Question: Why is there so much prestige over being the number one draft pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

You forgot Wonaeamirri. I'm not disagreeing with you, I think Melbourne are building a great side, if they'd netted Judd rather than Carlton everyone would be talking about them being a top 4 contender. I was just pointing out where the majority of posters opinions lie in Melbourne's ability to win one by 2011.

Yeah, I probably could have added Wonaeamirri, Maric, Bate, Dunn and a couple of others.

I'm glad that we are starting again from scratch, drafting a good crop of players and not getting caught in between. That was our problem under Daniher, we weren't good enough to win a flag but we were too good to completely bottom out.

If we can stick to our guns and have faith in the young players, then things will slowly improve. On field results will gets things rolling off field, and before you know it, we'll be up there again.

This is all coming from a West Coast supporter.

lol

West Coast doesn't have a few thing that Melbourne has, and they will never, EVER have them.

That's class and history.

Firstly, like every other interstate club, the AFL looks at you as a pay packet and nothing more. You're not considered a football club. Do you know how you will be remembered in 20 years time? As the club that the worst drug problem in the history of Australian sport and whose Brownlow Medal and Premiership star was a cocaine addict. Forget the 3 flags. Everyone knows the Eagles as "that" club. When people think of Melbourne (people who are in the know, know what they're talking about and do some research before they make stupid claims) they think of one of the best sporting teams in Australian history from the early 50s to mid-60s. They also think of a few blokes called Ron Barrassi and Norm Smith, trail-blazers of our game that will never be forgotten. Who does W.C. have worth noting in 20 years? You think Judd left JUST to come home? He left because your club is a disgrace to the game and a club that allowed a drug epidemic to continue from 10+ years.

Secondly, like every other interstate club, you were helped by a blind, ignorant and money-hungry organisation in the AFL to build one of the best lists of the past 20 years. You can thank your flag of 92 to plenty of nice draft picks, salary concessions and state-of-the art facilities. You were spoon-fed from the moment you entered the competition until you were strong enough to stand on your own feet. What do clubs like Melbourne have to do, after creating this game, providing some of the most memorable, respected and well-known sporting stars of the past 100 years of Australian sport? They have to beg the AFL to get assistence to stay afloat. Then after they do that, THEN they can borrow money from the state government to get facilities that come within 10 meters of the quality of your facilities that were given to you in a box with a bow and tie.

Thirdly, the character of player is truly on show when they willingly play for a poor yet foundation club that has more class and stability than any of the interstate clubs and probably half of the Melbourne clubs. We will draft the Victorian boy because he will appreciate this game and the history it has, unlike most of you interstate supporters who think your rich, spoon-fed love-child clubs make the AFL what it is.

Just remember, people will ALWAYS remember the Melbourne Football Club. In 10 years, people will know us as the ORIGINAL club. You'll have nothing to show except a drug epidemic. I will never have respect for interstate clubs until one comes into the league and works on their own accord. It might impossible, but it might give their supporters a little more knowledge and respect for what it takes to be a REAL aussie rules football club.

I suggest you go back into the hole you came out of. I'm guessing there are a lot of them in the city you call Perth....oh, I'm sorry. I meant that town in the desert covered in sand and bush. Most isolated city in the world. Thank god.

This coming from an adelaide fan? :rolleyes:

Wow.
I don't really see what the OP's point is, there will always be prestige associated with the No. 1 draft pick and his opinions on Melbourne's future are his own.
What this thread has shown is that apart from Biffinator, Melbourne has some of the softest supporters on here.(I'm looking at you, whelan=legend, you even started a thread on your team's board urging people to come and abuse the thread starter FFS) Seriously, some of you came across like you were crying while you typed.
All I can say is, it's lucky none of you support Carlton, because you guys would be in a depression clinic with all the crap they get on here day in, day out.

Wow.
I don't really see what the OP's point is, there will always be prestige associated with the No. 1 draft pick and his opinions on Melbourne's future are his own.
What this thread has shown is that apart from Biffinator, Melbourne has some of the softest supporters on here.(I'm looking at you, whelan=legend, you even started a thread on your team's board urging people to come and abuse the thread starter FFS) Seriously, some of you came across like you were crying while you typed.
All I can say is, it's lucky none of you support Carlton, because you guys would be in a depression clinic with all the crap they get on here day in, day out.
I find the OP funny if anything, and i just wanted all the Melbourne supporters in here to rip into him (as barely any of us go to the main board these days). We don't go to the main board as it is obviously full of degenerates like you, and like coffeechill, an obvious homosexual.

The good thing about his OP was that he was wrong in so many areas there isn't a way that one person can point everything out.

After the OP, good thread though, 5 stars.

I find the OP funny if anything, and i just wanted all the Melbourne supporters in here to rip into him (as barely any of us go to the main board these days). We don't go to the main board as it is obviously full of degenerates like you, and like coffeechill, an obvious homosexual.

Strange that you'd get so wound up about something you find funny written by somebody you called 'a degenerate'.
Why is it obvious to you that he's homosexual? Do you have an insight into these things?

Strange that you'd get so wound up about something you find funny written by somebody you called 'a degenerate'.
Why is it obvious to you that he's homosexual? Do you have an insight into these things?
facepalm.jpeg

On most occasions, being selected number one is an acknowledgement that you're the best player in your draft class.

I don't understand why people have become so aggressive due to the OP, it's obvious they're a f**kwit, what club doesn't have them? Maybe have a laugh at their expense, but honestly get over it.

The good thing about his OP was that he was wrong in so many areas there isn't a way that one person can point everything out.

After the OP, good thread though, 5 stars.

:( oh no

Talk about getting wound up over nothing, clearly the OP does not know what he is talking about but all he has done is make a bunch of MFC supporters look like absolute fools.

You Melbourne supporters are actually worse than Carlton....by a long way. At least they have some genuinely good players with a good club structure. I can not blame you though for being jealous of the most successful club of the past 20 years. :)

Good luck in '09 and beyond :thumbsu: Although you probably won't need it with your current list of (overpaid) superstars you keep masturbating over.

Some fair points being made here. Honestly, we were the worse club in the comp this year, we deserve a bit of a ribbing but the OP just lacks a bit of sense here.
I have no doubt we'll be up there in a few more years time, just like WC will be, but all clubs go through this and a bit of understanding and common sense wouldn't go astray.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thesmallprint you're a dead set wan*er mate.....

If I remember correctly, Melbourne are in the same position as Hawthorn were 4-5 years ago.

Things change quickly, do not go counting your chickens before they hatch....

BTW, where's Benny Cousins these days???

Melbourne has some of the softest supporters on here.(I'm looking at you, whelan=legend, you even started a thread on your team's board urging people to come and abuse the thread starter FFS)

How does us wanting to come over and have our say make us soft? some bloke says something about our club, we naturally want to prove him wrong... pretty far from soft... use a thesaurus next time

Remove this Banner Ad

Question: Why is there so much prestige over being the number one draft pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back