Red Bulls 2017 Top 30 Prediction

Remove this Banner Ad

RedBulls

Senior List
Jul 8, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents worth in. Just a top 30 :)
1 Brisbane
Andrew Brayshaw MID

2 Fremantle
Luke Davies - Uniacke MID

3 Carlton
Cam Rayner FWD/MID

4 North Melbourne
Paddy Dow MID

5 Fremantle
Adam Cerra MID

6 Collingwood
Aaron Naughton KEY B

7 St Kilda
Hunter Clark MID

8 St Kilda
Aidan Bonar FWD/MID

9 Western Bulldogs
Nathan Murphy HB/MID

10 Carlton
Darcy Fogarty FWD

11 GWS
Nick Coffield HB

12 Adelaide
Jack Higgins SM F

13 West Coast
Jaidyn Stephenson FWD/MID

14 Sydney
Ed Richards HB

15 Brisbane
Lachlan Fogarty MID

16 Western Bulldogs
Matthew Ling HB

17 Richmond
Jarrod Brander KPP

18 Brisbane
Sam Hayes RUCK/FWD

19 Gold Coast
Zac Bailey MID

20 Richmond
Oscar Allen FWD

21 West Coast
Tim Kelly MID/FWD

22 Geelong
Sam Taylor KEY B

23 North Melbourne
Lachie O'Brien MID

24 Geelong
Noah Balta 3rd TALL

25 Richmond
Patrick Naish MID/FWD

26 West Coast
Ryley Stoddart HB/MID

27 GWS
Charlie Spargo SM F

28 GWS
Gryan Miers SM F

29 Melbourne
Jack Petruccelle FWD

30 Carlton
Joel Garner HB/MID

Interesting take, a very different phantom. Love Coffield and Spargo but I would rather take a ruckman/ inside midfielder instead of Miers as well
I think with GWS losing Wilson, Smith and Johnson this offseason the biggest holes are in that HF and HB positions. Mumford is a huge loss but Lobb and Simpson should be able to take the brunt of the workload. I think they will look at a more mature ager in the rookie draft.

I hope your right would love Dow & OBrian with our first two picks but can't see it.
I personally rate O'Brien really highly but I think there are just better ceiling type players that clubs will look at more. So he is a candidate to slide for mine. In saying that I can see him being of interest at Brisbane's P15

Would Carlton really take both Rayner and Fogarty? They seem too similar with neither likely to be full time midfielders.
Similar? One is a small and one is a tall. Both have the scope to become anything and everything. Rayner is the best one on one player in the draft and Carlton struggled hugely inside 50 this year. Rayner could easily fill a small forward roll until he's 22 or 23 with bursts through the middle as relief. Fogarty at worst is a 200 game 3rd tall forward and with guys like McKay and Curnow developing really nicely that's an excellent blend between the 3, rotating up the ground. Fogarty is #4 on my board so to get him at 10 would be a steal.

will be very happy with Richards especially If Ballard, Houlahan, or McCartin get to 33
I think you're spot on with Houlahan, I'd love him at Port but there's no way he gets through that late, could be the steal of the draft imo wherever he lands. Ballard is an interesting one for me. Could go anywhere from 13 to 40, real big unknown of the draft

Pretty handy top 30, great work. I can see West Coast pinching Constable if he falls in the second round. Big question mark on speed but tested pretty well (touch over 3 secs for 20m from memory). Stephenson and Constable with two of the first three picks - one inside mid, one outside mid - would be a very handy platform

I like a lot of the thoughts in this phantom. Brayshaw at 1, yep could see it happening. Carlton are interesting, however, they may believe the "/mid" tag attached to both these powerful players. I don't. They will have 2 versatile forwards if they go this path.

I think WB would go for O'Brien before Ling and perhaps try Naish but Ling could fit the same needs bill, not dissimilar a player.

Would Carlton really take both Rayner and Fogarty? They seem too similar with neither likely to be full time midfielders.
Short answer, no. Carlton will take Dow and Fogarty if he’s there maybe but apparently Carlton have their eye on a few others at 10 that people wouldn’t expect. Richards, O’Brien being a few of them.

