Teams Rate my 2014 AFL Fantasy team

Remove this Banner Ad

New team, Thoughts?

Roaring Sloene FFC Fanplanner squad in the Dream Team competition. Salary cap left: $16,800.

Sam Mitchell, Pearce Hanley, Beau Waters, David Swallow, Matthew Suckling, Matthew Fuller
Jeremy Laidler, Christian Howard

Gary Ablett jnr, Scott Pendlebury, Tom Rockliff, Jobe Watson, Dayne Beams, Dale Thomas, Jack Martin, Claye Beams
Xavier Ellis, Dayle Garlett

Matthew Lobbe, Aaron Sandilands
Billy Longer, Daniel Currie

Patrick Dangerfield, Dustin Martin, Lance Franklin, Colin Sylvia, Alex Fasolo, Nathan Bock
Shane Kersten, Gary Rohan

This is probably about as good a team as you're going to get at this time of year. Your forwards are almost the same as mine, except I have Mitch Clark.

I'll have a shot at it. Thoughts?

DEF: Mitchell McVeigh Simpson Grimes Swallow Suckling (Fuller, Laidler)
MID: Rockliff Watson Cotchin D. Beams Murphy Savage J. Martin Tyson (Polec, X. Ellis)
RUCK: Pyke Sandilands (Longer, Derixx)
FWD: Dangerfield Mayne Franklin Zorko Fasolo Bock (Rohan, Kersten)
$61k in the bank

My first rough draft. Thoughts, opinions? Anyone from your club you see or don't see that you think i should consider?

Cash left: $162,700.

View attachment 38047

Just some thoughts on a few of your options.

Bontempelli is unlikely to get much game time in the midfield of the Dogs. We have Boyd, Griff, Libba, Wallis, Stevens, Hrovat, Hunter, Macrae, plus Crameri, Stringer, Picken, Dahl ahead of him. He'll play, but not regularly enough to be a good cash cow.

Howard is perenially injured and has had surgery in the off season. He's cheap for a reason, he doesn't play much. It's last chance saloon stuff for Christian, perform this year or be delisted. He's probably behind Goodes, JJ, Darley, Young and Fuller for HBF type spots in the squad. Watch in pre-season, but buyer beware.

I believe Billings was injured during the Saints pre-season, so may not be the best pick to start the year.

I'll have a shot at it. Thoughts?

DEF: Mitchell McVeigh Simpson Grimes Swallow Suckling (Fuller, Laidler)
MID: Rockliff Watson Cotchin D. Beams Murphy Savage J. Martin Tyson (Polec, X. Ellis)
RUCK: Pyke Sandilands (Longer, Derixx)
FWD: Dangerfield Mayne Franklin Zorko Fasolo Bock (Rohan, Kersten)
$61k in the bank
Love your Pyke and Savage Pick. Question is, Will Nankervis effect his score?

I'm not sure that Swallow will be able to increase on his average all that much, just buyer beware.

I'm not sure that Swallow will be able to increase on his average all that much, just buyer beware.

What? He played at half back this year because he carried an injury. By all reports he is due to return to the middle in 2014 where he should rack it up. Going into his fourth season and due to break out.

One of my first picked to be honest.

What? He played at half back this year because he carried an injury. By all reports he is due to return to the middle in 2014 where he should rack it up. Going into his fourth season and due to break out.

One of my first picked to be honest.
He carried an injury but he wasn't placed there for that sole reason, he played at half back because he plays that role well. With Martin and Jesse taking midfield time, as well Matera and Bennell floating more into the midfield I can't see him permanently returning to the midfield. He will see more time in and under through the middle but he made that role his own last season. I said that I can't see him increasing his average, adding the needed 12-15 ppg onto his average which is needed to make him a viable choice imo.

In saying that I hope you're right though, Dave was very strong in that role in his first season and I'd love to see him back :thumbsu:

He carried an injury but he wasn't placed there for that sole reason, he played at half back because he plays that role well. With Martin and Jesse taking midfield time, as well Matera and Bennell floating more into the midfield I can't see him permanently returning to the midfield. He will see more time in and under through the middle but he made that role his own last season. I said that I can't see him increasing his average, adding the needed 12-15 ppg onto his average which is needed to make him a viable choice imo.

In saying that I hope you're right though, Dave was very strong in that role in his first season and I'd love to see him back :thumbsu:

Fair enough. If he was a mid only I wouldn't be interested. As a defender? Yes.

Edit: Only priced at 69. Could easily move up to the 80-90 range with a good pre-season (by all reports this is the case) and more midfield time. Can't see him getting tagged out like Birchall, Gibbs and Hanley were this year. Might not hit the 120+ scores but can't see the 40's and 50's either. I like the consistancy a midfielder brings down back. I went on the Birchall rollercoaster this year and it was a right bitch.

