List Mgmt. Re-Signing Jake Lever

For the last time, do you think Jake Lever will re-sign with Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I said a number of weeks ago that Collingwood was going hard for him. He is seen a a missing peice of the puzzle.

Collingwood's problem is they've got a 50 piece puzzle and only 20-odd pieces, most of which are middle pieces.

Jake may provide an edge piece, but that isn't much use without any other edge pieces to connect to.

Tom brown reporting pies now could be willing to offer a mil a year.
Can't blame him for leaving, can't blame the crows for letting him leave
Playing Collingwood this week, media reports Collingwood have put in an offer.

He may end up at Port.....we play them after the Pies.

Will bet there will be some interest from Essendon in the week before we play them.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Anyone else find it amusing that Jake gets all this pressure and attention heaped upon him, yet McGovern squeaks by without much spoken about his contract negotiations.

I wonder if it's because Jake is from Melbourne, has a regular radio spot (so the contract is often talked about in the media) or something else? I mean, have a look at the length of this thread vs the McGovern one.

Anyone else find it amusing that Jake gets all this pressure and attention heaped upon him, yet McGovern squeaks by without much spoken about his contract negotiations.

I wonder if it's because Jake is from Melbourne, has a regular radio spot (so the contract is often talked about in the media) or something else? I mean, have a look at the length of this thread vs the McGovern one.

Got it in one.

All footy media is insular, most of it is in Melbourne

"
AFL million-dollar-defender-in-waiting Jake Lever has indicated cash won’t shape his decision on where he plays in 2018, and says the delay in his contract talks with Adelaide should not be cause for alarm at West Lakes.

Lever, heir to Richmond’s Alex Rance’s throne as the league’s premier key defender and intercept king, has an approximate market value of $800,000 a year.

Melbourne, Western Bulldogs, Collingwood and Hawthorn are understood to be lining up with five-year deals as clubs prepare to pay big money for stars.

Richmond’s Dustin Martin could earn up to $6m in a six year deal at Punt Rd as club coffers are swelled by a 20 per cent increase in the salary cap following completion of the AFL’s pay deal.

But Lever says no negotiations will be ramped up until manager Ned Guy returns from holidays and is in “no hurry” to commit to the Crows, who selected the 195cm defender with pick 14 at the 2014 national draft.

Not signing by finals eve shouldn’t spook Crows fans, who have seen stars Patrick Dangerfield, Kurt Tippett and Jack Gunston leave in recent years.

“Don’t believe all the stats,” said Lever in relation to players leaving clubs when not signed by Round 18.

Melbourne legend Garry Lyon rates Lever a $1 million commodity.

Adding the 21-yyear-old would arguably launch the Demons to frontline premiership favouritism in 2018.

Lever’s father also is a friend of Bulldogs list manager Jason McCartney.

Adelaide list manager Justin Reid is under pressure find salary cap space to allow him to pay the defender’s price but Lever says it will be a two way discussion

Adelaide skipper Taylor Walker refrained from pursuing a pay increase in committing to the club until 2021 in the hope off-contract pair Mitch McGovern and Lever can be retained at West Lakes.

“I don’t think it is that. We just have to work through a few things and the big thing is when my manager gets back we will be able to talk,” Lever told Radio FiveAA, having previously pointed to collective bargaining agreement negotiations as delaying contract negotiations.

“It’s basically in the same position that it was two weeks ago. My manager is away and gets back in the coming weeks and we will work through things.”

Whether Lever — averaging 16.4 touches per game this season — leaves or remains at West Lakes, he’s indebted to 308-game club stalwart and locker neighbour Scott Thompson, who will retire at season’s end.

“I was privileged to sit next to him nearly every day since I have been here. He is such a loveable character. You look at his preparation and the way he attacks training,” said Lever.

“He has played 308 games and I have played 40, so (I’m) just amazed at how resilient he has been.”

Notice there is nothing from Jake about working with the club, or wanting to stay here.
Interesting there is a suggestion that money wont shape his decision.

Defenders don't get much personal glory. He will never win a Brownlow, AFLPA MVP or Coleman Medal. The only award I can thi K of is the "Golden Fist" from Bounce.

By that reckoning a defender has two aims in a career. Make money and/Or Win a flag.

We are pretty well placed for a flag tilt. Not sure about the money.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's entirely because he's from Melbourne

Defenders don't get much personal glory. He will never win a Brownlow, AFLPA MVP or Coleman Medal. The only award I can thi K of is the "Golden Fist" from Bounce.

By that reckoning a defender has two aims in a career. Make money and/Or Win a flag.

You actually believe what footballers say on the radio?

Personally I believe that, "cash won't shape the decision" is code for "Melbournites struggle to breathe the South Australian air, so, on doctor's orders, I'm heading back to my insular bubble for health reasons. Also, my gf misses Bourke Street Mall."

Coming on the heels of Chappie saying that if he goes it wont be money that is the reason, it kinda tells me Adelaide have matched a big offer and then asked why he still isnt signing and he has said its not all about money.

You actually believe what footballers say on the radio?

Personally I believe that, "cash won't shape the decision" is code for "Melbournites struggle to breathe the South Australian air, so, on doctor's orders, I'm heading back to my insular bubble for health reasons. Also, my gf misses Bourke Street Mall."
I don't believe that players go because they are "homesick".

They go because money and opportunity are better elsewhwere.

Gunston - hated playing for Centrals. Was fearful it would happen again. Hawthorn offer good coin and a Premiership window.
Tippet - Money. I doubt we could match what the Swans offered.
Bock - Money at a start up franchise.
Davis- See above
Maric- We pushed him out getting Sauce. He was too good for regukar SANFL footy.
Danger - Rumoured to be in same salary we offered. But he is now the highest profile footballer in the game tha is to access to the bigger media in Melbourne. The dollars and ego from that is far more than we could offer here.

If Lever leaves it will be for money.....he is talking BS if he says otherwise.

You assume he's talking about football. It could easily be something related to outside football (with family being the obvious one).

I don't believe that players go because they are "homesick".

They go because money and opportunity are better elsewhwere.

Gunston - hated playing for Centrals. Was fearful it would happen again. Hawthorn offer good coin and a Premiership window.
Tippet - Money. I doubt we could match what the Swans offered.
Bock - Money at a start up franchise.
Davis- See above
Maric- We pushed him out getting Sauce. He was too good for regukar SANFL footy.
Danger - Rumoured to be in same salary we offered. But he is now the highest profile footballer in the game tha is to access to the bigger media in Melbourne. The dollars and ego from that is far more than we could offer here.

If Lever leaves it will be for money.....he is talking BS if he says otherwise.

I fully believe that the major reason for Dangerfield leaving was family related. He could have earned more playing for a number of Melbourne clubs, but he and his wife wanted to start a family and live near both sets of parents (which I can understand, my wife and I built our house in a location that was close to both sets of our parents).

Sloane...despite being an absolute star of the game, Victorian, highly marketable, girlfriend whose media career could probably take off to greater heights based in Melb permanently, not made captain...still stayed for what we assume to be a fair but not overpriced salary because he actually loves the club, loves the playing group and, I believe, rates premiership success as his ultimate goal.

Sloane...what a bloody legend!! Have we ever had such an amazingly loyal, A+ grade player not from SA?

Playing Collingwood this week, media reports Collingwood have put in an offer.

He may end up at Port.....we play them after the Pies.

Will bet there will be some interest from Essendon in the week before we play them.

Its ****ed hey. Theyve literaly been reporting that hes going to whoever we are playing. Just need to try and ignore it and hopfully these spud journos will eventually go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back