RDFNL 2020 Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

You don’t think this is a loaded question? Accusing the league of “continuing” to sit on their hands! You’re not really asking a question are you? More of an accusation!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Was that in my original question or was a smart arse response to the answer I got?

You don’t think this is a loaded question? Accusing the league of “continuing” to sit on their hands! You’re not really asking a question are you? More of an accusation!

Depends on how you read into the Question but the point of the question asked is not a new point raised in actual fact it’s been a discussion over many years.

I think we'll know more about the landscape in four weeks time .. and this goes for all sport in the country .. it's changing day by day and from what we're seeing on a National scale .. things are improving and going as well as they should .. as long as we keep up what we're doing .. in four weeks time things will be more clearer..
We would ideally from our end, like players to return to the courts in July.. as an organisation, we're doing all that we can to prepare our Squash centres the best we can, so that when the doors open.. everyone is ready to go .. same with RDFNL clubs .. we're seeing a lot of great community engagement online.. uniting the club culture .. as long as that is thriving.. when the doors open, it will be big for everyone.

I genuinely believe that when players are permitted to return to the training track and on match day.. forget money .. it's about the friendships .. I see people playing for the love of it (for the most part) and fans flocking in big numbers.. sport brings people together and that's what we're all missing at the moment.

Yea, I know that's right, but still... :)
I reckon we will play, maybe it’s just hope but 3 new cases over the past 2 days in Victoria has to raise some optimism for what we could look like in 6-8 weeks time. There deffinitely will be restrictions but you can already see the potential of the positive mental health component being pushed.

Let's look at this a different way. A more simplistic way.

In WA the number of active cases has dropped from 297 cases a week ago to 112 today. SA currently has 77 and Victoria has 125. On most days, the number of new cases is being dwarfed by the number of people who have fully recovered. The number of active cases in Victoria has decreased from almost 600 just a fortnight ago to just 20% of that figure today.

If we get to zero active cases and it remains that way (or extremely close to zero) over a specified period of say 2-3 weeks, it means that life can return to normal within state borders with very few restrictions. Here in WA, we have an advantage as we cannot cross the border and it is proving to be of great benefit.

Just think, with zero active cases in your state you can have shops open again, you can return to work, you can have family get togethers again, you can go camping in the country again and you can also have adult and junior sport back again with minimal (if any) restrictions imposed.

People should be striving to ensure that their state reaches the target of ZERO active cases as quickly as possible by simply doing the right thing for a few more weeks. Grassroots sport will then be possible in a coronavirus case-free environment.

#TargetZero

Vic covid.jpg

Last edited:

In WA the number of active cases has dropped from 297 cases a week ago to 112 today. SA currently has 77 and Victoria has 125. On most days, the number of new cases is being dwarfed by the number of people who have fully recovered. The number of active cases in Victoria has decreased from almost 600 just a fortnight ago to just 20% of that figure today.

If we get to zero active cases and it remains that way (or extremely close to zero) over a specified period of sayv2-3 weeks, it means that life can return to normal within state borders with very few restrictions. Here in WA, we have an advantage as we cannot cross the border and it is proving to be of great benefit.

Just think, with zero active cases in your state you can have shops open again, you can return to work, you can have family get togethers again, you can go camping in the country again and you can also have adult and junior sport back again with minimal (if any) restrictions imposed.

People should be striving to ensure that their state reaches the target of ZERO active cases as quickly as possible by simply doing the right thing for a few more weeks. Grassroots sport will then be possible in a coronavirus case-free environment.

#TargetZero

View attachment 860976

I agree 100%

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we get to zero active cases and it remains that way (or extremely close to zero) over a specified period of say 2-3 weeks, it means that life can return to normal within state borders with very few restrictions. Here in WA, we have an advantage as we cannot cross the border and it is proving to be of great benefit.

#TargetZero

View attachment 860976

The only flaw in that arguement is the people out there carrying it who are well and just don't know it. They almost have to test us all to claim zero. To be honest, as much as I'm missing the footy, getting businesses that are restricted back up and running is a bigger priority.

The only flaw in that arguement is the people out there carrying it who are well and just don't know it. They almost have to test us all to claim zero. To be honest, as much as I'm missing the footy, getting businesses that are restricted back up and running is a bigger priority.
i don’t disagree business must be the first priority but the mental health cost must be taken into account.
The economy will struggle for a few years unemployment will rise, people need something in their lives, a distraction from their day to day worries. For many sport provides this.
It would be a horrible job deciding what restrictions will be lifted and what will remain in place.

i don’t disagree business must be the first priority but the mental health cost must be taken into account.
The economy will struggle for a few years unemployment will rise, people need something in their lives, a distraction from their day to day worries. For many sport provides this.
It would be a horrible job deciding what restrictions will be lifted and what will remain in place.
Agreed. Scomo, Dan Andrews etc can have it. I get the mental health issues and they are going to be extreme, but I just can't see how a close contact sport like football can restart when they are demanding 1.5m social distancing to remain in other aspects of life and ceasing people's ability to earn a living as a result of that policy. Until that policy changes, it'll only be sports that allow for that social distancing that will be able to be played. I really don't see a 2020 season possible.

A thought i have with covid would be to fix one of the gripes i have always had about this fantastic league is the start times of games.

I think itd be a fantastic time to push games back to a later time slot eg seniors start at 2:30 or even later and ressies start later than usual like leagues including BFL and MCDFNL instead of the 1:45 timeslot. This would allow blokes to work more on a saturday than having to pick between work and footy. It also allows supporters the chance to work on a saturday and still able to get to the footy. I no alot of people dont go to the RDFL seniors games that could go if it was at a later timeslot due to work in melbourne on a saturday.

Correct me if im wrong, i have never seen any league start seniors games so early in the day. I no the difference between Riddell and Gisborne for example. Riddell games are finished halfway thru a 3rd qtr senior game at Gisborne. I can watch a full game of RDFL and still drive to watch the last qtr of Gissy. Play the games later i say.

Remove this Banner Ad

RDFNL 2020 Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back