RDFL Thread - 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should be a great match too, any thoughts on how you see it panning out gents ?

Fingers crossed I will get the time to do a bit of a preview with my thoughts this week...

He must be damn good. Like I mentioned earlier, the best player in the comp Mitch farmer didn't make your side. Ha ha. Is he having a bad year? Lmao
Hahaha, yes yes.. poor form.. I'd seen the boy play a few times and he played in different roles in both games.. barring the one player, I placed them in position .. the best that we've seen from every team this year.. not a fair representation of the best team of the year.. Mitchy is having a pretty okay year from what I hear.. has been named in the best pretty much every year so he is doing all right :p haha!

Looking forward to the big clash at Riddell Reserve on Sunday and playing a role with the Radio with OMNIPOTENT_1 and ChrisThaLedg

Important game for both of these sides, effectively the winner will claim the all important 3rd spot at the end of the year.
Both sides go into the game in ripping form, the Bombers have seen the return of several injured stars over recent weeks and are looking far improved on what we saw early in the season, with some games under the belt of those players now, they will surely continue to improve in the coming weeks.
The Roos have been dominant of recent times, highlighted by the smacking they gave Centrals last week, they have a very balanced list across the ground and seem to have been able to find a way to be more dangerous with their use of the ball going forward if the scoreboard of recent weeks tells us anything.

It's going to be a huge contest!!!

Tip: Sunbury Kangaroos by 5 points.

Looking forward to the big clash at Riddell Reserve on Sunday and playing a role with the Radio with OMNIPOTENT_1 and ChrisThaLedg

Important game for both of these sides, effectively the winner will claim the all important 3rd spot at the end of the year.
Both sides go into the game in ripping form, the Bombers have seen the return of several injured stars over recent weeks and are looking far improved on what we saw early in the season, with some games under the belt of those players now, they will surely continue to improve in the coming weeks.
The Roos have been dominant of recent times, highlighted by the smacking they gave Centrals last week, they have a very balanced list across the ground and seem to have been able to find a way to be more dangerous with their use of the ball going forward if the scoreboard of recent weeks tells us anything.

It's going to be a huge contest!!!

Tip: Sunbury Kangaroos by 5 points.
Why the important 3rd spot? i would have thought they would be aiming at second or 1st?

Why the important 3rd spot? i would have thought they would be aiming at second or 1st?

Not sure either of these sides can finish 1st or 2nd.. Therefore, aiming for 3rd is the logical choice ;)

3rd is a great result - especially if 6 is weak. Win in week 1 and you have the double chance and 2 chances to play in the Grand Final. 1 or 2 lose and they are back playing Elimination finals each week.

1st beats 2nd and 3rd beats 6th = 1st and 3st are in exactly the same position even though 3 has had a much easy 1st up game.

3rd is a great result - especially if 6 is weak. Win in week 1 and you have the double chance and 2 chances to play in the Grand Final. 1 or 2 lose and they are back playing Elimination finals each week.

1st beats 2nd and 3rd beats 6th = 1st and 3st are in exactly the same position even though 3 has had a much easy 1st up game.
So your saying our system is floored, is that correct? your saying if you finish 3rd you get the easy game against the 6th side then the double chance once you have knocked them out, like Sunbury did last year? with our system you are penalized for finishing 1st or second, as those two sides face off in the first final, is that how the AFL works?

So your saying our system is floored, is that correct? your saying if you finish 3rd you get the easy game against the 6th side then the double chance once you have knocked them out, like Sunbury did last year? with our system you are penalized for finishing 1st or second, as those two sides face off in the first final, is that how the AFL works?

I think the final 6 system as an overall is fundamentally flawed, so yes.

100% flawed The AFL never ran their final series like the way the RDFL does.

And what if 3rd is beaten in an upset - that opens the door for the 5th place team. They win their 1st final and then handed the double chance and 2 chances to play in the Grand Final. Lots of holes in the system.

100% flawed The AFL never ran their final series like the way the RDFL does.

And what if 3rd is beaten in an upset - that opens the door for the 5th place team. They win their 1st final and then handed the double chance and 2 chances to play in the Grand Final. Lots of holes in the system.

The AFL used the first final 6 McIntyre system in 1991, which was 1 vs 2, 3 vs 4 and 5 vs 6. The issue there was that the 4th place side faced a tougher game than the 5th placed side in an elimination.
The AFL used the second final 6 McIntyre system in 1992, which is the system that the RDFL now uses. They changed to a final 8 in 1994.

