RDFL Thread 2008

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe that if the Kangas put their best 22 on the park they'd finish 3-4. What I was trying to say that I'm a little bit sick and tired of supporters/players/officials saying that "once we get our full side, we'll be right".
Footy's a harsh and very physical game. I don't think any side on any given day EVER runs out "full strength". This year, the Roos and Redbacks have been dealt the injury card, next year it may be someone else's turn. It is a legitimate reason for not living up to your potential, but wingeing about it won't make the players fit.
On Saturday, Riddell were missing Climas and Petran, in my opinion, two of their best seven players. Woodend-Hesket was without Lacy and Forrest - their two main talls with Stacey still underdone. Romsey was without Burlak, Clint Wheatley, Dawson, Sullivan. Wallan has been missing coach through illness and so for forth.
We all know the Roos and other sides aren't playing their best footy at the moment because of injuries, but you just have to make do with what you have got and ask the middle-tier players to find that little bit extra to get you over the line. You did that on Saturday (with Cuffe kicking five) and just need to do so in the next few weeks. You won't beat Riddell and Woodend-Hesket without your best side in, but there's no reason why you can't beat everyone else.

fantastic post matt:thumbsu:

Matt a few more names missing for the Redbacks,Ben Richmond,Ben Krywyn,Adrian Baker,Justin Binney,Ben Nettlebeck and now Danny Harrison,Woodend player number 11 I think his name is Robert Martin was a standout for the Hawks he looks to be young.The kid was sensational on sat.

Who has been whinging that much that you are now "sick" of it???

Every time I speak to people (on the phone or in person) and ask them why their side lost or why they are struggling it is either injuries or umpires. You read it on AFL fans' boards on BF too. Coaches, presidents, players and spectators seem to narrow the excuses for a loss down to these two reasons.

Cuffey has a younger brother playing???

Lol, Jamie played on the weekend, the younger Cuffe is Tie, his son... :thumbsu:

If Tye can be half of the player that Jamie has been ,the Kangas would be licking there lips .I think he must of got leather poisoning a couple of weeks ago in the 18s against Romsey

If Tye can be half of the player that Jamie has been ,the Kangas would be licking there lips .I think he must of got leather poisoning a couple of weeks ago in the 18s against Romsey

The young fella is certainly a talent :thumbsu:

The young fella is certainly a talent :thumbsu:

The obvious question is, can the Kanga's and league hold onto this talent and stop him from moving on in his prime just like his father did in the late 90's.

Secondly, I personally think that the way that Scott McCartney is marketing the league & cash being thrown around we will be a lot closer to the EDFL in the coming years to being a premier metro league.

The obvious question is, can the Kanga's and league hold onto this talent and stop him from moving on in his prime just like his father did in the late 90's.

Secondly, I personally think that the way that Scott McCartney is marketing the league & cash being thrown around we will be a lot closer to the EDFL in the coming years to being a premier metro league.

When you speak to some of these talented kids, they believe that they are a better chance of being taken in the draft if they play at a higher level ,a certain Romsey Player was told to go to Gisborne as his chances would improve at being drafted,Thankfuly he reconsidered and stayed put,makes you wonder who tells them this crap

Mid 80's 1985 ..... Clarke oval Massive crowd .... mid year RDFL V"s Goulburn Valley

leauge went into 1 division for a couple of years ..... Leauge was in the top flight State grade .. 18 clubs in 1 division ...

The Rdfl is that far behind the EDFL not funny ..... even in a few years we wont come close. Greenvale vs bombers ?

Money and cash flow (helps) dont make leauge's it only last's so long ..... kids make leauges .. build them up from under 10's to 18's

To become a power again the rdfl has too have divisions ,,, imo

My mid-season Top 50

by Matt Nicholls

WE ARE just one game shy of the halfway mark of the home and away season in the Riddell District Football League, and with no games this weekend, what better time to have a look at which players have made an impact thus far.
Prior to the season, I noted that this year’s Top 50 would be the hardest ever to compile. So hard it was, that 18 new players have jumped into the mid-season list.
A lot of players moved up, a lot have shifted down. But that doesn’t mean they haven’t playing good football. Take Riddell captain Jason Allen for example. He has drifted down 10 positions but is skippering an undefeated side and is good form. Simply, other players have done a little bit more.
It should be no surprise that Bombers players dominate this list – one fifth in fact.
Four of those sit in the top 10, with star full-forward Lee James and gun midfielder Sam Young occupying the best two positions respectively.
The big movers have been James Climas (Riddell), Cole Laurie (Diggers Rest), Mick Lacy (Woodend-Hesket) and Cam Dawson (Romsey).
I seriously underrated Climas, who has been a dominating force in Riddell’s engine room this year, while Laurie has reinvented himself as a leading forward and trails only Lee James in the goalkicking.
Mick Lacy would have been thereabouts in my Top 50 at the start of the season if I knew he was a confirmed player at the Hawks. He is the best tall in the competition thus far.
While Dawson has always had the talent, I wasn’t sure what direction he would take this season. Thankfully for the Redbacks, he has taken the big step forward to become one of the premier midfielder/forwards in the competition.
Other players to shine this season include Blake Whiteway, who appears to be really enjoying his football this season. He has been by far Wallan’s best player.
Kar Weng Ng (Woodend-Hesket), Brenton Sutherland (Sunbury Kangaroos), James Petran (Riddell), Brian Wheelahan (Melton Central) are all enjoying good seasons and should continue moving up the order as the year grows old.

