Preview RD 22 vs Adelaide Crows - Changes for Sunday at AO

Remove this Banner Ad

Neither Coffield or Khamis had their best games but we can expect Bevo will won’t want to change much after a good win.

If he does - we should be ruthless about what we think will make us better - then:

Khamis out for Friejah - who gives us more around the ground. Khamis was OK but needs to give more run. Coffield was rested so assume he is fit but is stronger around the contest and agree with others that a better match for Fogarty.

Sanders for CD - can’t ignore the game Sanders played. Macrae also played out of his skin and was brilliant as the sub a week or so ago with 10 possessions in half a quarter and so would also make us stronger.

Only other I would consider is Baker for Poulter - Poulter played well enough to keep his spot but Baker adds more in attack and AO is a thinner ground and will require a bit more contact. Poulter is better in open spaces.

Chefs surprise! Would love to see Buss debut. Away at Adelaide - in for Khamis maybe.
Poulter was amazing haha. Wow wee

Poulter was amazing haha. Wow wee
Some players just cannot win, even when they play well unfortunately.

He may not be quick, but I reckon he is a better kick than Baker in terms of placing the ball to good positions. His work rate off the ball was quite good on the weekend, and he almost led the team in tackles. He marked at the highest point by making the most of his height, and works hard to get forward and present an option on the opposite side when we are moving fast down the opposite sideline. He has football brains. He isn't an A grader, but he is doing more than the minimum we need from him the past couple of games. Deserves to see the season out.

Some players just cannot win, even when they play well unfortunately.

He may not be quick, but I reckon he is a better kick than Baker in terms of placing the ball to good positions. His work rate off the ball was quite good on the weekend, and he almost led the team in tackles. He marked at the highest point by making the most of his height, and works hard to get forward and present an option on the opposite side when we are moving fast down the opposite sideline. He has football brains. He isn't an A grader, but he is doing more than the minimum we need from him the past couple of games. Deserves to see the season out.

I’m on record as saying I like Poulter, he’s only young and has the ability to improve. He won’t ever be the best player in the team but I like the skill he brings and more games and confidence will help that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Macrae is an interesting conundrum. Does Bevo back in his experience and proven ability to play to a high level in big games? Or does he favour Garcia who has a few very different traits in tenacity, tackling, speed & manic play? I'd say Macrae, Sanders & Garcia are competing for the one role.

I think it’s roughly Garcia, McNeil, Macrae, Sanders, Gallagher and Harmes fighting for two spots at half forward.

Gallagher isn’t quite there yet. McNeil has been solid but not good enough yet to really make a spot his own and his goal kicking under pressure is really poor currently.

I like Harmes in one of those spots because he’s quick enough, versatile, hard at it and could actually jag a goal or two in a final. The other spot probably comes down to Garcia or Sanders for me. I think despite being a bit less polished and more turnover prone, Garcia gets the nod for his defensive intent and experience and being more natural around goals.

That obviously leaves Macrae, who I think is a great sub option for us, and Sanders, who might have to bide his time, unless there’s an injury. He’s solid, but he’s much more of a pure inside mid than a half forward, as I think his 0 goals from 14 games demonstrates.

So, based on this week’s team, that would be Harmes (when fit) and Macrae (sub) in for McNeil and Daniel, with Weightman, West, Vandermeer and Garcia keeping their spots. McNeil unlucky.

Last edited:
Incredible stat.

10 of the previous 12 matches between WB & Adelaide have been WB home games. How on Earth is that possible?

I’ve read a couple of posts by members motivated to weaken our chances of winning this week by suggesting we have never beaten Adelaide at the AO.

Firstly, we have only played them twice at the AO, so Adelaide leading the head to head 2-0 is a small sample size.

Secondly, those two losses occurred in 2017 and 2018 which were arguably our two worst seasons under Bevo. On top of that, Adelaide were a force in 2017 when they beat us there – they went on to win the minor premiership. In 2018, we played them in terrible conditions where we only kicked two goals. Adelaide only managed nine. Based on those two losses occurring in seasons where we weren’t anywhere close to being good, I’d almost call the 2-0 head to head record at AO irrelevant. Those two losses have no bearing on where both teams are currently positioned, the respective list profiles and the respective brands of footy currently being played.

The Crows are in that tricky position of Nicks coaching for his life but losing would be better for the team long term and making sure they don't jump out of that 4th pick. Just some baffling decisions being made by them, like rushing back Matt Crouch to give him midfield time.

I'm just putting this out there, trade us Rankine and I'll forgive them for 97/98.

The Crows are in that tricky position of Nicks coaching for his life but losing would be better for the team long term and making sure they don't jump out of that 4th pick. Just some baffling decisions being made by them, like rushing back Matt Crouch to give him midfield time.

I'm just putting this out there, trade us Rankine and I'll forgive them for 97/98.
Rushing back Crouch to take minutes off Dowling and Curtin, who they made sub. Wild for a bottom 4 team

Unless Poulter puts in a few absolute shockers over the next two weeks, he’s not going anywhere.

Probably the only true winger that we have and sets himself apart from other fringe players with his slick disposal and footy brain. Also has upside as a developing guy who is still filling out a pretty big frame.

Main concern is his speed, especially in that role, but he has the smarts/other attributes to overcome that.

I’m fine with Baker as depth if we have injuries to quick players, but Poulter is light years ahead of him at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Every week makes me nervous given the end to our years of late. This one has had me nervous for a while. A ground where we last played a bad game.

The Crows probably have one of the biggest gaps between their best and worst (along with Carlton & maybe us prior to the last four weeks). Hopefully we start the game like the last four weeks rather than the week prior to that.

In terms of changes, I’m easy. The bottom 6 and the next 3 or 4 are worthy of games. My preference is only one of Coffield/Khamis, which probably means I prefer Friejah. You’d think Daniel plays a full game this week, whether in the 1sts or 2nds. Macrae and Sanders are ready to come in if needed (and Bevo praised Baker, but I’m not sure he’s needed at the moment. Could be a sub option though).

Just realised we are going to wear the away guernsey with the hoops that aren't visible.

Did anyone else see Bevo’s response to the question in his presser about the list being healthy?

I’d say we are in for at least 2 surprise injury outs this week. Made a comment about the team having 40 available one week and 30 the next 🫣.

Did anyone else see Bevo’s response to the question in his presser about the list being healthy?

I’d say we are in for at least 2 surprise injury outs this week. Made a comment about the team having 40 available one week and 30 the next 🫣.

He also said that the team is very likely to be similar to last week, which I took to mean no changes

He also said that the team is very likely to be similar to last week, which I took to mean no changes
Hope you’re right but I’m worried.

As a silver lining, I’m hoping it’s nothing major and a few boys maybe get a bit of a rest in the lead up to finals a la 2016.

View attachment 2069401
I have conducted an in depth technical regression analysis of our last 4 score worms, and the results show me that we have a 100% chance of beating Adelaide. It's just science.
I can see a fair bit of autocorrelation in your model. Can you please note that an R squared close to 1, indicates that your data is no good! :)

You need injury luck to win a flag so hopefully we remain healthy until finals.

If everyone returns as expected this week, it’ll just be Smith & JJ as missing senior players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview RD 22 vs Adelaide Crows - Changes for Sunday at AO

Remove this Banner Ad

Back