So the AFL DID run their finals series EXACTLY like the RDFL does, which is the same as the Ballarat FL runs theirs.

The RDFL finals series is currently under review for the 2013 season.

The AFL used the first final 6 McIntyre system in 1991, which was 1 vs 2, 3 vs 4 and 5 vs 6. The issue there was that the 4th place side faced a tougher game than the 5th placed side in an elimination.
The AFL used the second final 6 McIntyre system in 1992, which is the system that the RDFL now uses. They changed to a final 8 in 1994.

So the AFL DID run their finals series EXACTLY like the RDFL does, which is the same as the Ballarat FL runs theirs.

Well if the Ballarat FL runs it that way, then it must be 100% right!

Thats right - Pies finished 3rd - equal on points with 1st - and was knocked out by Saints 6th!! WCE 4th won in the 1st week then got the double chance and went onto to win the flag. LOL - poor Pies!!

As for the Ballarat - Redan president at a Grand Final speech said his team at the start of the year had a goal of finishing 3rd. They finished 3rd and went onto win the flag. If teams are aiming for 3rd then it is not a good system. Also the BFL use home finals for highest ranked teams.

Final 5 is still the best but it reduces the amount of finals played.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well if the Ballarat FL runs it that way, then it must be 100% right!

Haha.. Wasn't my point slyone, but anyways.. The RDFL finals series and qualifications are currently under review, hopefully, whatever decision is taken will be the correctly balanced one for our league.

RDFL Finals series under review? Now that is a good thing. Hopefully common sense prevails and they return to a top 5 which is perfect set up especially for 12 teams. Would like to see them change the way they allocate finals to so that all clubs get a chance to make a buck out of it.

Thats right - Pies finished 3rd - equal on points with 1st - and was knocked out by Saints 6th!! WCE 4th won in the 1st week then got the double chance and went onto to win the flag. LOL - poor Pies!!

As for the Ballarat - Redan president at a Grand Final speech said his team at the start of the year had a goal of finishing 3rd. They finished 3rd and went onto win the flag. If teams are aiming for 3rd then it is not a good system. Also the BFL use home finals for highest ranked teams.

Final 5 is still the best but it reduces the amount of finals played.

I think a 6 can still be used, it's just a matter of how you balance it out. My personal preference is that 1st and 2nd get the week off in the first week and play off for a GF spot. The issue there, and it's only an issue dependent on the clubs, is that if you win that game you end up with 2 weeks off out of the 3 leading up to the GF. But if you finish first in the final 5 scenario, the same situation arises if you win your first final in week 2.

Although using Collingwood failures as an argument against will never get us far :p

What do all the contributors in here think about if your team finished top 2 if you got the week off? Then if you won the GF qualifier (2nd Semi) having another week off before the GF. Keep in mind, this would also happen in the Top 5 scenario.

RDFL Finals series under review? Now that is a good thing. Hopefully common sense prevails and they return to a top 5 which is perfect set up especially for 12 teams. Would like to see them change the way they allocate finals to so that all clubs get a chance to make a buck out of it.

I think the clubs overall are pretty happy with a top 6 set up..

I think a 6 can still be used, it's just a matter of how you balance it out. My personal preference is that 1st and 2nd get the week off in the first week and play off for a GF spot. The issue there, and it's only an issue dependent on the clubs, is that if you win that game you end up with 2 weeks off out of the 3 leading up to the GF. But if you finish first in the final 5 scenario, the same situation arises if you win your first final in week 2.

Although using Collingwood failures as an argument against will never get us far :p

What do all the contributors in here think about if your team finished top 2 if you got the week off? Then if you won the GF qualifier (2nd Semi) having another week off before the GF. Keep in mind, this would also happen in the Top 5 scenario.

Sorry can you break the whole thing down - 1 & 2 bye - 3 V 6 and 4 v5? Losers out winners play who?
Would this system also reduce the final series by 1 game?

Would the RDFL consider home ground advantage - then there is reward for final finishing positions.

Final 6 throws up a few inequities. Finishing 3rd you ought to be good enough to beat 6th, then you play winner of 1st and 2nd, win that you deserve to make the Grand Final. Like last year 2nd placed team were soundly beaten 2 weeks in a row, don't think they earnt the right to be in GF. 3rd isn't a bad spot to finish, but personaly I wouldn't aim to finish there.

