Race in football

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by OldLion
AFL is blessed as a showcase for Aboriginal talent - undoubtedly it's been the best thing that has happened to the game over the last decade. The crowd is pleasant - not like in the 80's when you'd be constantly offended by comments , even from your own supporters - the players go about their work and the skills are there for all to admire.

All credit to those involved - but it really came about when strong characters like Long and Winmar said ' I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it any more' and brought it to a head. The image of Winmar is one of the defining moments in Australian history. Brilliant stuff. It gives us all hope and it's fantastic that footy brought it about. The playing field is level at last.

I grew up watching Polly Farmer and I can't remember any racist comments directed his way from the crowd - in fact not much was ever made of Polly's 'race' probably out of a sense of politeness and anyway Polly wasn't an in-your-face player - but Syd Jackson used to get it all the time. Later it was Jimmy and Phil K. - Jimmy got it more. I think it was because these guys had a little more 'relish for the contest' - i.e. white line fever ( no JK jokes ! ) - and would beat the others at their own game. So aboriginal players were OK if they didn't stick it up their 'white' opponents who, OF COURSE, were constantly cranking it out - see Confessions of Tony Shaw. As soon as they showed a bit of attitude - I think it was called uppidyness in the Deep South - well, they were fair game. Imagine Byron Pickett playing in the 70's - he would have got heaps .. whereas now, not a mutter.

Concerns about the exactitudes of terminology takes me back to the Apartheid days - when guys like Howard would rabbit on about 'not our concern','no politics in sport' and all that convenient bourgeois rubbish. If people don't like it, don't do it to them unless you actually don't like them. If that's the case, then say that and then we'll all know where we stand.
I remember going to a Swans game in the mid 90s and I was sitting in the Churchill stand and someone yelled out, "Kickett you useless boong". I was mad and I felt ashamed to be an Australian that day. These clowns need to be educated.

OldLion, that's low. You don't have a right to compare me with the KKK and Nazi Party. That's sick and I expect it to be withdrawn, with an apology, or your post will be reported to a moderator by 6pm tomorrow.

What I meant was that Anglo-Saxons don't seem to have racial rights, unlike just about every minority. The lawyer representing the tent "embassy" which stole the coat of arms called all white Australians genocidal! He said that all white Australians are genocidal by intent because they have benefited by the genocide of aboriginals. If I was to stand outside that courtroom and protest what is blatant slander, I'd be labelled in the media as a right-wing white supremicist! I feel disenfranchised of my rights as a member of society, by what I feel is an orchestrated guilt campaign.

AFL is blessed as a showcase for Aboriginal talent - undoubtedly it's been the best thing that has happened to the game over the last decade. The crowd is pleasant - not like in the 80's when you'd be constantly offended by comments , even from your own supporters - the players go about their work and the skills are there for all to admire. QUOTE]

Blessed? how can it be blessed with talent just because it happens to be black? this is my point, it is racism to differentiate between races.

All credit to those involved - but it really came about when strong characters like Long and Winmar said ' I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it any more' and brought it to a head. The image of Winmar is one of the defining moments in Australian history. Brilliant stuff. It gives us all hope and it's fantastic that footy brought it about. The playing field is level at last.

Winmar was a bloody disgrace to football when he lifted his shirt and carried on like a fool. Lets also not forget what Long did to Ben Cousins and to the melbourne player on grand final day (any other player would have got 6 weeks). Pandering to any ethnic cannot be good for footy.

Concerns about the exactitudes of terminology takes me back to the Apartheid days - when guys like Howard would rabbit on about 'not our concern','no politics in sport' and all that convenient bourgeois rubbish. If people don't like it, don't do it to them unless you actually don't like them. If that's the case, then say that and then we'll all know where we stand.

Apartheid? what does the AFL commission wasting money trying to promote Abo's in the game have to do with apartheid (which is really needed in Zimbabwe now)? I'm sick of Wayne Jackson and co trying to show how "abo friendly" the game is. It turns everyone off and makes people's disgust grow. This Anti-white and pro-abo in the game is getting on everyone's nerves. Just be equal towards races.

This sounds like Poor White Trash talk that is at the core of the KKK. I suppose you think that the UN is a global conspiracy and the Nazis were just misunderstood.

