaknesses. I'm sure they would be addressing these with Leroy but you can only lead the horse to water...as they say!!

Jetta should only be brought back into the side when he is playing a very high consistant standard of football, even for his own well being/confidence. I don't think he can improve when he is in and out of the side during the course of the year.

Hopefully he can find his form just before the end of the year for our push for the finals!!!

All players devalope at different times, he will come good boys just keep the faith!!!

Confidence is the killer with Jetta. He makes poor decisions and is often in two minds. I think a couple of short spurts into the midfield so he can get his hands dirty and doesn't have to think to much would be good for him. Get him in and under the packs and tackling (which is one of his best attributes).

I feel that when he does get the ball he takes into consideration every option he has and by the time he's done that he's got himself into trouble. The midfield would force him to make intinctive momentary decisions.

I think with our shortening injury list we can be more comfortable with leaving guys at Bendigo for development. They are there because there and need to work genuinely hard on their game to push into the senior side which has a much higher standard of selection -- It's only a good thing. Pressure on the seniors to perform, pressure on the fringe players to improve.

Leroy is one of those players -- he's shown glimpses in the seniors, hasn't put it all together yet but needs time and will get time. I think people have started to go the other way with his pace by referring to him as slow... he isn't exactly slow, still above average I'd say.

The player I'd be worried about and expect a possible delisting is Atkinson -- after coming into the team last year and doing some good jobs, we just haven't heard anything about him. I would have been happy to try him up forward when we had the room but it seems he hasn't been up to scratch (injured?).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jetta is quite a small player and has confidence issues, so you would always expect them to take a while to progress. Getting games into him at Bendigo isn't that bad of an option, but I believe he plays his best at AFL level.
I don't think we will see the best from him until 2011.

As mentioned often here, Leroy's problems have been for the most part about confidence. Cast you r mind's back to the last 1/4 of the Anzac Day match, Jetta runs into an open goal and cant handle the slippery ball, squanders it chokes under the weight of the moment. For me that was the defining moment of his season, if he had kicked that goal he may well be in the side now.

As mentioned often here, Leroy's problems have been for the most part about confidence. Cast you r mind's back to the last 1/4 of the Anzac Day match, Jetta runs into an open goal and cant handle the slippery ball, squanders it chokes under the weight of the moment. For me that was the defining moment of his season, if he had kicked that goal he may well be in the side now.

And what about when he side stepped a Collingwood player and finished to bring us back to 8 points.

And what about the tackle he put on Davis to force it out on the full (which perhaps should've been holding the ball as well).

For that one mistake, he served his part in 2 other goals, he nearly won that game off his own boot in that last 5 minutes.

Jetta is quite a small player and has confidence issues, so you would always expect them to take a while to progress. Getting games into him at Bendigo isn't that bad of an option, but I believe he plays his best at AFL level.
I don't think we will see the best from him until 2011.

2011 is a fair way away. He'll still be in the reserves at the rate he's going and will have been overtaken by our new recruits. How come Cyril Rioli can come in and consolidate his place at Hawthorn straight away? That's what we should be expecting from our players.

2011 is a fair way away. He'll still be in the reserves at the rate he's going and will have been overtaken by our new recruits. How come Cyril Rioli can come in and consolidate his place at Hawthorn straight away? That's what we should be expecting from our players.

Cyril Rioli is a very different scenario to Jetta.

Hawthorn had the luxury of drafting a player that would make an instant impact. When we drafted Jetta, we only had 3.5 wins, so we picked players that would be players in 10 years. Would you rather Myers in 4 years when he is one of the silkiest players in the competition or Palmer, a player who gives instant resulsts with very little improvement.

Secondly, it's much easier when your midfield is perhaps the second best in the league. If Jetta played for Hawthorn, he would be a much better player. As it be, he is playing in a team where his chances are limited with even less opurtunity to impress in the VFL.

His best leaves you in awe, but you're just going to have to be patient for the day that comes on a consistant basis.

Because Cyril is a better player. He was a top ten pick and you can see just how important he already is when looking at how their forward line plays without him.
2011 isn't that long away. I expect him to play another 5 games this year and 15 more next year. Hopefully we will see some flashes of brillance next year.
You just can't expect him to perform from the get go because Cyril did. Patience is needed, look at how good Leon Davis is playing now, he struggled until he was around 23.

So we should expect all players to be Rioli's or Selwoods or those guys that can come in and make an immediate impact :confused:

Rioli is a gun and is a much better footballer than Jetta. Jetta has plenty of talent and in time will become a very good afl player. He could even be one of those players that makes a huge leap to star because he has plenty of tricks.

At the moment he does not have the tank or the size to be a consistently good AFL player. He has shown enough to suggest that he'll be a player on day though.

And what about when he side stepped a Collingwood player and finished to bring us back to 8 points.

And what about the tackle he put on Davis to force it out on the full (which perhaps should've been holding the ball as well).

For that one mistake, he served his part in 2 other goals, he nearly won that game off his own boot in that last 5 minutes.

Point taken and agreed. But what I am saying Mr Fishguts is more simple than that:
He is an opportunist. That was an opportunity. He didn't take it.
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the guy and want him to succeed, I just think he needs to have show some cockiness. All the best forward pockets do. As Knighter has been saying all year 'you have to take the game on'.
I felt like he did in 08. But in 09 with limited chances, he has been a little more timid and looked like he has been scared playing into playing conservatively and not with his natural flare
GO LEROY!

So we should expect all players to be Rioli's or Selwoods or those guys that can come in and make an immediate impact :confused:

Rioli is a gun and is a much better footballer than Jetta. Jetta has plenty of talent and in time will become a very good afl player. He could even be one of those players that makes a huge leap to star because he has plenty of tricks.

At the moment he does not have the tank or the size to be a consistently good AFL player. He has shown enough to suggest that he'll be a player on day though.

Well you expect Myers to be some sort of gun . Now that he is not playing up to your expectations you simply label him a dud yet he has been on the list 1 year less than Jetta.
When i say Myers is a long term project who needs time to build his body up you say that is an excuse but bugger me you come out and say Jetta just needs time becasue he needs to build up his body and engine.

You can not pot one bloke and then use the same excuses as to why another is uner perfroming.
At least i have been consistant all along and said i did not rate Jetta before the draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Question Mark Over Leroy Jetta?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back