Player Watch Reef McInnes

Remove this Banner Ad

cannot understand why we wouldn't back this guy in for another +1 - 2 years.

sure he needs to work on his aerobic capacity but the kid can play across multiple lines

has the athletic and age profile we need to back in
He's not very atheletic, he moves like Connor Nash for Hawks.. he's not there or there. His development has been disappointing.

He's not very atheletic, he moves like Connor Nash for Hawks.. he's not there or there. His development has been disappointing.
he doesn't have the agility of Nick but he's also 194 cms

Connor Nash is doing his role 'inside' for the hawks

Reefer's pace is good to v.good for his height but yeah his agility could improve ..suggests he needs to work on his core just as Murph (192 cms) needed to

Reef was an under-ager in his draft year and also missed some footy due to Covid

can see him breaking out next year

he doesn't have the agility of Nick but he's also 194 cms

Connor Nash is doing his role 'inside' for the hawks

Reefer's pace is good to v.good for his height but yeah his agility could improve ..suggests he needs to work on his core just as Murph (192 cms) needed to

Reef was an under-ager in his draft year and also missed some footy due to Covid

can see him breaking out next year
Yeah I understand but he was supposed to that this year.. "break out" i mean.

Yeah I understand but he was supposed to that this year.. "break out" i mean.
under-ager, give him another year

in & out of the team and off the subs-bench, give him another year

with such little trade capital, if we exit him, we're gonna be replacing him with someone from the $2 SSP pool

back the kid in!!

4 years in and he's getting tried in a new position behind the ball.

that's alarm bells for me.
Rory Lobb is playing a jingle with his bells

lots of players move forward to back (Lobb, Howe), back to forward (Checkers) .. many many examples

Can Ash Johnson or Reef be developed as defenders to replace Noble?

What Ash or Reef can turned to the Hoskin Elliot prototype, a tall player that can play wing, back or forward depending on matchup.

What Ash or Reef can turned to the Hoskin Elliot prototype, a tall player that can play wing, back or forward depending on matchup.

Ash doesn't have a defensive bone in his body.

Lobb and Howe were established AFL players and checkers played forward his first year.

apples and oranges
so are you saying Reefer is 'ahead of the curve' and tracking to be better than all of them combined .. ;)

clearly I'm keen to see him go around again at the Pies

howe, miho, WHE, sidey, elliott, pendles (6) could all conceivably retire end next year; more likely, 2-3 retire & perhaps 2-3 go around for one more year. either way, can see Reef easily occupying one of those starting 22 roles

under-ager, give him another year

in & out of the team and off the subs-bench, give him another year

with such little trade capital, if we exit him, we're gonna be replacing him with someone from the $2 SSP pool

back the kid in!!
This year, his 4th year, was another year.

Looking like they've got a for sale sign up. If there are no takers, hopefully we give him one more year.

He's missed a lot of footy. His top age year to covid, his first year to injuries. Same with his 2nd. Couple it with him being young for his cohort, it's added up to him not being good enough yet to demand selection by an MC trying to make/win finals with an established list in the last 2 years.

Fly has a good reputation as a development coach so I have to back his judgement. But the lack of game time afforded Reef has me perplexed. Same, though to a lesser ectent with their development of Macrae

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There might be a thought that Reef has taken things for granted and whilst it is easy to receive feedback, "you need to improve", do we all listen to feedback and accept it..? The rubber really hits the road and reality bites when contracts are not forthcoming. Maybe this is the "rocket" he needs... I like the idea of playing behind the ball, as this might make him as a defender and, if he plays AFL learn first hand from talented forwards how they continue to be involved, leading patterns and second / third efforts. Just a thought....

I think Ash Johnson’s low intensity play style is the polar opposite of Noble’s.

I can see the arguments against McInnes but I would be shocked if we don't offer him a new deal, particularly given some of the recent list clogging SSP selections we have made in the last 12 months.

McInnes despite some deficiencies has upside and I would like to explore that with another pre-season and more time spent in these new roles.

I am still bullish on him becoming a regular AFL player for us, and there aren't too many players under the age of 22 I can say that about.

Hard to break out when you're given such limited time in the firsts. Others played poorly and were given plenty of chances. He plays okay and it's straight back to the VFL.
Problem was he didn't break out at VFL and assumedly not at training either.

Problem was he didn't break out at VFL and assumedly not at training either.

This is one of the most circular arguments on BF. It’s almost as if posters think Reef should be given more time at senior level because - and as a result of or in spite of - not standing out at VFL level.

He played forward in a team that finished last and was beaten by other teams that haven't won games in years. It was a tough ask.

Waterman and Larkey must be Plugger and Ablett level.

Even in shit teams you get forward 50 entries and often they're with more space to work in.

I do like him as a defensive prospect - don't think he reads it well enough to e initiating.

Waterman and Larkey must be Plugger and Ablett level.

Even in shit teams you get forward 50 entries and often they're with more space to work in.

I do like him as a defensive prospect - don't think he reads it well enough to e initiating.
I would have thought with shit teams the forward entries would be more likely be long bombs to packs and be more easily repelled. At least that's my experience while watching AFL. But I'm no expert.

I would have thought with shit teams the forward entries would be more likely be long bombs to packs and be more easily repelled. At least that's my experience while watching AFL. But I'm no expert.
Depends on game style, but when the ball is up one end more often, so too are the players and thus there's more space when it does get up the other end.

Check out the last few years of the Coleman and who finishes near the top.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Reef McInnes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back