Rate / Rank The Leagues - Yes its the unwinnable argument!

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: top 10 leagues outside AFL in Victoria

Surely the GFL is the strongest league in country vic. VCFL squad and final team contained more GFL players than any other league and that was when other leagues didn't want them in because they didn't want to play interleague. Colbert didn't care becuase he know without the GFL players the VCFL would have got pumped by ACT. Come and watch a GFL game. Ask VFL footballers playing at Geelong who get dropped to GFL club to play. Can't get a kick. South Barwon would be the best country team by 5 or 6 goals PLUS.
Yes the GFL is a strong comp, but not upto the O&M and GVFL. They are the 2 strongest comps. The comment about South Barwon is very interesting. What makes you think they are best country team? Who are the better players at this team?

ok lads this is a great thread. There seems to be alot of different opinion about the DV. Have never played it but hat played in the ammos and BFL. to me i believe the DV is a different style than most of the other leagues in victoria the best state in australia. Its harder, promotes toughness within itself whereas other leagues are abit cleaner so its closer to the VFL of the 70's than any leagues that exist today.

Yes the GFL is a strong comp, but not upto the O&M and GVFL. They are the 2 strongest comps. The comment about South Barwon is very interesting. What makes you think they are best country team? Who are the better players at this team?
South Barwon for the past 2 years could have feilded 8-10 in the VCFL team and there wouldnt hve been any complaints. Knuckey, 2 Rau's, Biddescombe, Wells, Amos, Sherman at least have all played vfl level. But in saying that st.joeys, st.mary, bell park, colac, newtown and leopold have all attracted the best country vic players to play in the league. The standard of football is considerably higher than any other in victoria or interstate i'd say. Ballarat league is terrible really compared to the 80s and they should have beatin o&m in Gf interleague. If geelong played last year they win by 6 + over short game. GVFL is not even close. Sorry.. In only a couple of years ago when GFL put in fair dinkum interleague side up in shepp and they smashed GVFL by 8 goals in 40 minutes.. In the wet. Get down and have a look at GFL footy..

South Barwon for the past 2 years could have feilded 8-10 in the VCFL team and there wouldnt hve been any complaints. Knuckey, 2 Rau's, Biddescombe, Wells, Amos, Sherman at least have all played vfl level. But in saying that st.joeys, st.mary, bell park, colac, newtown and leopold have all attracted the best country vic players to play in the league. The standard of football is considerably higher than any other in victoria or interstate i'd say. Ballarat league is terrible really compared to the 80s and they should have beatin o&m in Gf interleague. If geelong played last year they win by 6 + over short game. GVFL is not even close. Sorry.. In only a couple of years ago when GFL put in fair dinkum interleague side up in shepp and they smashed GVFL by 8 goals in 40 minutes.. In the wet. Get down and have a look at GFL footy..

I have and I agree with 95% of what you are saying... The difference I noticed when I watched a game down there was the skill level and hardness from your mid to lower level players. The elite are trully elite but the rest really didnt show me anything special... Admittedly I only watched one game, but I didnt really see anything that i havent seen before. There are positives and negatives for all comps.

In only a couple of years ago when GFL put in fair dinkum interleague side up in shepp and they smashed GVFL by 8 goals in 40 minutes.. In the wet. Get down and have a look at GFL footy..
Mate dont read too much into the interleague games as usually they are made up of the blokes that really want to play. Not so much the better players. Most of the guns couldnt give a s..t about rep footy. Dont get me wrong GFL is very strong, but dont think there is a huge difference between GVFL/OM and GFL.

the GV is the best league by a huge amount, and seymore would beat anyother team in country victoria

The WGLFL as a whole would not be near as strong as GV, O&M etc , but anyone who saw Maffra or Sale play this year ( or Maffra for the past few years) would have to agree they are two of the strongest clubs going around.

the GV is the best league by a huge amount, and seymore would beat anyother team in country victoria

There would have to be minimal difference between the top few.

Some goose had a go at me about putting the Ballarat league ahead of the Diamond Valley in an earlier post.

Redan had an awesome side and most of them were Nth Ballarat VFL players. Spoken to many people who agree, but there is always one fool who has no idea.

Facts are that the Diamond Valley F.C is way behind what they use to be.
People who play in the Comp say it, Presidents say it, playing lists show it and I saw the Grand Final skill level.
Even the Premiers want to leave it.

Diamond Valley 2000 would beat Diamond Valley 2006 by 25 goals.
Meaning it has gone down the ladder.
The GVFL has had a lot to do with this. The quality of players aren't not what they use to be.
They don't have as many Ex AFL/ VFL players like E.F.L, G.V.F.L, ) & M, E.D.F.L and Geelong has quality players.

joshooaa do u rate, wilfred carter, anthony bence, gary jones if u seen em play ?