Teams playing big finals at home gives them an unfair advantage too, this also happened last year.

My thoughts are that you can only play with the cards you're dealt, depending on where you finish. List management, injuries, form and a little bit of luck will them determine where you eventually end up.

Sorry can you break the whole thing down - 1 & 2 bye - 3 V 6 and 4 v5? Losers out winners play who?
Would this system also reduce the final series by 1 game?

Would the RDFL consider home ground advantage - then there is reward for final finishing positions.

Yep.

Week 1
Game A - 3rd Vs 6th
Game B - 4th Vs 5th
1st and 2nd have a bye

Week 2
Game C - 1st Vs 2nd
Game D - Winner Game A Vs Winner Game B

Week 3
Game E - Loser Game C Vs Winner Game D

Week 4
Game F - Winner Game C Vs Winner Game E.

The home ground advantage one is a tough one, again it goes back to the clubs, I believe these set ups have been offered in the past with the clubs suggesting they might not have the manpower to run these games.

I would think Collingwood would be the perfect team for an example, or would the Bombers be more to your liking?

I would think Collingwood would be the perfect team for an example, or would the Bombers be more to your liking?

Not if it is about the Pies being screwed over, that could only be a positive :D

Yep.

Week 1
Game A - 3rd Vs 6th
Game B - 4th Vs 5th
1st and 2nd have a bye

Week 2
Game C - 1st Vs 2nd
Game D - Winner Game A Vs Winner Game B

Week 3
Game E - Loser Game C Vs Winner Game D

Week 4
Game F - Winner Game C Vs Winner Game E.

The home ground advantage one is a tough one, again it goes back to the clubs, I believe these set ups have been offered in the past with the clubs suggesting they might not have the manpower to run these games.

Much better system - only problem the RDFL may have is that they lose 1 final this way - same amount of finals as if they went to a final 5.

Much better system - only problem the RDFL may have is that they lose 1 final this way - same amount of finals as if they went to a final 5.

That's true, but the final on the first day is a split gate anyway, not sure that it would have a huge financial impact as people would still likely attend the fixtured game on the day.

Im loving my time back in the Rdfl, alot of things have impressed me plenty hasn't. Ive waited a while to write just waited till we played all teams
Romsey
Well drilled team they have Midfield class and mids that kick goals. Erwin in defence is vital Davo up forward is the key shut him own i reckon u pretty much have em. I think the major worry is Pace through the midfield. I expect them to be the Grand finalist

Diggers Rest
As always a well Oranized team who work well together. Sims n Ruane look short of pace n spring. Tuckeys dominance in the air stood out, teams need to find away to stop him.

Riddell
Not the riddell of old & going through change still doing well considering Alot of players looked underdone when we played em. Pace was a real Concern

Wallan
Have good potential, seemed a young team. Barber stood out presented well, Collis drifted in and out of game, Needs a work ethic. Wallan have the best Scorers set up

Woodend
Love what hopkins is doing i guess supporters have to patient. In time i hope they can play some good footy. They might need to recruit some experiance to help the youth.

Broadford
We played them round 1 and there lack of dicipline stood out. Webb impressed so did some of thier netballers. Dam Fine!!!:D
Kilmore
After not netting thier big fish in the pre season things have went downhill. Don't seem to play well together with onfield arguing a major worry. Tough Road Ahead

Rockbank
Rely to much on home ground so negative tactics come out. Gotta find a game plan that encourages Attacking. Zerfa and Kennedy didn't play when we played em

Melton
Not Fit enough, to slow no 18's doesn't help. Bullen refusing to man up hurts the team. Coach shows good enthusiasm, players just can't repond

Macedon
Endevour was good but lacked Quality Wright looked slower than when i saw him last play. Azza looked rusty have a good 18's so future is good

Lancefield
Since we smashed em they havn't look back. Aquiring some Quality players has them improvng which is good Baker & Burkett very important

Finals system is wrong teams shouldn't want to finish 3rd, its just wrong

Sunbury Kangaroos
I expect us to not lose anymore finish top and go all the way. its abit biased but the team is improving every week and with the Quality mids, Stingy D, Plenty of talls and loads of goalkickers. I think this squad has the smarts to know what i takes to get the job done.

Go Kanga

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back