Rate / Rank The Leagues - Yes its the unwinnable argument!

Remove this Banner Ad

understudy

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 12, 2002
North East
AFL Club
Collingwood
Rating the Leagues: Australian Football League

Here's an order I've had a go at:

AFL
VFL
SANFL
WAFL
Tassie
Diamond Valley FL (Melbourne)
Eastern Districts FL (Melbourne)
ACTAFL
Victorian Amateur FL
NTFL
AFLQ

DVFL under 14’s
AFL Little League
Outer Melboure Oz Kick Clinic

And finally:
Sydney Football League

To my knowledge this is how I perceive it – interested in others views.

CHEERS

In the NT the Darwin comp is now the AFLNT and we also have

DAFL - Darwin Amatuer Football League
CAFL - Central Australia Football League
KFL - Katherine Football League
TIFL - Tiwi Islands Football League

and I think your seriously underrating the AFLNT(NTFL) given that many VFL, SANFL & WAFL players are in the competition as it is a Summer (Wet Season) competition.

IMO it would be around the same level as the TFL.

• Banned
Originally posted by dreamkillers
In the NT the Darwin comp is now the AFLNT and we also have

DAFL - Darwin Amatuer Football League
CAFL - Central Australia Football League
KFL - Katherine Football League
TIFL - Tiwi Islands Football League

and I think your seriously underrating the AFLNT(NTFL) given that many VFL, SANFL & WAFL players are in the competition as it is a Summer (Wet Season) competition.

IMO it would be around the same level as the TFL.

Ok then buddy boy thanks for the info - no need for the cheap shot though! Funny enough we dont actually get much coverage of the AFLNT here in eastern states so how the heck am I supposed to know!

But correct me if I'm wrong, they don't actually produce many AFL players do they!!!!????? That is what I am partly going on!

Originally posted by understudy
Ok then buddy boy thanks for the info - no need for the cheap shot though! Funny enough we dont actually get much coverage of the AFLNT here in eastern states so how the heck am I supposed to know!

But correct me if I'm wrong, they don't actually produce many AFL players do they!!!!????? That is what I am partly going on!

It wasn't a cheap shot I just thought you seriously underrated the league up here - a cheap shot would be something like your placement of the Sydney Football League......but then I know bugger all about them......

I know the NT footy doesn't get much coverage on the East Coast but then not many footy leagues do - including the SANFL and WAFL.

As for producing many AFL footballers there were 10 on display last Saturday night in the All Stars side and there would be another 12-15 Aboriginal players from the NT that weren't allowed to play by their AFL sides. On top of that is probably another 10 non aboriginal NT players that are on club lists.

We may not have the high number of players drafted when compared to SA, Vic and WA but then we've only got a population of 150,000 in the NT. Compare that to the numbers drafted and the population in each state and we stack up remarkably well.

• Banned
Originally posted by dreamkillers
It wasn't a cheap shot I just thought you seriously underrated the league up here - a cheap shot would be something like your placement of the Sydney Football League......but then I know bugger all about them......

I know the NT footy doesn't get much coverage on the East Coast but then not many footy leagues do - including the SANFL and WAFL.

As for producing many AFL footballers there were 10 on display last Saturday night in the All Stars side and there would be another 12-15 Aboriginal players from the NT that weren't allowed to play by their AFL sides. On top of that is probably another 10 non aboriginal NT players that are on club lists.

We may not have the high number of players drafted when compared to SA, Vic and WA but then we've only got a population of 150,000 in the NT. Compare that to the numbers drafted and the population in each state and we stack up remarkably well.

Hmm well I guess there could be quite a few more in the system than I realise - I will have to do some research to check ur not bull****ting me!!!!!!

PS They don't seem very prominent at draft time - so seems like they just seem to sneak into the system which may be why i under rate them.

So maybe NT is on a par with Tassie then!!!!

CHeeers

Re: Rating the Leagues: Australian Football League

Its a difficult ask as I've not seen many of them ... but :

AFL
SANFL
VFL
WAFL
AFLNT
Southern FL (Tas)
Northern Tasmanian FL
Diamond Valley FL (Melbourne)
Eastern Districts FL (Melbourne)
Ovens & Murray FL
Victorian Amateur FL (A Grade)
Goulburn Valley FL
AFLQ
ACTAFL
MPNFL
Southern FL (Vic)
Sydney FL
WRFL (Vic)

The standard of aflq has improved dramatically, you would find that it is a stronger league than the two tasmanian leagues and the northern territory league, AFLq is now the equivalent of the edfl

Originally posted by acuguy
The standard of aflq has improved dramatically, you would find that it is a stronger league than the two tasmanian leagues and the northern territory league, AFLq is now the equivalent of the edfl

Mate, the AFL struggles to outdo the EDFL.

Could be right on the Tassie front, though, as they've had so much prostitution of the great game down there that there mightn't be too much going on anymore.

Originally posted by acuguy

I'd say it might be an interesting contest between the NTFL and AFLQ if they have improved as I know the NTFL flogged them a few years ago when they had the last real state championships.

The NTFL went through undefeated and won the Div 2 comp which was made up of QLD, NSW, ACT & NT

AFL
VFL
SANFL
WAFL

AFLQ
VAFA
EFL

NTFL

The AFLQ has improved more in the last two or three years than any other league full stop. The Sydney AFL has also improved in standard but remains a long way behind the ACTAFL.

Rank you Legues

Just an interesting exercise, thought I might list some leagues and get some input on ranking them. Not sure if this has been done before but would love to get peoples opinion. I have attempted to include what I think are major leagues, anybody wants to add in feel free.