$98,700 left over

Backs:
Suckling Mitchell Ibbotson Waters Bartel H. Taylor (McDonald Laidler)

Mids:
Steven Beams Hanley Dal Santo Rich Gaff J. Selwood S. Selwood (Polec Ellis)

Rucks:
Pyke Longer (Currie Dericx)

Fwds:

Dangerfield Patton Rohan Clark Bock Betts (Kersten McBean)

Fair enough. If he was a mid only I wouldn't be interested. As a defender? Yes.

Edit: Only priced at 69. Could easily move up to the 80-90 range with a good pre-season (by all reports this is the case) and more midfield time. Can't see him getting tagged out like Birchall, Gibbs and Hanley were this year. Might not hit the 120+ scores but can't see the 40's and 50's either. I like the consistancy a midfielder brings down back. I went on the Birchall rollercoaster this year and it was a right bitch.

this pretty much sums up swallow for me. can see him posting scores very regular in the 80s and 90s. but will rarely dip below 70.

he's definitely on my radar. if he has a strong pre season then it would be hard not to pick him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

this pretty much sums up swallow for me. can see him posting scores very regular in the 80s and 90s. but will rarely dip below 70.

he's definitely on my radar. if he has a strong pre season then it would be hard not to pick him.

The whole team is flying this pre season. I know you hear that from every club but the trainers are saying they are putting the players through drills that they just wouldn't have been able to manage 12 months ago. I'm expecting improvement across the whole squad.

The whole team is flying this pre season. I know you hear that from every club but the trainers are saying they are putting the players through drills that they just wouldn't have been able to manage 12 months ago. I'm expecting improvement across the whole squad.

exactly, suns improvement as a whole will lift players scores.

What's with the Claye Beams picks?

To be fair mate, you could ask that question of nearly every selection. There are 4 months to the season start and god knows what injuries, suspensions, ASADA's, fallout with coaches/Vlad's/Emperor Palpatine's could occur between now and then...

Everything is just speculation and guess work at this stage, even the premium selections...

God when is this shit actually starting? Surely with Supercoach opening early for Gold members DT wouldn't want to fall too far behind.

This season, I am going to take it seriously from day 1. Last year, didnt get into it til 10 rounds in.

Anyone know when we can start playing around with our team?

What's with the Claye Beams picks? Just because he's named Beams doesn't mean he's any good, plus his durability is very poor.
He's good. He's likely to get a spot for round 1 and has a lot of talent.
I agree his durability is very poor, just like Ellis, Polec, Tyson, Clark, Bock, Fasolo and almost all other mature age players at or around rookie prices. But it won't stop me selecting them at that price.

What's with the Claye Beams picks? Just because he's named Beams doesn't mean he's any good, plus his durability is very poor. Dom Tyson or Viv Michie are better options at a similar price.

DEF: S. Mitchell, K. Simpson, M. Johnson, G. Birchall, J. Grimes, M. Suckling (M. Fuller, J. Laidler)
MID: D. Swan, S. Pendlebury, T. Cotchin, D. Beams, D. Thomas, D. Tyson, X. Ellis, J. Polec (J. O'Rourke, A. Riley)
RUC: N. Naitanui, A. Sandilands (D. Currie, L. Lowden)
FWD: P. Dangerfield, D. Martin, C. Sylvia, L. Franklin, R. Gray, M. Clark (G. Rohan, N. Bock)

Cash left: $53,100
Set to be in our best team. Rookie priced in new pricing structure, 70 average at worst. Your loss chump

Not sure if this is best thread for it - feel free to move mods,

http://tooserious.net/Blog/tabid/90/EntryId/1961/New-DT-only-rule-for-next-year.aspx

"The crazy bastards actually did it. From the prospectus:
Round 1 will be treated as a 'test' week given it is split over two weeks. Your score however will count towards your season tally.

Unlimited trades can be made to your side prior to the commencement of Round 2. Once that round begins though, your team is locked away.

Player prices will begin changing after Round 2 (ie, between rounds 2-3) as final teams will be locked prior to round 2

Meaning, you get to chase the fixture over the first week and get an idea on actual teams before locking in.

The kicker for me though, is that sixth line. The one about the player prices moving after round 2! That's a massive change to the formula.
"

FWIW,

Just out of interest I had a play on FF setting up a pure premium/rookie team which is optimised for rd1 and the best I can get is still having 4-5 rookie priced players on the field so although it sounds nice to load up on premo's with the new rd.1 setup I think we'll still have to look at some midpricers and maybe rookies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Teams Rate my 2014 AFL Fantasy team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back