Player Watch Reef McInnes

Remove this Banner Ad

Reef McInnes thread that hasn’t been about Reef for this entire page

I really wish we’d actually play the kid in the middle for once. You know, the position he was recruited for?

This is my beef with many pies peripheral players

Sullivan, Macrae, Bytel… rack up the clearances in the VFL… then play wing or half forward at AFL level

None of them especially suited to those roles… they play mediocre, then get dropped back to VFL where they play as centre mids

Rinse, repeat

Long is the one who bucks this trend. He has got recent games in the middle at least

Sullivan, Macrae, Bytel… rack up the clearances in the VFL… then play wing or half forward at AFL level

None of them especially suited to those roles… they play mediocre, then get dropped back to VFL where they play as centre mids

Rinse, repeat

Long is the one who bucks this trend. He has got recent games in the middle at least

Those 3 have all had midfield time in the AFL. When Macrae started there, twice he was getting smashed and we helped to turn the game by subbing him off early for a tactical sub. Sullivan played midfield whilst Pendles was out.

The issue is that they aren't suited to other roles and aren't good enough for AFL midfield.

Rinse, repeat

Sullivan and Macrae have been given chances in the middle this year, they had to sub Macrae off at halftime vs Lions it was going so badly. They also subbed Macrae off halftime vs north for memory but not sure he was playing middle (Edit, just checked he was)
Bytel agree wouldnt mind seeing if it clicks in middle for him and dont think he has had the chance yet

Rinse, repeat

When they're in the midfield at VFL level our midfield loses to other VFL mids :think:

He was projected as a mid, but he didn't play under 18s midfield - was supposedly set to in 2020, but then covid hit - Ginnivan was also supposedly set to play midfield in under 18s that year. Reef doesn't have runs on the board as a midfielder at any level, and doesn't look to have the running capacity for it either

He got some midfield games at the Chargers, but he was down the pecking order.

He's quick - I've seen him turn on the jets a couple of times with the ball at VFL and blow a chaser away, or get separation really easily on the lead. I think it's more that he can't repeat effort and is knackered, moving at half pace most of the time - making him look slow, unable to chase and ruling out much time in the midfield.

Yep, I reckon his future lies somewhere in the backline as a close checker type...

Watched him as close as I could on tv. He’s adjusting pretty well in defence. Strengths of closing speed are an asset there. He’s also a good tackler etc. looked to take the game on multiple times and provide run from defence, something we’ve been lacking.

Hopefully he stays, I think a full pre season in defence and he’s def found his position.

As much as people want him mid, I just don’t think he’s ever gonna be a full timer there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

we've got about 10 players you could easily delist over Reef.

Not keeping him would be crazy unless he demands a ridiculous contract.
I'd hope we offer him another year, but think he'd probably only sign if he gets no other offers. He has to make it in his next contract or he'll find himself out of the industry - so he really should take a 2 year contract if his manager can find him one.

I'd hope we offer him another year, but think he'd probably only sign if he gets no other offers. He has to make it in his next contract or he'll find himself out of the industry - so he really should take a 2 year contract if his manager can find him one.
With JFN wanting out, Reef could become a real run and carry type, not a direct replacement but an additional option down back.

I think we will kick ourselves if he goes elsewhere

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Reef McInnes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back