Rate / Rank The Leagues - Yes its the unwinnable argument!

Remove this Banner Ad

how can ammo's B grade be 2 tiers lower than A grade when clubs are constantly switching b/w the two

Originally posted by Richoagain
Ummmmm, hmmmmmm, what to do, what to do...

I pretty much agree with Kev, though I'd rate the MNPFL a bit higher.

It's better than the West Gippy-Latrobe I reckons....

If you wanted to add in any more leagues from my original turf, the North Gippy FL would fit around tier 9 or 10, East Gippy probably around 10 and Riviera about 11.

Riviera's pretty crappy, but it's still a notch above the Omeo DFL. Though the difference between the NGFL and RFL has decreased, mostly because the NGFL has slipped a little bit.

Tier 1 : AFL
Tier 2 : SANFL, VFL, WAFL
Tier 3 : Eastern FL (Vic), Diamond Valley FL, VAFA A Grade.
Tier 4 : Ovens & Murray, SAAFL Div 1.
Tier 5 : Goulburn Valley, Northern Territory FL, Southern FL (Tas), ACTAFL, Essendon DFL.
Tier 6 : AFLQ, Geelong FL, VAFA B Grade.
Tier 7 : Northern Tasmanian FL, Riverina FL, Ballarat FL, Bendigo FL, West Gippsland-La Trobe FL, Central Murray FL, Hampden FL, MPNFL.
Tier 8 : Sydney FL, Sunraysia FL, Murray FL, Wimmera FL, North-Central FL.
Tier 9. Central Highlands FL, Horsham DFL, Warrnambool DFL, Southern FL (SA), Tallangatta DFL, ALberton FL, Ellinbank FL, Mid-Gippsland FL.
Tier 10. Maryborough-Castlemaine DFL, Southern FL (Vic), Mallee FL, Colac DFL, Heathcote DFL, Ovens & King FL, North Gippsland FL, East Gippsland FL.
Tier 11. Lexton Plains FL, Mininera DFL, Loddon Valley FL, Riviera FL.
Tier 12. Millewa FL, Omeo & DFL, Upper Murray FL.

Originally posted by shmardin
how can ammo's B grade be 2 tiers lower than A grade when clubs are constantly switching b/w the two

If similar teams are swapping in and out, then its almost a certain indicator that there's probably a whole tier's difference between the two grades.

Originally posted by Unwritten_Law
Swap them.

The South hasn't beaten the North in seven years.

Tier 1 : AFL
Tier 2 : SANFL, VFL, WAFL
Tier 3 : Eastern FL (Vic), Diamond Valley FL, VAFA A Grade.
Tier 4 : Ovens & Murray, SAAFL Div 1.
Tier 5 : Goulburn Valley, Northern Territory FL, ACTAFL, Essendon DFL.
Tier 6 : Northern Tasmanian FL, AFLQ, Geelong FL, VAFA B Grade.
Tier 7 : Riverina FL, Ballarat FL, Bendigo FL, West Gippsland-La Trobe FL, Central Murray FL, Hampden FL, MPNFL, Southern FL (Tas).
Tier 9. Central Highlands FL, Horsham DFL, Warrnambool DFL, Southern FL (SA), Tallangatta DFL, ALberton FL, Ellinbank FL, Mid-Gippsland FL.
Tier 10. Maryborough-Castlemaine DFL, Southern FL (Vic), Mallee FL, Colac DFL, Heathcote DFL, Ovens & King FL, North Gippsland FL, East Gippsland FL.
Tier 11. Lexton Plains FL, Mininera DFL, Loddon Valley FL, Riviera FL.
Tier 12. Millewa FL, Omeo & DFL, Upper Murray FL.

Originally posted by Clackers69
Don't know about that, tige, I've only seen a few games in the Ballarat FL, but they've all involved Sunbury (top), one of which was against Melton South, who were 2nd at the time. Any of the top 4 teams in the Essendon DFL would eat those two teams alive, IMO, from what I've seen.

Clackers69 im gonna disagree strongly here :D At Sunbury this year i think 3 odd blokes came across from the Oak Park GF side of last year and only 1 of which is playing seniors.
Went with a few mates to see 2 of the EDFL heavy Weights in Abers and Oak Park and it was so dissapointing i almost spewed. Some of the blokes running around in the seniors was laughable. Sunbury since they first played Melton South are alot stronger side, they have alot of realy realy top players.

