Rate our Pacemen :

Remove this Banner Ad

NCN, Cutting, McDermottt, Bird and Faulkner all taking big hauls and Lalor has been consistent. What to do with all this bowling talent.

We've got four bowlers averaging under 20 for the season. Cutting, Bird, Marsh and McDermott. It's a bowlers' season.

McDermott's is a two match sample size so not sure it's exactly reliable. He hasn't bowled on tough wickets yet in the Shield, but he's also looked good in short forms.

The two names in bold - who saw that coming?:confused:

he looks pretty innocous but he's getting wickets. he swings it a long way, but that is pretty much his only weapon so on days when it doesn't swing, and the white ball can be inconsistent with swing, he looks just like cannon fodder.

there is a serious abundance of fast bowling talent floating around.

how good is it. you could see the seeds starting to get sown last season wit coulter-nile and faulkner making an impact. pattinson started getting his injury issues sorted, then cummins burst onto the scene, and starc showing a heap of talent and performing in bits and pieces... hazlewood had been making noises for a couple of seasons but got injured (and again this season)

and with all of those guys have made further strides this year (except hazlewood), siddle and hilf rejuvenating themselves, and cutting returning from injury, that is a pretty good army of quick bowlers getting assembled.

and then the lesser likes of herrick, bird and lalor have been having an immediate impact upon elevation into the first class scene...

pretty much the only bowler that's gone backwards this year has been trent copeland while doug bollinger has become the forgotten man.

No love for Michael Hogan? Equal leading wicket-taker for the year at a very good average.

You can see why they've plucked Forrest out of the Shield for an international chance. Anyone who can score three tons this season is doing outstandingly well. The bowlers are running amok.

Just an addition to those above if one took ODI's into account too there's Lee and Bollinger. They won't be playing Tests (Bollinger may but there's a big queue) but it adds to the numbers around the country if we talk pacemen per se.

No love for Michael Hogan? Equal leading wicket-taker for the year at a very good average.

had a feeling someone would mention him... solid bowler having a very good year. gotta finish the year strongly. had been been so-so over the last couple of seasons. i'm always a bit hesitant to start heaping praise on blokes who have done that.... michael klinger probably suffered from that with the selectors. i'd say he'd have been very close to playing in last seasons ashes had he never played first class cricket in victoria.

haven't seen much of WA this season (really wanted to watch WA-Qld, but aside from day 2 when i was out pretty much all day, the stream was shithouse) but from memory Hogan has a lot of shoulder in his action, very front on?? but not in the way someone like pattinson, or steyn, or even ryan duffield bowls from front on but they still got a lot of body in it....

had a feeling someone would mention him... solid bowler having a very good year. gotta finish the year strongly. had been been so-so over the last couple of seasons. i'm always a bit hesitant to start heaping praise on blokes who have done that.... michael klinger probably suffered from that with the selectors. i'd say he'd have been very close to playing in last seasons ashes had he never played first class cricket in victoria.

haven't seen much of WA this season (really wanted to watch WA-Qld, but aside from day 2 when i was out pretty much all day, the stream was shithouse) but from memory Hogan has a lot of shoulder in his action, very front on?? but not in the way someone like pattinson, or steyn, or even ryan duffield bowls from front on but they still got a lot of body in it....

The stream was good on one of the days. Wish I'd stayed up for today's though, shit stream or not.

There are so many bowlers with good records this year, I'm not sure how reliable any of the performances are really except for Cutting. Even some of our spin bowlers are averaging in the 20's and low 30's!

Hogan is a bit front on, he's steady as, but he's not on anyone's radar though for anything above first class for obvious reasons.

Of those currently in and around the team...

Ryan Harris
Peter Siddle
James Pattinson
Shane Watson
Patrick Cummins
Ben Hilfenhaus
Mitchell Starc

And a few of those who should be pushing for a berth...

Nathan Coulter-Nile
Ben Cutting
Josh Hazlewood
James Faulkner
Luke Butterworth
Peter George

Cummins over Hilfenhaus...

