Autopsy RD 22 - Exposed by the Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

At what stage do we deploy these resources.

I've made the case before that the recruitment side of the club should (if they don't already) have full access to these resources and expanded resources if it comes to this. The capacity, or at least indicators, of who will fold and who will stand up psychologically before they get onto the list seems like a must do to me (it's likely it's being done to some degree already but perhaps not enough or well enough).

And then there are the environmental factors of the club itself. There's a bit of nature and nurture in this to meet an objective, the objective being to make and win as many finals as possible as often as possible.
We need to find some leaders that just won't have that sort of performance. I don't know how you fo about finding it but that attitude that Selwood brought to the Cats.
The unrelenting ruthlessness to never give up and drive to bring others along for the ride. At this point would give up some skill to get that attitude in the door

I’ve often thought the same.

Are hit-outs everything? No, but being second to the ball nearly every time and trying to get it back must flatten the midfield group at times. Also, it’s not sustainable.

We do need a plan b. Short term, I’d start with Darcy spending a lot more time in the ruck over the first half and then let Timmy go to work around the ground from there.

Going forward, we need to find another senior ruck option to add to the list.
Then we really need to pull our potential offer of 7 years and 7 million to Timmy.
That's a decent amount of salary cap money you throw at The Bont.
Timmy is just too Timid to be a 1st choice ruck, and U don't throw 7 years and 7 Mil at a back up ruck.

I think it would be a big mistake to overreact to the past weekend’s result.

We were a little bit off the boil this week coming off a sensational month. The opposition was stronger than their ladder position might indicate, they played well on their home ground with all their inherent interstate advantages, and some of our team's weaknesses were exposed.

However, we now have an opportunity to address those weaknesses, having available several mature players with substantial senior AFL experience, and who are currently playing well at VFL level.

Honestly I think English is beaten before he even plays the game some weeks. Opposition teams know he is soft and not a physical presence.

He is a big man but some of the efforts to tackle were almost like he didn't even want to tackle let alone hurt the opposition.

We should hope he decides to go, load up on early draft picks and throw a bone to an aggressive crash and bash ruckman.

You cannot be serious - Macrae has been slower than treacle for 3 years.

Keep Garcia. At least he wants to hurt people.

I think the context of retaining Macrae was that the likes of Libba and Treloar are one major injury away from retirement. Having someone like Macrae as a depth player would be a great asset over the next couple of years. Of course I don't think any of us would hold it against him if he requests a trade to a club where he would be getting regular midfield time.

I think it would be a big mistake to overreact to the past weekend’s result.

Agree here, wouldn’t go throwing the toys out of the cot on the basis of 1 bad game from 4 good games. Making wholesale changes either is not the answer. Just a few tweaks

Matthew Ling has suggested our mids play high octane footy when we win - finals level footy - and that it’s utterly unsustainable for a full season. He said the reason we drop the “easy games” is because our mids mentally drop 5 percent as they anticipate (knowingly or not) an easier week and then we get found out by teams that sense it and go for the kill. It makes plenty of sense when you look at our last few years which is why I think we need to focus on the psychology of prepping for down/easy games leading in. Ling said it better than I have 5 weeks ago explaining our inconsistent form.
Oh my Dog! We lose and Ling could be right. Could the week get any worse.

You cannot be serious - Macrae has been slower than treacle for 3 years.

And Libba is quick? I said we must keep macrae due to libbas age. Macrae is a smart footballer only a dumb team would get rid of him for a token pick. When did I say not to keep Garcia? Read the comment I replied too before you reply with a stupid comment. Wtf dies hurting ppl have to do with winning games?

Honestly I think English is beaten before he even plays the game some weeks. Opposition teams know he is soft and not a physical presence.

He is a big man but some of the efforts to tackle were almost like he didn't even want to tackle let alone hurt the opposition.

We should hope he decides to go, load up on early draft picks and throw a bone to an aggressive crash and bash ruckman.

Our team is pretty light on for physical presence relative to other AFL clubs, why is Tim the bloke who cops all the blame when we get monstered physically?

He arguably personifies our team. For a Ruckman, he is super mobile, skillful, etcetera. When we play the game on our terms, he is a key contributor.

When the umpires are lax in enforcing the rules and allow his opponents to hold and wrestle him at ruck contests, his comparative lack of size and strength often puts him at a bit of disadvantage, but you can't have everything.

When they actually enforce the rules, he typically breaks even in the ruck and beats his opponent in terms of around the ground contributions.

Then we really need to pull our potential offer of 7 years and 7 million to Timmy.
Timmy is just too Timid to be a 1st choice ruck, and U don't throw 7 years and 7 Mil at a back up ruck.
I tend to agree, although, English often does a Bevo, i.e. turns around form pretty quickly.

I’ve never really warmed to him as a No. 1 ruck, but concede he’d be more effective in other roles.

He should be our Blicavs.

It’s not 1973, no-one can hurt anyone. I don’t get the love for Garcia just because he looks like he tries hard.

Garcia’s kicking is nowhere near AFL standard. Not his decision making, his actual kicking skills are not up to it. Decision making can improve with experience, I’m not sure he will ever be a good kick

It's strange. Most ruckmen are poor footballers, but get games because they can ruck well. Tim is the opposite. Very good skills, but not that good at what he's in the team for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going in circles now - mental fragility in “easier” games. The ones that we should always logically win but we never turn upto because ……. Bulldogs.

Bring in the psychologists before the Norf game.

Never turn up is a stretch.

GC by 48
WC by 76
Saints by 80
Tigers by 91

Those expected wins are just from this year.

It's strange. Most ruckmen are poor footballers, but get games because they can ruck well. Tim is the opposite. Very good skills, but not that good at what he's in the team for.
It could be argued that he is indeed good at what he is in the team for, it’s just that aligned with the Bulldog game philosophy that purpose is different to what people think it is, or should be.

Wow Tim English with 15 Hit-Outs for the game that is shocking but hey he had a sexy 16 disposals and kicked a goal.
59 hit-out to 22.

I did not see this game but that is damming....

Said it before and I'll say it again, but we won't win a flag with Tim as our number 1 ruck.

Just saw the news. Appears he's injured and will be out this week.

On SM-A505YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy RD 22 - Exposed by the Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Back