RDFNL 2024 Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Plenty of options for finals now.

Romsey, Kyneton, Diggers, Woodend, Wallan & Riddell.

Football wise, yes Kyneton would be a great venue.

Netball though is no good.

I’m sticking with Romsey for the GF.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Macedon and Lancefield also. Plenty of fantastic venues in the RDFL i must say. Beautiful country footy grounds with great atmosphere

On the topic of grounds i read something on here about Diggers Rest having a new ground? Do they no longer play on that small one that i can remember? Haven't been out there for a few years.

On the topic of grounds i read something on here about Diggers Rest having a new ground? Do they no longer play on that small one that i can remember? Haven't been out there for a few years.

There's a whole new development out there. AFL size oval on the other side to the main ground.

One thing rdfl has on its side is apart from all the towns albeit melton and wallan are beautiful
The towns are growing and the facilities are great.
Think the league was on its knees 4-5 years ago. Think it will gain Afew sides over the next 3 years. With Afew silly sides leaving wanting back in

One thing rdfl has on its side is apart from all the towns albeit melton and wallan are beautiful
Think the league was on its knees 4-5 years ago. Think it will gain Afew sides over the next 3 years. With Afew silly sides leaving wanting back in
Wallan isnt too bad, at least it has a bit of a country feel to it, more than Diggers and Melton. Would be good to see Rupo and Sunbury kangas back within the next 5 years or so and who knows that may attract more

On SM-G970F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wallan isnt too bad, at least it has a bit of a country feel to it, more than Diggers and Melton. Would be good to see Rupo and Sunbury kangas back within the next 5 years or so and who knows that may attract more

I think Kilmore should have still been in the rdfl yes they were struggling but 10 mins up the road from wallan 20 mins from lancefield and if broadford were still around there’s a few local games

In time hopefully they would have improved but going to div 3 in the nfnl has seemed to rejuvenate them

Why any club would want out of the RDFNL in favour of suburban footy is beyond me

Why any club would want out of the RDFNL in favour of suburban footy is beyond me
Not sure for Rupos reasonings to head for EDFL but the Kangaroos left because the club thought RDFL wasnt looking stable. When there was talk of going to divisions with Goldfeilds that was the biggest one. EDFL had been eying off sunbury teams for a while and got into talks with Al Walters. The club was also struggling for netballers. Our women's were already in EDFL also. The club made the move and the rest is history. I think if they had of held on for a year or so longer the move wouldnt of happened. I love the RDFL and would love to see the Kangas come back, but being in the EDFL hasn't exactly been a bad thing for the club.

Not sure for Rupos reasonings to head for EDFL but the Kangaroos left because the club thought RDFL wasnt looking stable. When there was talk of going to divisions with Goldfeilds that was the biggest one. EDFL had been eying off sunbury teams for a while and got into talks with Al Walters. The club was also struggling for netballers. Our women's were already in EDFL also. The club made the move and the rest is history. I think if they had of held on for a year or so longer the move wouldnt of happened. I love the RDFL and would love to see the Kangas come back, but being in the EDFL hasn't exactly been a bad thing for the club.

With the greatest respect there was no chance of divisions within goldfields at that time. The reviews had been completed and direction decided well before Kangaroos made that call. In fact a single division with familiar teams was likely a selling point given to Kangaroos for staying.

Netball and vague mutterings of instability are either convenient distractions or poorly researched reasons for leaving. That’s not even to say it was the wrong decision just that those reasons don’t stack up.

With the greatest respect there was no chance of divisions within goldfields at that time. The reviews had been completed and direction decided well before Kangaroos made that call. In fact a single division with familiar teams was likely a selling point given to Kangaroos for staying.

Netball and vague mutterings of instability are either convenient distractions or poorly researched reasons for leaving. That’s not even to say it was the wrong decision just that those reasons don’t stack up.
Both clubs have learnt that the grass isn’t always greener, metro football very different and if you can’t keep the bank account healthy then you basically won’t compete.

I'm only going by what I remember being mentioned in the meeting we had at the club when it was time to vote. I was one of the very few that voted against the move. Divisions, struggling netball numbers and a few other little things were the main topic. I think if we could go back in time the result of the meeting would've been much different mate. Once all the guys in the top end of the club wanted to leave for the "messiah" of local leagues they were going to do everything they could to make it happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both clubs have learnt that the grass isn’t always greener, metro football very different and if you can’t keep the bank account healthy then you basically won’t compete.
Yep. We learnt the hard way after winning the flag in 2019. Most of those guys up and left leaving us in a prick of a spot and leaving a huge job for Leigh Sporle to try and fix. We don't have alot of juniors coming up (most arent interested in edfl just yet) so recruitment will be on the cards most years.