THE LIST

1. Lee James (Riddell) NO CHANGE
2. Sam Young (Riddell) UP 6
3. Matt Robertson (Kilmore) DOWN 1
4. Mick Lacy (Woodend-Hesket) NEW
5. Cole Laurie (Diggers Rest) UP 36
6. Brian Wheelahan (Melton Central) UP 6
7. James Climas (Riddell) UP 42
8. Shaun Sims (Diggers Rest) DOWN 1
9. Peter Robertson (Riddell) DOWN 5
10. Cam Dawson (Romsey) NEW
11. Tim Dettmann (Macedon) DOWN 1
12. Blake Whiteway (Wallan) NEW
13. Jeremy Jose (Diggers Rest) UP 18
14. Kar Weng Ng (Woodend-Hesket) UP 21
15. Dave Cornish (Wallan) DOWN 9
16. Daniel Sipthorp (Woodend-Hesket) DOWN 13
17. Warren Kairns (Romsey) NEW
18. Chris Collins (Lancefield) UP 4
19. James Petran (Riddell) UP 18
20. Brenton Sutherland (Kangaroos) UP 28
21. Paul Podbury (Woodend-Hesket) UP 13
22. Justin Belleville (Riddell) DOWN 4
23. Luke Walker (Rockbank) DOWN 2
24. James Wright (Macedon) NEW
25. Tom Waters (Lancefield) DOWN 16
26. Tristan Salter (Kilmore) UP 2
27. Aaron Blade (Riddell) UP 15
28. Ryan Connellan (Romsey) DOWN 17
29. Simon Choate (Lancefield) UP 3
30. Mick Allen (Riddell) NEW
31. Adam Johnstone (Woodend-Hesket) NEW
32. Matt Krul (Rockbank) UP 12
33. Brendan Chugg (Melton Central)NEW
34. James Hepburn (Woodend-Hesket) NEW
35. Jason Allen (Riddell) DOWN 10
36. Bobby Johnson (Kangaroos) NEW
37. Ben Richmond (Romsey) NEW
38. Glenn Nankervis (Melton Central) NEW
39. Rick Dowling (Lancefield) NEW
40. Leigh McInerney (Kangaroos) DOWN 16
41. Chris Meacham (Riddell) NEW
42. David Fowler (Wallan) DOWN 4
43. Sam Bowen (Woodend-Hesket) NEW
44. Dylan Nicholson (Rockbank) NEW
45. Geoff O’Connor (Macedon) UP 5
46. Steve James (Kangaroos) NEW
47. Matt McLellan (Romsey) DOWN 11
48. Damien Janner (Diggers Rest) NEW
49. Alan Carroll (Kilmore) DOWN 16
50. Jamie Cuffe (Kangaroos) DOWN 37

Matt a few more names missing for the Redbacks,Ben Richmond,Ben Krywyn,Adrian Baker,Justin Binney,Ben Nettlebeck and now Danny Harrison,Woodend player number 11 I think his name is Robert Martin was a standout for the Hawks he looks to be young.The kid was sensational on sat.

Robby 'Disco' Martin has been around at Woodend seniors since bursting onto the scene as a raw 18 year old back in premiership year of 2002. Probably should have won BOG medal that day against Lancefield after giving heaps of run as well as 2 goals off half back. Either you havent been around much over past 6 years or you are just another member of the opposition who doesnt do their homework or rate Woodend players. They seem to fly under the radar whenever discussion comes up re best players in comp etc and so often dont get the respect from opposition clubs/coaches they deserve & thus sneak under the guard and win finals/grand finals.