Epic premature ejaculation on this board.

he looks pretty innocous but he's getting wickets. he swings it a long way, but that is pretty much his only weapon so on days when it doesn't swing, and the white ball can be inconsistent with swing, he looks just like cannon fodder.

Seems that way but I do remember him taking wickets with the older ball, I wasn't watching so don't know if it was still swinging. Even if it was, that is a skill in itself to keep it going for that long.

look I was/am a starc critic, but he is bowling really well atm.

I would also like to see more of cutting as well, he's dropped off the radar when he should have got his chance rightly a few weeks ago.

All I can say is 18 months ago, we were arguing who is in the shield teams to replace MJ ><

I remember these arguments about our batting 7/8 years ago when we couldn't find a place for some of the BATTING talent in the team.

heck if we can regularly bowl out teams for sub 200, why not 5 bowlers, 5 bats and wade?

I think one of cummins or pattinson will go on to add to the list of 'great' fast bowlers. Siddle will join the list of good fast bowlers IMO (merv. mcdermott, reiffel etc) instead of being one of 'serviceable' or 'honest' fast bowlers (kasper, lee, lawson, bichel)

If both cummins and patto go into the 'greats' list, will be a good time for aussie fans, good times. Who doesn't like the idea of two demon fast bowlers throwing down 150 km/160 km hr inswinging yorkers, and throat balls watching the batsmen dance, while hilfenhaus is bowling unplayable outswingers at 140 km/hr.

Provided Starc can keep himself around the level of the others he'll always be a huge chance of playing. Tall lefty with great pace and bounce, capable of a wicket at anytime. Sprays em a bit, but i think selectors will cop that for the variety.

look I was/am a starc critic, but he is bowling really well atm.

I would also like to see more of cutting as well, he's dropped off the radar when he should have got his chance rightly a few weeks ago.

All I can say is 18 months ago, we were arguing who is in the shield teams to replace MJ ><

I remember these arguments about our batting 7/8 years ago when we couldn't find a place for some of the BATTING talent in the team.

heck if we can regularly bowl out teams for sub 200, why not 5 bowlers, 5 bats and wade?

I think one of cummins or pattinson will go on to add to the list of 'great' fast bowlers. Siddle will join the list of good fast bowlers IMO (merv. mcdermott, reiffel etc) instead of being one of 'serviceable' or 'honest' fast bowlers (kasper, lee, lawson, bichel)

If both cummins and patto go into the 'greats' list, will be a good time for aussie fans, good times. Who doesn't like the idea of two demon fast bowlers throwing down 150 km/160 km hr inswinging yorkers, and throat balls watching the batsmen dance, while hilfenhaus is bowling unplayable outswingers at 140 km/hr.

Depends on the format. I don't want to see five bowlers in test cricket if 4 can do the job. Our batting isn't strong enough for that.

Depends on the format. I don't want to see five bowlers in test cricket if 4 can do the job. Our batting isn't strong enough for that.

I agree our batting is the weak spot at the moment, but the logistics of cricket is to score more runs than the opposition, if we get bowled out for 250 and bowl them out for 200...we win. That was pretty much the order of the day under Tubs when our bowling was premier.

Under S.waugh our bowling waned a bit, but our batting was per-eminent.

I am just excited about our bowling atm.

Wasn't a big fan of starc but he seems so much more than before.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yeah but if you're bowling teams out for 200 regularly then you're not going to be using five bowlers often.

definately need to work on our batting, in particular our batting depth... the bowling in our second XI would be much stronger than the batting.

yeah but if you're bowling teams out for 200 regularly then you're not going to be using five bowlers often.

definately need to work on our batting, in particular our batting depth... the bowling in our second XI would be much stronger than the batting.

amusing that 10 years ago we could have fielded 3 test teams worth of batsmen and yet past McGrath, Warne and Fleming, Lee was the next best, then guys like Bichel and kaspa.

