Player Watch Reef McInnes

Remove this Banner Ad

Will request a trade along with Finn. Both have suitors.

If true, that can’t be good.

I can’t imagine we’d get at trade anything like what we paid for them (late first round?)

With an aging list, I don’t see how letting young players go for peanuts is a good sign.

I can’t imagine we’d get at trade anything like what we paid for them (late first round?)

With an aging list, I don’t see how letting young players go for peanuts is a good sign.
not a surprise just given lack of opportunity, coming in and out. Hard to get any value out of players we are not playing in the team and argue we value them.

not a surprise just given lack of opportunity, coming in and out. Hard to get any value out of players we are not playing in the team and argue we value them.

With our aging list and large number of injuries this year, we’d have to be one of the teams that offer the best opportunities?

What we paid for them is now irrelevant. You let them go or keep them based on their time at the club.

I'd be surprised if any club was interested in Finn. He has done well to get a 5th year contract with us. Reef will probably have minor interest.

If true…

Averaging 1.4 goals a game from an average 54% game time (been subbed out 3 times)

The kid needs continuity in the seniors… the same way Maynard and Quaynor got it in their early formative years

Different if his efforts are substandard… but from what I’ve seen during the quiet periods he needs to be rotated higher up the ground rather then sitting idle at deeper forward

There’s a Hail Mary chance the pies make a prelim and therefore get a proper crack at the flag this year

This is the perfect time to back in young but physically ready talent like Reef, Richards, Parker

Averaging 1.4 goals a game from an average 54% game time (been subbed out 3 times)

The kid needs continuity in the seniors… the same way Maynard and Quaynor got it in their early formative years

Different if his efforts are substandard… but from what I’ve seen during the quiet periods he needs to be rotated higher up the ground rather then sitting idle at deeper forward

There’s a Hail Mary chance the pies make a prelim and therefore get a proper crack at the flag this year

This is the perfect time to back in young but physically ready talent like Reef, Richards, Parker
The thing with Reef is that at VFL level he's like a good first year player - flashes of talent, but not much overall. He's been lucky to get as many AFL games as he's gotten - he hasn't earnt them through strong VFL performance.

.....There’s a Hail Mary chance the pies make a prelim and therefore get a proper crack at the flag this year...
We all live in hope but that is certainly a gigantic Hail Mary.

Agree with you re Reef - give him some continuity - I presume the coaches are communicating clearly with him re what's needed, why he's being dropped and not leaving him to figure out how to improve.

This handing continuity and "blocks of games" to players is doing my head in. It's pure spectator fantasy.

If anything like that is done, it's only when you are a near bottom of the ladder developing team. Even then, you don't guarantee a player a number of games. It doesn't help a player (or his team mates) to be selected no matter what.

If you can't earn a spot through performance then you don't get selected. That's the measure.

I really like Reef on his potential and I want him to make it and hopefully he still will, but I don't see how anyone can say he hasn't been given plenty of chances. Offensively he shows a bit but otherwise he does sweet F all because he can't get to contests as he's always out of breath and rooted.

I'm not sure which player some of you are watching?

Have a look at Reef's second, third efforts etc compared to Elliott's. Jamie feels the pinch but keeps going time after time and doesn't lose his pace. And yes, Jamie is older and more experienced but he was like that from the very first time he played. Look at Beau's repeat efforts too.

Reef has to get himself fitter or learn how to dig deep inside himself to pull out the kind of efforts that are required to have a successful AFL career.

We all live in hope but that is certainly a gigantic Hail Mary.

Agree with you re Reef - give him some continuity - I presume the coaches are communicating clearly with him re what's needed, why he's being dropped and not leaving him to figure out how to improve.

I get that… but there was a chance this week for him to kick a few against a weak Richmond line up… half the battle at this formative point is the young players feeling as though they belong at that level

I get that… but there was a chance this week for him to kick a few against a weak Richmond line up… half the battle at this formative point is the young players feeling as though they belong at that level
Tricky balance for coaches assessing and selecting on "form" and a player's confidence levels etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Terrible sign. We should be prepared for the he cliff we're about to drop off. Seems the coaches are keen for us to hit the bottom so hard we go through the earth all the way to iceland. At least we can look at the northern lights as we repeat the Tony Shaw years, with one great player and a team of battlers.

Y'know I've been a massive fan of Reef and have felt he's been hard done by.

But I also just looked at Footywire and compared Reef with Joe Richards. Its hard not to be dismayed at the comparison - Richards lays more tackles on average, more TI50, more goal assists, more overall disposals and marks and has 3x metres gained.

Comparison: https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...d2=5&type=A&pid1=6853&pid2=7093&fid1=S&fid2=S

Yes, they have different roles but the numbers speak for themselves, and Reef has every opportunity to be a shorter Jeremy Cameron-type player, leading right up CHF to the square and being a link, or making himself dangerous around goal. His WCE match this year was the standout, but against poor opposition.

Agree with him needing to reinvent himself for 2025 - get a tank, apply more tackle pressure, revolve through CHF and midfield and he would be a vital cog.

This handing continuity and "blocks of games" to players is doing my head in. It's pure spectator fantasy.

If anything like that is done, it's only when you are a near bottom of the ladder developing team. Even then, you don't guarantee a player a number of games. It doesn't help a player (or his team mates) to be selected no matter what.

If you can't earn a spot through performance then you don't get selected. That's the measure.

I really like Reef on his potential and I want him to make it and hopefully he still will, but I don't see how anyone can say he hasn't been given plenty of chances. Offensively he shows a bit but otherwise he does sweet F all because he can't get to contests as he's always out of breath and rooted.

I'm not sure which player some of you are watching?

Have a look at Reef's second, third efforts etc compared to Elliott's. Jamie feels the pinch but keeps going time after time and doesn't lose his pace. And yes, Jamie is older and more experienced but he was like that from the very first time he played. Look at Beau's repeat efforts too.

Reef has to get himself fitter or learn how to dig deep inside himself to pull out the kind of efforts that are required to have a successful AFL career.

Okay, well I we'll do the blocks of games strategy pretty soon then, since it won't be long before we hit the bottom of the ladder.

....Seems the coaches are keen for us to hit the bottom so hard we go through the earth all the way to iceland...
Finnishpie - are you from Finland? I think if Collingwood head to the bottom all the way through the earth we are more likely to arrive near Mawson station than Iceland.

Terrible sign. We should be prepared for the he cliff we're about to drop off. Seems the coaches are keen for us to hit the bottom so hard we go through the earth all the way to iceland. At least we can look at the northern lights as we repeat the Tony Shaw years, with one great player and a team of battlers.
Middle of the Atlantic - near the Azores

If we could any currency for those two it would be a plus.

Sunken cost fallacy. What we paid for them back then is irrelevant.

Young players who don’t make an impact get delisted all the time when they fail to make an impressions, regardless of the age of the list.

I don’t see two youngsters being moved on who failed to bail their chances, which were multiple btw, as a bad sign.

Whats the record for the most dropped player in the AFL? Reef must be on target, omitted after every 2nd game he plays

Lol and after how many games as a sub lucky to play 20 mins of footy.

Really don't get the development path for him and Fin. No consistency or faith shown for a block of games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Reef McInnes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back