Player Watch Reef McInnes

Remove this Banner Ad

Concussion being the issue it is we need bigger benches and **** the sub rule off.
Agree - especially when it takes 20min for HIA protocol to be completed which will happen multiple times in a game as Doctors become very cautious. We could actually see more than one player in HIA at the same time.

An extended bench would ensure interchange and breaks for players can continue normally.

Anyone who watched the last quarter of the ressies yesterday would have seen what Reef can do from the middle. 3 times he just burnt opponents twice linking up for what were 130m plays that should have been rewarded with goals cept that his mates missed the goals he set up. He should be given midfield time at least 50:50 with his forward stints in the seniors. His pace is breathtaking when he uses it.
I really like the bump he made in either the third or fourth quarter on the HFF - showed some genuine aggression that I hadn't seen before. Hope he continues to develop that side of his game, especially if he is to get mid-field minutes.

I really like the bump he made in either the third or fourth quarter on the HFF - showed some genuine aggression that I hadn't seen before
I think we forget what he’s capable of as he’s played in bursts etc.
He certainly has it in his game.
I think he’s capable of playing a midfield role similar to JDG early days.
He’s quick, a decent mark and a decent kick for goal.
He may be a candidate this week to play on Sicily like he did on Andrews (Lions).

I think we forget what he’s capable of as he’s played in bursts etc.
He certainly has it in his game.
I think he’s capable of playing a midfield role similar to JDG early days.
He’s quick, a decent mark and a decent kick for goal.
He may be a candidate this week to play on Sicily like he did on Andrews (Lions).
No one’s stopping a 194cm speedster on the move - we just need to find the spot where he can be most damaging.
Can I only assume his tank is keeping him from playing more time as mid.
What else could it be?

Showed a bit of that burst from stoppages in his first season before he got injured. Love to see him get more opportunity at senior level to show that. His marking was also very good on Saturday.
What about trying him out a defender with a view possibly to try to replace some of the work that Nathan Murphy did with intercepts, punching & tackling? Now I am not assuming that it is a given that he will definitely succeed in the backline but there has been quite a long history in both the VFL & the AFL of struggling forwards going into the back line & making a name for themselves. One the immediately comes to mind at Collingwood was Bill Picken who came to the club from the Western District & after an indifferent couple of years in the forward line was moved to centre- half-back either in late 1976 or early1977 & never looked back. I suppose that it might be worth the investment. BYE.

No one’s stopping a 194cm speedster on the move - we just need to find the spot where he can be most damaging.
Can I only assume his tank is keeping him from playing more time as mid.
What else could it be?

We could try playing him like they did with Swanny, in bursts in the mids. That's his go till he's got his wind.

What about trying him out a defender with a view possibly to try to replace some of the work that Nathan Murphy did with intercepts, punching & tackling? Now I am not assuming that it is a given that he will definitely succeed in the backline but there has been quite a long history in both the VFL & the AFL of struggling forwards going into the back line & making a name for themselves. One the immediately comes to mind at Collingwood was Bill Picken who came to the club from the Western District & after an indifferent couple of years in the forward line was moved to centre- half-back either in late 1976 or early1977 & never looked back. I suppose that it might be worth the investment. BYE.
Sounds well and good, except he isn't a failed forward. He's a midfielder being played as a forward. Mid-forward needs to be his role going forward.
Unless you think he can be what Crisp was, half back-midfielder.

Sounds well and good, except he isn't a failed forward. He's a midfielder being played as a forward. Mid-forward needs to be his role going forward.
Unless you think he can be what Crisp was, half back-midfielder.
I think moving him to a hbf would actually be a good move to get him more involved and he has the build for it. Pretty sure I recall Hine saying that's where he saw him lining up, immediately after he was drafted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Playing forwards back seems to be a one way street, once we introduce them to the backline, they seem to stay there - Moore, Reid, Tarrant, Billy, you could even put Neon Leon in that group. My preference would be to give Reef more time in the hybrid forward role (ideally interchanging with JDG out of full-forward) before he's banished to the backline.

We can basically scrape Reef's first two years off given his injuries in his draft year, and covid stunting his development.

Surprisingly, covid stunting development hasn't really occurred.

I think the AFL has the best group of young mids that we've seen for years and many of them essentially missed 2 years rather than the 1 that Reef missed.

Playing forwards back seems to be a one way street, once we introduce them to the backline, they seem to stay there - Moore, Reid, Tarrant, Billy, you could even put Neon Leon in that group. My preference would be to give Reef more time in the hybrid forward role (ideally interchanging with JDG out of full-forward) before he's banished to the backline.
i think this should be what we do, DeGoey spending 75% mid then when spelling forward ( not counting time he spends on the bench resting ) Reef swaps over with him. introduces Reef to the midfield for a like for like player, big bodied with burst of speed

I think moving him to a hbf would actually be a good move to get him more involved and he has the build for it. Pretty sure I recall Hine saying that's where he saw him lining up, immediately after he was drafted.

Had exposure to all of the possible positions (forward, midfield, defence, medical room) in the lead up to his draft. Mid-forward was where he shone from memory.

I think finding players who can contribute both forward and give midfield rotations is much more difficult than finding defenders so I’d like to see them persist with him in that role. We haven’t really replaced all that Tay Adams provided in it last year.

He's built to be a winger like Isaac Smith. Tall, fast, good hands. Only problem is he doesn't have the tank like Smith to run all day.
So, he can't run all day...neither could Swanny. Lottsa today's mids run in bursts, trying to make Reef into Isaac Smith or Lachie Neale isn't gonna work.

So, he can't run all day...neither could Swanny. Lottsa today's mids run in bursts, trying to make Reef into Isaac Smith or Lachie Neale isn't gonna work.
Don't know about Reef. There are flashes, but he just seems to go missing for big chunks of games.

Don't know about Reef. There are flashes, but he just seems to go missing for big chunks of games.

Do you mean the games where he's warming the pine for 3 quarters? :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Reef McInnes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back