Mark Power- Won Nth Ballarat B&F when they won the flag.

Darryl Griffin- Western Bulldogs and North

Dean Lupson- ex Fitzroy

Justin Lewis- anyone from Epping will know how good this bloke is.

and there is alos about 4 or 5 ex senior Coburg Tigers players running around.
Very good side it would be realy good to see them up againts Keilor.

cheers

If it had been more than a decade ago - I would have said Ballarat are a long way ahead of the EDFL. I think they still are - but not by as much as Tige thinks. Sunbury would be stronger than any EDFL side, but I'm not so sure about sides like Redan, Lake Wendouree and Daylesford. I've always said that the BFL were weakened by the loss of North Ballarat to the VFL.

Dean Lupson? Who cares that he played for Fitzroy! That's the guy who got suspended for 12 months in 1990 while playing for Euroa for king hitting a Rochester player (I was actually there that day) and his entire conduct on that day - and indeed when the two sides met during the home and away season (I saw that game as well) he was similarly inclined. I even called for the Euroa coach to get the guy off the ground at one stage! Unless he's improved his attitude I wouldn't be promoting him as a player at my football club!

Originally posted by timelord
If it had been more than a decade ago - I would have said Ballarat are a long way ahead of the EDFL. I think they still are - but not by as much as Tige thinks. Sunbury would be stronger than any EDFL side, but I'm not so sure about sides like Redan, Lake Wendouree and Daylesford. I've always said that the BFL were weakened by the loss of North Ballarat to the VFL.

Dean Lupson? Who cares that he played for Fitzroy! That's the guy who got suspended for 12 months in 1990 while playing for Euroa for king hitting a Rochester player (I was actually there that day) and his entire conduct on that day - and indeed when the two sides met during the home and away season (I saw that game as well) he was similarly inclined. I even called for the Euroa coach to get the guy off the ground at one stage! Unless he's improved his attitude I wouldn't be promoting him as a player at my football club!

Your spot on with both count Phil.
While Luppo is a nutcase he still is a very good player he has even got more crazy in his old age. It was only 2 weeks ago he got rubbed out for 2 because he gave this bloke from Bacchus Marsh a flogging, there was even talk about him getting charged.
Besides that Luppo is a top bloke and a very good country Footballer, i know he sends fear through guys when playing. A great asset for the club.

Phil did you ever see the Sunbury Sides of the mid 90s???? with names like Darrin and Jason Tarkson, Mark Fedourik (Chooka), Matt and Mark Power, Darren Bell and Frankie Mezzatesta??? now they were guys id personally be happy to get out the way of.

cheers

I think the Nouthern Tas. Football League would be above the Southern Tas. Football League. Seeing as the North beat the South, which show's their league has a better amount of talent.

The Wimmera is at least 2 grades below Sunraysia. WFL down 1, SFL up 1

I don't agree with that, Spogs. I think Wimmera and Sunraysia are about the same level - Kev has it right.

Horsham v Merbein would be a good match up. (The respective top two sides for eveyone who doesn't know - after Merbein knocked off Red Cliffs in the second semi on the weekend)

No, Tige. Last time I saw Sunbury before last year when I umped their seconds was in the early 1990's. Got a video of their RDFL flag over Gisborne in 1990. Good game that one!

I agree with Spogs. WFL are in with a chance a losing their major league status. Haven't performed well in major comps in years.

Also think that ACTAFL is as good as O&M if not better. With the Sydney Swans Reserve team in the comp, and by no means dominating, I think they should be up at least on tier. Some of the big clubs in this league have got a football budget alone of $400,000/year. No team in the O&M would have that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Spackas
I agree with Spogs. WFL are in with a chance a losing their major league status. Haven't performed well in major comps in years.

Also think that ACTAFL is as good as O&M if not better. With the Sydney Swans Reserve team in the comp, and by no means dominating, I think they should be up at least on tier. Some of the big clubs in this league have got a football budget alone of $400,000/year. No team in the O&M would have that.