It's bollocks.

Finally commi comes along. "Poor White Trash" another great commi catchphrase. Shows they can only use catchphrases

No, this is reality, people are getting fed up with pandering to different races.

PS: UN stands for United Nothing and should be disbanded.

Can I just add that I do not agree with Tar. You are a joke Tar, Winmar and Long were both impressive footballers and their spot in the Hall of Fame will be well deserved. Your bagging of them reeks of prejudice, destroys your argument and damages mine. I hope everyone understands that Tar and I are coming from completely different viewpoints.

Originally posted by CharlieG
Can I just add that I do not agree with Tar. You are a joke Tar, Winmar and Long were both impressive footballers and their spot in the Hall of Fame will be well deserved. Your bagging of them reeks of prejudice, destroys your argument and damages mine. I hope everyone understands that Tar and I are coming from completely different viewpoints.

When did I bag their football ability?. But there are many good footballers around so in the end i'll take into account other qualities they posses before I rate them. People that bitch and whinge that they are picked on isn't one of those qualities

Originally posted by bunsen burner

Private schools seem to have a better standard of competition. At the school I went to, sport was compulsory whereas it wasn't at public schools. A very large percentage of Mick Malthouse's early 90s premiership teams were taken from the PSA's (Private Schools Association) Alco(k Cup competition.

I know this is off the point but, the AFLs gotta be concerned about the rising % of kids drafted from private schools, i dont know the specific % but it is quite high.

It would seem to me that if this continues public school kids wont bother to play footy as they will realise they have no hope of being drafted and the grass roots will whither more, the AFL should address this somehow.

Originally posted by fabulousphil

I know this is off the point but, the AFLs gotta be concerned about the rising % of kids drafted from private schools, i dont know the specific % but it is quite high.

It would seem to me that if this continues public school kids wont bother to play footy as they will realise they have no hope of being drafted and the grass roots will whither more, the AFL should address this somehow.
Fair enough. We can't blame the private school system though (I'm not suggesting you are either). The AFL may have to put more money into grass roots football, or even get together with the state schools somehow.

but as a Nation, we tend to shun those with darker skin and different facial features.

My thoughts are that there is less than 1% of our population that actually do this. The rest of the population is made up of people who believe the rest of us are doing this. There lies some of the problem

Is Zimbabwe a rascist country by any chance?

Zimbabwe is one of the most racist country in this world. It is ruled by dictatorial black nazi like Robert Mugabe who arrests whites simply because they're white. Now after his campaign of terror against whites it looks like his country can't even feed its own people. Just goes to show what happens when you arrest the productive people of society.

Originally posted by Tar

Zimbabwe is one of the most racist country in this world. It is ruled by dictatorial black nazi like Robert Mugabe who arrests whites simply because they're white. Now after his campaign of terror against whites it looks like his country can't even feed its own people. Just goes to show what happens when you arrest the productive people of society.

Is there actually any black african countries that are not run by a lunatic dictator who tries to murder his own people, maybe South Africa, cant think of any others.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tar has a point... when was the last aboriginal that was taken in the top 10 in the draft? I certainly can;t remember it.... then you have the players who have the talent but can't handle everything that comes with being an AFL footballer.... like money that your relo's all want a piece of.... I mean look at them... Winmar, McAdam, Derek Kickett, Dean Rioli, Winston Abraham.... etc etc.... They have all the talent in the world but unfortunately have a love of alcohol and getting fat on eating turtle. No wonder they aren't "risked" as top 10 picks.

How about Xavier Clarke & Ashley Sampi last year, for a start.

You have to back all the way to.... last year, when Xavier Clarke and Ashley Sampi (I think he's aboriginal, not sure?) were picked with 5 and 6.

What exactly did DK do wrong again? Adrian McAdam didn't enjoy the football lifestyle. Nothing wrong with that, neither did Danny Roach or Caydn Beetham. Winmar and Rioli's dedication is questionable, I admit. Don't have a clue why you've listed Winston Abraham amongst that group.

Posted By PhabulousPhil

Is there actually any black african countries that are not run by a lunatic dictator who tries to murder his own people, maybe South Africa, cant think of any others.