In alpha order:

DVFL(DIamond Valley)
EFL(Eastern Vic)
NTFL
QSFL
Ovens & Murray
SAFL(Sydney)
SANFL
TFL
WAFL
VAFL
VFL

Re: Rank you Legues

Originally posted by tdubfleet
Just an interesting exercise, thought I might list some leagues and get some input on ranking them. Not sure if this has been done before but would love to get peoples opinion. I have attempted to include what I think are major leagues, anybody wants to add in feel free.

In alpha order:

DVFL(DIamond Valley)
EFL(Eastern Vic)
NTFL
QSFL
Ovens & Murray
SAFL(Sydney)
SANFL
TFL
WAFL
VAFL
VFL

Been done about 4 times :D ... but I think most of us are always up for doing it again!

My opinions may have changes since the last one, let's see :
NTFL - Tassie or NT?

SANFL
VFL
WAFL
EFL(Eastern Vic)
VAFA
DVFL(DIamond Valley)
Ovens & Murray
Northern Territory FL
QSFL
TFL
Northern Tasmanian FL
SAFL(Sydney)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've sort of been thinking more along the lines of grouping the leagues, rather than ranking them.

EG (based on how good the level of footy is) :

Tier 1 : AFL
Tier 2 : SANFL, VFL, WAFL
Tier 3 : Eastern FL (Vic), Diamond Valley FL, VAFA A Grade.
Tier 4 : Ovens & Murray, SAAFL Div 1.
Tier 5 : Goulburn Valley, Northern Territory FL, Southern FL (Tas), ACTAFL, Essendon DFL.
Tier 6 : AFLQ, Geelong FL, VAFA B Grade.
Tier 7 : Northern Tasmanian FL, Riverina FL, Ballarat FL, Bendigo FL, West Gippsland-La Trobe FL, Central Murray FL, Hampden FL.
Tier 8 : Sydney FL, Sunraysia FL, Murray FL, Southern FL (Vic).

(wrote those quickly so many might disagree).

Adding some more :

Tier 5 : Goulburn Valley, Northern Territory FL, Southern FL (Tas), ACTAFL, Essendon DFL.
Tier 7 : Northern Tasmanian FL, Riverina FL, Ballarat FL, Bendigo FL, West Gippsland-La Trobe FL, Central Murray FL, Hampden FL.
Tier 8 : Sydney FL, Sunraysia FL, Murray FL, Southern FL (Vic), Wimmera FL, North-Central FL.
Tier 9. Central Highlands FL, Horsham DFL, Warrnambool DFL.
Tier 10. Maryborough-Castlemaine DFL, Mallee FL, Colac DFL, Heathcote DFL.
Tier 11. Lexton Plains FL, Mininera DFL, Loddon Valley FL.

More :

Tier 8 : Sydney FL, Sunraysia FL, Murray FL, Southern FL (Vic), Wimmera FL, North-Central FL.
Tier 9. Central Highlands FL, Horsham DFL, Warrnambool DFL, Southern FL (SA), Tallangatta DFL, ALberton FL, Ellinbank FL.
Tier 10. Maryborough-Castlemaine DFL, Mallee FL, Colac DFL, Heathcote DFL, Ovens & King FL.
Tier 12. Riviera FL, Millewa FL, Omeo & DFL, Upper Murray FL.

Originally posted by mud n blood
You left out ACT.

It's on about a par with the AFLQ. I know we beat them in the rep game, but it's dangerous to assume this reflects a whole comp's standard.

I put 'em at Tier 5 and AFLQ at Tier 6. ;)

Mobb the Ballarat league is a little better than the Essendon league yet you the BFL 2 tiers below??? id have Bendigo and Ballarat 1 tier below GV and O&M

Don't know about that, tige, I've only seen a few games in the Ballarat FL, but they've all involved Sunbury (top), one of which was against Melton South, who were 2nd at the time. Any of the top 4 teams in the Essendon DFL would eat those two teams alive, IMO, from what I've seen.

Mobbs,

the SFL (Vic) has to be one of the worst leagues going around. Balwyn are the only good team in it. I'd put them in the last tier.

You've left out the Mornington Peninsula Nepean Football League MPNFL. Apparently the Premier division is a decent level, teams such as Mornington & Edi/Asp are as good as any going around.

I'll drop Southern a couple of tiers but NOT to the bottom, I've played for Chelt and come from a Lexton Plains FL club town and know that SFL is better than LPFL!

I don't know about Ballarat v Essendon so will let folks argue about it a bit more before making changes :)

Tier 8 : Sydney FL, Sunraysia FL, Murray FL, Wimmera FL, North-Central FL, MPNFL.
Tier 9. Central Highlands FL, Horsham DFL, Warrnambool DFL, Southern FL (SA), Tallangatta DFL, ALberton FL, Ellinbank FL.
Tier 10. Maryborough-Castlemaine DFL, Southern FL (Vic), Mallee FL, Colac DFL, Heathcote DFL, Ovens & King FL.
Tier 12. Riviera FL, Millewa FL, Omeo & DFL, Upper Murray FL.

Ummmmm, hmmmmmm, what to do, what to do...

I pretty much agree with Kev, though I'd rate the MNPFL a bit higher.

It's better than the West Gippy-Latrobe I reckons....

If you wanted to add in any more leagues from my original turf, the North Gippy FL would fit around tier 9 or 10, East Gippy probably around 10 and Riviera about 11.

Riviera's pretty crappy, but it's still a notch above the Omeo DFL. Though the difference between the NGFL and RFL has decreased, mostly because the NGFL has slipped a little bit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rate / Rank The Leagues - Yes its the unwinnable argument!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back