RDFL Thread - 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sunbury 9.10. To Romsey 4.13. I would say both sides had Poor Kicking. Sunbury 4 goals 6, to 1 goal 8, after half time. :confused:

I couldn't get to the game but was able to tune in to 100.7, Its great that we have the radio available, despite what some people may think of the broadcast:thumbsu:
agree blues 12, listening in the garden with a few cold ones on a glorious spring day, good one yeendy.

Amazing atmosphere at Riddell yesterday from the 18s right through to the seniors. The senior game was the pick of the finals so far I think. The game had everything and the crowd was huge. Great advertisement for the league given the game was played on a Sunday.

Word on the streets is that Gave Langborne is to coach Wallan next season and he is bringing his best mate big bad Barry Hall and another player that played there few years back. Has anyone else heard this or am I the only one? Ha ha.

Despite some of the negativity.. Just want to say.. How good was that contest on Sunday!!! Two teams in a fantastic contest, slogging it out blow for blow until the last man was standing...

Is why I love local football........

Bowen/Ryan Medal in less that 48 hours, who are everyone's tips??

Bowen Medal:
Runner Up:
Player of the Year:
Rising Gun:
Reserves B&F:
Under 18s B&F:

Despite some of the negativity.. Just want to say.. How good was that contest on Sunday!!! Two teams in a fantastic contest, slogging it out blow for blow until the last man was standing...

Is why I love local football........

Bowen/Ryan Medal in less that 48 hours, who are everyone's tips??

Bowen Medal:
Runner Up:
Player of the Year:
Rising Gun:
Reserves B&F:
Under 18s B&F:

I can only mention the players ive seen play all year, so here is my guess for the romsey boys.

BOWEN: Brad Mitchell
Runner up: Shannon Green
PLAYER OF THE YEAR: Matt Davidson
Rising Gun: Nathan Blair
Most likely to play A.F.L: Jake Lever

I can only mention the players ive seen play all year, so here is my guess for the romsey boys.

BOWEN: Brad Mitchell
Runner up: Shannon Green
Rising Gun: Nathan Blair
Most likely to play A.F.L: Jake Lever

Very hard to choose when you dont watch every player each week. I go with Holmes for second can be done just like Broadford's captain last year.

BOWEN: Mitch Farmer
Runner up: Blake Holmes
Rising Gun: Ben Schraven
Most likely to play A.F.L: Mitch Farmer

And for team of the year i have no idea let some body else have a go there.

Very hard to choose when you dont watch every player each week. I go with Holmes for second can be done just like Broadford's captain last year.

BOWEN: Mitch Farmer
Runner up: Blake Holmes
Rising Gun: Ben Schraven
Most likely to play A.F.L: Mitch Farmer

And for team of the year i have no idea let some body else have a go there.
Farmer recieved a two week suspension.

The games were simply awesome on the weekend.. the Roos just keep proving how great they are this year's team to beat.. The Burra's fought back with a nine goal turnaround in the space of 40 minutes against the Bombers and they held on.. two sensational teams.. Saturday's game will be epic.. its really a toss of the coin and Macedon always put on a good show for football fans.. a massive well done to the Riddell guys on Sunday .. they bought foodworks out of alcohol and meat 20 times over.. they would've made a killing and there was lots of people in the rooms afterwards enjoying a few light refreshments even after we left two hours after the game.. a big well done to the Hawks.. they were sensational at Kyneton and made the second semi final very memorable.. it was nice to see a lot of Kyneton players in the stands looking on too.. its a great finals series this year on and off the field!

Word on the streets is that Gave Langborne is to coach Wallan next season and he is bringing his best mate big bad Barry Hall and another player that played there few years back. Has anyone else heard this or am I the only one? Ha ha.

Broadford believe they're a chance to get him for a few games, dependant on who takes on the coacing job, but if Wang Rovers get Gilbee up there for 2013 you'd think he'd probly stay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

list of winners from tonight's count

http://www.macedonrangesweekly.com....rests-cameron-woods-wins-bowen-medal/?cs=1214

