Question

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 1, 2004
the lodge
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Essendon Bombers
Just a question regarding Stephen Gilham and Steven Salopek, why aren't these kids playing? Is it they're no good or do have potential as both were touted as good youngsters with Salopek pick 6 and Gilham vic metro captain. Thanks in advance

Bomaz_Magic said:
Just a question regarding Stephen Gilham and Steven Salopek, why aren't these kids playing? Is it they're no good or do have potential as both were touted as good youngsters with Salopek pick 6 and Gilham vic metro captain. Thanks in advance

Salopek is gun. Would be playing if the guy could stay on the track, this kid has a heaps of ability

Gilham- IS rather skinny has put a bit on since being at the club. He has been playing good games at North but out Defence is quite set and i think the Grew and Chappy are now ahead of him. I think he would look to move on for more oportunity.

So both can play? Also what would be required in terms of a trade for each of these guys? Would a Ted Richards and Bolton be adequate for a Salopek

Salopek has been injured for all but about 5 weeks of the year. Missed most of the first half of the year with a knee strain, played 5 weeks (a few at each level) then injured a shin. Then injured a knee again at training.

Gilham has been playing very good solid football in the SANFL. May get a game by the end of the year. Most likely will be kept on for next year

Gilham has suffered enough at North Adelaide, he deserves an opportunity to play AFL footy. If the selectors doesnt give him a chance to play at least one game to prove how talented he is, his career at Port Adelaide will not look promising. He is the only Port Adelaide AFL player I can name who has been very over consistent player.

I was a bit concerned on another thread where Malibu's inside information suggested the club was worried about Gilham's size - it suggested that we might be confused as to how to use a 6ft2 defender.

He will probably still fill out a little more, but I thought you only needed to look at the likes of Clement or Ben Hart, or even Maxwell from Collingwood to realise that 6ft2 players can still be very good as your third or fourth tall defender.
Gilham has been described as a good leader with a good footy brain. His stats have certainly been consistently solid at SANFL. The only vision I have seen of him this year was when he got beaten in the early stages of the North-South game by Ben Warren, but that wouldn't deter me from using him in a Monty type role at AFL level.
That sort of player could be a real asset to a side that already has good tall defenders (presumably Chaplin, Chad and Pettigrew in the future) and small defenders (JB, maybe Surj and Symes). There are enough middle-height good forwards like Green, Robertson, O'loughlin, to make a player of Gilham's height useful in the longterm.

No trade for either would be my approach but certainly start playing Gilham before end of 2005 and get Sal fit would be the two objectives.

Remove this Banner Ad

Question

Remove this Banner Ad

Back