Toast Regional Roos Thread - Down on the farm Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm a westerner, but always thought it was Nar Nar Goon and Koo Wee Rup, as the border. Everything beyond that is Gippsland
Thats pretty consistant with the cardinia creek anyway. Would put koowee in gippy and tooradin just out given the cardinia creek drains into westenport between the airfield and the kooweerup rd turnoff.

West gippsland and mid gippy would politically be the bawbaw and Latrobe shires, geographically a bit harder to define given the traf/moe flatlands all drain to the east and there isnt a particular terrain that defines them, maybe the confluence of the latrobe and tanjil rivers which also had the narracon creek flowing from the sth that would put moe in west gippsland and newborough in mid gippy? Especially south of moe as it pretty well defines the latrobe bawbaw shires all the way out to narracan.

Last edited:

Hour and a half drive

My daughter wants to spend a night somewhere where she can see "lots and lots and lots of stars".

Assuming it's a clear night, how would the area around Walkerville/Waratah Bay be for that?

My daughter wants to spend a night somewhere where she can see "lots and lots and lots of stars".

Assuming it's a clear night, how would the area around Walkerville/Waratah Bay be for that?
Any really, foster would be the biggest souce of light pollution and its not a huge town. And looking out to sea its behind you anyway. If she times it right she could see the aurora when the sunspot comes back around. Cloud cover would be the biggest show stopper. So in a nutshell pick a night with a clear sky forecast and a new moon.

Any really, foster would be the biggest souce of light pollution and its not a huge town. And looking out to sea its behind you anyway. If she times it right she could see the aurora when the sunspot comes back around. Cloud cover would be the biggest show stopper. So in a nutshell pick a night with a clear sky forecast and a new moon.

Great point about the new moon timing. That'll really help ensure maximum starry sky visibility.

Great point about the new moon timing. That'll really help ensure maximum starry sky visibility.
We used to go to loch sport and the sky was amazing at times, the milky way literally looked like a splattering of paint across the entire sky at times. Even here looking away from latrobe valley towards the great dividing range the north it can be just as impressive. Obviously in winter the nights are cooler and clear nights are often accompanied with frosts inland but the posative is lack of mozzies.

This is interesting.

Its pretty well considered a very effective way to regenerate with those obsticles holding back the waster, pity a lot of the catchment management authorities are not on board, 🤐

We dont have a perminant watercourse on our property however i have been using keyline principals to hold moisture back on grades.

Could do a lot more if i had the time, its like everything you do takes longer than anticipated, for example i wanted to fertilise 10 hectares today, then had to go to town to pick up a script for the wife, wait was 20mins at the chemist, when got back and after an hour of spraying the hose burst. So back to the workshop, then i didnt have the right diameter hose for the fittings....

Last edited:
Its pretty well considered a very effective way to regenerate with those obsticles holding back the waster, pity a lot of the catchment management authorities are not on board, 🤐

We dont have a perminant watercourse on our property however i have been using keyline principals to hold moisture back on grades.

Could do a lot more if i had the time, its like everything you do takes longer than anticipated, for example i wanted to fertilise 10 hectares today, then had to go to town to pick up a script for the wife, wait was 20mins at the chemist, when got back and after an hour of spraying the hose burst. So back to the workshop, then i didnt have the right diameter hose for the fittings....
It'd be nice if one thing was easy once hey...

Before the rain started up north, just before the fires this guy bought this property next door and then cleared every gully and then burnt everything in every gully. Sure it made slashing easier.

He was smashed by landslips over the last three years. Had to redo fence lines, lost animals - basically a massive pita. He made about $150K on tax write offs cleaning the gullies and "improving" his land tho. It might have been worth it in the long run for him, he sold up last year after about five years having written off six or seven figures in "improvements" to the 500 or 600 ha he had there.

It'd be nice if one thing was easy once hey...

Before the rain started up north, just before the fires this guy bought this property next door and then cleared every gully and then burnt everything in every gully. Sure it made slashing easier.

He was smashed by landslips over the last three years. Had to redo fence lines, lost animals - basically a massive pita. He made about $150K on tax write offs cleaning the gullies and "improving" his land tho. It might have been worth it in the long run for him, he sold up last year after about five years having written off six or seven figures in "improvements" to the 500 or 600 ha he had there.
We were up the hunter just before the fires a few years back, sheesh it was dry. Prolly like when you were up north still.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another option down that way is Sandy Point, just South of Waratah Bay. There’s literally zero light pollution there and on a clear night the number of stars blow you away. I took some Canadian friends down there 22 years ago and the clear view of The Milky Way at night is what blew them away the most. More than the views of The Prom over the water. They did love the day trip to the Prom, seeing uniquely Aussie wildlife up close and the views from Mt Oberon’s peak. It’s a great part of the world.

IMG_5558.png

We were up the hunter just before the fires a few years back, sheesh it was dry. Prolly like when you were up north still.
The January of 2019 or December 2018 I drove from Melbourne to the North Coast (did it a few times but this was the first) and ... from Dubbo to the Vic border some years there's just Canola the whole way. This year it was red dirt, dry dams and waterholes and a fair bit of dead stock and wildlife. In the distance on the horizen you could see humungous plumes of dust rising into the air ... looked creepy as.

Flying back and forth at the same time the ground looked like a satellite map of outback WA.

Rumour has it Peter Andrews old farm was still green tho. Ever hear of him?

No, not heard of peter andrews.
He ran a horse stud in the Hunter valley and had a reputation for his property not going into drought. Eventually he developed this idea called natural sequence farming.

We adopted a German short haired pointer from the RSPCA last week. She’s got such a beautiful temperament. Awesome jogging buddy, gentle with the kids, and she’s already got a strong enough rapport with us that we’ve had some off-leash time in the bush and on the beach over the past couple days.

Only problem is that she becomes a terminator-leopard stone-cold killer when she gets a whiff of our chickens. So I’m halfway through building a new colorbond coop kit that I hope will be more GSP proof than our previous run. Just need a decent break in the drizzle to finish the job.

We adopted a German short haired pointer from the RSPCA last week. She’s got such a beautiful temperament. Awesome jogging buddy, gentle with the kids, and she’s already got a strong enough rapport with us that we’ve had some off-leash time in the bush and on the beach over the past couple days.

Only problem is that she becomes a terminator-leopard stone-cold killer when she gets a whiff of our chickens. So I’m halfway through building a new colorbond coop kit that I hope will be more GSP proof than our previous run. Just need a decent break in the drizzle to finish the job.
We had RSPCA battery rescue chickens with our young Maltese Jack Russell when she was a pup… never any fear with them…. They would chase her around to her amusement and would deliberately hound them to get a reaction out of them 😂

Finished feeding out before the rain, inside before the start of the game, beer growler full, firewood barrow full. Happier days as yesterday i had to euthinise a calf.

View attachment 2060227
Nice tractor but shame about the calf :(
What happened?

Feet developed pretty bed hoof problems to the point she couldnt walk without having to kneel on front legs. Got to the point she was pretty much in constant discomfort.
Sorry to hear that mate, not nice :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Regional Roos Thread - Down on the farm Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

Back