Review Rd 22 Review - Freo Order Well Cooked Chook

Remove this Banner Ad

Pleasing win. Ideally should have been a lot more, but will take it :)
Jackson is so exciting.
Great to see Sturt playing well.....wasnt really sold on him before but can see a quality in him now that he is stringing games together.
Schultz was awesome.
Young into the middle needs to be a permanent move.
Amiss should be well up in the middle of the rising star chats.
Hope we can win the next 2 and end the season on a roll

I will take the win. I'm not bragging about it.

That was like a prime Mike Tyson bashing a dead body.

I sort of wished we kept them to 3 goals or less.

Amiss, Schulz and Sam Sturt kicked 4 goals each.

Also, I apologize for putting $40 on west coast at $5 King Tenz , I actually thought the eagles were gonna go hard and take us on
You're a joke.

Eagles bigfooty by far the most fairweather I reckon. Every other fan base has the character to at least melt at a time like this. They're all checked out already. They should head over to the Carlton board archives to learn how to support a terrible team.

Given the number of Budgie supporting mates I had come out of the woodwork and going full crow over the past 2-3 days, I'm going to milk this one for all it's worth.

Have we had a disappointing season? For sure. But the fact they could barely manage four goals against us with a full strength side definitely balances it out somewhat.:tearsofjoy:
You can't blame them for being up and about after the last two weeks. Beating a team on a 20 game losing streak, at home, by less than a goal and then almost beating a team that nearly lost to both in consecutive weeks is hard form to ignore.

Their cue has been in the rack for a long time.

Their list is putrid.

Their lack of organisation (team sheets) is telling.

Premiership players checked out, mentally and physically.

Have you heard (often and loudly) they have a long injury list? Lots of early retirements/operations etc there.

We (sadly) aren't a top 8/4 side.

Still, we won by 101, so we should have done against a rabble.

I am happy to pursue the younger players getting a game into next year, good players under 22 playing together.

Tabs should be depth now, along with Colyer, Wilson and Hamling. Still unsure what Corbett was intended for.

What to do with Nat? Could be the professional sub.

A lot to like and great to just sit back on a Saturday night and enjoy a good old fashioned shellacking of the Budgies.

Great to see Shultz back in form. I was very hard on him for a few weeks but as I said at the time. At his best he handles the ball cleanly and takes his chances, when he's off he fumbles and with the pace of the game these days you simply can't fumble or double handle the ball, especially as a small forward with the micro seconds you get against the modern defensive setups. Tonight he handled the ball as clean as I've seen and his kicking was clinical. The one he roved off Jackson and dropped on the non-preferred in one movement was as good a crumbing, rovers goal as you'll see and the set shot he kicked from only just inside 50 sailed through easily. I don't think I've seen him kick the ball that far and he made it look easy. If only Switta could find some of his best too.

I'm a bit on the fence about Johnson & Erasmus though. MJ seems to have regressed a bit in terms of the cool head and good decision making he showed early in the piece. Some of his kicking was terrible.
Erasmus is good inside and has some qualities but there is way too much chook without a head about him when he's got time and space. I couldn't believe it when he passed that ball off when he was about 20M out. Screamed someone afraid to take the kick.
They both just look a level below what Brayshaw, Serong, Cerra and Young were putting out at the same stage. Cerra wasn't dominating but he never looked anything but composed and clean with his skills.
Still, plenty of time for both and they haven't had anything like the level of exposure to the level the above named players had had at this stage of their careers as we've had the luxury of building them in the WAFL. They both know how to find the ball and it takes longer for some players to feel at home out there. Henry is a prime example.
I don't think he was scared to take the kick but I thought that Walters (who was right there) should have told him to own kicking the goal.

For Erasmus, one of the whole "we will hold you back until you are ready" thing is that for both the player themself and the coaches it becomes difficult to assess when do you stop that development phase and then treat them like a "real AFL player"? Also they have tried to beeline him straight to playing centre midfield; it is probably his end position, but he is actually an accurate set shot on goal, he also has strong endurance so can fit other positions like half forward and wing, but it feels like they keep saying "no, that is not the end goal". As a consequence, it is really hard to get a read on where he is at, but you only need to look back at the Brayshaw thread to remember that he was also a "headless chook" at the start whose kicking was not fit for consumption, so it happens to young players.

