RDFL Thread 2010 (Part 3)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
RDFL 2010 Season - Round 14

A massive round of clashes again in Round 14 of the RDFL season. Every game now could have an impact on the remainder of the season for so many clubs.

Sunbury Kangaroos FNC Vs Macedon FC
Boardman Reserve - Sunbury
It was only a couple of weeks ago that these two sides battled it out on a wet and miserable day at Tony Clarke. The result was a very good win to the Cats and a disappointing day for the Roos. Turn the clock forward and the Cats lineup has only strengthened with the addition of James and Andrew McArthur, Al Meldrum is improving with each hitout and Dylan Wright should return. The Roos found it hard to counter the Cats gun midfielder James Wright the first time around and will certainly need to counter his drive this time. The Roos on the other hand are still battling with injuries. Whether Leigh McInerney, Darragh McGovern, Bobby Johnson etc are able to come up for this game is still in question. But the last couple of weeks have seen a much improved output for the Roos. Matt Welsh is in excellent form while the backline continues to provide excellent output. Jake Powell, Simon Clarke and Adam Walsh have in particular been standouts for the Roos all year.
A better day for weather is predicted for tomorrow which will give the Roos an advantage with their bigger guys, but the Cats have a much stronger big man brigade of their own. Either way, the fans who make their way to Boardman tomorrow are going to be in for a very entertaining clash!!
Macedon by 11 points.

Woodend/Hesket FNC Vs Riddell FNC

Gilbert Gordon Oval - Woodend
In another return match from only a couple of weeks ago, the Hawks host the Bombers. The Hawks fought hard last time around at Riddell and at 3 quarter time were right in the game only to run out of legs. The question is, can they repeat the dose enough to give them a chance this week. In improved conditions it is hard to see that happening, but they do play their own ground much better. The problem is they are coming off a belting at the hands of the Cats. To turn that sort of loss around will certainly be tough. The Bombers however are cruising again. Two big wins in a row against Kilmore and Romsey have them sitting pretty atop the ladder and on a roll, they are quickly regaining the aura that has for so long served them well. The Hawks usually lift for these games. But they have a long way to lift and the Bombers will just be too good.
Riddell by 45 points

Wallan FNC Vs Rockbank FNC
Greenhill Reserve - Wallan
The Magpies are clinging to their final 6 hopes and this week is just too important for them. They will regain Carl Groth, who would have been sorely missed last week. With the form of David Saliba and Shane Jacobs should be too strong. The Rams had a confidence boosting result last week, their standouts were the usual in Zerafa, Kennedy and Jackal, but they will need plenty more output from others to compete with the Magpies in Wallan.
There is way too much on the line for the magpies to drop this one and they should mirror the result earlier in the year and win comfortably.
Wallan by 30 points

Broadford FNC Vs Kilmore FNC
Harley Hammond Reserve - Broadford
Aaron James - 120 goals for the season, Round 14. The only question mark on this game is if the big man can reach the 120 mark. The Roos only hope is not to focus too much on James, worry about winning the midfield. If the ball doesn't go inside 50, James can't kick goals. But the Kilmore midfield is too strong. Booker and Robertson will be too hard to stop and the Blues will win comfortably.
Kilmore by 120 points

Melton Centrals FNC Vs Diggers Rest FNC
McPherson Park - Melton
Similar to the Wallan game. The Burra have too much to lose to drop this game. With so much on the line, the experienced players should step up and ensure they carry the Burra over the line. Centrals were disappointing last week and will certainly come out firing, but do they have enough talent across the ground to challenge? Diggers should be too good and come away with a relatively comfortable win.
Diggers Rest by 35 points