Spackas you would be suprised just how much some guys in the O&M are on. In the ACTAFL there payments would be by contract and is alot different, there would be set waged for like first year players or guys who have played 50 games and so and so on. In the O&M you will have the kids who are on myabe 70 bucks a game while you will get the guns who are 35k a season and so i doubt the O&M teams would spend as much as the ACTAFL sides but there best players would earn a crap load more than guys in the ACTAFL.

cheers

This one os for PHIL and MOBBS.

Guys i was speaking to some fellas who are very much in the know of local football and they said 10 years the Riddle District League was the best comp in the state.
Just wanna know your thoughts on that as the comp now is probably the weakest Metro league.

Teams that have moved on from the League to other Leagues in recent years.

Sunbury (Ballarat)
Melton (Ballarat)
Gisborne (Bendigo)
Craigeburn (Essendon)
Melton South (Ballarat)
Wallan (Diamond Valley)
Darley (Ballarat)

The Ballarat and Bendigo sides being the bigger clubs and big spenders of that crop.
Whats your thoughts on that Phil and Mobbs??

cheers

Pretty good Mobbs. I think that the Ballarat and Bendigo leagues should maybe be a little higher. They are definately way better than the B grade Amateurs, and the good teams are definately on a par with the top teams in the EDFL. it's just really hard to judge the good metro comps against the good country comps. A lot of these teams play pre season practice matches against each other but its still hard to judge with good player missing.

Originally posted by tige19
Your spot on with both count Phil.
While Luppo is a nutcase he still is a very good player he has even got more crazy in his old age. It was only 2 weeks ago he got rubbed out for 2 because he gave this bloke from Bacchus Marsh a flogging, there was even talk about him getting charged.
Besides that Luppo is a top bloke and a very good country Footballer, i know he sends fear through guys when playing. A great asset for the club.

Phil did you ever see the Sunbury Sides of the mid 90s???? with names like Darrin and Jason Tarkson, Mark Fedourik (Chooka), Matt and Mark Power, Darren Bell and Frankie Mezzatesta??? now they were guys id personally be happy to get out the way of.

cheers
Yep, Lupson is a total ****wit. However, I wouldn't call him that to his face, he's a fair bit bigger and stronger than me!!! The game I was at (you were probably there, tige) he and that other dead****, Trebilcock, wanted to start a blue with a few Melton South yobbo's. The MS blokes decided, rightly, they didn't want to be part of it, 'cause they were going to get smashed. So wnet to do a runner. Big tough Trebilcock decided to belt one, though, who clearly had decided to make good his retreat.

Anyway, I'll agree to disagree with you too, if you like. :D Only "saw" the 2nd half of the Abers v Oak Park game and it was ordinary (only watched bits and pieces, was too busy finding my mates and the bar!!!). Last years game at Oak Park was an absolute pearler. And my brother in law, who's seen a bit of local footy (including being coach of the Sunbury Rovers 2nds - which is no great claim to fame, admittedly!) reckoned it was the best local footy he's ever seen. Perhaps I'm still going on that.

Still, reckon that Sunbury have been ordinary (as in skill wise) in the two games I've seen them this year.

Hope the win the flag, though, and I'll be there to support them if they do.

And don't bring up ex AFL/VFL players playing for local teams. We've got a few, so I reckon we'll match you there. But we're still no where near the best team.

Guys i was speaking to some fellas who are very much in the know of local football and they said 10 years the Riddle District League was the best comp in the state.
Just wanna know your thoughts on that as the comp now is probably the weakest Metro league.

The RDFL is certainly the weakest metro league now.

As far as being the best comp in the state ten years ago - that rather depends on your definition of "best comp". It wasn't the strongest. They never got out of Division Two VCFL. It was competitive - especially amongst the stronger clubs that you named Tige, along with Riddell. I prefer not to rate comps on that because it changes from year to year so much you just can't gauge it.

Originally posted by Clackers69
Yep, Lupson is a total ****wit. However, I wouldn't call him that to his face, he's a fair bit bigger and stronger than me!!! The game I was at (you were probably there, tige) he and that other dead****, Trebilcock, wanted to start a blue with a few Melton South yobbo's. The MS blokes decided, rightly, they didn't want to be part of it, 'cause they were going to get smashed. So wnet to do a runner. Big tough Trebilcock decided to belt one, though, who clearly had decided to make good his retreat.

