RDFL Thread 2008

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: R.d.f.l Thread 2008

Hey right foot sloth Lee Spry was a pretty handy footballer except for some injuries that slowed him down. I think he played at North Footscray in Div 2 WRFL for many years and was a very good player there and has also played at Gordon which I think he may have been involved in some sort of coaching capacity there this year. He generally has a few mates that will follow him where ever he goes some will play and some will help raise money for the club through the bar. Doesn't mind a few quiet ones either. Should be good for Rockbank though pretty knowlodgeable with football and has never played football for the money.

Are you still at Glen Eira?

Thats good news for the boys. One of boys (Beavo) mentioned to me during the week that he has mentioned that Lee is targetting the younger guys. This demostrates to me he is in it for the long haul. Also I was wrapped to hear the Horse won the senior B&F. With me I have got a new coaching job at Old Trinity in the Ammos. :thumbsu: We start training Monday week ! Let the fun begin !

Steve Ruane has left Diggers and signed with Euroa. Playing with best mate Crogga. Huge loss for the club and league

Huge loss if this is true ... with roo and with the previously mentioned 2-3 others now gone, would expect the once mighty burra to be sitting anywhere from 9th to 7th this year the way things are going as far as how well other teams seem to be recruiting.

Huge loss if this is true ... with roo and with the previously mentioned 2-3 others now gone, would expect the once mighty burra to be sitting anywhere from 9th to 7th this year the way things are going as far as how well other teams seem to be recruiting.

i think you've underestimated us there.
theres alot of things happening with the club that you and others on here havent heard of.
7th - 9th is ridiculous. losing one player doesnt send a club from consecutively making finals to being bottom 2. (maybe 3 with wallan)
its a team game and when one person falls another steps up to answer the challenge.
season 07 was tough with injuries, form and losing a few close games.
but 08 we'll get the injured players back, many young players rising through the ranks and and well be trained harder than ever. And you only have to look at what we can do when we switch on.
RD 14 against premiers Woodend.
7 goals down at 1/4 time. 5 1/2 goals down at 3/4 time and we came from behind to win in one of the greatest games of the year.
if we can play like that for 4 quarters and run the games out we will be a force to be reckoned with in season 08.

Steve Ruane has left Diggers and signed with Euroa. Playing with best mate Crogga. Huge loss for the club and league

I know of at least 2 of Diggers top 5 players in serious talks with other clubs outside of league. I think they see a club on the slide for the next few years.

Tonight is the night our question will be answered, will Wallan be in the RDFL next year? A vote from all 25 clubs will determine if they are welcome.

Will Wallan get into the RDFL -Yes - but where do they stand when they signed a 7 year contract last year to stay in the DVFL for the next 7years with the old commitee will they let them go ?? and to get into the RDFL the new committee will sign a 10 year contract not to leave the RDFL for the next 10years . So 2 leagues with supposedly contracts what will happen. Common sense-in the likely hood of a team folding I think the DVFL will not stop them if they are welcome into the RDFL.

Will Wallan get into the RDFL -Yes - but where do they stand when they signed a 7 year contract last year to stay in the DVFL for the next 7years with the old commitee will they let them go ?? and to get into the RDFL the new committee will sign a 10 year contract not to leave the RDFL for the next 10years . So 2 leagues with supposedly contracts what will happen. Common sense-in the likely hood of a team folding I think the DVFL will not stop them if they are welcome into the RDFL.

At this stage the opposition is seemingly coming from Kilmore, Riddell, Macedon and possibly Romsey senior footy clubs.

At this stage the opposition is seemingly coming from Kilmore, Riddell, Macedon and possibly Romsey senior footy clubs.
Matt have you heard of the agreements between the respective leagues and Wallan. My source was from wallan that told me about the said agreements.

AFL Victoria rule is that any club moving leagues must commit to a minimum 5 years. They would be crazy to refuse wallan a clearance if they are looking after grassroots footy. Wallan lost 27 players this year and got flogged by more than 20 goals on several occassions, if they are to stay in the Northern football league they will be sure to fold within the next couple of years. Not good for a growing community like Wallan

Matt have you heard of the agreements between the respective leagues and Wallan. My source was from wallan that told me about the said agreements.

I was unaware of any agreements. If Wallan want to leave, and the RDFL clubs support them, I can't see the NFL or AFL Victoria trying to stop them. I thought they would originally but have been told they won't even though they won't be happy.

Care to mention those 2 players Blueboy16

Not yet Thommo. It would be unfair to both players who have not told Diggers of their possible moves. Still early in silly season and they might not like the offers on the table by the other clubs. Time will tell. Just losing Rooser will be a big enough hole to cover at this stage.

Dont worry NOTDONEYET no one is going anywhere i think you will find that geddes at west footscray will not get anyone from diggers, yes there were a couple of phone calls made but that is about it. i also think you will find that one of those players has already signed at another club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dont worry NOTDONEYET no one is going anywhere i think you will find that geddes at west footscray will not get anyone from diggers, yes there were a couple of phone calls made but that is about it. i also think you will find that one of those players has already signed at another club.

