Razor Ray retires

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the few competent umpires in the game

He never seemed influenced by the crowd or AFL demands, only his ego. Which these days is probably better for the game.

I saw him on a podcast a month or 2 ago and he was swearing away like a trucker. I assumed he had already retired, given players and coaches get in trouble for such things.

He was a pretty good umpire.

I remember a game where a player was going off his chops at Ray and he says - “ Im glad you’re not talking about me with that language?! ”

Diffused the situation. No 50m paid 👏

Yeah that's why I always liked seeing him umpire our games. You knew he'd just make the call as he saw it without worrying about pressure from a home crowd.
Not afraid to make the hard calls in the dying seconds even if that makes him unpopular with some fans. There have been far too many non decisions this year on obvious frees

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are many "gutless" umpires who refuse to make the hard decisions and apply the laws of the game. You could never accuse Ray Chamberlain of doing this. He always called it as he saw it, irrespective of what anyone thought of him

That's the charitable way of looking at it, anyway

Wether you like him or not the game loses another character and is worse off for it.
Didnt know he was giving it away when I saw him out there Saturday night in the Showdown but glad I got to see him do his thing one more time.

Good on ya Razor, thanks for your contribution to the game.

Service?

He was being paid, wasn't he?
What the heck does this mean?

Most people get paid for providing a service...that's how the economy generally operates. Many bosses and companies celebrate the longevity of their employees in a workplace, including AFL players, coaches, administrators, and...umpires.

I hope you are not an employer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Razor Ray retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Back