Anyway, I'll agree to disagree with you too, if you like. :D Only "saw" the 2nd half of the Abers v Oak Park game and it was ordinary (only watched bits and pieces, was too busy finding my mates and the bar!!!). Last years game at Oak Park was an absolute pearler. And my brother in law, who's seen a bit of local footy (including being coach of the Sunbury Rovers 2nds - which is no great claim to fame, admittedly!) reckoned it was the best local footy he's ever seen. Perhaps I'm still going on that.

Still, reckon that Sunbury have been ordinary (as in skill wise) in the two games I've seen them this year.

Hope the win the flag, though, and I'll be there to support them if they do.

And don't bring up ex AFL/VFL players playing for local teams. We've got a few, so I reckon we'll match you there. But we're still no where near the best team.

Luppo is one lose cannon, as tough as they come though. If you ever wanted to find a example of fair dinkum tough nut country footballer you could look no further than Luppo. On Trebilcock (Salty) he preety much got into it all because he had blokes like Chooka, the Powers and Tarksons behind him, his just a little money hungry **** :D .
On Oak Park, the side has been very succesfull but i just would be keen to see actually how much local players they have brought through there system???. I know that they had 4 or so Sunbury guys running around and i know that it has taken Sunbury Years just to get 1 back being Matty Payne (Silky) but dont you guys still have a few others. There are Rumors every year that those Sunbury guys are coming back, There was even talk of Darrin Tarkson from Abers coming back , i know that he was training with Sunbury for a while.
Tarko is another thug and i think Sunbury have enough Loose cannons at the moment haha.

cheers

Mobb the Ballarat league is a little better than the Essendon league yet you the BFL 2 tiers below??? id have Bendigo and Ballarat 1 tier below GV and O&M
Kyneton is about the only decent team in the Bendigo League.And Gisborne the worst.

Luppo is one lose cannon, as tough as they come though. If you ever wanted to find a example of fair dinkum tough nut country footballer you could look no further than Luppo. On Trebilcock (Salty) he preety much got into it all because he had blokes like Chooka, the Powers and Tarksons behind him, his just a little money hungry **** :D .
On Oak Park, the side has been very succesfull but i just would be keen to see actually how much local players they have brought through there system???. I know that they had 4 or so Sunbury guys running around and i know that it has taken Sunbury Years just to get 1 back being Matty Payne (Silky) but dont you guys still have a few others. There are Rumors every year that those Sunbury guys are coming back, There was even talk of Darrin Tarkson from Abers coming back , i know that he was training with Sunbury for a while.
Tarko is another thug and i think Sunbury have enough Loose cannons at the moment haha.

cheers
I've known Dean Lupson half his life.I realise he has a quick temper.
But
You have to admit he's the best Footballer Sunbury produced.

Teams that have moved on from the League to other Leagues in recent years.

Sunbury (Ballarat)
Melton (Ballarat)
Gisborne (Bendigo)
Craigeburn (Essendon)
Melton South (Ballarat)
Wallan (Diamond Valley)
Darley (Ballarat)

The Ballarat and Bendigo sides being the bigger clubs and big spenders of that crop.
Whats your thoughts on that Phil and Mobbs??

cheers
The only Shytehouse club there is Gisborne,a bunch of Duds if i ever saw a bunch of duds.

Originally posted by Bombers 2003
The only Shytehouse club there is Gisborne,a bunch of Duds if i ever saw a bunch of duds.

Second Semi Final 2003 - Gisborne 18.9.117 d Eaglehawk 13.17.95

Not bad for a bunch of "duds"!

Originally posted by timelord
Second Semi Final 2003 - Gisborne 18.9.117 d Eaglehawk 13.17.95

Not bad for a bunch of "duds"!
So that just means that Eaglehawk arnt that good,after all it's only 22 points.

Umm, when I last looked - Gisborne won the 2002 flag, and are in the grand final again in 2003.

Duds, on top of the BFL ladder? So what does that make the rest of the comp - super duds? Give me a break!

Remove this Banner Ad

Rate / Rank The Leagues - Yes its the unwinnable argument!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back