Match of the Round
Lancefield FNC Vs Romsey FNC
Lancefield Park - Lancefield
The traditional rivals will take each other on with plenty on the line. Romsey's finals hopes are hanging by a thread, while the Tigers will be super determined to keep a grasp on a top two spot. The Redbacks would be super disappointed with the end result last week, especially as they were in the game at half time. I still rate the Redbacks list as one of the best in the competition and if they gel anything is possible. Dean Smith-Whiting is ultra impressive, while they have several avenues to goal in Steve Burlak, Cam Dawson and Ben Richmond. If they use the ball well through the midfield and provide opportunity, then they have the players to kick a winning score. The Tigers are travelling along very nicely indeed, they haven't dropped a game since Round 1 and a win here will almost guarantee a top two finish. Brian Ruffell has been in excellent form over recent weeks and if he can continue his current form it will make the Tigers forward line tough for the Redbacks to stop.
With so much riding on this game, the output of players such as Moorcroft and Green for the Redbacks through the middle will be vital. Trav Smith is likely to get Moorcroft again and if he can shake that check then it will go a long way to putting the Redbacks in the game, I would like to see Gary spend more time forward this week, it will throw the game open and make Smith's task much tougher with not as much support around the ball. Anyway it happens, this should be a cracking match.
Lancefield by 5 points

Is it true the cats put a complaint in to the umpires about a couple of woodend players? Isn't a win good enough for the cats? Pretty ordinary by flee, like in round 2 when they got there pants pulled down the grass was to long and the boundary was to close to the fence, always an exuse at the catbomb

I have pasted this from the previous thread as I have no idea if you can link them.

Mongrel

I better put my two bobs worth in regarding the team of the year. I have to name my best player from the 10 opposition sides and my best team, not including players from my team. Obviously players like Jamesy and certainly some key players from riddell and kilmore would be walk up starts for the RDFL team of the year going by their form to date. And to leave these key players out of the team of the year just wont make any sense,
HOWEVER, Barring the two or three players that had genuine reasons why they couldnt represent the rdfl against the southern league, The rest of the players eligable that decided not to play for whatever reason basically eliminated their opportunity to truly be a part of the rdfl team of the year. Where were these players when all the other willing players had to stomach a 30 minute presentation of medals and crap to the victorious southern footy league. I have no doubt that if the best rdfl side was representing the league that day, we would have won. The true team of the year IS and should be the 24 guys that represented the league on that day. So my thoughts are, scrap the team of the year and announce the interleague players as our best side. HOPEFULLY in ten years time when some of the players and coaches that think they are too good for interleague, look back and realise that playing club footy is their only claim to fame!

Can I just say that everybody has their opinions on Representative Football and Team of the Year, however the two are completely different. You can’t have a foot in each camp by saying James still qualifies because of his form and others don’t. The RDFL has asked the coaches to do a pretty straight forward and clear task. They haven’t asked coaches to apply any moralistic criteria/opinions on the pros and cons of ‘Team of the Year’ versus Rep side.

The ask is simple, the best opposition team/players based on your games against them this year. Considering whether they did or didn’t play Rep Football has nothing to do with it.

I personally don’t like ‘team of the years’, I would rather see Rep Players get presented with their jumpers at the League presentation. However that is only my opinion.

If every coach does what is asked there will be consistency and the Team of the Year will have some creditability.

Picks this week:

Sunbury – only on home ground advantage
Riddell – easily
Wallan – will be very close
Kilmore – more than easily
Diggers – because they need to.
Lancefield – too much pressure, Romsey’s Achilles’ heel

Great Preview IMS My tips are almost the same except Kangas by 11 in a close one.

MO FO, I did a little research of my own to put your mind at ease regarding the Riddell 2's playing an unregistered player and losing the points. My source (pretty reliable) tells me that it was actually Romsey who played the ineligible player last saturday (apparently they lost, so it didnt matter to much anyway) but the situation became a little confusing for some reason, and the league contacted Riddell to find out more about this ineligible player and why they played and to hear their side of the story. They were met with, "i've never heard of this player, that bloke doesnt play here, what are you talking about??". After a little more research they found it was actually a Romsey player.

So hope this fills the gaps a little for you and you can rest easy.:D

Not so much shocked by the result, because Romsey were coming and Lancefield were going along too nicely for comfort, but I was definitely shocked by the margin of 50 points. Redbacks now well and truly back in business.

MO FO, I did a little research of my own to put your mind at ease regarding the Riddell 2's playing an unregistered player and losing the points. My source (pretty reliable) tells me that it was actually Romsey who played the ineligible player last saturday (apparently they lost, so it didnt matter to much anyway) but the situation became a little confusing for some reason, and the league contacted Riddell to find out more about this ineligible player and why they played and to hear their side of the story. They were met with, "i've never heard of this player, that bloke doesnt play here, what are you talking about??". After a little more research they found it was actually a Romsey player.