I honestly think that people claiming Johnson as the next Mundy was a recipe for supporter disappointment, because he has a very long journey to be a Mundy above the shoulders. His composure at junior level was always flipping with the direction the wind was going; if the team was on top then he would be composed, if they were losing then it had the habit of disappearing. For mine however I think he is ahead of where I expected him to be; he has played some good games as a midfielder in his second year; whereas I expected he would play more half forward flank before moving in there.

So…who were they missing who will be ther next year who could possibly make things better?
ginbey?

kelly, Darling and McGovern aren’t getting better next year.

Harley Reid is walking into a dire situation. He’s going to have to be Judd without Cousins, Kerr and Cox as support.

So…who were they missing who will be ther next year who could possibly make things better?
ginbey?

kelly, Darling and McGovern aren’t getting better next year.

Harley Reid is walking into a dire situation. He’s going to have to be Judd without Cousins, Kerr and Cox as support.
They will nail the draft and get the boys wanting to come home.
Unfortunately it will hamper us, but long term will be repaid by
Walls.
2027 both clubs will be competing in finals, and derby’s will again be
hard fought and bragging rights.

I was at the game

My observations

Positives Sturt is as good as Amiss at kicking goals. Both have elite accuracy.

Jackson imo was best on ground. Shultz second. Both destroyed the opposition

Erasmus wasn't a positive or a negative. He needs to improve his disposal I'm just not sure if he will. Fingers crossed as we need him to.

Johnson looks like he belongs

Worner has taken the next step in his footy career

Negatives

Just one

Corbett is shit. He was lazy. At the ground I noticed no second effort. All other players looked fitter than him.

I'd drop Corbett for Erasmus and have Banners or Brodie as sub

Wagner has been a great find this season. Always a place for a guy who can kick the footy well. He reminds me a bit of Caleb Daniel at times and Adam Saad at other times.

I was one that was off him when he was dropped too. I disagree that he’s a good kick, multiple floaters last night, but he’s been pretty solid in his 2nd stint for us.

If he takes the simple options and uses his run, he could be a handy player for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sturt tbh looks a better set shot than amiss. More penetration in his kick. Forwardline looks lik

Johnson's kicking has been a massive let down. He's completely opposite to advertised. Was meant to be one of the best kicks in the draft with questions over his contested ball ability. So far he's been a beast in the contest but completely underwhelming kicking.

So many positives.
  • Sturts best game. Defensive efforts are real solid, but great to see him hit the scoreboard. His goal kicking has been real flush too.
  • Amiss kicking a small bag after a few weeks of 1s. Good for confidence. Some of his leading left Gov absolutely dead.
  • Jackson form continuing. Could see him polling real well in the brownlow one day
  • young another solid game in the middle
  • Shultz Brayshaw and serong love playing in derby’s. Always up and about.
  • Henry’s form continued. Need to re-sign him.
  • another game into Johnson and Raz. Both have to work on disposal, but gaining exp
  • Clark’s best game of the year, in a bit of a down year. That’s the Clark we loved last season

Couple negatives to me
  • we hand balled to young’s feet running past like 4/5 times. Was weird. He’d have been absolutely gone a few of this times. When we nail those, he generally hits a good target.
  • Treacy was a bit of a negative. Concrete hands all night & should have been a game where he could have put a stamp on it.
  • conceding that last goal, wanted that lowest derby score all time ahah.
  • Corbett. Just nah. Bring in Tabs

I was at the game

My observations

Positives Sturt is as good as Amiss at kicking goals. Both have elite accuracy.

Jackson imo was best on ground. Shultz second. Both destroyed the opposition

Erasmus wasn't a positive or a negative. He needs to improve his disposal I'm just not sure if he will. Fingers crossed as we need him to.

Johnson looks like he belongs

Worner has taken the next step in his footy career

Negatives

Just one

Corbett is s**t. He was lazy. At the ground I noticed no second effort. All other players looked fitter than him.

I'd drop Corbett for Erasmus and have Banners or Brodie as sub
Corbett looks really slow

Sounds like Hough was a very late out for the Bin Chickens last night because he'd OD'd on his Ventolin inhaler in the lead-up to the game, and would have failed a drug test. 👀

What an absolute basket case of a club.

I don’t see any issue with this, if he’s needing the ventolin for his asthma attack, take it. Look after your health.

