RDFNL 2024 Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

If I wasn't going to the div 2 ressies GF next week at Windy Hill I'd be travelling up to Kyneton. What a cracking game it will be. Hopefully whoever wins is able to keep up with Riddell the following week to make an awesome GF.

On SM-G970F using BigFooty.com mobile app

They're an exciting young side. Should be a beauty.

Reckon the league would be wiping there hands together after todays results

Kyneton makes a 19s prelim - looking at how many supporters travelled today, you would there they will have even more turn up next week to a home prelim which will be massive. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a big huddle at 3tr time for an under 19s game than the Kyneton faithful today.

Diggers upsetting Riddell in the twos meaning, the Diggers faithful will turn all attention to a reserves prelim and we know they travel to support.

Macedon keeping their dream alive - you would think they will turn up in the masses as well.

You would think the Kyneton 19s were quietly cheering home Macedon in the seniors today.
With 10 of todays senior side eligible to go back to the 19s, it would be fair to assume now this will make it a much more entertaining prelim final to kick off the day next week.

If the weather gods are good to us, could we get a bigger crowd than what was as the Showgrounds Good Friday?

You would think the Kyneton 19s were quietly cheering home Macedon in the seniors today.
With 10 of todays senior side eligible to go back to the 19s, it would be fair to assume now this will make it a much more entertaining prelim final to kick off the day next week.
What? so 10 of that team can play in the 19s still?

i dont know if thats more a story of how does a group of kids beat diggers grown men today or how well macedon 19s kept in the game yesterday morning if they were 10 short of there best team.

What? so 10 of that team can play in the 19s still?

i dont know if thats more a story of how does a group of kids beat diggers grown men today or how well macedon 19s kept in the game yesterday morning if they were 10 short of there best team.
Correct - on average this year Macedon have been playing 9-11 under 19.5s in their senior side, however ensured that they all played there 4 x 19.5s games to qualify for finals should the seniors have missed out.

Am hearing Gisborne Giants are going hard at 3-4 of them so will be interesting to see if they can hold onto all of them in 2025

Correct - on average this year Macedon have been playing 9-11 under 19.5s in their senior side, however ensured that they all played there 4 x 19.5s games to qualify for finals should the seniors have missed out.

Am hearing Gisborne Giants are going hard at 3-4 of them so will be interesting to see if they can hold onto all of them in 2025

They're playing with max points too 42/43.

so the new club is throwing money at 17yo kids from a rival club. the off season sounds interesting then. character of person and gratitude on opportunity given will be on full display. just love where local footy is going ha ha.
watching them yesterday morning there key defender who tried all day against multiple players and 1-2 others. no7 blonde winger I think and maybe no25 in the middle looked quite capable the rest ran around like one dimensional junior footballers still.

Last edited:

Cooke, Hay, Ferguson, Lynch, Thorburn, Wills, Rutledge, and Barham from what I can see in today’s team. Not sure they all played 4 games of 19.5.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

so the new club is throwing money at 17yo kids from a rival club. the off season sounds interesting then. character of person and gratitude on opportunity given will be on full display. just love where local footy is going ha ha.
watching them yesterday morning there key defender who tried all day against multiple players and 1-2 others. no7 blonde winger I think and maybe no25 in the middle looked quite capable the rest ran around like one dimensional junior footballers still.

So how much $ are giants going to have to spend to recruit 30 players ? If they do it by the book they finish bottom first 3 seasons

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cooke, Hay, Ferguson, Lynch, Thorburn, Rutledge, and Barham from what I can see in today’s team. Not sure they can go back though would have thought playing 15 or so senior games makes them ineligible.
Only need to play 4 19s game to qualify, doesn’t matter how many seniors

Cooke
Hay
Rutledge
Thorburn
Barham
Lynch
Ferguson
Wills
Tom Indian ( hasn’t qualified)
And apologies I thought Tate Wilson was named - but looks like he played yesterday

So total of 9 under 19.5s in the side with 8 eligible to go back to should Macedon lose in the seniors next week but win in 19.5s

Cooke, Hay, Ferguson, Lynch, Thorburn, Rutledge, and Barham from what I can see in today’s team.

i asked at romsey yesterday to my friends son if any play at calder or in the melbourne Private schools comps. he said no and gave what sounded like a strange take as to why so if someone knows who is or why not. plenty of our EDFL kids get looks depending on which club or which club cannons coache’s are from where. if your kids are that good how can not one be any good enough for a crack.

genuine question now. how did they actually win today if they are as young.

Tom Rutledge is on the Bendigo Pioneers list and is a 4 pointer as he left Kyneton two years ago.

There are a fair few who are 2/3 pointers as well so I assume Macedon has gotten them across from Gisborne Giants with the selling point being able to play senior footy this year

Assume the Giants would be trying to get back the ones they have lost previously.

If they were all to stick around for the next 5 years you would assume they would be very hard to beat, but chances are a few will move on when $$ are thrown in front of them
i asked at romsey yesterday to my friends son if any play at calder or in the melbourne Private schools comps. he said no and gave what sounded like a strange take as to why so if someone knows who is or why not. plenty of our EDFL kids get looks depending on which club or which club cannons coache’s are from where. if your kids are that good how can not one be any good enough for a crack.

Tom Rutledge is on the Bendigo Pioneers list and is a 4 pointer as he left Kyneton two years ago.

There are a fair few who are 2/3 pointers as well so I assume Macedon has gotten them across from Gisborne Giants with the selling point being able to play senior footy this year

Assume the Giants would be trying to get back the ones they have lost previously.

If they were all to stick around for the next 5 years you would assume they would be very hard to beat, but chances are a few will move on when $$ are thrown in front of them

Cooke & Hay from Sunbury.

Indian whittlesea/Hurstbridge

Rutledge Kyneton

The rest I’m fairly certain are Macedon juniors.

None from the Giants.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Pretty sure Rutledge is Bendigo zoned, couple were close at Cannons the last few years and most involved at Cannons in the 16 age group.

Playing in a dominant 17s team in a weak RDJFL would have impacted how they were viewed and to an extent their growth as players.

Not sure on Indian as he is not from the area.

Looked at the RDFL operations manual and found that it is only 4 games to qualify.

Checked Play HQ and not all have played 4 games unless the inter league 19s count. Either way it is impressive how they have transitioned into senior football.

Not sure they should choose to play in a 19s GF if that eventuates but that competition is already compromised with how the Giants team has been formed.

Not sure they should choose to play in a 19s GF if that eventuates but that competition is already compromised with how the Giants team has been formed.
if any of them are tall kids they may need them. because of the tallest 5 or 6 players in that giants forward line yesterday only one wore a macedon jumper i rekon.

Even if Macedon snrs are not playing anyone who has played 4 19s can drop back? even if they have played 14 snr games???

As long as you’ve played the 4 19s games to qualify for 19s finals, it doesn’t matter how many senior games you play, You can go back. Eg: Gus Nolte at Kyneton played all year in 1s. but has qualified & played 19s yesterday.
The rule was changed a few years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

RDFNL 2024 Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back