So hope this fills the gaps a little for you and you can rest easy.:D

Discreet1, Thankyou for helping me out. Def am resting easy:thumbsu:

LOL at the Riddell coaching "staff", standing to the left of the muddy coaching box at Woodend not wanting to get their shiny shoes dirty in the mud, What a bunch of w***ers, We so professionall we cant be seen in dirty shoes, paalleese

LOL at the Riddell coaching "staff", standing to the left of the muddy coaching box at Woodend not wanting to get their shiny shoes dirty in the mud, What a bunch of w***ers, We so professionall we cant be seen in dirty shoes, paalleese

Who won?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Riddell did and in the process ended Woodends season. You would think that would have more to worry about than where the coach stands. With Lancefield losing it has almost wrapped up the minor premiership. Well done Demon!
Actually KA that was my point. What else have we got to focus on??, how about having to play three home games in a row at Gilbert Gordon in the wettest part of the year. whomever did this years fixture needs their head read.:mad:

biggest bunch of pretenders going round! They wont bother to many sides come finals, if they make it!!

Lets hope the sides they meet in the finals have the opinion you do and not show them any respect, like the Tigers yesterday. I do believe that Romsey found Lancefields weakness SOFTTTTTTTTT.:eek:

biggest bunch of pretenders going round! They wont bother to many sides come finals, if they make it!!
discreet1. Romsey didn't play any unregister players in the 2s last week.
As for bothering to many sides in the finals, in the last three weeks they have beaten the cats lost to the bombers and beaten the tigers . They have only played sunbury once and went down by 5 points so on their day they are around the mark. I would think that the side that finishes third would not rate them as pretenders.

I ventured up to Lancefield on Saturday to see the Match of the round, the biggest rivalry going around in the RDFL - Lancefield v Romsey.
Was a very good game...& yes the Redbacks played very very well. I suppose the Tigers have a couple of excuses, in that 2 of their best players in Chris Collins & Leigh Irwin didn't take the field. And with their best midfielder & their best backman not playing, thats where the Tigers ultimately fell down in the contest.
Romsey have also unearthed some talented youth to "glue" their stars together. These young blokes are having a red hot crack & giving the team more run & endurance. Last week against Riddell, the Redbacks played great footy for the first quarter & a half. Yesterday they played consistently well for all four quarters. Dean Smith-Whiting was sensational and clearly BOG. Brad Mitchell was very very good &......
Gaaaaaaaary was...... well......Gary !

PS. Give it away Adam Kearney & concentrate solely on coaching, from the side lines. You are too slow & add nothing to the side ! Give another kid a go. One less passenger may be all thats required to take the group all the way.

LenardWashington said:
Do Broadford still see their future in the RDFL? Looks like their 1's, 2's and under 18 team will all finish last this season. Would the move back to the Heathcote league be better for them?

slyone said:
I'm sure Doona would be more qualified to answer your question but from what i'v been told, the season started badly off field due to a late change of coach, if Billy had have been elected earlier, thay may not have lost so many players, i dont think changing Leagues will help them, they just need to get players back to the club and bring on the young fella's who look very promising for the future, they have passionate people running the club and i think they can turn things around very quickly

As far as I know there aint any Broadford FC people that even do BigFooty so all I can say is that there is a real responsibility on the shoulders of those who voted this way (well those that voted and haven't since pi$$ed off), and those who choose to support the joint whilst the chips are down . . . . . but I'm probably the last bloke that should pass comment on this as most people who know me, already know my thoughts on it all.

I ventured up to Lancefield on Saturday to see the Match of the round, the biggest rivalry going around in the RDFL - Lancefield v Romsey.
Was a very good game...& yes the Redbacks played very very well. I suppose the Tigers have a couple of excuses, in that 2 of their best players in Chris Collins & Leigh Irwin didn't take the field. And with their best midfielder & their best backman not playing, thats where the Tigers ultimately fell down in the contest.
Romsey have also unearthed some talented youth to "glue" their stars together. These young blokes are having a red hot crack & giving the team more run & endurance. Last week against Riddell, the Redbacks played great footy for the first quarter & a half. Yesterday they played consistently well for all four quarters. Dean Smith-Whiting was sensational and clearly BOG. Brad Mitchell was very very good &......
Gaaaaaaaary was...... well......Gary !

