Think Tank Questions you need answered

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't get why they can change a nappy but as soon as the cat takes a dump My Wife loses her mind. The cat is nearly 8 and she's never been near it. I was away for a few days a couple of years ago and she drove 20 minutes to get my niece to get her to do it.
I think my missus deliberately keeps getting pregnant so she doesn't have to clean her cats litter.

Jack Watts answers are about all that question deserves...
What physical attributes are required for all AFL players that women can't achieve? A man will always be the fastest person in the world, the strongest or have the most endurance, but AFL mixes all these things and you don't need to be truly elite at any of them to play AFL. I think a female athlete could be a good outside midfielder or small forward. Even fat thugs like Matthews was athletic enough to play AFL.

What physical attributes are required for all AFL players that women can't achieve? A man will always be the fastest person in the world, the strongest or have the most endurance, but AFL mixes all these things and you don't need to be truly elite at any of them to play AFL. I think a female athlete could be a good outside midfielder or small forward. Even fat thugs like Matthews was athletic enough to play AFL.
You really think any female would want to be on the same football ground as guys like Stephen Milne?

You really think any female would want to be on the same football ground as guys like Stephen Milne?

Careful Wankin1835,

The feline moral police lurk in these waters. Official authorization for all comments is required in writing and in triplicate

Actually, you need to be either elite at one, or a fair bit better than average at all (and that's without adding the skill aspect). The amount of women who fit that criteria in comparison to men is incredibly low, those who may be physically capable are more likely to pick sports with womens specific competitions (where those physical gifts can be best utilised), such as Tennis and Basketball.

Matthews may have been a fat thug, but he clearly covered ground as one (much like fat Dane Swan does).

The Williams sisters are possibly the greatest female tennis players in history. They played the then 203rd seeded male tennis player and lost in straight sets, consecutively.

The gap between elite men and women in sports is immense.

Actually, you need to be either elite at one, or a fair bit better than average at all (and that's without adding the skill aspect).
No you don't. When people say "Patrick Dangerfield has elite speed", it is "elite" by AFL standards, not by Olympic sprinter standards. Dangerfield isn't really elite. Almost all female olympic sprinters would match Dangerfield and many would beat him. So a female athlete could potentially be one of the fastest AFL players. You don't need to be particularly strong as an outside midfielder either. There is no reason that a woman couldn't have the kicking skills required to play AFL. It could happen in 50 years time.

The Williams sisters are possibly the greatest female tennis players in history. They played the then 203rd seeded male tennis player and lost in straight sets, consecutively.

But to make an AFL list, she would only need to be in the top 800 AFL players in the country. It could happen.

In fairness to the Williams brothers that was when they were still fairly young, it would've been interesting to see that when they were at their peak.

But yes, the point remains that if sports became gender netural, it would be very, very hard for a woman to crack it professionally.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No you don't. When people say "Patrick Dangerfield has elite speed", it is "elite" by AFL standards, not by Olympic sprinter standards. Almost all female olympic sprinters would match Dangerfield and many would beat him. So a female athlete could potentially be one of the fastest AFL players. You don't need to be particularly strong as an outside midfielder either. There is no reason that a woman couldn't have the kicking skills required to play AFL. It could happen in 50 years time.

Dangerfield runs that fast at 185cm and 90kg (once again not forgetting the ability), it's not as simple as being just fast. Daniel Chick ran a faster 400m than Cathy Freeman and he was only a solid player at best.

As for the kicking, you can't play AFL if you cannot kick over a distance of 45m (and relatively accurately too), I wonder how many women can do that on top of the physical attributes, then there's Chaisa's point on size.

But to make an AFL list, she would only need to be in the top 800 AFL players in the country. It could happen.

It really couldn't.

In fairness to the Williams brothers that was when they were still fairly young, it would've been interesting to see that when they were at their peak.

But yes, the point remains that if sports became gender netural, it would be very, very hard for a woman to crack it professionally.

Serena is the most powerful player on the woman's circuit, but she's about as mobile as Robbie Warnock, a decent male player would give her a working around the court too easily. She's not even the best suited womens player to test the theory on either because of that reason.