Who said anything about West Footscray that was just a guess because of my connection with Shane. No-one in Diggers senior side would be capable of playing Div 1 footy in WRFL. Actually Simsy but thats it.

craig thomson, cole laurie, jeff heritage,shaun sims, jeremy jose, ryan underwood, damian janner, steve hoare, would all play senior footy there especially at west footscray who are going to struggle next year unless they pick up 15 players, its a huge jump to div 1. i think people underestimate the strength of the rdfl and some of its players.

Not yet Thommo. It would be unfair to both players who have not told Diggers of their possible moves. Still early in silly season and they might not like the offers on the table by the other clubs. Time will tell. Just losing Rooser will be a big enough hole to cover at this stage.

Seems like you know alot about diggers Mr Spencer. Most of it news to me!! What else do you know about other clubs??

I can't see why Macedon would object. As the previous Macedon footy club had some of their debt to the RDFL wiped by Wallan when it left :eek:. It would be a courtesy to assist them back into the competition.

Seems like you know alot about diggers Mr Spencer. Most of it news to me!! What else do you know about other clubs??

That I do Thommo! More than some people at the club like me to know.

Dont worry about West for 08, yes it will be hard to compete with the top sides but they are CASHED up and recruited some big name players from the SANFL already.

i think you've underestimated us there.
theres alot of things happening with the club that you and others on here havent heard of.
7th - 9th is ridiculous. losing one player doesnt send a club from consecutively making finals to being bottom 2. (maybe 3 with wallan)
its a team game and when one person falls another steps up to answer the challenge.
season 07 was tough with injuries, form and losing a few close games.
but 08 we'll get the injured players back, many young players rising through the ranks and and well be trained harder than ever. And you only have to look at what we can do when we switch on.
RD 14 against premiers Woodend.
7 goals down at 1/4 time. 5 1/2 goals down at 3/4 time and we came from behind to win in one of the greatest games of the year.
if we can play like that for 4 quarters and run the games out we will be a force to be reckoned with in season 08.

Well ... If you look at whats happening around other clubs and their movements, times will be tough.

Riddell - L.James recruited
Roos - 1 or 2 big names floating around as signings
Romsey - Always looked a flag threat in 07
Kilmore - New Coach always means new players
Woodend - 07 premiers, enough said
Lancefield - Big improvers towards end of 07
Centrals - A few new names added also
Rockbank - New coach
Macedon - New coach + players

Its not a diggers bagging post .... The burra have some of the best blokes going in RDFL and think they are a great club.I just think they will struggle to keep up with this fastly improving league and need to get stuck into some hard recruiting to stay competetive. Their list just hasnt changed really in the past 2 years.

Well ... If you look at whats happening around other clubs and their movements, times will be tough.

Rockbank - New coach

Its not a diggers bagging post .... The burra have some of the best blokes going in RDFL and think they are a great club.I just think they will struggle to keep up with this fastly improving league and need to get stuck into some hard recruiting to stay competetive. Their list just hasnt changed really in the past 2 years.

Only 10 players still playing seniors from 2 seasons ago.

LATE MAIL RE: WALLAN MOVE

Kilmore has done a complete backflip and will perhaps even go as far as moving a motion to support Wallan's return to the competition.

Nothing is confirmed on Riddell or Macedon's position, but I believe that Romsey may be the only club to oppose the move. Interesting considering the Redbacks don't have a coach or president at the moment, 4 weeks after their AGM!

Rockbank - New coach

Diggers might slide and we might not. The club heirachy have chosen to go a slightly different path and only time will tell if it pays off. We have a coach who is brilliant at developing young players and if you have a look we played more players in our seniors than any other club last season due to injuries and developing of young players. Some recruiting will be done I am sure but I dont think chasing guys around throwing sacks of money at them is what Diggers are about.

If you look back to 2005 people were saying the same thing then after a mass exodus of players. A young group stepped up in place of them.

Diggers might slide and we might not. The club heirachy have chosen to go a slightly different path and only time will tell if it pays off. We have a coach who is brilliant at developing young players and if you have a look we played more players in our seniors than any other club last season due to injuries and developing of young players. Some recruiting will be done I am sure but I dont think chasing guys around throwing sacks of money at them is what Diggers are about.

If you look back to 2005 people were saying the same thing then after a mass exodus of players. A young group stepped up in place of them.
and another young group is coming.
u18s finished 3rd this year with 14-16 bottom aged players. every single one of those players will be playing there next year and would have to be hot favourite to take the flag after romsey and woodend both lose 60-80% of their 18s players.
diggers obviously isnt the richest of the clubs, but its not the money that keep the players there. the atmosphere generated from not just a bunch but a team of good mates is enough to satisfy the needs of most at the club.
contrary to what others may be saying i believe (and im sure others do aswell) that diggers future is looking bright.

LATE MAIL RE: WALLAN MOVE

Kilmore has done a complete backflip and will perhaps even go as far as moving a motion to support Wallan's return to the competition.

Nothing is confirmed on Riddell or Macedon's position, but I believe that Romsey may be the only club to oppose the move. Interesting considering the Redbacks don't have a coach or president at the moment, 4 weeks after their AGM!

Not sure why romsey would oppose us coming back when we have a pretty good relationship with that club. We compete with them every year for the annual hogans cup. Anyone know why they are opposing our return???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back