Rate our Pacemen :

Remove this Banner Ad

Esky Lid

Senior List
Jul 2, 2007
Out Bush
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Its fantastic. 3 Years ago ...our Pace Bowling Stocks were pretty average. NOW after 3 v SL. 2 v SA . 2 v NZ and 4 x Ind we have a really good pace Battery.

So .. In Order . Who do you rate the Best :

1. Ben Hilfenhaus
2. Peter Siddle
3. Ryan Harris
4. James Pattinson
5. Patrick Cummins
6. Mitchell Starc

Then there is :
Mitchell Johnson
Trent Copeland
Peter George

then there are the Untried ones who from all reports are very very Good :
Nathan Coulter-Nile
Ben Cutting
Josh Hazlewood

.. Who have I forgotten ???

... Should these 12 be sent off together Locked away with Dennis Lillee , Craig McDermott, Glenn McGrath , Jeff Thomson and Terry Alderman for a Month a Drilled / Drilled / Drilled on the art of Partnership Bowling and Sledging ???

Send them All on Tour !!! Make it a touring Party of 25 if you have to make them fight to the death for a Test Spot !!!

Of those currently in and around the team...

Ryan Harris
Peter Siddle
James Pattinson
Shane Watson
Patrick Cummins
Ben Hilfenhaus
Mitchell Starc

And a few of those who should be pushing for a berth...

Nathan Coulter-Nile
Ben Cutting
Josh Hazlewood
James Faulkner
Luke Butterworth
Peter George

Mitch Johnson is our best strike bowler.

Johnson
Sidlle
Hilfenhous
Cummin

should be our lineup

1. Harris
2. Siddle
3. Hilfenhaus
4. Pattinson
5. Watson

--

5. Cummins
6. Starc
8. Coulter-Nile/Cutting/Hazlewood/Johnson

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So hard to tell on the back of this series cos the indians were just so so poor. Injury woes aside harris would probably still be our best but needs a few more games. Incredibly hard to tell with patto cos we've only seen him against 2 rubbish sides, but i love it so far. Cummins is also hard cos we've only seen one appearance but geez what an appearance! As a comparison, Siddle was shit in SA, averaging 50 where cummins came in and won us the second test single handedly, saving face and levelling what was a 2-0 whitewash were it not for him. That was against the saffers at home which is a sure step up from NZ and India away. If he can back up he will be gold. Hilfenhaus, albeit only against the Indians, has been sensational and Siddle has been excellent against NZ and India though still losing it sometimes when trying to wrap up the tail.

Very impressed with how he has turned it around though a little disappointed he didn't live up to his potential sooner. Ditto Hilf, though Hilf can at least point to some injury woes. Full credit to McDermott and de Winter, but at this level you expect bowlers to know about putting it up there to get swing and not dropping in a short wide 4 ball once an over. I think Hilf and Siddle were both a bit guilty of rolling with the mediocrity of the last years and not doing enough to lift because their spots were safe after Clark and Lee left the scene. Now that competition is there they have both lifted amazingly to get their spots back which begs the question, why not earlier? Nevertheless, stoked that everyone is bringing their A games now.

Clarke must also get some credit for how he uses Siddle, bowling him in short, sharp bursts to keep his pace up. He is far less effective when he drops down into the 130s. People were criticising him for not giving Siddle longer spells and not bowling Siddle at the tail, but those things are ironically exactly what have removed two weak points from Siddle's game.

Really need to see more, but on gut feel and taking the standard of opposition into account I would very loosely go

1) harris (proven record against better teams and in adverse conditions)
2) cummins (big call but he looks something special to me, can't wait to see more, won't surprise me if he becomes a legend of the game with a very long career and 500+ wickets)
3) hilfenhaus (massive series, great new variations and a good extra yard, has always been smart now he has the tools in the shed, need to see him against better opposition)
4) pattinson (love him but need to see him against better opposition away, could easily jump up the rankings)
5) siddle (after a poor SA tour his consistency this summer has been excellent which was always his problem, need to see him against better opposition now)

I can see our attack settling around Hilfenhaus, Pattinson and Cummins with Siddle in to rest the youngsters and Harris out injured

Starc is miles off test standard. The others will have a hard time breaking in though Coulter-Nile and Hazelwood look the goods to push for a spot next Summer maybe

1. Hilfenhaus
2. Starc
3. Siddle
4. Harris
5. Pattinson
6. Cummins

I just can't for the life of me understand how anyone could put Starc ahead of any one of the guys you have him ahead of, let alone all of them.

Truly bewildering.

Personally I think you can just about throw a blanket over Pattinson, Siddle, Harris and Hilfenhaus. Cummins is probably right there with them but you can't really say for sure after one test.

I can see Patto/Cummins being a nightmare opening attack for the Poms next year. Cummins is lightning quick but bowls some loose balls and Patto is a bit slower but always right at you.

It's just about beyond belief that after struggling so hard to take wickets last year we now have such a strong pace attack lineup.

Should we be adding young McDermott to the bottom of our depth list yet? Must admit i have seen little of him but seemed to be having a good year and just took 7 for stuff all in nearly bowling Qld to victory against the Warriors.

NCN, Cutting, McDermottt, Bird and Faulkner all taking big hauls and Lalor has been consistent. What to do with all this bowling talent.

Is this guy any good? The only time I have seen him play was in the Big Bash game for the Scorchers against the Sixers and he was putrid.

he looks pretty innocous but he's getting wickets. he swings it a long way, but that is pretty much his only weapon so on days when it doesn't swing, and the white ball can be inconsistent with swing, he looks just like cannon fodder.

there is a serious abundance of fast bowling talent floating around.

how good is it. you could see the seeds starting to get sown last season wit coulter-nile and faulkner making an impact. pattinson started getting his injury issues sorted, then cummins burst onto the scene, and starc showing a heap of talent and performing in bits and pieces... hazlewood had been making noises for a couple of seasons but got injured (and again this season)

and with all of those guys have made further strides this year (except hazlewood), siddle and hilf rejuvenating themselves, and cutting returning from injury, that is a pretty good army of quick bowlers getting assembled.

and then the lesser likes of herrick, bird and lalor have been having an immediate impact upon elevation into the first class scene...

pretty much the only bowler that's gone backwards this year has been trent copeland while doug bollinger has become the forgotten man.

My top ten at the moment rates:

1: Peter Siddle
2: James Pattinson
3: Ben Hilfenhaus
4: Ryan Harris
5: Pat Cummins
6: Ben Cutting
7: Nathan Coulter-Nile
8: James Faulkner
9: Mitchell Starc
10: Luke Butterworth

some pretty good bowlers miss out - Clint McKay has been very consistent though not his best season, for all the shit he gets Mitch Johnson still wouldn't be far from that list but we'll see how he comes back from injury, likewise i'll reserve judgement on Doug Bollinger till he comes back from injury. Josh Hazlewood is a supreme talent with some pretty good performances to back it up too....

Remove this Banner Ad

Rate our Pacemen :

Remove this Banner Ad

Back