I have played with Anthony Bence and he is an amazing player. I have never seen anyone ( AFL included) leap as high as he can off a single bound. He is built like a greyhound, is very quick and takes hangers every week.

A Grade Essendon District is ahead of.

DVFL - DIV 1 & 2
A Grade Ammos.

That is for sure!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A question that nobody has posed or answered is what do we all define as a good league.

For mine, a good league is one that is played at a high standard and is very even between the top 2 and those 2nd/3rd from the bottom.

This definition would preclude the EFL, DVFL, EDFL, GVFL etc as the gap between even 4th and 6th in these comps is often a minimum of 20 goals.

How can such a lopsided comp be a good one when you only have to turn up less than half the time knowing that you are in for a good contest?

I remember when Galatasaray (Turkey) won the UEFA champions league. Just because they have the best team, did not make everybody believe that the Turkish league was the best in Europe.

I think for a high standard and the eveness of the comp, you can't look any further than A Section VAFA, this is despite many players leaving.

I remember when Galatasaray (Turkey) won the UEFA champions league. Just because they have the best team, did not make everybody believe that the Turkish league was the best in Europe.
Galatasaray won the UEFA Cup not the Champions League. You do raise a good question on how people compare the leagues though.

This year in the GVFL 8 teams were still in the hunt for a finals berth up until about the last couple of weeks. Even a team like Euroa missed out on a finals place which is a fair indication of the overall strength of the league. Tatura who finished bottom even managed to knock off Mooroopna who were on top of the ladder for a fair while.

A question that nobody has posed or answered is what do we all define as a good league.

For mine, a good league is one that is played at a high standard and is very even between the top 2 and those 2nd/3rd from the bottom.

This definition would preclude the EFL, DVFL, EDFL, GVFL etc as the gap between even 4th and 6th in these comps is often a minimum of 20 goals.

How can such a lopsided comp be a good one when you only have to turn up less than half the time knowing that you are in for a good contest?

I think for a high standard and the eveness of the comp, you can't look any further than A Section VAFA, this is despite many players leaving.

You make a great point and by the sounds of things the GVFL ticks all boxes.

Don't know about country boys but in metro i would say:

A grade Ammos
EFL
DVFL
EDFL
WRFL

It's all different footy though. A great league shouldnt be judged by there best team or players but by the standard of all of the teams and depth of players. Also by how th league treats its clubs and players.

Ammos are bigger fields and cleaner footy. DVFL is a lot wetter and has really just turned into a mug league. Thats probably why most of the good players are leaving. Do something wrong in Ammos or Eastern and you are punished, do something wrong in DVFL and you get a pat on the back. It all comes back to who is running the league and what leadership examples are being portrayed to the clubs.

The best leagues in general are the ones that everyone is leaving to play in. Thats why i would rate Ammos and EFL as my top 2 in the metro area.

Don't know about country boys but in metro i would say:

A grade Ammos
EFL
DVFL
EDFL
WRFL

It's all different footy though. A great league shouldnt be judged by there best team or players but by the standard of all of the teams and depth of players. Also by how th league treats its clubs and players.

Ammos are bigger fields and cleaner footy. DVFL is a lot wetter and has really just turned into a mug league. Thats probably why most of the good players are leaving. Do something wrong in Ammos or Eastern and you are punished, do something wrong in DVFL and you get a pat on the back. It all comes back to who is running the league and what leadership examples are being portrayed to the clubs.

The best leagues in general are the ones that everyone is leaving to play in. Thats why i would rate Ammos and EFL as my top 2 in the metro area.

The DVFL is nowhere near as bad as what it used to be. It is the biggest myth in Metro footy. It is very physical, but far from dirty.

keeping the VFL out of the question my top 10 would be
1.goulburn valley
2. ovens and murrey
3. eastern football league
4.a grade ammos
5.geelong football league
6.essendon district
7.diamond valley
8.mpnfl
9.ballerat
10.west gippy

keeping the VFL out of the question my top 10 would be
1.goulburn valley
2. ovens and murrey
3. eastern football league
4.a grade ammos
5.geelong football league
6.essendon district
7.diamond valley
8.mpnfl
9.ballerat
10.west gippy

Why the GV over O&M. There seems to have been a changing of the guard back to the O&M. Championship winners, deeper playing standard!!!!

good point the top 4 are lotteries got a couple of mates living up there and they prefer the gv slightly though both are great i wouldnt go by the championships entirely i dont beleive pool A has the best teams

I believe the Ballarat league is being left by the wayside..now im not saying its the best but its been highly overlooked. Ive played in both GVL and the BFL and there is not a whole lot of a difference. Yes GV is stronger on a whole but Ballarats top two sides (redan- east point) would match it with any team in the GV and also victoria. quality outfits .lets try squeeze the BFL down in a number 9 or 10 position...not forgetting the BFL beat the GV in this years carnival..

Remove this Banner Ad

Rate / Rank The Leagues - Yes its the unwinnable argument!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back