Dangerfield runs that fast at 185cm and 90kg (once again not forgetting the ability), it's not as simple as being just fast. Daniel Chick ran a faster 400m than Cathy Freeman and he was only a solid player at best.

As for the kicking, you can't play AFL if you cannot kick over a distance of 45m (and relatively accurately too), I wonder how many women can do that on top of the physical attributes, then there's Chaisa's point on size.
Yes, but you don't have to be as big as Dangerfield if you aren't an inside midfielder. Caleb Daniel is 163cm or something like that. I am not sure about kicking distance but a lot of it is technique. There wouldn't be many that could do it, but some could maybe if women's sports had more funding and support #AnythingIsPossible

Yes, but you don't have to be as big as Dangerfield if you aren't an inside midfielder. Caleb Daniel is 163cm or something like that.

167cm, and despite probably being the best footballer from SA, he slid a long way in the draft.

Lack of size is the biggest tick against any young player trying to make it in the modern AFL, because you can't coach vertical growth.

I am not sure about kicking distance but a lot of it is technique.

Strength/power as well.

There wouldn't be many that could do it, but some could maybe if women's sports had more funding and support #AnythingIsPossible

Oh it's that argument again. :rolleyes:

Oh it's that argument again. :rolleyes:
Why do you think countries that don't spend as much money on sport don't do as well in the Olympics :straining: It is a valid argument. If more women could make careers out of their sport, they would get better as they become more professional. If there was a Womens AFL, and it had as much funding as the men's, it would be much better quality than one that was semi-professional which would be like Leigh Matthews era football.
Strength/power as well.
You don't have to have elite power to kick a ball 50 metres.

Why do you think countries that don't spend as much money on sport don't do as well in the Olympics :straining: It is a valid argument. If more women could make careers out of their sport, they would get better as they become more professional. If there was a Womens AFL, and it had as much funding as the men's,

So we're supposed to subsidise a competition that doesn't pay it's own way just because?

That's like the title 9 bullshit (and it's reverse-sexism) that they have in American colleges.

it would be much better quality than one that was semi-professional which would be like Leigh Matthews era football.

If you want to have a proper debate on this, cut the Hawk bait rubbish that you know has no relevance to the argument. :thumbsdown:

I'm not saying you do, I'm sure there are some females that theoretically could compete in a kicking contest with an AFL-standard male. What I doubt is that any tick enough of the other boxes to make it.

Why do you think countries that don't spend as much money on sport don't do as well in the Olympics :straining: It is a valid argument. If more women could make careers out of their sport, they would get better as they become more professional. If there was a Womens AFL, and it had as much funding as the men's, it would be much better quality than one that was semi-professional which would be like Leigh Matthews era football.
The WNBA still averages less than 8,000 people a game despite being highly funded. Physically I don't think many women could match it against AFL players because it is such a physical game. It's more likely to happen in the USA in soccer before it happened anywhere else. Even then I think the chances are slim to none.

Women's Aussie Rules doesn't receive as much funding as men's because:

a) The Patriarchy is oppressing women, or

b) Footy is entertainment, and people won't pay to watch something less entertaining (e.g. women's footy).

Women's Aussie Rules doesn't receive as much funding as men's because:

a) The Patriarchy is oppressing women, or

b) Footy is entertainment, and people won't pay to watch something less entertaining (e.g. women's footy).
When did I say anything about patriarchy? I was just pointing out that male AFL is professional, whereas women's AFL is amatuer and if they had the same amount of money available to them, then they would be better. I didn't say they don't have the funding because of sexism. The women's competition is only new and it isn't national, who knows how good the very best professional female AFL players would be and whether they would be good enough to get drafted. They don't have to be the best in the AFL to get drafted.

Why do cats shit on the carpet when you go away for a few days? Is it an I miss you and I'm hoping your OK, OR is it a **** you I know you're coming back so get a load of my dump?

So you're THAT guy. :$

Remove this Banner Ad

Think Tank Questions you need answered

Remove this Banner Ad

Back