PAFC - Questionable signings under Hinkley

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's go over the list of inspired signings made the AFL's answer to Carlo Ancellotti. I'm not talking about young players who are up and coming but could never quite cut it, I'm talking more along the lines of journeyman player who shouldn't be at the club.

1. Brett Eddy
2. Dom Barry
3. Jack Watts
4. Jack Trengove
5. Lindsay Thomas
6. Esava Ratugolea
7. Jimmy Toumpas

Is there anyone else I've missed?
Fantasia

I'm okay with the Rockliff, Motlop, Watts trio.

Only costed cap space, I have no problem trying to bring in 3 first 22 players from other clubs without selling all the picks.
My issue with that is I understand that in true Hinkley style all our top end draft picks were gone and our first pick was Hayes at 47.

Here is a list of guys who were taken after Pick 50 and in the rookie draft that year that are still on lists.

Payne Bris
Miers Gee
Miller Rich
Zerk-Thatcher Port
Moore Haw
Meek Haw
Xerri NM
Switowski Fre
Guelfi Ess
Banfield Fre
Holman GC
Mihocek Coll
Amartey Syd
Murphy Ade

So 2 possible all-Australians, one guy who we pretty much traded for a Top 20 wingman and there would be a number of those guys who would be a weekly starter in our team. I'm not saying that we'd pick the right ones because if you see who we did pick that year they are all gone (edit - except Farrell). But there was quality there that we ignored or other teams are able to develop these players while our coaches can't.

Last edited:

My issue with that is I understand that in true Hinkley style all our top end draft picks were gone and our first pick was Hayes at 47.

Here is a list of guys who were taken after Pick 50 and in the rookie draft that year that are still on lists.

Payne Bris
Miers Gee
Miller Rich
Zerk-Thatcher Port
Moore Haw
Meek Haw
Xerri NM
Switowski Fre
Guelfi Ess
Banfield Fre
Holman GC
Mihocek Coll
Amartey Syd
Murphy Ade

So 2 possible all-Australians, one guy who we pretty much traded for a Top 20 wingman and there would be a number of those guys who would be a weekly starter in our team. I'm not saying that we'd pick the right ones because if you see who we did pick that year they are all gone. But there was quality there that we ignored or other teams are able to develop these players while our coaches can't.
Hold on… we took Hayes over Xerri…

Ok, I loved what Sam Hayes could have been, but in comparison to big 🍒 Xerri he was useless! Weee our recruitment officers seduced by the All Australian honours? There is no way Xerri was drafted and learnt how to kick and catch with his endeavour at a lowly North who have barely won a game! Looks like we have a good one in Visintini, but we need to start to draft big blokes with aggression, Walsh example A. We can teach big boys how to run, you can’t teach what JHF and Walsh have, and we need more of it!

Bailey Fritsch would be an absolute laughing stock hack if we'd drafted him here. Our system is set up in the worst way imaginable for a player like him.

Thinking Fritsch would solve even a single problem for us is completely failing to understand why our forward line doesn't work.

Bailey Fritsch would be an absolute laughing stock hack if we'd drafted him here. Our system is set up in the worst way imaginable for a player like him.

Thinking Fritsch would solve even a single problem for us is completely failing to understand why our forward line doesn't work.
No one has said Bailey Fritsch would solve every single problem. No over has even said he would have been a star or even the same player. If your position is that you would rather Jack Watts playing an third intercept defender role than a small-medium forward capable of kicking 59 goals in a season, I would be shocked.

Yes, Bailey Fritsch would probably be nowhere near the same player at Port. He may even have been delisted by now. The reality of Jack Watts is we got 21 games from three seasons. Hindsight and all that but you need to consider reality if you also want to postulate on how someone would have gone had they ended up at Port.

We gave up a second rounder for a much criticised player that has shown little in 152 games that Melbourne were looking to part ways with. It was bad business.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't get the Fritsch hate.

I think he would do well anywhere because he is efficient and just knows where the sticks are.

He is good for 2 to 2.5 goals a game.
Is it because their other forwards tend to not do a lot of scoring?