link said:
RDFNL AWARDS
Scarborough Medal for reserves: Rhys Hannan (Diggers Rest) 25 votes from Chris Payne (Diggers Rest) 18 votes
Charles Watson Medal for under-18.5: Michael Marrett (Kilmore) tied Dylan Brosnan (Diggers Rest) 17 votes
Netball B-grade medal: Kila Elavo (Sunbury Kangaroos) 33 votes from Tracey Kay (Romsey) 28 votes
Netball C-grade medal: Breanne Lacey (Romsey) tied Hannah Reardon (Broadford) 23 votes
Steve Turner Medal for competition rising gun: Kayne Murphy (Sunbury Kangaroos)
John Karman Medal for interleague: Ben Schraven (Wallan)
Unsung Hero award: Rob Beatson
Club of the year: 1. Woodend Hesket 2. Macedon 3. Diggers Rest
Netball team of the year: Defenders - Beck Locker (Romsey), Mel Laird (Melton Centrals), Peta Probert (Diggers Rest)
Mid-court - Kelly Nicholas (Macedon), Kirrilly Gilchrist (Wallan), Kellie Down (Sunbury Kangaroos), Sarah Douglas (Broadford)
Goalers - Hope Hamilton (Romsey), Rebecca Colwell (Macedon), Yasmin McGregor (Riddell).
Football team of the year
B: Kris Marsh (DR) — Daniel Gregory (SK) — Jake Armistead (ROC)
HB: Jake Powell (SK) — John Ryan (DR) — Ben Sonogan (RI)
C: Brad Mitchell (ROM) — Cameron Woods (DR) — Chris Burkett (LA)
HF: Craig Marshall (DR) — Brent Tuckey (DR) — Mitch Farmer (ROM)
F: Jared Pretty (SK) — Matt Davidson (ROM) - Shaun Neeson (MAC)
R: Leigh Fishenden (SK) — Matt Sammut (RI) — Tierone Cuffe (SK)
Int: Shane Jacobs (KI) — Shane Bishop (SK) — Jonathon O’Brien (MEL) — Grant Wearne (BR)

A little surprised Leigh Erwin didn't get a gig in the team of the year. He's still the leagues best defender IMO just ahead of Johny Ryan. Was great tho to see dan Gregory make the side. The kid has a big future!!!! Can anyone tell us who won the player of the year award?

Matt Davidson won player of the year.

A little surprised Leigh Erwin didn't get a gig in the team of the year. He's still the leagues best defender IMO just ahead of Johny Ryan. Was great tho to see dan Gregory make the side. The kid has a big future!!!! Can anyone tell us who won the player of the year award?
On a night such as the Bowen, there is always going to be debate & suprises, like when we played Lancefield, Burket was awarded the three votes, on that day in my opinion he was the best player on the ground even though his team lost the game, BUT in the last round of the season we played Rockbank, we won by seven goals, 1 Vote Rockbank, 2 Votes Rockbank, 3 Votes Rockbank, Ladies & Gentlemen, thats what you call a surprise! Brad Mitchell was clearly BOG that day. So as you can see, there will always be debate. Anyone hear Bush & the Burbs last night on SEN interview with Adam Contessa, re Airport West V West Coburg Grand Final, half way through the second quarter W/Coburg up by 51 points and lost by 10 goals! All in brawls and player reported for kicking another player in the head, Adam was scathing towards the Tribunal & EDFL, it will be interesting to see if the EDFL act on Adam's comments.Riverting & honest interview.

It's definitely unfortunate that Leighroy didn't make the team but when you look at the fact that he played the 13 games and the others guys played pretty much all of them and had starring roles for their teams very often over the year.. its always a tough call.. as you say, as Peddo said.. you just don't know which way its going to go and realistically, with the team of the year.. the talent and depth in our competition could extend to a second side and that alone would still be hard to pick.. it goes to show that the competition is growing and attracting enormous talent.. :)

It's definitely unfortunate that Leighroy didn't make the team but when you look at the fact that he played the 13 games and the others guys played pretty much all of them and had starring roles for their teams very often over the year.. its always a tough call.. as you say, as Peddo said.. you just don't know which way its going to go and realistically, with the team of the year.. the talent and depth in our competition could extend to a second side and that alone would still be hard to pick.. it goes to show that the competition is growing and attracting enormous talent.. :)
Yes enormous talent which you my friend left out of your all star side........M.F. Fairdinkum!

have heard that for the future the league will introduce 12 separate Team of the Year line ups so that no one will miss out. (Someone will still probably complain).

Yes enormous talent which you my friend left out of your all star side........M.F. Fairdinkum!
I'd love him in my team.. can't wait to see him in action tomorrow.. he is going to be simply awesome.. I just can't wait to see the game.. both teams have won their last finals at this ground .. thinking Diggers last appearance was the extra time win over our guys back in 2006.. then we had an Essendon like effort by rebounding back from that heart ache and defeated Riddell in 2007.. Romsey won their last final there in 2009.. great game of football too! How are you feeling about this one?

