Research Recent Deaths

Remove this Banner Ad

It should be coming quite soon now, though there's still a bit of work that needs to be done! The relaunch was meant to have happened a few months back. The look of the "new" site won't be a lot different to how the old one looked, but it will be updated to the end of the 2023 season, at least. Unfortunately, it doesn't look as if we will have 2024 player/match statistics showing. That's a bit disappointing, and I'm really not sure why we can't have it updated week by week during the season at this stage. With a bit of luck that might change down the track, so we'll see!

While there's not really much in the way of new features, the players section will have a new look, and I do like the look of it! While the players are sorted in alphabetical order (by default), you'll be able to sort them in order of DOB, debut year, games total, goals total, jumper number, as well as look at them by awards won, and see all the players for any given year (you could do that with the old site).

Any player relations pages?

Sadly, another ex-Magpie (and Fitzroy player) in Keith Bromage has died today. His Wikipedia page has already been updated by someone (a relative perhaps?):
1719364735824.png
Keith was Collingwood's youngest ever debutant, aged just 15 years 287 days when he played his first game.

Oliver G
Fred Smith died 21 June 2024, as shown on the previous page.

Last edited:
Just found the replay of the Hall of Fame In Memoriam tribute (hidden in an AFL360 episode S2024EP46). List of players featured. Appears to be in approximate recent to oldest death order:
Michael Porter was included, but he's alive. Robert Porter (6 games for Haw in 1962) was probably who they meant, but too few games to be included - they must have read the wrong line and thought it was Michael.

Oliver G, If I've listed a date in the table above, you don't have the death noted on AustralianFootball.com.

Ones I think they missed, either for plenty of games (not just AFL), recognised in other Halls of Fame or recent/younger etc
  1. Steve Beaumont: Tassie HoF
  2. Len Templar: 60 games for NM in 1950s
  3. Darryl Cowie: 63 games for StK/Rich plus 40 for Centrals in 80s
  4. Ernie O'Rourke: 48 games for Melb/NM in 1940s
  5. Peter Davidson: only 9 games for WC/BB, but 73 for Claremont/EF in 1980s
  6. Robert Evans: only 1 game for Foots but 97 games and Pres of Coburg
  7. Berkley Cox: 102 games for Carl in 1958-1965 & Tas HoF
  8. Peter Morris: 89 games for Rich in 1955-1960
  9. Bob Dawson: only 4 games for St Kilda but 102 years old!
  10. Jeff Hilton 49 games for StK/Melb in 90s
  11. John Ibraham: 85 games for NM in 60s
  12. Don Nicholls: 77 games for Carl in 50s, brother of John
  13. Don Palmer 50 games for NM in 1960s

Brian Gilmore

Death notice says he was 95, which isnt quite right is his dob as per wiki was Dec 1 1929.

(I have separate to this reached out to the family through the funeral home as I am wanting a clear image of him for Richmond's In Memoriam vid as he played Reserves; and if I get a reply I'll try to get clarification on dates)

SR and Col advises that Brian Lowe who died last week
has a DOB of July 3, not July 4.... though bear with me cause I see death notice says July 4, so Im making SR aware of this.

Update:
Col and SR advise that family contacted them to say it is July 3 not July 4.
I've made them aware that wiki may not allow the change as there's no official source other than this post here on BF. But I guess our Wiki guy can give it a shot.

I've asked SR and Col to update the Geelong foty club article on their website with the Date of Death, as Wiki will then allow that

Last edited:
Col/SR advised that Gordon Dixon died
November 16 2001.
SR called funeral place and confirmed this is the person

Date of Birth is 21 February 1935 (not 1936 as per wiki)

So if that can be updated on wiki please.
Here's the matching grave inscription. Can't really update it on wikipedia until it's published elsewhere (hint hint Oliver G )

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SR and Col advises that Brian Lowe who died last week
has a DOB of July 3, not July 4.... though bear with me cause I see death notice says July 4, so Im making SR aware of this.

Update:
Col and SR advise that family contacted them to say it is July 3 not July 4.
I've made them aware that wiki may not allow the change as there's no official source other than this post here on BF. But I guess our Wiki guy can give it a shot.

I've asked SR and Col to update the Geelong foty club article on their website with the Date of Death, as Wiki will then allow that

CHANGE OF PLANS PEOPLE.

Sorry to do this to you but....

Brian Lowe did pass away on July 4, as per confirmation from his family to SR and Col.
So the orginal obituary notice which says July 4th is correct.

So can we please change the wiki back to what it was which is July 4, and that the death notice was correct.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Research Recent Deaths

Remove this Banner Ad

Back