Yep. We learnt the hard way after winning the flag in 2019. Most of those guys up and left leaving us in a prick of a spot and leaving a huge job for Leigh Sporle to try and fix. We don't have alot of juniors coming up (most arent interested in edfl just yet) so recruitment will be on the cards most years.

That’s the biggest problem with divisional footy the amount of guys who aren’t willing to test themselves at the next level…. Happens at most clubs that win a flag

At the end of the day Sunbury kangas were slowly sliding down the ladder in the rdfl

Coming to the edfl the club snagged two flags

That’s the biggest problem with divisional footy the amount of guys who aren’t willing to test themselves at the next level…. Happens at most clubs that win a flag

At the end of the day Sunbury kangas were slowly sliding down the ladder in the rdfl

Coming to the edfl the club snagged two flags
I also agree with that. But we've only won one, unless you can see into the future

You one the 1’s and 2’s in your first year

I was there had a lot of mates playing in the game for the other mob

Jamie cuffe pretty much single handedly won that twos flag
Thought you just meant the seniors lol my bad. Yep Jamie had been a warhorse for a long time. I still remember him taking that big mark at lancefeild and kicking it forward towards Meacham and the goal after the siren. Those were the days mate.

Last edited:
Thought you just meant the seniors lol my bad. Yep Jamie had been a warhorse for a long time. I still remember him talking that big mark at lancefeild and kicking it forward towards Meacham and the goal after the siren. Those were the days mate.

Yeah best ending to an rdfl gf I can remember

The other was when lancefield knocked over Romsey some old lancefield bloke would have been at least 80 years old was giving it to Gary moorcroft after the game and moorcroft had to be held back from belting an 80 year old lol

I reckon rdfl should try and tempt Trentham

Yeah wallan is like melton was 15 years ago. I live in a town of 1000 people so I struggle with any sort of hustle and bustle now 😂

Yeah I reckon Sunbury kangas and Kilmore should come back. Also Broadford if they get there sh.t together and if the league lets them.
I think trentham should come over.

I reckon rdfl should try and tempt Trentham

Yeah wallan is like melton was 15 years ago. I live in a town of 1000 people so I struggle with any sort of hustle and bustle now

Yeah I reckon Sunbury kangas and Kilmore should come back. Also Broadford if they get there sh.t together and if the league lets them.
I think trentham should come over.

Wallan would beat Trentham by 35 goals

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Lancefield is a bit of a dump in my opinion played there a few years ago and thought some money is Badly needed to be spent on facilities

My understanding is Lancefield have been applying for change room upgrades with the local council which makes sense.

Romsey and Woodend have already been the beneficiary of this and Macedon are next in line.

The key with getting changeroom upgrades is to field female sides either in the juniors or seniors and it really helps push the need to refurbish them up to current day standards.

With Lancefield getting a senior women’s side in 2024 they are following what other sides in the shire have done and hopefully in time will get the amenities up to speed with the rest of the league.

Would East Sunbury be interested in moving to the league?

Seems like whoever moves back into the RDFL first between East Sunbury, Rupertswood and Sunbury Kangaroos will get a leg up on the others.

Castlemaine would be a good shout as it looks like Kyneton will be a big success for the league. No doubt they’ll be watching their neighbours down the round in 2024 and could look to follow knowing they don’t need to outlay as much to be competitive in the league.

Kyneton playing with 26 player points on Good Friday shows a very sustainable approach and from all reports they’ll be a top 3 side.
Unfortunately the same approach would be much more difficult on field in the Bendigo League.

Would East Sunbury be interested in moving to the league?

Seems like whoever moves back into the RDFL first between East Sunbury, Rupertswood and Sunbury Kangaroos will get a leg up on the others.

Castlemaine would be a good shout as it looks like Kyneton will be a big success for the league. No doubt they’ll be watching their neighbours down the round in 2024 and could look to follow knowing they don’t need to outlay as much to be competitive in the league.

Kyneton playing with 26 player points on Good Friday shows a very sustainable approach and from all reports they’ll be a top 3 side.
Unfortunately the same approach would be much more difficult on field in the Bendigo League.
I would have thought that East Sunbury were ripe for the picking for the RDFL when they couldn’t get a team up in 2022 I thought last year they would come across but they didn’t. I have played in the EDFL and I didn’t enjoy it at all. I don’t no what the fascination is personally, the better you get the more money you need to be competitive the more you step up. Rupo looked like they could have nearly made it to premier but once you get to premier you have to spend $50 grand more to stay competitive without no gate sales and 10 people from the opposition coming to watch you.

Remove this Banner Ad

RDFNL 2024 Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back