Car
I personally rate O'Brien really highly but I think there are just better ceiling type players that clubs will look at more. So he is a candidate to slide for mine. In saying that I can see him being of interest at Brisbane's P15

Similar? One is a small and one is a tall. Both have the scope to become anything and everything. Rayner is the best one on one player in the draft and Carlton struggled hugely inside 50 this year. Rayner could easily fill a small forward roll until he's 22 or 23 with bursts through the middle as relief. Fogarty at worst is a 200 game 3rd tall forward and with guys like McKay and Curnow developing really nicely that's an excellent blend between the 3, rotating up the ground. Fogarty is #4 on my board so to get him at 10 would be a steal.

I think you're spot on with Houlahan, I'd love him at Port but there's no way he gets through that late, could be the steal of the draft imo wherever he lands. Ballard is an interesting one for me. Could go anywhere from 13 to 40, real big unknown of the draft
Carlton won’t take two forward/mids at least one of pick 3 or 10 will be a pure mid

I feel like Brayshaw is a bit of a reach at 1

Does he have much x factor?

I feel like Brayshaw is a bit of a reach at 1

Does he have much x factor?
No but he'll play 300 games and what more could you want from a number 1 pick? I have him at #3 on my board behind LDU and Dow so it's not that much of a reach for me personally

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty handy top 30, great work. I can see West Coast pinching Constable if he falls in the second round. Big question mark on speed but tested pretty well (touch over 3 secs for 20m from memory). Stephenson and Constable with two of the first three picks - one inside mid, one outside mid - would be a very handy platform

I personally don't see the hype behind Constable so seeing him slide is what I predict but that's just me. He's more of a development player imo. But in saying that to get both those guys you'd be stoked being West Coast. Who knows how far Stephenson could fall as well, he's a bit hard to play in a certain position.

I like a lot of the thoughts in this phantom. Brayshaw at 1, yep could see it happening. Carlton are interesting, however, they may believe the "/mid" tag attached to both these powerful players. I don't. They will have 2 versatile forwards if they go this path.

I think WB would go for O'Brien before Ling and perhaps try Naish but Ling could fit the same needs bill, not dissimilar a player.
Yeah I agree with the Fog and Rayner thing, they're forwards their entire career at worst case. But so is Jack Gunstan and Robbie Gray and those are two pretty great players so where is the complaint really if you get me?

I love O'brien as a player I think he'll end up being one of the best in the pool I just think for where the doggies are at they need someone with a little more aggression and dash so that's why I've gone with Ling. A Naish bit would make sense I just think it'd be a bit early to go down that path.

Car

Carlton won’t take two forward/mids at least one of pick 3 or 10 will be a pure mid
They recruited Kennedy and Lang to fill the Gibbs void. No reason they'd then go and value another mid higher than a forward given that was their biggest hole in 2017. I'd have both Rayner and Fog in Carlton's top 5.

They recruited Kennedy and Lang to fill the Gibbs void. No reason they'd then go and value another mid higher than a forward given that was their biggest hole in 2017. I'd have both Rayner and Fog in Carlton's top 5.
They’d be in their top 5 yes but not to draft together. Carlton need at least one pure mid at 10 or 3. Neither Rayner or Fogarty fit that bill. I think if Fogarty is there at 10 he’s their man but I’m pretty sure they go Dow or Cerra at 3. Whichever is there. SOS has wanted Cerra all year but is warming to Dow now as well

Yeah I agree with the Fog and Rayner thing, they're forwards their entire career at worst case. But so is Jack Gunstan and Robbie Gray and those are two pretty great players so where is the complaint really if you get me?

I love O'brien as a player I think he'll end up being one of the best in the pool I just think for where the doggies are at they need someone with a little more aggression and dash so that's why I've gone with Ling. A Naish bit would make sense I just think it'd be a bit early to go down that path.

My comment about the Blues was based on stuff I keep reading that they are looking to bolster their midfield with 3 & 10. A lot of draft prospects get the "/mid" tag attached to them, I reckon most of the time you see that, assume that they are not going to be genuine mids.

But yeah, I am going to study up Ling a little more after your speculation - appreciate that you are in tune with what my team's needs are. A number of other phantoms appear oblivious.

My comment about the Blues was based on stuff I keep reading that they are looking to bolster their midfield with 3 & 10. A lot of draft prospects get the "/mid" tag attached to them, I reckon most of the time you see that, assume that they are not going to be genuine mids.

But yeah, I am going to study up Ling a little more after your speculation - appreciate that you are in tune with what my team's needs are. A number of other phantoms appear oblivious.

