Razor Ray retires

Remove this Banner Ad

What the heck does this mean?

Most people get paid for providing a service...that's how the economy generally operates. Many bosses and companies celebrate the longevity of their employees in a workplace, including AFL players, coaches, administrators, and...umpires.

I hope you are not an employer.

Thanking someone for their service suggests that they've made some sort of sacrifice.

Getting paid over $100k for a part-time job that allows you to live your dream - doesn't seem like he has sacrificed much.

My boss once gave a speech and did a presentation in the office to thank me for 5 years of service - I actually said in my speech that they'd been paying me for the past 5 years, so what are you thanking me for? It made no sense to me.

The Tony Liberatore of umpires, sans squirrel grips. Unpopular, but very very effective. He like Tony enjoyed the shrill reactions.

I didn't realise he had set up the Chamberlain Foundation.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20240824_064626_Facebook.jpg
    SmartSelect_20240824_064626_Facebook.jpg
    323.1 KB · Views: 12
Well done on a great career.

As others have said, he was never afraid to make a correct call no matter the location on the ground or the time of the game. You can't ask for much more than that.

Enjoy your retirement and hope you have a long life.

Well done on a great career.

As others have said, he was never afraid to make a correct call no matter the location on the ground or the time of the game. You can't ask for much more than that.

Enjoy your retirement and hope you have a long life.
It always felt like a fine line early in his career whether he was brave to "make the correct call no matter the location on the ground or the time of the game" - or whether he just liked to insert himself him into big moments regardless of whether it was the correct call or not.

That's what people struggled with with him.

However later in his career, it seemed like he was just a genuinely good umpire.

Thanking someone for their service suggests that they've made some sort of sacrifice.

Getting paid over $100k for a part-time job that allows you to live your dream - doesn't seem like he has sacrificed much.

My boss once gave a speech and did a presentation in the office to thank me for 5 years of service - I actually said in my speech that they'd been paying me for the past 5 years, so what are you thanking me for? It made no sense to me.
Kara Danvers Superman GIF by Adult Swim

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I found it embarassing, and a bit weird that I was being thanked for something that I'd already been fairly compensated financially for.

What service?

They paid me well, I did my job, then went home.

There's no need to thank me for sticking around for 5 years.

It's not like I'd been plugging away in a Call Centre or at a checkout or factory or something and being exploited by my boss, or sacrificing my well being to protect the community or anything!

FFS.

Save the 'thank you for your service' plaudits for police, nurses and teachers etc. Umpires are hardly providing a service.

Footnote, one of my staff actually used the same line when I presented her her gift for her 10 year anniversary a few years later.

he was never afraid to make a correct call
Not so much the "correct call", but was not afraid to call it as he saw it. Heard a couple of ex-players say the best thing about Razor was that he always explained why he made a call if asked, even if the players disagreed with the call.

Remove this Banner Ad

Razor Ray retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Back