PS. Give it away Adam Kearney & concentrate solely on coaching, from the side lines. You are too slow & add nothing to the side ! Give another kid a go. One less passenger may be all thats required to take the group all the way.

No excuses......Redbacks are also without one of the best midfielders in the comp at the moment in Ash McNaughton, but we arn't making excuses

Travelled up to Lancefield to watch the battle of the traditional rivals in a highly anticipated match up.. The passion and tradition in these games really is something to witness, the small mind games and tactics that are used are really a sight to see.

The first thing I noticed at the game was the premiership flag flapping proudly from the flag pole, not sure if this is something that happens every week at Lancefield (haven't noticed it in other games so far at Lanny, but it could have been there), if just for this game, it was a funny little ploy...
Just to put the "no excuses" comment that I see above in context, both sides have players to come back in, but the Tigers players missing had more of an affect on the game, the backline looked disorganised without Leigh Irwin and Tim Collins and with Chris Collins and Ben Talbot to return, not all is lost for the Tigers from this result. Ash McNaughton returning for the Redbacks around finals time will be a massive boost.
The game kicked off at a decent pace, both sides made skill errors, but the pressure on the ball carrier and tackling pressure was excellent. The Tigers got out to a flyer kicking the first goal of the game within the opening minutes to Daniel Rebbechi, followed by a goal to Brian Ruffell. They looked to have control of the game and had all the run early, it was ominous signs for the Redbacks. But as the quarter went on, the Redbacks gained some momentum, Ryan Connellan, while not winning the hitouts, was having more effect around the ground than Tom Waters, while Dean Smith-Whiting and Shannon Green were dominant through the midfield. Gary Moorcroft looked much more dangerous inside the forward 50 and twice outpointed Trav Smith for goals. Justin Binney and Brad Mitchell also hit the scoreboard to give the Redbacks a 13 point lead at quarter time.
The second quarter seemed to follow the same trend. The Tigers in control early before the Redbacks slowly worked the momentum their way. Moorcroft was well on top of Smith, but the stars of the quarter were Mitchell and Smith-Whiting, who was now being tagged. Both seemed to be in the play when it mattered most, providing opportunity for the Redback forwards, Dawson kicked a lovely goal from 40m out and when Mitchell soccered a goal just before half time, the Redbacks had restored the 13 point lead going into the long break.
The question at half time was, were we about to see another Redbacks fadeout in the third quarter, or would it be the Tigers that wilted under the pressure. The game trend continued. Early in the third, the Tigers were in complete control, Ruffell and Baker were causing headaches for the Redbacks defense, but they battled on. Paul Brady and Jamie Michael in particular standing up strong as the Tigers went 2 goals up. Then the game turned. Moorcroft returned to the forward 50, Smith-Whiting and Shannon Green started winning the clearances and the big Yak was beginning to get his hands on the ball. The Redbacks seemed to flick a switch. Mitchell added another to his tally following a strong tackle (which may have been a crowd holding the ball), then Moorcroft turned it on. A dribbling goal from the pocket fired the Redbacks up and the crowd became involved. Kearney outpointed his opponent at the top of the square for another and when Trav Smith failed to clear the area with a spoil that he should have marked (all due respect, by that stage he was under seige) Cam Dawson swooped and put through a goal that all of a sudden had the Redbacks 5 goals in front and will all the momentum heading into the last quarter.
The first clearance of the last term fell to Smith-Whiting again, who put the ball forward, buttered up to the next contest to win possession again and a kick to Moorcroft which put through his fifth, the contest was over. The Redbacks refused to relent though, a five goal to two last term, including Moorcroft's sixth and Mitchell's fourth as well as a booming goal to Smith-Whiting. The Redbacks had conquered a demon that for all purposes looked like it had sat atop their shoulder since September last year. The performance overall signalled that the Redbacks were well and truly back in the mix for finals action, the message has been sent.