Just a bit of housekeeping No 48 yet to play a game this year so to be a new inclusion is a fair effort . i commend you on attempting a top 50 however i must go into bat for J.Jose surely the start he has had along with Diggers Rests form its warrants a Top 10 place. Id be rather interested to know your criteria that you form this Top 50. Cant argue with Top 2 obvioulsy flying and the inclusion of Lefty in the Top 10 is warranted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just a bit of housekeeping No 48 yet to play a game this year so to be a new inclusion is a fair effort . i commend you on attempting a top 50 however i must go into bat for J.Jose surely the start he has had along with Diggers Rests form its warrants a Top 10 place. Id be rather interested to know your criteria that you form this Top 50. Cant argue with Top 2 obvioulsy flying and the inclusion of Lefty in the Top 10 is warranted.

yea totally agree billylid, jose has to be in the top 10 the form he has showed all year from all reports and the stuff he does with football in hand is something special with this only being his 4th year of footy! spot on with the top 50 otherwise matt. when will the sides for the east and west game be announced?? a month to the game and no sides or nothing been named yet:thumbsdown:

Yeah sorry Janner was supposed to be Craig Thompson.

As for Jose, he's been the best ruck this year, but couldn't sneak him into the top 10.

yea totally agree billylid, jose has to be in the top 10 the form he has showed all year from all reports and the stuff he does with football in hand is something special with this only being his 4th year of footy! spot on with the top 50 otherwise matt. when will the sides for the east and west game be announced?? a month to the game and no sides or nothing been named yet:thumbsdown:

Squads have been announced.

Squads have been announced.

What did you think of the Top 50, IMS?

I had a hard time placing the Kangaroos' players. Spud, Sutherland, Johnson, Cuffe and McInerney have all played good games this year but have also had some quiet ones. Think Bobby has probably been your best though.

its only my opinion but shaun sims should be higher than robbo.
i havent seen too much of robbo. in fact the only game ive seen him is when he played diggers and got absolutely towelled. simsy had about 30 in the guts at 3/4 time and was allowed a 'rest" on half back playing on robbo.
couldnt keep the ball out of shauns hands in the first 3 quarters and in the last robbo didnt get a touch whilst simsy kept racking em up.
i'm hoping he just had a bad day otherwise there is no doubt simsy is better.

i havent seen too much of robbo. in fact the only game ive seen him is when he played diggers and got absolutely towelled. simsy had about 30 in the guts at 3/4 time and was allowed a 'rest" on half back playing on robbo.
couldnt keep the ball out of shauns hands in the first 3 quarters and in the last robbo didnt get a touch whilst simsy kept racking em up.

Think all the Burra were hot that day and all the Blues were cold.

Robbo has won Kilmore three matches this year, and has been pretty darn consistent over a fairly long time. Some people think I rate both Sims and Robbo too highy, but they are both superstars of this comp in my opinion. I could have easily kept Robbo at number two and put Sam Young at three and not got many arguments, but gave Sammy the nod. The only criticism I have of Robbo is that he never plays his best footy for four quarters, normally you'll see two terms of brilliance and two terms of "normal" footy. But his terrific quarters are the best in the business by a mile.

can confirm the kid climas wont b able 2 play in the east vs west side as of a 'niggling ankle injury',the real truth behind the story is that his been meeting tatura and will infact travel and stay up there 2 train 4 a couple weeks in a bid 2 get more $$

sims cant butter toast let alone play footy,yours truly had the chance 2 play on matt robbo and i will say he can play footy

Robby 'Disco' Martin has been around at Woodend seniors since bursting onto the scene as a raw 18 year old back in premiership year of 2002. Probably should have won BOG medal that day against Lancefield after giving heaps of run as well as 2 goals off half back. Either you havent been around much over past 6 years or you are just another member of the opposition who doesnt do their homework or rate Woodend players. They seem to fly under the radar whenever discussion comes up re best players in comp etc and so often dont get the respect from opposition clubs/coaches they deserve & thus sneak under the guard and win finals/grand finals.

I rate the hawks very highly,i have only seen a couple of there games over the last few years and this is the first time i have seen the kid,he goes well

can confirm the kid climas wont b able 2 play in the east vs west side as of a 'niggling ankle injury',the real truth behind the story is that his been meeting tatura and will infact travel and stay up there 2 train 4 a couple weeks in a bid 2 get more $$

You are nothing but a TOOL ! James is one of my best friends and he is not going anywhere at this stage! as for going up there to train for a few weeks, that would be difficult seeing as he will be right there with me watching if not playing in the east VS west game! get a life!

You are nothing but a TOOL ! James is one of my best friends and he is not going anywhere at this stage! as for going up there to train for a few weeks, that would be difficult seeing as he will be right there with me watching if not playing in the east VS west game! get a life!

I think if you were one of Clemos best mates you would know his best mates log in. No cash here, if its you maybe keep your log in secret from some of your (so called) mates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back