Raph Clarke - credit where credit is due

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Raph Clarke - Credit where credits due

Yes it was clarke, why the hate for Armitage?

Goddard was not criticising raph, he was trying to help him by being honest..

Well, Clarke played and played well.

Armitage on the other hand has not played for a couple of weeks.

No hatred - I'm wondering myself why Armitage cannot get back into the side.

If it was Armitage he (or someone else) was talking about, would you still not consider "he doesnt train hard enough and doesnt eat properly when having time off" as criticism, but rather as trying to help by being honest ? Honestly...

Well, Clarke played and played well.

Armitage on the other hand has not played for a couple of weeks.

No hatred - I'm wondering myself why Armitage cannot get back into the side.

If it was Armitage he (or someone else) was talking about, would you still not consider "he doesnt train hard enough and doesnt eat properly when having time off" as criticism, but rather as trying to help by being honest ? Honestly...

Yes even moreso as Armo comes off as a guy who responds better to a spray, or being dropped. eg. Brian Lake

You have to be cruel to be kind sometimes..

Goddard is the main offender in handballing to Raph when Raph shouldn't get it, because he'll get tackled.

I really don't think Goddard likes Clarke at all. Came to this conclusion last night.

Goddard is the main offender in handballing to Raph when Raph shouldn't get it, because he'll get tackled.

I really don't think Goddard likes Clarke at all. Came to this conclusion last night.
He probably shouldn't like him. For someone with foot skills like Goddard to see Raph time after time turn the ball over under almost no pressure would drive him and the whole team insane. Very frustrating to watch and I'm not sure why he is still getting a game when players like Geary and Armo play well and they're dropped.

He probably shouldn't like him. For someone with foot skills like Goddard to see Raph time after time turn the ball over under almost no pressure would drive him and the whole team insane. Very frustrating to watch and I'm not sure why he is still getting a game when players like Geary and Armo play well and they're dropped.

Please have another look at the thread title.

This is a thread dedicated to finally giving Raph some cudos after years of highlighting his every fault. How about we keep it that way.

If you want to knock Raph there are probably over 100 threads already dedicated to that - use one of those please.

If true it backfired, because if anything Clarke is managing to cope with being under pressure and dealing with it pretty well.
He's breaking and dodging tackles.

Was more than serviceable last night, the only error that stood out for me was when we messed up that kick backwards right at the end of the game, but so what, it was well and truly iced by then anyway...

To be fair, he did make a few skill errors, but didnt everyone? Absolute dog of a game in my opinion...

I'm hearing worrying rumours about the recurrence of Raph's hamstring/back problems.

Would be an absolute tragedy given his terrific form. I was just starting to get the feeling that it was Skies the Limit time for Raffa.

Any word?

Clarke ripped it up against Richmond. See his coolness on the ball and setting up goals.

i told my mate during the 08 finals series that i would be getting raphs number on my back im finally gonna do it tommorow before the game, is there anyone else out there with his number on their back and what is the reaction haha

Had a bet with my mate and whoever lost had to get 16 on the back of our jumper . He lost it so he got 16 on the back . After Raph's terrific performance in the grand final we have managed to make it resemble a 10 but pretty much just killed a $100 Saints jumper haha

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love watching Raph, would love to see him in the guts more. I also like how Raphael in Arabic is translated as "God, please heal"

It's actually older than Arabic, it's Arabic's predecessor, Aramaic. In the apocraphyl book of Enoch from the First Century BC, God gets Raphael to throw Satan into the realm of darkness.

In all three major monotheistic religions, Raphael is associated with healing, and with all-consuming fire.

It's actually older than Arabic, it's Arabic's predecessor, Aramaic. In the apocraphyl book of Enoch from the First Century BC, God gets Raphael to throw Satan into the realm of darkness.

In all three major monotheistic religions, Raphael is associated with healing, and with all-consuming fire.

You ordained yet, Percy?

I see why you Barrack for the SAINTS! One must keep ones bases covered, wouldn't want to end up with the Demons:)

You ordained yet, Percy?
Nah, was thinking of getting ordained when I did my Masters of Divinity, but ended up going down the academic road. Now I lecture at a Theological College.

And yes, my favorite game of the year IS Saints versus Demons.

All the Clarke brothers are good Catholic boys - Xavier is named after a St Francis Xavier, one of the most remarkable missionaries ever. He travelled from Portugul around Africa, to India, to Malaysia, to Indonesia, to the Philippines, to Japan and finally to China, at a time long before frequent flyer miles - even the more conservative estimates of his impact say he baptised people in the tens, or even hundreds of thousands. Absolute freak.

Nah, was thinking of getting ordained when I did my Masters of Divinity, but ended up going down the academic road. Now I lecture at a Theological College.

All the Clarke brothers are good Catholic boys - Xavier is named after a St Francis Xavier, one of the most remarkable missionaries ever. He travelled from Portugul around Africa, to India, to Malaysia, to Indonesia, to the Philippines, to Japan and finally to China, at a time long before frequent flyer miles - even the more conservative estimates of his impact say he baptised people in the tens, or even hundreds of thousands. Absolute freak.

Its a pity that neither of the Brothers has really made it to star status (yet), because they really seem to be good role models off the field.

Its a pity that neither of the Brothers has really made it to star status (yet), because they really seem to be good role models off the field.
Someone said on here yesterday that they thought Raph was a bit homesick. Can be quite a debilitation affliction, maybe Xavier suffers the same.

If might be advantageous for Raphael to have a few family members at more of his games. But costs & logistics probably would make it difficult for the Clarke family. He's from N.T. is he not?

A good call from where I sit, Pers.

Of course SFX was great. He was a J. The thinkers. The only part of the church worth keeping (IMHO).

He was a J. The thinkers.

Having done all of 5 mins research, I'm struggling a little with :

"I will believe that the white that I see is black if the hierarchical Church so defines it".

Isn't that what Nick Maxwell (aka Dick Spakwell) says about Mick?

Having done all of 5 mins research, I'm struggling a little with :

"I will believe that the white that I see is black if the hierarchical Church so defines it".

Isn't that what Nick Maxwell (aka Dick Spakwell) says about Mick?
Ah, Iggy was just grumpy when he wrote that, Squizz - having a cannon ball rip through your leg and having your shattered bones reset several times'll do that to ya. I'm actually a Protestant, so he's written that to have a go at my mob, but I still actually really love Ignatius of Loyola's Spiritual Exercises - great tool for taking time out and getting your plans straight.

Yeah, Fehring, like Js, but totally absolutely go nuts for the Franciscans. Francis of Assisi was just flipping awesome. Most of my students (especially women, for some reason) tend to develop a bit of a crush for Francis. Admittedly, many of the Franciscans lost that beauty, love and passion later on (strangely, when they stopped upholding the absolute poverty Francis had been so passionate about.... go figure...), but contemporary Franciscans are starting to find that again (800 years later, but hey...).

Regarding the homesick thing, I think if Raph didn't go home last year, with all the stuff with his dad dying, then he's not going to go for that now. Having said that, he had Xav with him last year, so... Certainly, Rossy Tunga left because he just couldn't handle the dull, miserable weather of Melbourne in winter, which is probably why he's over in the WAFL now. Would not be surprised if he's a late pickup for Freo or the Water Closets in a few years... which would be fine - beautiful little forward pocket player, and would be great to watch, whoever he played for.

Raph has come good! His loss early was a significant point in letting Freo back in. He was playing v well

Remove this Banner Ad

Raph Clarke - credit where credit is due

Remove this Banner Ad

Back