My Votes

3 - Dean Smith-Whiting
2 - Brad Mitchell
1 - Gary Moorcroft

(Apologies to Paul Brady and Shannon Green)

What I learned from Round 14
  • The Redbacks are back, look out to whoever else has to face them for the remainder of the year.
  • 3 of the 4 sides that are competing for the final 2 spots in the six made statements on the weekend, big wins to Romsey, Diggers and Wallan.
  • The Cats, are very much in the danger zone. With Riddell and Lancefield in their last 4 games. They may need to pick one of those two games up to make it. Lose to one they shouldn't and they will miss.
  • The Kangaroos turned around the form from a few weeks ago, the 5 goal win is a statement in itself.
  • Riddell are just getting the job done at the moment.
Performance Ladder - Round 14
Romsey
Sunbury Kangaroos
Diggers Rest
Wallan
Kilmore
Riddell

Woodend/Hesket
Macedon
Broadford
Rockbank
Lancefield
Melton Centrals

The Run home from here...

Riddell (13-1) - Macedon (W), Sunbury (W), Broadford (W), Melton Centrals (W) - 17-1, 1st

Lancefield (12-2) - Kilmore (L), Melton Centrals (W), Macedon (W), Diggers Rest (W) - 15-3, 2nd

Sunbury Kangaroos (11-3) - Wallan (W), Riddell (L), Woodend/Hesket (W), Rockbank (W) - 14-4, 3rd

Kilmore (10-4) - Lancefield (W), Romsey (L), Diggers Rest (W), Woodend/Hesket (W) - 13-4, 4th

Macedon (8-6) - Riddell (L), Rockbank (W), Lancefield (L), Broadford (W) - 10-8, 6th

Diggers Rest (7-7) - Rockbank (W), Broadford (W), Kilmore (L), Lancefield (L) - 9-9, 7th

Wallan (7-7) - Sunbury Kangaroos (L), Woodend/Hesket (W), Melton Centrals (W), Romsey (L) - 9-9, 8th

Romsey (7-7) - Melton Centrals (W), Kilmore (W), Rockbank (W), Wallan (W) - 11-7, 5th

Predicted Finals first week

1st Vs 2nd - Riddell Vs Lancefield
3rd Vs 6th - Sunbury Kangaroos Vs Macedon
4th Vs 5th - Kilmore Vs Romsey

Lets hope the sides they meet in the finals have the opinion you do and not show them any respect, like the Tigers yesterday. I do believe that Romsey found Lancefields weakness SOFTTTTTTTTT.:eek:

We arent soft, we just have heaps of injuries at present. Would love to meet you's in the finals!

The Run home from here...

Riddell (13-1) - Macedon (W), Sunbury (W), Broadford (W), Melton Centrals (W) - 17-1, 1st

Lancefield (12-2) - Kilmore (L), Melton Centrals (W), Macedon (W), Diggers Rest (W) - 15-3, 2nd

Sunbury Kangaroos (11-3) - Wallan (W), Riddell (L), Woodend/Hesket (W), Rockbank (W) - 14-4, 3rd

Kilmore (10-4) - Lancefield (W), Romsey (L), Diggers Rest (W), Woodend/Hesket (W) - 13-4, 4th

Macedon (8-6) - Riddell (L), Rockbank (W), Lancefield (L), Broadford (W) - 10-8, 6th

Diggers Rest (7-7) - Rockbank (W), Broadford (W), Kilmore (L), Lancefield (L) - 9-9, 7th

Wallan (7-7) - Sunbury Kangaroos (L), Woodend/Hesket (W), Melton Centrals (W), Romsey (L) - 9-9, 8th

Romsey (7-7) - Melton Centrals (W), Kilmore (W), Rockbank (W), Wallan (W) - 11-7, 5th

Predicted Finals first week

1st Vs 2nd - Riddell Vs Lancefield
3rd Vs 6th - Sunbury Kangaroos Vs Macedon
4th Vs 5th - Kilmore Vs Romsey

I was just working out the same results to post. I guess great minds do think alike. lol.
Really too hard to call. Every side needs to bring there A grade for the rest of way. I just think Kilmore and diggers will pinch one more win. Probably wrong but who know's

Good Post

We arent soft, we just have heaps of injuries at present. Would love to meet you's in the finals!

Dont pull the injury excuse, no one cares, Romsey have alot of injuries at the moment. One of the reasons Lancefield lost was because alot of there players were hanging out trying to get easy kicks, I seen numerous Lancefield players shirk the hard ball, SOFTTTTTTTTTTTT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back