By the way I'm not saying he isn't a skilled player who can kick. But so was Watts. I'm just pointing out that other players who would be comparable to his level softness have cult status on Ports Big Footy as arch enemies Bonner, Burton.

Is it because their other forwards tend to not do a lot of scoring?

By the way I'm not saying he isn't a skilled player who can kick. But so was Watts. I'm just pointing out that other players who would be comparable to his level softness have cult status on Ports Big Footy as arch enemies Bonner, Burton.
I feel like I'm getting some Jed karma sticking up for the Fritsch.

I feel like I'm getting some Jed karma sticking up for the Fritsch.

I totally agree with you on Fritsch. Highly skilled, super efficient player and would be damaging in any forward line.

Also, fun fact, he's kicked 6 goals in a grand final, which is the same number of goals kicked in grand finals by every Port Adelaide player combined for the last 20 seasons.

I totally agree with you on Fritsch. Highly skilled, super efficient player and would be damaging in any forward line.

Also, fun fact, he's kicked 6 goals in a grand final, which is the same number of goals kicked in grand finals by every Port Adelaide player combined for the last 20 seasons.
Nice to be on the same page, mate.

Chad Cornes would have taken an instant dislike to his hairdo and flamboyance and bullied him unmercifully until he asked to be traded to a Victorian club.

I hate how this isn't even a stretch to believe it would happen.

Payne Bris
Miers Gee
Miller Rich
Zerk-Thatcher Port
Moore Haw
Meek Haw
Xerri NM
Switowski Fre
Guelfi Ess
Banfield Fre
Holman GC
Mihocek Coll
Amartey Syd
Murphy Ade

So 2 possible all-Australians, one guy who we pretty much traded for a Top 20 wingman and there would be a number of those guys who would be a weekly starter in our team. I'm not saying that we'd pick the right ones because if you see who we did pick that year they are all gone (edit - except Farrell). But there was quality there that we ignored or other teams are able to develop these players while our coaches can't.
We spent our 2017 First Round pick on getting Sam Powell-Pepper in 2016. The 2017 pick ended up being Darcy Fogarty for the Crows. And I don't think I'd trade SPP for any of the players taken near that pick 12. You need to slide back 10-15 picks for Oscar Allen, Noah Balta and Sam Taylor (and the Geelong version of Tim Kelly) to find players that it sucks to have missed on. But those guys would all have been big stretches at pick 12.

I mean the trades we did around that 2017 1st pick, fed into our trades with Sydney in 2016 that resulted in sliding back for Marshall (giving up Florent, Simpkin, Venables and Gallucci), moving forward for SPP (Swans got Hayward with our pick) and gave us the 30s pick that took Willem Drew.

Bring our 2017 1st into 2016 worked out pretty bloody well.

We traded our second pick during the 2017 draft period for Jack Watts.

We spent our 2017 First Round pick on getting Sam Powell-Pepper in 2016. The 2017 pick ended up being Darcy Fogarty for the Crows. And I don't think I'd trade SPP for any of the players taken near that pick 12. You need to slide back 10-15 picks for Oscar Allen, Noah Balta and Sam Taylor (and the Geelong version of Tim Kelly) to find players that it sucks to have missed on. But those guys would all have been big stretches at pick 12.

I mean the trades we did around that 2017 1st pick, fed into our trades with Sydney in 2016 that resulted in sliding back for Marshall (giving up Florent, Simpkin, Venables and Gallucci), moving forward for SPP (Swans got Hayward with our pick) and gave us the 30s pick that took Willem Drew.

Bring our 2017 1st into 2016 worked out pretty bloody well.

We traded our second pick during the 2017 draft period for Jack Watts.
In hindsight, that trade for Watts went swimmingly well.😏

In hindsight the entire thing went pear shaped. The only experienced player from that year who came in for the premiership all-in is McKenzie and seeing how we went backwards its not just the Watts pick that ended up being a joke.

The joke is that there is no such thing as an all-in for a Hinkley lead premiership because its not going to happen. And here we are in 2024 and we have just done it again.

Remove this Banner Ad

PAFC - Questionable signings under Hinkley

Remove this Banner Ad

Back