I'd love him in my team.. can't wait to see him in action tomorrow.. he is going to be simply awesome.. I just can't wait to see the game.. both teams have won their last finals at this ground .. thinking Diggers last appearance was the extra time win over our guys back in 2006.. then we had an Essendon like effort by rebounding back from that heart ache and defeated Riddell in 2007.. Romsey won their last final there in 2009.. great game of football too! How are you feeling about this one?
How i feel about every game, excited, confident with respect to a very good opponent.

romvsdr.jpg

This Year:
Round 10: Romsey 15.14.104 def Diggers Rest 7.7.49

These two sides faced off on only the one occasion in 2012 and the result was a convincing 55 point win to the Redbacks at home. On that day, the Burra line up was without Brent Tuckey and Steve Ruane, whilst the Redbacks went in without Nathan Davidson and Blake Henderson. This weeks game will bear no reflection on the earlier meeting, on the large Tony Clarke Reserve, the Preliminary Final once again promises to be one of the best games of the year. The last Preliminary Final at Tony Clarke dished up an overtime victory and one of the most remembered games in recent RDFL history.

Diggers Rest - The Burra come off a game that was a Heavyweight Title Fight. Two sides that stood toe to toe and slugged it out until there was only one standing. In the end, they prevailed over the Bombers in what was so far, match of the finals series. After going 4 goals down during the early stages, it looked as though they may have been up for a straight sets exit. But the Burras fought back strong, especially the midfield and two key forwards in Brent Tuckey and Jack Sheehan, Tuckey in particular was the difference in the game as he took mark after mark and was always able to hit up a target by foot.
Postive: The Burra will have taken plenty of confidence in their ability to work themselves back into the game and take control. They have the ability to wrestle the momentum and pace of the game and make it their own, generally that is an arm wrestle with random moments of breaking the game open. Clearly the biggest positive is that the Burra now have two key forward targets, with Sheehan joining Tuckey inside the forward 50, making the Burra attacks less predictable.
Negative: How much will last weeks game have taken out of the Burra, there would certainly be some sore boys out of the contest and they would have had a few on the sidelines at training on Tuesday night. They face another ground that will likely be a bit heavy under foot this week. Also, if the Burras have lost Craig Marshall through suspension, it will leave them down an in and under midfielder which would hurt.
Key: Against a highly talented Redbacks list, the Burra have to control the tempo of the game more than ever. They need to control the pace and spot up their targets in no worse than one on one contests, if the Redbacks get a run on, the Burra will need to shut it down quickly.
Wildcard: Cole Laurie, With Tuckey and Sheehan likely to get the key forwards, "Lefty" might have to opportunity to get of the leash so to speak. Macedon is the venue that many years ago, Laurie put on a show for the crowd in the 2nd half. If he can produce something similar this week, it will go a long way to a Burra victory.

Romsey - The Redbacks come into this game off the back of being beaten, but not outplayed in the 2nd Semi Final last week. For large patches of the game, the Redbacks took it right up to the Kangaroos, but they struggled to find an option across the half forward line, where they broke down badly. This week should see the return of Cameron Dawson that will ensure the Redbacks are able to straighten up through that area of the ground. The Redbacks spent much of the first half of the ground reacting to the Kangaroos and will need to get back to playing football on instincts. They have the list most filled with talent and haven't quite showed that talent to it's full potential this year.
Postive: Despite being beaten, the Redbacks were always in the game last week, in fact, controlled large periods of the contest without putting scoreboard pressure on. In the first 10 minutes of the last quarter, it looked like the Redbacks might break the contest open, with 6 shots on goal in that period, but 4 behinds and 2 out on the full hurt, the Redbacks can turn that around, if they are able to get into the contest early with scoreboard pressure.
Negative: The Redbacks broke down across the half forward line and were unable to turn that momentum. With Dawson back, that area should be improved this week, but if not, the Redbacks need to back that they are in control and try different options if required. Burlak, Lever and Nathan Blair can all be pushed to the Half Forward line and have an impact.
Key: The Redbacks need to back their instincts, the past 4 games I have seen them, they have been reactive to what the opposition has been doing. This suggests that the players aren't focusing on what they are able to deliver. Which is an outstanding brand of football. If they sit back and react, then this game might be out of their reach.
Wildcard: Nathan Davidson - Nathan has had a quiet year to date, but is a naturally talented footballer that is capable of turning a game on it's head. An excellent mark of the ball, Davidson needs to get on the end of the midfield work more often and then back himself when kicking for goal, last week, he shanked at least 2 shots on goal, if he is able to bury an early one, the confidence should lift.

Prediction: Preliminary final 12 months ago, the Redbacks were in an arm wrestle with their opponent Riddell at 3 quarter time. Cue a last quarter avalanche and the Redbacks were on their way to the 2011 premiership. This danger for the opposition will forever be present with the list the Redbacks have on the park and the Burra will have to be on their game to ensure this kind of momentum is cut off quickly. There is no doubt that this will be a cracking contest, one that could go either way!!!
Diggers Rest by 4 points.

1903644_1_O.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back