Toast Quinton Narkle

Remove this Banner Ad

He’s got it. Thought he was one of the only clean players tonight with the ball.

Love how he’s hard at it, explosive and things happen when he has the ball.

Great sign for the future.

I suspect he'll probably have a few struggles as he gets through his first 50 games as all young players do, but you can see the raw talent is there. Let's hope he gets a clean run at it, and not gets injured. Once he builds his tank I think he'll be terrific in the midfield too. Now all we need t do is get Nakai fit and our aboriginal contingent will be breathtaking to watch.

He delivering on his potential. And delivering really well.

Agree with BlakeyNoFlakey on the ups and downs, but he is very Cocky like when he gets it and goes. Smooth user and id be shocked if he doesn't get an extension soon.

Will be a player.

GO Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really clear but us this comment about the current preseason?

"In another running block to end a session early in pre-season, Narkle was afforded the biggest head start on teammates before they all breezed past him."

If that's this year he still has some serious ground to make up, but the glimpses of his skills and game sense are really exciting. Him and Constable are probably the kids I'm most excited about seeing more of next year

"In another running block to end a session early in pre-season, Narkle was afforded the biggest head start on teammates before they all breezed past him."

If that's this year he still has some serious ground to make up, but the glimpses of his skills and game sense are really exciting. Him and Constable are probably the kids I'm most excited about seeing more of next year
I couldn’t work it out. It might mean last year after he came back from the knee, but it’s not clear. I would have thought his fitness would have been reasonable after playing a full season, but still work to be good enough to play midfield. His fitness would have been pretty poor coming back from the knee.

But in saying that he is very young and missed a whole year. It will take a couple of years for full mature age fitness.

I couldn’t work it out. It might mean last year after he came back from the knee, but it’s not clear. I would have thought his fitness would have been reasonable after playing a full season, but still work to be good enough to play midfield. His fitness would have been pretty poor coming back from the knee.

But in saying that he is very young and missed a whole year. It will take a couple of years for full mature age fitness.
Yep, confusing. I think that bit has been edited badly. Otherwise a good read.

True he'll take a little while, but i guess that's why we drafted him so cheaply. Picking a skillful player with solvable problems like endurance is kind of the natural opposite of picking up a guy like Blitz so it's good to have a mixed strategy

I think that was from this preseason but still late last year - so before he started doing the extra work to build his tank. Hopefully there's an indication that he's more able to keep up at a later stage.

Early this preseason I think. They were using handicap runs . one group starts on back mark, then others start ahead in groups to the font markers. Makes it more competitive. I think younger kids still developing a tank get more out of it.

Anyway Narkle started up front in one I saw and was consumed by the chasers. He was having a crack though an visibly hurting. He still has a way to go IMO to play big minutes on ball but he can still be a good burst player. On ball and up forward.

As an aside Okinbur runs hard and smooth - already a big tank. Miers covered ground easily and Billy's boy was being cheered on as he gobbled up older players - he has a tank already.

Last edited:
Early this preseason I think. They were using handicap runs . one group starts on back mark, then others start ahead in groups to the font markers. Makes it more competitive. I think younger kids still developing a tank get more out of it.

Anyway Narkle started up front in one I saw and was consumed by the chasers. He was having a crack though an visibly hurting. He still has a way to go IMO to play big minutes on ball but he can still be a good burst player. On ball and up forward.

As an aside Okinbur runs hard and smooth - already a big tank. Miers covered ground easily and Billy's boy was being cheered on as he gobbled up older players - he has a tank already.
Please never stop your pre-season reporting, it's so good to be able to follow something like that which would otherwise just be inaccessible for a non local fan.

Any guess on 2 or 3 big improvers that may push into the side..?

Any guess on 2 or 3 big improvers that may push into the side..?

Not really. But

I was surprised by Miers running and it gives him a weapon to add to his goal sense /hunger, but he and his coaches have to figure out how to let him use his tank AND be at the fall of the ball up forward.

Having watched a few replays I am bullish about Abbott. He does look fit and just a couple of times in sims (no rucking but at psuedo stoppages he has been quite mobile and laid good tackles. If one of the other 3 push past a fit Abbott we are improved.

Blicavs left in Situ could well be AA as KPD and lead the defence .

Henry promises to go another level or two. He is and looks more mature.

Savrat is the key one. He is huge and mobile and just getting into his preseason. If he has learnt much watching from the sidelines last year he will go 50:50 with Hawkins (which is saying a lot).

I don't see doom and gloom just yet, but it is a tough comp so these and others (Rohan, Dahlhaus, Cockatoo, Stanley etc have to come to the party).

Not really. But

I was surprised by Miers running and it gives him a weapon to add to his goal sense /hunger, but he and his coaches have to figure out how to let him use his tank AND be at the fall of the ball up forward.

Having watched a few replays I am bullish about Abbott. He does look fit and just a couple of times in sims (no rucking but at psuedo stoppages he has been quite mobile and laid good tackles. If one of the other 3 push past a fit Abbott we are improved.

Blicavs left in Situ could well be AA as KPD and lead the defence .

Henry promises to go another level or two. He is and looks more mature.

Savrat is the key one. He is huge and mobile and just getting into his preseason. If he has learnt much watching from the sidelines last year he will go 50:50 with Hawkins (which is saying a lot).

I don't see doom and gloom just yet, but it is a tough comp so these and others (Rohan, Dahlhaus, Cockatoo, Stanley etc have to come to the party).

Great reporting on training and who's going well so thanks.
You mentioned Miers and Abbott, l'm not surprised about either and do believe both are big sleepers in the pack this year.
I'd like to know how Abbott ran in the TT and in which group he ran.
I also think he could play key postions as well as ruck, because his run and agility are the equal or better than players like Henderson and Harry etc.
Miers is one of the best runners on our list, (contrary to early reports)
he's a goal kicking forward and very capable through the midfield with outstanding run power and tough as well.
I didn't think Narkle would even get close so I'm not surprised in the slightest, as someone said "more a burst type player atm."
I think both Abbott and Miers are going very nicely and looking to step up in 2019.

Last edited:
From what I've been reading, they have been working hard with Narkle to build his tank, with measurable success. A great sign...my pick for a big step forward this year.

Just on Miers...he was always considered strong on endurance and running power...it was his off the mark pace that was questioned. One to keep an eye on, no doubt.

Its Narkle and Constable (and hopefully Cockatoo) that I think will take big strides forward in 2019...

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Quinton Narkle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back