Just when you look at what the dogs lost and what they're bringing in already they're really lacking in the pace department, not just actual pace but fast paced players. AKA doing a swap of Stringer and Schache. Playing the same position but very different types. Same with Trengove down back and even Crozier. Losing Murphy and Boyd down back leaves giant holes across half back. Just think it'd be logical to have some pacey guys high up on that draft board. Murphy and Ling being the 2 I've got there but anyone of those types could land at the doggies (I'm personally a big fan of them especially what they did this offseason)

That’s exactly right. Forwards, who can go through the middle. Carlton need pure mids at if not both at least one of pick 3 or 10. Rayner won’t be there anyway so it will be Dow and Fogarty/Stephenson/O’Brien or something like that

I personally don't see the hype behind Constable so seeing him slide is what I predict but that's just me. He's more of a development player imo. But in saying that to get both those guys you'd be stoked being West Coast. Who knows how far Stephenson could fall as well, he's a bit hard to play in a certain position.

Yeah absolutely. I think West Coast's midfield is sort of at ground zero - Shuey, Redden and Sheed will start in there but none are dominant clearance players (Sheed is likely to be the one to develop into that player). But a big-bodied inside mid in the mould of Constable would be a very hand addition. He's lost favour as the combine testing results weren't earth-shattering, but he's got a sharp footy mind. I can see clubs reaching (Brisbane at #15 or #18 will seriously look at him) but he won't make it out of the top 30 IMO.

You seen to have the Eagles taking hybrid players. I think that they need a pure inside mid with an early selection.
Yeah absolutely. I think West Coast's midfield is sort of at ground zero - Shuey, Redden and Sheed will start in there but none are dominant clearance players (Sheed is likely to be the one to develop into that player). But a big-bodied inside mid in the mould of Constable would be a very hand addition. He's lost favour as the combine testing results weren't earth-shattering, but he's got a sharp footy mind. I can see clubs reaching (Brisbane at #15 or #18 will seriously look at him) but he won't make it out of the top 30 IMO.
I think with West Coast the inside mid thing isn't as bad as you think. Yeo, Shuey, Redden, Ah Chee (will be a star next season), Sheed, Gaff, Masten and Duggan. That's a fair few to run through the middle. Remember Venables from last year who has a lot of hype too. You put it perfectly, if West Coast want a pure mid they're gonna have to reach a tad which is why I think those hybrid players are perfect. Stephenson, Kelly and Stoddard would run through there. Especially Kelly but all those guys will be better for a rebuild to develop on a flank and rotate through the middle to then become full time mids. I think they also take Stracevich with the next pick outside the top 30. That's a really good hand to take from the draft I think. Also gives some relief to Jetta on the outside because all those guys are really explosive.

I think with West Coast the inside mid thing isn't as bad as you think. Yeo, Shuey, Redden, Ah Chee (will be a star next season), Sheed, Gaff, Masten and Duggan. That's a fair few to run through the middle. Remember Venables from last year who has a lot of hype too. You put it perfectly, if West Coast want a pure mid they're gonna have to reach a tad which is why I think those hybrid players are perfect. Stephenson, Kelly and Stoddard would run through there. Especially Kelly but all those guys will be better for a rebuild to develop on a flank and rotate through the middle to then become full time mids. I think they also take Stracevich with the next pick outside the top 30. That's a really good hand to take from the draft I think. Also gives some relief to Jetta on the outside because all those guys are really explosive.

Unfortunately, a few of the guys you mentioned - Gaff, Masten in particular - are pure outside mids. Then there's Venables who is yet to debut, and Duggan is neither quick nor a full-time midfielder and plied his trade primarily off half-back last season. You could throw Partington into the mix as well - he was drafted as a midfield but was used as a small forward in the back half of the season.

Yeo's another one that many have projected to play in the midfield, but I have my doubts on his ability to extract from a contest. As someone who watched him every week, his play off half-back was superb because he reads it in the flight so well, but in the midfield he gets a little lost.

Agree with you on Ah Chee, I've always rated him highly, and he will be part of the midfield rotation, but in terms of midfield depth there are still plenty of gaps that need to be filled and in particular there is a dearth of big-bodied inside mids.

Like you said, WC need run and carry, as that was their Achilles heel at times last year, but they lost two of their best extractors (Priddis and Mitchell) and they need replacing. Grabbing someone like a Constable with our third pick (if he slides that far) is a no-brainer IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Red Bulls 2017 Top 30 Prediction

Remove this Banner Ad

Back