Remove this Banner Ad

magpiemaniac44

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
San Antonio, Melbourne Stars
North haven't hosted us since bringing back the mostly white home jumper, not sure what to expect Sunday.

God forbid they're in blue shorts and we're in white, would be eerily similar to the 2019 qualifying final

North home with blue shorts, Collingwood home with white shorts.
Take it to the bank

Port in home with white shorts today v GWS is not as good as it could be
Port should be in full white, like when Collingwood play at GWS. Similar to how much better Freo looked in full white rather than home and white shorts

Surely they are going to change shorts before the opening bounce.

Who does North have photos of???? AFL cannot continue t let them wear Royal shorts in match ups like this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah this North v Collingwood game has given me a bit of a mindset shift. Previously I've thought "why isn't the AFL putting North in white shorts in games like this?" when the question should be " why can't North's opponents be put in their dark shorts as well?". Granted, there's some other things that exacerbate the poor contrast like both teams having stripes and Collingwood's white stripes being so thick, but regardless of that we saw two teams that both looked halfway between light and dark and the wide shots on TV looked terrible. For how vibrant the shade of blue that North use it, teams who typically wear black shorts should be wearing their black shorts instead given the jumpers will contrast just fine.

How is this sort of matchup still happening in a 'professional-run' sporting league.

Collingwood vs Geelong have a contrast solution. Geelong vs North Melbourne have a contrast solution. But when it comes to Collingwood vs North they just turn their brains off.

White shorts away should only be worn on proviso that they do not make the contrast worse.

Last edited:
Yeah this North v Collingwood game has given me a bit of a mindset shift. Previously I've thought "why isn't the AFL putting North in white shorts in games like this?" when the question should be " why can't North's opponents be put in their dark shorts as well?". Granted, there's some other things that exacerbate the poor contrast like both teams having stripes and Collingwood's white stripes being so thick, but regardless of that we saw two teams that both looked halfway between light and dark and the wide shots on TV looked terrible. For how vibrant the shade of blue that North use it, teams who typically wear black shorts should be wearing their black shorts instead given the jumpers will contrast just fine.

Yeah, it was stupid today, but I personally think that royal blue should be treated the same as red for shorts, where other coloured shorts are permitted

Which is what I have said about Geelong for years, have both teams in home shorts for:

Adelaide
Essendon
Hawthorn
Fremantle
Richmond

And of course Sydney, Brisbane and Gold Coast.

Could also do it for West Coast and Bulldogs but lets not get greedy.

Every other game the Cats wear all white.

For every other game

Carlton (Too Much Navy)
Collingwood (See 2019 QF)
GWS (Maybe, but play it safe with white on front)
Melbourne (See Carlton)
North (See Colingwood)
Port (White number panel on the bank)
St Kilda (White Panel on Front)

Sadly reckon this will be the case. I don't think North have budged at all since they went on their blue shorts bonanza. Will be an ugly match-up.
Not true, we wore white shorts when we hosted the Bulldogs last year:

Seems like the AFL have decided that there just isn't a clash, which is ridiculous. We should've worn white shorts obviously. Not just because it's more watchable but because we were celebrating the 1999 Grand Final in which we wore white shorts.

Not true, we wore white shorts when we hosted the Bulldogs last year:

Seems like the AFL have decided that there just isn't a clash, which is ridiculous. We should've worn white shorts obviously. Not just because it's more watchable but because we were celebrating the 1999 Grand Final in which we wore white shorts.

unrelated but why were they celebrating the 99 flag against us?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back