They did the right thing not letting him
play.

We (sadly) aren't a top 8/4 side.
We could easily be. There is so little difference between us & everyone between us & the top. It’s as even as it’s ever been & it comes down to having enough players in the sweet spot of age & experience & everything else is between the ears.
Look at what happened with Collingwood & Carlton recently. Carlton with exactly the same players went from bottom 4 rubbish to the best team in the competition in 1 quarter.
Collingwood forgot how to kick goals & in 10 minutes went from unbeatable to completely vulnerable.
We have easily enough talent. Need more games & toughening up into our players & to get on a roll psychologically. That’s the whole gig now.

Man, they're in some sort of hole aren't they.

View attachment 1772626
I’ve kind of swallowed the WC line that “everything is fine, we know what we are doing” but I’ve honestly never seen a list so empty of talent. They have drafted horrifically before last year and they are basically starting from behind scratch as they weed out old injured folk first.

So many positives.
  • Sturts best game. Defensive efforts are real solid, but great to see him hit the scoreboard. His goal kicking has been real flush too.
  • Amiss kicking a small bag after a few weeks of 1s. Good for confidence. Some of his leading left Gov absolutely dead.
  • Jackson form continuing. Could see him polling real well in the brownlow one day
  • young another solid game in the middle
  • Shultz Brayshaw and serong love playing in derby’s. Always up and about.
  • Henry’s form continued. Need to re-sign him.
  • another game into Johnson and Raz. Both have to work on disposal, but gaining exp
  • Clark’s best game of the year, in a bit of a down year. That’s the Clark we loved last season

Couple negatives to me
  • we hand balled to young’s feet running past like 4/5 times. Was weird. He’d have been absolutely gone a few of this times. When we nail those, he generally hits a good target.
  • Treacy was a bit of a negative. Concrete hands all night & should have been a game where he could have put a stamp on it.
  • conceding that last goal, wanted that lowest derby score all time ahah.
  • Corbett. Just nah. Bring in banfield!
Fixed for you

I don't think he was scared to take the kick but I thought that Walters (who was right there) should have told him to own kicking the goal.

For Erasmus, one of the whole "we will hold you back until you are ready" thing is that for both the player themself and the coaches it becomes difficult to assess when do you stop that development phase and then treat them like a "real AFL player"? Also they have tried to beeline him straight to playing centre midfield; it is probably his end position, but he is actually an accurate set shot on goal, he also has strong endurance so can fit other positions like half forward and wing, but it feels like they keep saying "no, that is not the end goal". As a consequence, it is really hard to get a read on where he is at, but you only need to look back at the Brayshaw thread to remember that he was also a "headless chook" at the start whose kicking was not fit for consumption, so it happens to young players.

I honestly think that people claiming Johnson as the next Mundy was a recipe for supporter disappointment, because he has a very long journey to be a Mundy above the shoulders. His composure at junior level was always flipping with the direction the wind was going; if the team was on top then he would be composed, if they were losing then it had the habit of disappearing. For mine however I think he is ahead of where I expected him to be; he has played some good games as a midfielder in his second year; whereas I expected he would play more half forward flank before moving in there.
Excellent point about Brayshaw/Erasmus. I did actually think of the same thing later after I’d posted.
Didn’t know about Johnson’s mental vulnerabilities either. Explains his tantrums & reports already in a short career. Probably why he slid. Hopefully he can get that side of his game sorted.

We could easily be. There is so little difference between us & everyone between us & the top. It’s as even as it’s ever been & it comes down to having enough players in the sweet spot of age & experience & everything else is between the ears.
Look at what happened with Collingwood & Carlton recently. Carlton with exactly the same players went from bottom 4 rubbish to the best team in the competition in 1 quarter.
Collingwood forgot how to kick goals & in 10 minutes went from unbeatable to completely vulnerable.
We have easily enough talent. Need more games & toughening up into our players & to get on a roll psychologically. That’s the whole gig now.
Yeah I find myself a lot more optimistic about the whole list since they moved Young into the midfield. I had doubts the rebuilt midfield would be good enough, but with that one move the mix now looks good enough to contend, as they grow together! That, and Sturt looking legit makes the forward line a lot more dangerous.
Weird, but looking forward to next season more now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Rd 22 Review - Freo Order Well Cooked Chook

Remove this Banner Ad

Back