Botswana....

Most progressive Democracy in Africa, due mainly to a massive diamond mine, with non-corrupt government running it, that brings in massive funds to the country.

The unfortunate thing is that the HIV AIDS rate there is also the highest in the world.

OldLion, that's low. You don't have a right to compare me with the KKK and Nazi Party. That's sick and I expect it to be withdrawn, with an apology, or your post will be reported to a moderator by 6pm tomorrow.

What I meant was that Anglo-Saxons don't seem to have racial rights, unlike just about every minority. The lawyer representing the tent "embassy" which stole the coat of arms called all white Australians genocidal! He said that all white Australians are genocidal by intent because they have benefited by the genocide of aboriginals. If I was to stand outside that courtroom and protest what is blatant slander, I'd be labelled in the media as a right-wing white supremicist! I feel disenfranchised of my rights as a member of society, by what I feel is an orchestrated guilt campaign.

Last recorded case of Aboriginal slavery in Australia was 1972. Thats in many of ours lifetimes.

There is a lot of peace to be made between Aboriginal Australians and the so called leaders of this nation before we are going to get anywhere.

By definition of the United Nations, what Australia did to the Aborigines WAS GENOCIDE! In other nations (US, New Zealand, Germany) persectution of others due to race have been addressed a lot better than the 'lets pretend it didn't happen' way we have.

OldLion was totally justified in his claims.

Originally posted by Tar

Your point? Racism sux! No matter the colour of your skin.

Are you suggesting the black Zimbabwians aren't good enough to be productive?

Or that years of oppressive rule by whites have created an underclass of cheap workers who don't know no better. Two wrongs don't make a right but what is happening in Zim is symptomatic of the whites rule in Zim anyway.

Originally posted by Mr_Ed
Tar has a point... when was the last aboriginal that was taken in the top 10 in the draft? I certainly can;t remember it.... then you have the players who have the talent but can't handle everything that comes with being an AFL footballer.... like money that your relo's all want a piece of.... I mean look at them... Winmar, McAdam, Derek Kickett, Dean Rioli, Winston Abraham.... etc etc.... They have all the talent in the world but unfortunately have a love of alcohol and getting fat on eating turtle. No wonder they aren't "risked" as top 10 picks.

Are you for real?

Originally posted by Tar
Hi All.

I'm sick of racial considerations coming into football. Why should Aboriginal's get more considerations than other races in AFL just because they do in real life?

I mean, they don't have racial mediations when Italians and Greeks get called "dumb wogs" or somthing. They also dont dedicate games to Italians or Greeks or Australians like they do with Aboriginals (recent game at Bribery Stadium)

Any Thoughts?

Wheather you like it or not, it is called Being Politicaly Correct...

not everybody agrees with it but thats the way it is nowdays

Originally posted by Kenny_01

For example, if we call aboriginies black, then that is racist but on the other hand, if they call someone white, well no one thinks twice about it.

interesting to hear that robbie ahmat (ex pies?) is currently before the AFLNT tribunal on a racist slur charge in that he called the opposing team bench "a pack of white c*nts" i believe the words were.

havent heard the outcome yet but looks like there may be a cultural understanding class or 2 heading robbies way.

Originally posted by funky_monk

Last recorded case of Aboriginal slavery in Australia was 1972. Thats in many of ours lifetimes.

Slavery? Are you ignorant? Abos were behing rejected by their parents because they were halfcasts, whites came to the rescue in the 1950s and 60s and on. They should thank us. Ungreatful pigs.

There is a lot of peace to be made between Aboriginal Australians and the so called leaders of this nation before we are going to get anywhere.

Yeah they can get up off their arses and stop blaming whites for their problems. And stop infesting our trainstations.

By definition of the United Nations, what Australia did to the Aborigines WAS GENOCIDE! In other nations (US, New Zealand, Germany) persectution of others due to race have been addressed a lot better than the 'lets pretend it didn't happen' way we have.

You have no idea what you're talking about? How old are you out of interest are you still at school? because you arn't thinking rationally, more like a child. The above is utterly incorrect. Despite the fact that the UN has no credibility they never said what you claim. Fool.

Remove this Banner Ad

Race in football

Remove this Banner Ad

Back