Now we have a stack of potentially sub 30 bowlers.

swings and roundabouts i guess.

if you could only have one i'd rather bowling. not just cause i'm a bowler myself, but if you can't back yourself to take 20 wickets then you're really playing to draw most matches.

in 2034 test matches, only 11 teams have won a test taking 16 or less wickets. one of which is now very clouded due to Hansie Cronje, when England and South Africa both declared one of their innings at 0/0.

even excluding pre WWI tests when scoring was much lower, 207 teams have won scoring 400 or less (across both innings)... so it's proven over time you can defend low scores. but if you can't take 20 wickets, you're basically ****ed.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...l1=span;template=results;type=team;view=match

in saying that, we can't rest on our laurels with our batting because the depth isn't great, and hussey and ponting are getting very close to retirement and despite both having big summers (who didn't really??), they are still very much series by series propositions you feel. and if there was much pressure coming on in the sheffield shield it wouldn't be out of the question that they'd have been replaced by now.

there is plenty of talent there but it just needs to find consistency and maturity. joe burns is playing a very good innings right now. i got the impression watching him on the shield stream that he hits the ball hard and tonight has confirmed that. i've been harping about him most of this summer and he's been ok, but not great. ave about 35 for the summer. but there is a lot to like about him.

this is prety much an ongoing theme for all of the good young batsmen - nic maddinson, chris lynn, marcus harris. NM and MH have been dropped from their respective state teams at the moment. it will be very interesting to see how peter hanscomb goes in his next game. hopefully he can back up his ton.

hopefully our batting comes on next season and this season is the seeds being planted like it was for our bowling over the last couple of seasons.

discussed vic batsmen coming through, and none of them seem of test quality.

Aaron finch had big tickets, but hasn't impressed me, dave hussey should have, but wasn't given the opportunity, and white is going backwards. Quinney, I am against the one season for promotion but he's in roaring form atm, still seems a stop gap.

Best hope for vics in the batting department would be young handscomb. Would like him to take this opportunity to stack up the runs in FC cricket over the next season or two so when the spot opens up, he's on top of the queue, but expecting Cricket Victoria to screw up his career ><.

Wade for me is the clear choice for keeper, and he's done almost everything right so far.

And yeah previously McGrath, warne and dizzy would take 15 to 18 wickets between them. Nice if we can spread that between 4 bowlers.

I know its NZ and India in Aus, but the thought of cummins and Pattinson, backed by Siddle and Hilfy is exciting all bowling sub 30 averages.

1. Hilfenhaus
2. Siddle
3. Harris
4. Pattinson

First 4 pick themselves...hard to put them in order as all have been impressive.

5. Faulkner
6. Starc
7. McKay
8. Cutting
9. Hazlewood
10. Coulter-Nile
11. Copeland

Will wait and see on Cummins shown great first signs but can't list him having been out for so long, and has only just started his FC career.

Pretty clear we have a heap of depth in our bowling stocks all of a sudden, hopefully our batting goes the same way. Looking forward to seeing Faulkner in one of the ODI's soon looks a superb all-round talent.

Now:

1,Harris
2,Hilfenhous
3,Siddle
4,Pattinson
5,Starc

2 Years from now:

1,Hazelwood
2,Pattinson
3,Cummins
4,Starc
5,McDermott
I think the pumping of Hazlewood's tyres simply has to stop.

He has not shown any signs of being able to stay fit enough long enough to even make an international debut. Let alone being the best of a pretty impressive bunch in a mere 2 years.

^^ except the international debut he's already made?? ;)

but i do agree, he needs to get on the park before people start thinking of him being a top line international. has a lot of good attributes. it's suprising he has so many injuries because he's got a very smooth action.

^^ except the international debut he's already made?? ;)

but i do agree, he needs to get on the park before people start thinking of him being a top line international. has a lot of good attributes. it's suprising he has so many injuries because he's got a very smooth action.
I am referring to test cricket here. It goes with the spirit of the thread as we are mentioning Hilfy, Siddle and Pattinson here who aren't part of the ODI scene.

He does have a good action, so it makes me wonder how his management and recovery are? Is he doing everything he can in his rehabilitation? Is he being brought back too early?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rate our Pacemen :

Remove this Banner Ad

Back